News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Kamikaze

They’ve had like ten years. This isn’t Iger’s first or even second extension to allow more time to develop the succession plan.
You're neglecting that the first plan was Chapek and that didn't work out, so any time BC (Before Chapek) was essentially wasted. And since they lost all the other candidates because of that choice (and everyone else left under Chapek's tenure), there wasn't anyone else to train up in the two years. D'Amaro is literally the only possible internal candidate as it stands.

ohioguy

Hmmmm...... so they extended Iger's contract through 2026? You know whose contract at Apple is up in 2026? Tim Cook. Bring him in!

Kamikaze

this trainwreck if he doesnt find a way to stop the bleeding will be taken over before his 3 years are up.. i kid but lest face it Iger has done nothing at all to show he is willing to find a true replacement
Its not as much of a 'trainwreck' as gloomers would have you believe. They aren't growing at the rate they want, thats the problem. But there's no 'bleeding' going on.

Its often lost around here that what fans think of the parks and how they are being operated are not directly correlated to the Company and more importantly the stock price/performance. We might discuss in too much detail how crowded or overpriced or underwhelming the parks and resorts are, but as long as 'Stonks only go up' or at the very least stays stable, the overall perception of the Company and management is going to be fine.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

You're neglecting that the first plan was Chapek and that didn't work out, so any time BC (Before Chapek) was essentially wasted. And since they lost all the other candidates because of that choice (and everyone else left under Chapek's tenure), there wasn't anyone else to train up in the two years. D'Amaro is literally the only possible internal candidate as it stands.
You’re really going to try and claim Chapek was the plan in 2014?

If they need more than two years to train someone then they need someone now so that the training can begin.

Trauma

Now, when you're done purposely misconstruing what I said, let's take a look at your ability to prognosticate...

LOL. You really have your ear to the street, there, fella.
Sure let’s just ignore the 50 times you reminded me that Iger would be leaving at the end of his contract.

Just like you defended Failcruiser for 500 pages but in one post you did say it was kinda expensive so you knew it was going to fail all along.

With the track record you have had lately, if you told me the sun was going to rise tomorrow, I would kiss my Wife and Kids goodbye because the asteroid is coming.

Splash4eva

Its not as much of a 'trainwreck' as gloomers would have you believe. They aren't growing at the rate they want, thats the problem. But there's no 'bleeding' going on.

Its often lost around here that what fans think of the parks and how they are being operated are not directly correlated to the Company and more importantly the stock price/performance. We might discuss in too much detail how crowded or overpriced or underwhelming the parks and resorts are, but as long as 'Stonks only go up' or at the very least stays stable, the overall perception of the Company and management is going to be fine.
I work basically on Wall St so yes im aware that the DIS company is more than P&R but the stock has not been some shining star & Iger has far from been a savior ....

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'd love for you to point out exactly what I said that isn't true. Facts only.
So what do you consider a “fact”? The truth or only what someone in a nametag tells you when they’re mic’d up?

Because if I’m gonna tell you what is actually going on…it’s gonna take some Brain juice
You can't find a candidate if none exist.

Who has the requisite experience to run as diverse and expansive company as TWDC?

We tried Chapek, everyone knows how that went.

The only real candidates have to be internal, and that takes years to move someone to various sectors of the company to train them about each area enough. This isn't the Eisner takeover where the company was much smaller (until he created most of what Iger built on top of) to make it this size.

You seem to confuse a smart business decision with the best possible scenario. What's the best possible scenario? Two people, one business and one creative, running TWDC. But Iger isn't going to share power at this point, and there's not a top level creative currently thats big enough to take over. They have three years now to get the right people in place.

Di$neyCPA

Fundamentally, TWDC is a media company with P&R. In that way, it is more like Universal than most would care to admit. It is not a vacation company that happens to have media. That said, the question of who might succeed turns in part on what lesson they draw from Chapek. If Iger is so bullish on parks, the lesson may not be that you need a media person to run the company. Per Iger’s own narrative, he was promoted to positions he wasn’t necessarily “ready” for because he was recognized for his talent. If the BoD thinks the “safe” pick is someone from media, then Josh is out. If it is mostly about EQ, soft skills and leadership (rather than specific experience), he might have a shot. They also have to replace the permanent CFO and it is likely they look to install them as a team, even if not at the same exact time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Fundamentally, TWDC is a media company with P&R. In that way, it is more like Universal than most would care to admit. It is not a vacation company that happens to have media. That said, the question of who might succeed turns in part on what lesson they draw from Chapek. If Iger is so bullish on parks, the lesson may not be that you need a media person to run the company. Per Iger’s own narrative, he was promoted to positions he wasn’t necessarily “ready” for because he was recognized for his talent. If the BoD thinks the “safe” pick is someone from media, then Josh is out. If it is mostly about EQ, soft skills and leadership (rather than specific experience), he might have a shot. They also have to replace the permanent CFO and it is likely they look to install them as a team, even if not at the same exact time.
Boy that’s sure a nice story from Bob…

It’s not how it happened…but cute

He is right about one thing and it’s being ignored with all this “who’s out there?” Nonsense

Literally hundreds of people can be put in charge…but zero would be veterans on day 1.
That’s basically life…but you make wagers on talent…even a big behemoth.

It’s not a family business…that’s the only other scenario in “succession”. And that’s obviously not great either.

Last edited:

Kamikaze

You’re really going to try and claim Chapek was the plan in 2014?

If they need more than two years to train someone then they need someone now so that the training can begin.
That isn't what I said. Chapek was who they went with. He was the only choice left at the time. It was the wrong choice, obviously. So any 'searching' before that was wasted. It doesn't matter if it was 2014 or 2020.

lazyboy97o

That isn't what I said. Chapek was who they went with. He was the only choice left at the time. It was the wrong choice, obviously. So any 'searching' before that was wasted. It doesn't matter if it was 2014 or 2020.
Chapek is who they went with after years of searching. That was after multiple extensions to continue searching. That time counts because every extension was the result of failure to complete the task, a serious of failures that culminated in Chapek. That same process is now occurring again with the expectation that this time it will yield different results.

When was the last time you got a stellar performance review despite repeatedly not completing a central task and then just completely messing it up?

Nubs70

The good thing I can say about this interview: Iger is speaking to the conglomerate as a whole and not trying to be the face of the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom