News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

celluloid

What does a Disney that is “beating” YouTube and TikTok and Instagram look like? Because that sounds kind of awful to me…

As for Netflix, their model is based on producing huge quantities of bland, uninteresting garbage - far worse than anything Disney or any of its traditional studio competitors churns out. I don’t want that for Universal or Columbia or Paramount, let alone for Disney.
Come on, its not like The Disney Channel of the 2000s, which beat Disney Channel of the 80s and 90s was golden. Disney has been trying to do the hip thing and it does not work. See the aging coach comparison. It does not change the fact that the entertainment world has changed. Youtube has a lot more of GREAT things, it is just there is so much more garbage by nature of populace you have to find it.

Disney Plus has not had any bland garbage?

Youtube also making news this month as its outrageously expensive(remember also in the tv and streaming) service is thriving. https://www.thewrap.com/youtube-tv-strategy/

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Peltz would be one person on a 12 person board where the 11 other board members fully support Iger, you don’t think he’d be outnumbered?

Even if they somehow managed 2 seats they’d still be outnumbered 10-2… seems pretty obvious. This is also why I say he’d be a consultant, he’d be a minority voice, he wouldn’t have the power to do anything beyond offering advice, the board and Iger can either agree or ignore him. Not exactly rocket science here.
And then the backroom deals start. Whispers behind closed doors, and now 2 votes turns into 3, 4, 5, 6, etc., until they have a majority of the board voting for whatever they want. Something that many claim Iger has been doing for years. So if you don't think it can happen with Peltz just because he may only get 2 seats.....

Change is needed, sure we can all agree to that. But not this change.

Jrb1979

Which everyone knew would be the case when streaming mania launched. If Disney+ doesn’t turn a profit by year’s end, you’ve got a case.

By the way, notice how we’ve had to role in TikTok and YouTube and Instagram to mask that all Hollywood is struggling?
First I will say that what they are doing go those services is joke. It's obvious the majority of people aren't interested in what Hollywood is selling anymore. IMO by doing what they are doing to YouTube Instagram and TikTok, its going to make it worse.

Cause majority aren't interested in Hollywood anymore, I don't see how any of the become profitable.

Tha Realest

As for Netflix, their model is based on producing huge quantities of bland, uninteresting garbage - far worse than anything Disney or any of its traditional studio competitors churns out. I don’t want that for Universal or Columbia or Paramount, let alone for Disney.
In 2023 Disney films had 20 noms, with Netflix right behind at 19.

That same year, Disney tv and streamers had 104 combined Emmy nominations, Netflix had 103.

Your claims don’t bear out.

celluloid

That same year, Disney tv and streamers had 104 combined Emmy nominations, Netflix had 103.

Also since other studio names were dropped and their streaming services. The film with biggest wins of the night and one that had a win and noms can both be seen on Peacock owned and produced by Universal.

lazyboy97o

Peltz would be one person on a 12 person board where the 11 other board members fully support Iger, you don’t think he’d be outnumbered?

Even if they somehow managed 2 seats they’d still be outnumbered 10-2… seems pretty obvious. This is also why I say he’d be a consultant, he’d be a minority voice, he wouldn’t have the power to do anything beyond offering advice, the board and Iger can either agree or ignore him. Not exactly rocket science here.
I’m not talking about board decisions and votes. You were asked how Peltz would facilitate creativity and said you did not know. A big part of his plan, a point that he has publicized, is to have the board of directors more directly involved in the movie making process, including script approval.

That is a horrible idea. It is micromanaging of the worst sort. That is not a structure that will foster creativity. Instead of actually addressing that you went running to the “he couldn’t do anything” nonsense to hide behind. Peltz wouldn’t be in the position to launch a proxy fight, with a history of [personal] success, if he wasted his time tilting at windmills.

JD80

No idea, but change is needed. Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

I often compare Disney to a sports team, when they win you praise the coach, when they lose you want a coaching change, in this case Iger is the coach, 10 years ago Disney was the undisputed champ and Iger was viewed as the best coach in the world, over the last decade he’s has made a lot of questionable moves and now all their star players are stumbling, time for a coaching change.

There’s no guarantee a new coach will make the team better but we do know keeping the same team and keeping the same game plan does mean more losing.

This is the guy who cuts Tom Brady after the year he hurt his knee.

Casper Gutman

Just a little light reading.

Netflix is trying to change course right now, but it has pretty openly stated that its content model was shoveling low-quality programming.

lazyboy97o

And then the backroom deals start. Whispers behind closed doors, and now 2 votes turns into 3, 4, 5, 6, etc., until they have a majority of the board voting for whatever they want. Something that many claim Iger has been doing for years. So if you don't think it can happen with Peltz just because he may only get 2 seats.....

Change is needed, sure we can all agree to that. But not this change.
It’s also predicated on the idea that Peltz can’t seek more board seats in the future.

Casper Gutman

I’m not talking about board decisions and votes. You were asked how Peltz would facilitate creativity and said you did not know. A big part of his plan, a point that he has publicized, is to have the board of directors more directly involved in the movie making process, including script approval.

That is a horrible idea. It is micromanaging of the worst sort. That is not a structure that will foster creativity. Instead of actually addressing that you went running to the “he couldn’t do anything” nonsense to hide behind. Peltz wouldn’t be in the position to launch a proxy fight, with a history of [personal] success, if he wasted his time tilting at windmills.
But I was told Peltz just wanted to “streamline” the process to let creativity flourish?!?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom