'The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend'

Blueskyze

Let's see, advice.

-You gotta stay at a Host Resort to make transport easiest.
-Don't just go to ESPN to get your race stuff: walk around, look at vendors, sample freebies, don't be in such a rush.
-Race starts at night--don't worry about being on your feet all day. Walking around a park is the best warmup.
-Wearing a little something extra is fun. Last ToT I wore only shorts and a mickey pirate bandana.
-For your first race, get there relatively early. It's fun with the photo ops, DJ dance parties, etc.
-Walk up to the FRONT of your corral and start there.
-The faster you finish, the more EMPTY the afterparty is. I usually get my OWN private elevator for ToT.
-Wear your medal on ToT, and buy the picture!
-RnRC and TSM will also be walkons for a LARGE portion of the night!
-Head back to your Resort and soak in the hottub before bed. If you stay at Yacht/Beach/BoardWalk, walk back for an awesome cool down.
-Wear your medal proudly the entire next day. It's an accomplishment. You will be congratulated, it's a lot of fun!!

Thanks! Very good advice! :)

JillC LI

-Race starts at night--don't worry about being on your feet all day. Walking around a park is the best warmup.

This is the one piece of advice I'm not sure I agree with. It depends on the runner. For someone who has never gone this distance, they might not want to be touring the Parks from sun-up til sun-down on race day. I was a well-established runner who ran this distance all the time, and I have to say that I was a bit tired by race time after a week in the Parks and a full day in the Parks on race day. Fortunately, I was just running for fun, not speed. But being on your feet all day does affect energy level for a night-time race. Some light daytime Park touring for a newbie, no problem.

dreamfinder

.... It depends on the runner. ....

This. It's usually advised to do a training run as close to the actual race start time as you can get. So some Saturday before the race, plan on trying to do a 10Mish run as close to 10PM as you can get. This may mean doing laps at a track wearing a headlamp, going to your 24 hr gym, or if none of those are options, pushing it back as late as you feel comfortable. And in this case, I'd suggest making sure you do a normal day beforehand, to help simulate a full day in the parks.

I've been crazy enough to do a 5k in the AM, full day in the parks from rope drop til close, and then the longer race at night, followed by the post race party til close. I wouldn't recommend this to most people, but it's about knowing your body, how far you can push it, and taking it from there.

surfsupdon

I've been crazy enough to do a 5k in the AM, full day in the parks from rope drop til close, and then the longer race at night, followed by the post race party til close. I wouldn't recommend this to most people, but it's about knowing your body, how far you can push it, and taking it from there.

You forget Eating your way around the World at Epcot for lunch/dinner. So when you're running you have a belly full of barramundi, scallops, escargots, etc.

It's the only way to do W&D weekend lol.

But you are correct, you need to know your body. I can do all those things, like you, but that is NOT for everyone.

JillC LI

You forget Eating your way around the World at Epcot for lunch/dinner. So when you're running you have a belly full of barramundi, scallops, escargots, etc.

I ran the TOT13K with a belly FULL of an enormous dinner from Le Cellier including tons of pretzel bread, cheddar cheeese soup, steak, potatoes, and chocolate cake. Left the restaurant at 8pm and race started at 10pm. Felt it sloshing around the whole race. Not the most pleasant sensation, but I enjoyed myself nonetheless. As I said above, I was not running it for a PR, just for the Disney race experience.

amy1985

Does anyone know how busy the parks/ hotels generally are during the week of the race ( roughly Friday to Friday)? attendance charts put it as yellow. We just got back from a family trip march 5-9 ( not our choice of dates). This was spring training and schools from around the country were there and everything was just super crowded- we looked on the attendance chart and it was yellow, which makes me question if we should even plan to go to the parks while we're there in October or if it's just too busy. Thank you

Texas84

Does anyone know how busy the parks/ hotels generally are during the week of the race ( roughly Friday to Friday)? attendance charts put it as yellow. We just got back from a family trip march 5-9 ( not our choice of dates). This was spring training and schools from around the country were there and everything was just super crowded- we looked on the attendance chart and it was yellow, which makes me question if we should even plan to go to the parks while we're there in October or if it's just too busy. Thank you

I didn't think the crowds were that bad, even over the weekend. MK gets crowded around lunch.

imagination30

Im looking at doing this next year , but I need some advice about for spectors,
ive heard there is none .. only at the finish line , so would they need to come with the runners , just like marathon weekend? , if some on can post visulas im a much better with those! .. thanks

AUPr8Hd

Does anyone who has run the race before know if there are any restrooms available on the course?

unfortunately, this race is one that spends very little time in the parks. If you want real bathrooms, then the only options will be in WWoS (prior to the loop on the track is the only one I can think of) and Hollywood Studios (there are a couple options here).

The earliest you'll get real bathrooms will be just after mile 5 then not again until mile 9.

tsp

This is my first rundisney race and I have a question for you TOT veterans. Anyone know if you can walk from your resort to the Start? Or do you have to go over to the ESPN center and take the shuttle. I am staying at Boardwalk and would prefer to just walk over then riding a shuttle to ESPN and then over to the park.

Thanks!!

tsp

RunDisney support finally responded. :) According to the response I received it is ok to walk over to start.
"""
Thank you for your inquiry. You may walk from Disney's BoardWalk Villas
to the start area or utilize the host resort transportation which will
take you directly to Disney's Hollywood Studios. Please let us know if
we can provide further assistance or clarification.

We look forward to seeing you in October!
runDisney
"""

dreamfinder

This is my first rundisney race and I have a question for you TOT veterans. Anyone know if you can walk from your resort to the Start? Or do you have to go over to the ESPN center and take the shuttle. I am staying at Boardwalk and would prefer to just walk over then riding a shuttle to ESPN and then over to the park.

Thanks!!

You can definitely just walk over. Did it last year. My DW left Epcot took my park bag and went to the resort to sleep, I walked out the international gateway, through Boardwalk, over to the proper parking lot area. Just make sure to pay attention to the cars and CMs in the DHS parking area, not necessarily as safe for pedestrians as one might think.

Texas84

Medals
FB_20140630_12_47_24_Saved_Picture.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom