News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

UNCgolf

Global subs excluding fickle and nearly free India subs.

So they may have just gotten a massive boost from Spectrum, depending on how many people actually took the time to go sign up for the free account. Although I guess people can sign up for Disney+ whenever as long as it continues to be bundled as part of the standard Spectrum account.

Disney is still making money off the Spectrum included accounts, though, because they only get the cheaper ad-supported tier -- thus Disney is getting the ad money.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So they could have just gotten a massive boost from Spectrum, depending on how many people actually took the time to go sign up for the free account.
Yes, they could have.

But these stats predate that deal.

Also, really, no one is counting subs any more. It's the revenue that counts regardless if it's from 30 people paying a million dollars a year or 30 million people paying one dollar a year.

Unless you get into a boasting match about who has the most viewers...

UNCgolf

Yes, they could have.

But these stats predate that deal.

Also, really, no one is counting subs any more. It's the revenue that counts regardless if it's from 30 people paying a million dollars a year or 30 million people paying one dollar a year.

Unless you get into a boasting match about who has the most viewers...

I just meant going forward.

I don't think they're getting any subscription revenue from the Spectrum accounts since it's free for Spectrum subscribers (i.e. their monthly payment doesn't change and it's included automatically), but they are getting the ad money, so it's still a boost.

They could still be getting some small percentage from Spectrum itself, although Spectrum would probably do a price increase to cover that. It was also part of the deal they made over ESPN carriage fees, so who knows.

Regardless, it's money Disney is getting they wouldn't otherwise have even if it's solely the advertising revenue.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

I think that’s the problem the dusters won’t hear…that they need higher fees and ads to make money…without mass exodus

Try threading that needle traveling at Mach 1
I think Disney is miscalculating ad tiers also, they see them as more profitable but ads will convince me to go back to Blu-ray’s also, I’m not going to pay to see ads when I can watch the content ad free by simply throwing in a Blu-ray.

They are walking a very fine line, with a lot of variables, between worth it or not.

Trauma

I forgive.

OMG... did we just become best friends!!!

;)

The algorithm has issues as I've mentioned, for new content.

But when it comes to sequels? The algorithm is king.
We can be best friends if you let me partake in the morning dive you take each day into your vault of pixie dust.

Like Uncle Scrooge except with smiles rainbows and Bob Iger posters.

Think of the good times we can have together.

I’ll even look at some charts and graphs with you as we reminisce about what Star Cruiser could have been.

( This is all in jest. I’m not attacking you. You are the best )

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think Disney is miscalculating ad tiers also, they see them as more profitable but ads will convince me to go back to Blu-ray’s also, I’m not going to pay to see ads when I can watch the content ad free by simply throwing in a Blu-ray.

They are walking a very fine line, with a lot of variables, between worth it or not.
This is one of these things where my instincts were totally wrong (listen up pixies)

I thought the concept of D+ was gonna be their new gravy train…like plushies and vhs tapes used to be…

But I missed on that. There’s really no money in the format…the costs will escalate and there no way to outpace it with revenues…

The math isn’t there.

They probably should have bought Hulu and used that as an outlet…with other licenses material…maybe make a Disney sub within that…and heavily pushed into RSNs - the ultimate ad friendly medium - instead.

Maybe less “potential” on paper…but also less volatile and more guaranteed revenues.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Amazon blowing past it to Number 2.
I'd like to see a source for Amazon Prime Video. 200M is thrown around in the internet with no source that I can find (that isn't a guess).

And Prime doesn't reveal their numbers. So much so, most sites that track the streaming wars don't bother with Prime stats. And not only because of the lack of transparency, but because Amazon Prime customers are automatically enrolled in Prime Video.

If people want to discount all the Disney+ subs that come from deals with Verizon and other companies... Well, Prime Video says, "Hold my beer."

Anyhoo, Disney+ & Hulu are just about at that same 200M threshold, and goes over if you include ESPN+ (and by 2025, all of ESPN cable will be on ESPN+). By March, Hulu will be fully integrated into D+.

But that's just bragging rights for number of viewers. Revenue is what matters. And Disney has been publishing a full streaming spreadsheet these past few quarters showing income and expenses. Will wait for Prime Video's spreadsheet...

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
newly-returned-disney-ceo-bob-iger-is-cutting-7000-jobs-and-reorganizing-the-company.jpg
That’s Bob when he saw the financial forecast

Trauma

I'd like to see a source for Amazon Prime Video. 200M is thrown around in the internet with no source that I can find (that isn't a guess).

And Prime doesn't reveal their numbers. So much so, most sites that track the streaming wars don't bother with Prime stats. And not only because of the lack of transparency, but because Amazon Prime customers are automatically enrolled in Prime Video.

If people want to discount all the Disney+ subs that come from deals with Verizon and other companies... Well, Prime Video says, "Hold my beer."

Anyhoo, Disney+ & Hulu are just about at that same 200M threshold, and goes over if you include ESPN+ (and by 2025, all of ESPN cable will be on ESPN+). By March, Hulu will be fully integrated into D+.

But that's just bragging rights for number of viewers. Revenue is what matters. And Disney has been publishing a full streaming spreadsheet these past few quarters showing income and expenses. Will wait for Prime Video's spreadsheet...
We really don’t want to compare Amazon to Disney revenue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom