News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Kamikaze

When did Chapek become the choice? How many years did that take? How many years was he trained?
When Staggs left (technically before). Staggs asked if he was going to be chosen, was told no, and left the Company.

Chapek was 'trained' by being moved around to the different divisions. Clearly that's the correct procedure, it was just the wrong person to do it.

Lilofan

When Staggs left (technically before). Staggs asked if he was going to be chosen, was told no, and left the Company.

Chapek was 'trained' by being moved around to the different divisions. Clearly that's the correct procedure, it was just the wrong person to do it.
Staggs and Rasulo switched exec roles both of them reporting to Iger. Both when told that the Board had no faith in them to lead the company then both of them quit.

Kamikaze

Chapek and Rasulo switched exec roles both of them reporting to Iger. Both when told that the Board had no faith in them to lead the company then both of them quit.
Edit: Staggs and Rasulo, and yes and no. They didn't leave at the same time and Rasulo was never going to be the choice.

Sir_Cliff

My question is, will "we" be willing consumers of AI generated content? I'm going to guess yes a great many will be.
I am also betting a lot will.

It's been surprising to me how quickly universities are throwing in the towel about forbidding students to use AI and instead trying to find ways it can be used 'intelligently'. If we're at the point students are going to be coming out of college as co-authors of their assignments with AI, I suspect there will be little resistance to consuming entertainment largely produced by AI.

But, I am not willing to criticise Iger for ushering in the era of AI at Disney based on the argument of "I wouldn't put it past him."

lazyboy97o

So Chapek was the definitive choice by early 2016 (which is so long after 2014). Something kept secret despite years of promises to have an announced succession plan.

Being in charge of consumer products, then parks, then a combined parks and consumer products is so many different divisions to moved around during your four years of unannounced training. It explains so clearly why they didn’t have him take on the role of COO.

el_super

Being in charge of consumer products, then parks, then a combined parks and consumer products is so many different divisions to moved around during your four years of unannounced training. It explains so clearly why they didn’t have him take on the role of COO.

Both things can be true. Iger could have wanted him to be the next CEO as early as 2014, but the board did not.

Iger wanted someone from Parks to be the CEO because it makes a lot of logical sense: you have the experience of running a major division of the company, without all the drama and ego associated with the studio/media side. There has always been this outside pressure to pick a media person to run a media company, but Iger has resisted that thinking for a long time now. And yeah, the irony there isn't really lost on me.

But the board hasn't wanted that. They didn't want Rasulo or Staggs. They started making comments about pushing for an external candidate long ago. So the two sides were at an impasse for years until Iger forced the issue with Covid, probably before anyone was really ready to commit either way.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So, 6 years wasn't enough time to find a successor the first time and they had to go with the unpolished, and wholly incapable, crap peddling buffoon because everyone else left. But this time, they'll get the right one in 4 years (when they haven't even started the process yet)? Time for a lot of people to smell what's being shoveled. This has been, and always will be, Iger's ego refusing to let go of the reigns (that he never should have been handed in the first place).

I said it before and I'll say it again - We're going to have to wait to see the white smoke.

LSLS

So Chapek was the definitive choice by early 2016 (which is so long after 2014). Something kept secret despite years of promises to have an announced succession plan.

And he was picked and trained so well Iger felt the need to announce he was sticking around an extra year after leaving to mentor and help him with this job he was picked for 4 years before.

LSLS

Him leaving does not mean Iger had picked someone else, it just means he was told it wouldn't be him.

Kamikaze

Why does 2014 matter?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes. And thats why rushing the decision for the sake of 'getting rid' of Iger is a horrendous idea.

There is a very, very limited pool of people in the world that can run a behemoth thats as large and diverse as TWDC. This isn't an easy find.
The best way to find someone new is to Search the pool!!

They have ZERO effort to even look.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom