News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I've seen two or three people in an MCU Facebook group who will each personally contribute thousands of minutes per month to the streaming of "The Marvels" once it is released on Disney+. They are over-the-top obsessed with the movie, bragging about their dozens of theater viewings plus all forms of merchandise, but I suspect the obsession is with the actress who plays Captain Marvel.

Think they will single-handedly push 'The Marvels' to profitability? Nah, I don't think so, either, it's too far in the hole. 🦨

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Fun fact: If your goal is to sell stuff online…having a stable platform might be a wise investment
That poor guy must have so many ulcers by now.

1705964150414.jpeg

denyuntilcaught

But that's just bragging rights for number of viewers. Revenue is what matters. And Disney has been publishing a full streaming spreadsheet these past few quarters showing income and expenses. Will wait for Prime Video's spreadsheet...
While Prime Video is focusing on revenue, like all streamers, I'd argue it's closer to an Apple TV+ than a Disney+ in terms of importance (and desparation) to push towards revenue. The new PV ad-tier will help, along with the consolidation of Freevee into Prime Video, but it still exists as a company darling due to its ability to drive most new Prime subscriptions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'd like to see a source for Amazon Prime Video. 200M is thrown around in the internet with no source that I can find (that isn't a guess).

And Prime doesn't reveal their numbers. So much so, most sites that track the streaming wars don't bother with Prime stats. And not only because of the lack of transparency, but because Amazon Prime customers are automatically enrolled in Prime Video.

If people want to discount all the Disney+ subs that come from deals with Verizon and other companies... Well, Prime Video says, "Hold my beer."

Anyhoo, Disney+ & Hulu are just about at that same 200M threshold, and goes over if you include ESPN+ (and by 2025, all of ESPN cable will be on ESPN+). By March, Hulu will be fully integrated into D+.

But that's just bragging rights for number of viewers. Revenue is what matters. And Disney has been publishing a full streaming spreadsheet these past few quarters showing income and expenses. Will wait for Prime Video's spreadsheet...
Amazon has the luxury of a loss leader

Disney…does not

UNCgolf

I'd like to see a source for Amazon Prime Video. 200M is thrown around in the internet with no source that I can find (that isn't a guess).

And Prime doesn't reveal their numbers. So much so, most sites that track the streaming wars don't bother with Prime stats. And not only because of the lack of transparency, but because Amazon Prime customers are automatically enrolled in Prime Video.

If people want to discount all the Disney+ subs that come from deals with Verizon and other companies... Well, Prime Video says, "Hold my beer."

Anyhoo, Disney+ & Hulu are just about at that same 200M threshold, and goes over if you include ESPN+ (and by 2025, all of ESPN cable will be on ESPN+). By March, Hulu will be fully integrated into D+.

Yeah, I'm technically a Prime Video subscriber since I have Amazon Prime, but I'm not sure I've ever watched a single thing on it. If I have, it was at least a couple of years ago.

Ayla

I've seen two or three people in an MCU Facebook group who will each personally contribute thousands of minutes per month to the streaming of "The Marvels" once it is released on Disney+. They are over-the-top obsessed with the movie, bragging about their dozens of theater viewings plus all forms of merchandise, but I suspect the obsession is with the actress who plays Captain Marvel.

Think they will single-handedly push 'The Marvels' to profitability? Nah, I don't think so, either, it's too far in the hole. 🦨
🤢

orky8

This. Direct-to-Consumer gives Disney total control and all the user behavior data. Data is the real key here. They KNOW what people actually watch (not just what they say they watch), when, where, and on which devices. They know which content are effective gateways to other content.

I read once this neat article about how Netflix used A/B testing to figure out the optimal thumbnail to show different types of users that would make them much more likely to click and to watch.
And yet they keep producing flops. But at least they have the data to know it….

orky8

The biggest streamer is actually YouTube.

And YouTube got that big because of... algorithm.

Same with TikTok.

So, you bet the streaming data from D+ and Hulu are being datamined.

Plus, third party companies monitor all the data they can get from they're poling and participants (think Nielsen). And this gets sold to all the streamers so they know what their competitors are doing.

Of course, datamining isn't going to accurately forecast how a new piece of content is going to do.

A Zach Snyder version of Star Wars? YES!!! WE ALL WANT THAT!!​
Oops...​
I disagree. You are trying to connect two similar but very different models. TikTok and YouTube aren’t content creators. Their algorithms allow them to mine the millions of junk videos to find the viral ones. They spend nothing on content creation and have literally millions of videos made for them for free. Disney tried going gangbusters on content and it cost them a fortune. When you are paying to create the content, algorithms to mine out the junk still leave you broke.

Vegas Disney Fan

I disagree. You are trying to connect two similar but very different models. TikTok and YouTube aren’t content creators. Their algorithms allow them to mine the millions of junk videos to find the viral ones. They spend nothing on content creation and have literally millions of videos made for them for free. Disney tried going gangbusters on content and it cost them a fortune. When you are paying to create the content, algorithms to mine out the junk still leave you broke.
And even the junk gets views, part of the genius of YouTube is they only pay for the hits, the duds are absolutely free. I think I read it was 100,000 views before any channel makes a single cent, YouTube has some overhead but otherwise are guaranteed to make money because they only pay for content that makes YouTube money.

_caleb

I'm pretty sure we all know how YouTube works.

It's a competitor for consumer eyeballs. Customer attention is what's finite here, not content (or even money).

denyuntilcaught

This. Direct-to-Consumer gives Disney total control and all the user behavior data. Data is the real key here. They KNOW what people actually watch (not just what they say they watch), when, where, and on which devices. They know which content are effective gateways to other content.

I read once this neat article about how Netflix used A/B testing to figure out the optimal thumbnail to show different types of users that would make them much more likely to click and to watch.
This is all valid and true, but where this argument falls apart is the knowledge that what happens at the development side is typically vastly disconnected from the platform side that has all of the data you mention above.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom