The truth about Jersey week

slappy magoo

You know what's rude? Telling someone they are rude for telling the truth. If you don't like the reputation that your fellow New Jersians have earned for all New Jersians (nice and jerks included), then you should be chiding the obnoxious New Jersians not a poster on these boards that states a fact.

I've been dealing with people who have preconceived notions about people from New Orleans for years, e.g., we all speak with cajun accents, we all go to school barefooted, (and now with the media attention of Katrina) we're all criminals, all ignorant, etc. etc. Are people that think those things rude? No, they are not. They are only going on what they know (or think they know). Is it annoying? Sure, especially when you speak to someone and address their misconceptions, but they won't listen and refuse to see that their misconceptions are, just that, MISconceptions.

That notwithstanding, if you have a problem with the fact that people perceive residents of your (former) state as rude. You have two choices: 1) correct their misconception by being nice and kind and PATIENT or 2) confirm their beliefs by making a post like the one you did make.

Johnny

P.S. I have actually had the pleasure of visiting New Jersey. I went to a gathering of students from several Salesian high schools (the Salesians are a Roman Catholic religious order) in the eastern U.S. We stayed at Don Bosco Tech in Patterson, New Jersey. Everyone we met was great. Unfortunately, a few truly obnoxious people (from New Jersey and anywhere else) do spoil it for the rest of the good people.

Heh, kind of ironic, but the fact that you yourself pointed out that the rude reputation was created by "fellow New Jersians (who) have earned (it) for all New Jersians," you're actually admitting that not all New Jerseyians are like that, rendering your comment "...then you should be chiding the obnoxious New Jersians not a poster on these boards that states a fact," as factually inaccurate. It can't be "all New Jerseyians are rude" if it is a reputation created by "some New Jerseyians." Every square is a rectangle but not every rectangle is a square and all that.

A rude New Jerseyian might point out how closed-minded and sad your attempt to logically claim an opinion and a stereotype as fact truly is, and that if you don't want anyone lumping you in with a stereotype of people from an entire region, you'd be wise not to do it yourself. I'll leave that for a rude New Jerseyian to say.

Lately, there have been lots of man on the street interviews with people offering up their opinions on Michael Richards' racist comments at the Comedy Store in L.A. I am in no way endorsing Richards' comments, nor am I trying to explain them, but I did find it sadly ironic that many people would voice their disgust at his racist comments, then follow it with their own preconceived notions, like "what do you expect from a _______? He's just like all the other _______." Whether it was racist (he's White!) or anti-semitic ("He's Jewish! Except that he's not, but everyone thinks he is, and that's good enough for me to hate him if I hate Jewish people!"), plenty of people exposed their own intolerance while deriding his.

I find your comments eerily, sadly similar.

CelticRose

I lived n Jersey as a kid, Long Branch. Father was in the military at Ft Monmoth. While watching the Sopranos one night, Tony was on the boardwalk at Asbury Park it brought back great memories of going there as a kid.

I totally agree with the AC comments, don't leave the boardwalk!

I miss the Jersey tomatos, they are the best!

On the subject of rudeness, I was just discussing this topic with a co-worker this morning. I have a friend who has lived here on the coast for 15 years, she is from Eatontown and I wish sometimes I could be like her and tell certain people the way it is, instead of being a genteel southerner and keeping my mouth shut. Perhaps they can offer a crash course for us?

tink rules

Gee... and we never thought we'd be so nostalgic for Jersey...

And is that barrier for real???? Wonder what highway it came off of!!!!

(& what exit...)

Kriszee1

Hi everybody...Exit 82(Seaside Heights)...Toms River respresentin'! I work for a public school district and we spent the week there. We went to Epcot on Monday....GREAT...not crowded practically walked onto everything. Tuesday, MK....busy, not too insane. AK..."forget about it"...on Wednesday. That was mobbed! Friday was MK again....mobbed, but not too awful. Saturday at Studios....all I have to say is NEVER AGAIN! We went there for my mother-in-law to get to see some stars. Chaos & Mayhem.:brick: Even with the DReam Fastpass it took 20/30 minutes for RnR & ToT! I had a great time, but we planne done for next year from the Thursday of Convention to the following Saturday. I don't know about the rest of my fellow New Jerseyans, but I believe we are bigger tippers than anybody else. Any group of people that generous can't be that rude and if we are we use $$ to compensate for it! LOL:lol: . But just like everywhere else, there are a***oles EVERYWHERE! I saw quite a few on Black Friday at Target!:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom