The trees in front of Haunted Mansion have been cut down

Cmdr_Crimson

You should have seen the "early years"
748935780_e26e6fe3fb_b.jpg

Fable McCloud

You should have seen the "early years"
748935780_e26e6fe3fb_b.jpg
Look at that view! Stunning, and it looks so much bigger this way. It really does look imposing and ominous, not to mention mysterious. The gaze is really drawn to it. Really wish I could have seen it this way, but I wasn't alive yet. Anyone have any photos from 1986? I'd love to see a visual retrospective through the years.

geekza

Look at that view! Stunning, and it looks so much bigger this way. It really does look imposing and ominous, not to mention mysterious. The gaze is really drawn to it. Really wish I could have seen it this way, but I wasn't alive yet. Anyone have any photos from 1986? I'd love to see a visual retrospective through the years.
I'm still searching, but your best bet (if you don't mind spending a few bucks) is to get this book.

This page has one image, but it's from 1980.

Here's another one that is all Haunted Mansion photos, but most don't have dates.

I love RetroWDW.com. It's a great resource.

Last edited:

clarabellej

Unfortunately, the trees in front of the mansion have been removed. I don’t care for this new look. Hopefully they aren’t done.
View attachment 317954
I think WDW in general is lacking in trees all things green. The new hub area is so concrete and cluttered with lamp posts. There are large swaths of concrete walkways in New Fantasyland. What little nature there is is very pretty. I love the tree across from Sunshine Terrace in Adventureland. And when we make it on time before the azaleas drop there blooms on the walkway to Epcot’s entry, it is such a bonus. I swear when we visited DL, it had more lovely flower beds. At WDW they seem to be shrinking. I agree that the willowy trees outside HM added something. Maybe they will replant.

tnolan

"I’d sure like to see the canopy go" was mentioned but if they took away the canopy wouldn't that leave everyone waiting out in the sun?

I remember when the front of the mansion had formal French Parterre gardens on the front lawn... with less overgrowth the house itserlf looked larger and more ominous... Over the years the natural growth has filled in which was good, and the trees were added to the front lawn I think in the 90s...so they were far from the original intent...
With the front canopy now being so huge, you can't even see the house except for across the water and certain areas outdide of the gates...
I like the iodea of opening up the lawn a bit...
View attachment 317996
Hey, look! Show building!

Goofyernmost

Personally, I have never understood the concept of a pristine Mansion that is deserted except for 999 ghosts. Who does the landscaping and why. Wouldn't looking spooky enhance the experience and make it seem more real? Is it still being done by the caretaker that is shaking in the cemetery. Who pays him to stick around? Oh, well, I guess if we have to use that suspension of disbelief on this, I guess I can do it.:happy:

Animaniac93-98

"I’d sure like to see the canopy go" was mentioned but if they took away the canopy wouldn't that leave everyone waiting out in the sun?

I suggested in another thread I made that they build a proper roof for the queue.

Alternatively, they could have stand-by people walk down to the Keelboat dock, and take a covered boardwalk along the existing brick wall from river level up to the graveyard. Then they can have the uncovered grounds for FP+ guests and more space for those who want to take pictures before or after the ride.

180º

Hi, that was me. 😊 That’s why I suggested ripping out the interactive queue and replacing it with lots and lots of switchbacks. Then, pull the entrance all the way back to the brick breezeway at the far end of the facade, rip out the canopy, the entrance gates and (as @The Empress Lilly suggested) the old Fastpass distribution area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom