News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Vegas Disney Fan

By your analogy, In the last ten years Disney has won seven or eight Superbowls. You’re trying to disassemble and sell the team after it just missed the playoffs.
This is where we see things differently, I view it as they won the Super Bowl from 2013-2016, in 2017 -2020 they made the playoffs, from 2021-2023 they missed the playoffs. Winning 4 SBs in a 10 year time span would absolutely buy most coaches some leeway but when the last one was 6 years ago, and they’re now consistently missing the playoffs, the nostalgia isn’t enough to keep them.

Casper Gutman

“The movie star system is largely dead,”

and

“Disney has a secret deal to bring back Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans to juice the next phase of Marvel”

Same person.
I’m genuinely curious - have you or Celluloid ever heard the term “star system?” Have you read anything about the film industry in the 80s or 90s? Do you read the trade press, where the death of the movie star has been very widely discussed?

Yes, a few stars who can regularly open movies still exist. Tom Cruise is one. But there are far fewer then before 2000 and, more importantly, they are not the organizing principle of mainstream Hollywood filmmaking anymore. Films are built around IPs, not star personas. Robert Downey Jr AS IRON MAN is a big deal. It’s a successful marriage of actor and IP. It would be rare, however, for a modern studio to build a major non-IP film around Downeys star persona - that gets you The Judge or The Soloist. This is a major change from how pre-2000 Hollywood operated.

Studios used to organize their slate: Schwarzenegger action film - Julia Roberts rom-com - Ashley Judd woman-in-peril thriller. Now they organize it: Marvel film - Star Wars film -Avatar film. This is what posters on these boards complain about CONSTANTLY.

Casper Gutman

For the 4,000th time…it is NOT a binary choice.
What is being discussed here IS A BINARY CHOICE. I know you want to have a different discussion - the same discussion you always want to have.

Look, let me make you feel better - almost everyone in this thread agrees that Iger needs to choose an awesome successor and step down as soon as possible. You’ve won! We all agree! Everyone here has been saying it for years and years on these boards! Yay!

celluloid

I’m genuinely curious - have you or Celluloid ever heard the term “star system?” Have you read anything about the film industry in the 80s or 90s? Do you read the trade press, where the death of the movie star has been very widely discussed?

Yes, a few stars who can regularly open movies still exist. Tom Cruise is one. But there are far fewer then before 2000 and, more importantly, they are not the organizing principle of mainstream Hollywood filmmaking anymore. Films are built around IPs, not star personas. Robert Downey Jr AS IRON MAN is a big deal. It’s a successful marriage of actor and IP. It would be rare, however, for a modern studio to build a major non-IP film around Downeys star persona - that gets you The Judge or The Soloist. This is a major change from how pre-2000 Hollywood operated.

Studios used to organize their slate: Schwarzenegger action film - Julia Roberts rom-com - Ashley Judd woman-in-peril thriller. Now they organize it: Marvel film - Star Wars film -Avatar film. This is what posters on these boards complain about CONSTANTLY.

Dude, you still reference Tom Cruise and ever since the last Mission Impossible Movie was a meh you have been claiming the star system is dead. That is your always example.
Tom Cruise has had flops throughout the last fifteen years.

There is still celebrity to be exploited and monetized in entertainment just like the star system did with contracts. It is not dead, it just changed.

The fact that you have referenced Tom Cruise again (whenever you bring this up) vs Chris Pratt or another makes it very evident.

Don't suffer old man syndrome.

Casper Gutman

This is where we see things differently, I view it as they won the Super Bowl from 2013-2016, in 2017 -2020 they made the playoffs, from 2021-2023 they missed the playoffs. Winning 4 SBs in a 10 year time span would absolutely buy most coaches some leeway but when the last one was 6 years ago, and they’re now consistently missing the playoffs, the nostalgia isn’t enough to keep them.
They were the most successful studio in almost all those years, including 2022.

Lilofan

Isn't that wild?

For one, other than a cameo like mentor role one day, Robert Downey Junior is done with it/Disney can't afford those guys in leading roles.

It is time to take a decade off and let the hype build for that kind of thing.
Robert Downey Jr/ Disney Legend just won another Oscar so he's in demand.

Casper Gutman

Dude, you still reference Tom Cruise and ever since the last Mission Impossible Movie was a meh you have been claiming the star system is dead. That is your always example.
Tom Cruise has had flops throughout the last fifteen years.

There is still celebrity to be exploited and monetized in entertainment just like the star system did with contracts. It is not dead, it just changed.

The fact that you have referenced Tom Cruise again (whenever you bring this up) vs Chris Pratt or another makes it very evident.

Don't suffer old man syndrome.
OK…

You don’t understand what “the star system is dead” means. I tried to explain and you ignored it. This conversation is futile.

Yes, “celebrity” still exists. We agree.

What is Chris Pratt’s “star persona?” What movies have been built around that persona? What non-IP movies has Pratt opened?

I’m not the one pretending nothing ever changes. Hollywood underwent a seismic shift in the early 2000s (and is undergoing another now). Denying that seems futile.

Vegas Disney Fan

They were the most successful studio in almost all those years, including 2022.
Yes, of the original teams they are still the best, but the expansion teams named Netflix, YouTube, TikTok, Instagram etc are all outplaying them and the original teams are all scrambling because none of them are making the playoffs.

Disney feels like a team ran by an aging coach who cant figure out why his game plan from 20 years ago isn’t working anymore.

lazyboy97o

No idea, but change is needed. Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

I often compare Disney to a sports team, when they win you praise the coach, when they lose you want a coaching change, in this case Iger is the coach, 10 years ago Disney was the undisputed champ and Iger was viewed as the best coach in the world, over the last decade he’s has made a lot of questionable moves and now all their star players are stumbling, time for a coaching change.

There’s no guarantee a new coach will make the team better but we do know keeping the same team and keeping the same game plan does mean more losing.
Do you actually not know or ignoring because it’s so ridiculous? Peltz wants the board more involved, micromanaging movie production. It’s like saying a team needs a new owner with no sports experience who will also take over at least some coaching.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What is being discussed here IS A BINARY CHOICE. I know you want to have a different discussion - the same discussion you always want to have.

Look, let me make you feel better - almost everyone in this thread agrees that Iger needs to choose an awesome successor and step down as soon as possible. You’ve won! We all agree! Everyone here has been saying it for years and years on these boards! Yay!

That’s you…it’s not a binary choice

Making it such eliminates depth to the discussion. “Good guys and bad guys” is for hasbro

Casper Gutman

Yes, of the original teams they are still the best, but the expansion teams named Netflix, YouTube, TikTok, Instagram etc are all outplaying them and the original teams are all scrambling because none of them are making the playoffs.

Disney feels like a team ran by an aging coach who cant figure out why his game plan from 20 years ago isn’t working anymore.
What does a Disney that is “beating” YouTube and TikTok and Instagram look like? Because that sounds kind of awful to me…

As for Netflix, their model is based on producing huge quantities of bland, uninteresting garbage - far worse than anything Disney or any of its traditional studio competitors churns out. I don’t want that for Universal or Columbia or Paramount, let alone for Disney.

Brian

As for Netflix, their model is based on producing huge quantities of bland, uninteresting garbage - far worse than anything Disney or any of its traditional studio competitors churns out. I don’t want that for Universal or Columbia or Paramount, let alone for Disney.
Bland Uninteresting Garbage is coincidentally the name of a new Hulu original series.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Do you actually not know or ignoring because it’s so ridiculous? Peltz wants the board more involved, micromanaging movie production. It’s like saying a team needs a new owner with no sports experience who will also take over at least some coaching.
We all have shortcomings…some have no idea how to process events and determine what bad management looks like…until the press conference

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Tell that to the Steelers who continue to stick with Tomlin even though he can't get the team back to the SB after 13 years and counting. Talk about teams that really needs to move on.... ;)

Vegas Disney Fan

Peltz wouldn’t be a new owner, he wouldn’t have anywhere near that much power, he’d be more like a new consultant giving the coach advice, the coach could take that advice or ignore it, but at least you’d have the coach hearing new ideas rather than just being surrounded by yes men telling him what an amazing job he’s doing while the team loses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom