The trees in front of Haunted Mansion have been cut down

rle4lunch

Walt's approach to... well, everything, was all about good show and design. And so it goes for the Imagineers who sometimes follow this (Pandora) and sometimes don't (Toy Story Land). Obviously, a board of Disney nerds is going to talk about a major change to one of the most famous attractions in the WORLD. So, pppfft! Not SMH.

lol. it looks like it was 2 trees. whoopdy doo basil... what's it all mean?

here's my two cents; it looks fine either way.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Yah know? It's possible that those trees were a bit sick :(. We don't know. It's poor if WDW allows a sick tree to fall, and crush people - just cleaning up the mess can be serious work :).

If NEW trees are going in? Perhaps this was not a "site line" thing?

AshaNeOmah

I remember when the front of the mansion had formal French Parterre gardens on the front lawn... with less overgrowth the house itserlf looked larger and more ominous... Over the years the natural growth has filled in which was good, and the trees were added to the front lawn I think in the 90s...so they were far from the original intent...
With the front canopy now being so huge, you can't even see the house except for across the water and certain areas outdide of the gates...
I like the iodea of opening up the lawn a bit...

I've been going to WDW since the early 90's on a yearly basis and I've never put together the original intent for the HM facade and queue. After seeing this image, it absolutely makes sense! I can only remember life with the canopy and the entrance moved to the steamboat dock.

It never crossed my mind that the walkway extended around the river with an unobstructed view of the mansion and the round area with the carriage was actually a courtyard... Wow...

If Magic Kingdom ever gets the Disneyland treatment (the back half of Rivers of America partially filled in and a new/expanded Frontierland) maybe we can get that view back.

Timothy_Q

tenor.gif
Then don't comment on it

Goofyernmost

It never crossed my mind that the walkway extended around the river with an unobstructed view of the mansion and the round area with the carriage was actually a courtyard... Wow...
I'm not sure I'm reading your post correctly. That walkway is what is now covered. The same one. Even with the canopy the front of the Mansion was always visible. Except for the canopy and the trees that have grown over the past 47 years, those have changed, but, nothing else has. If that is not what you are talking about, I apologize. I read it a multiple number of times and really wasn't sure what you are referring too.

Yea, I know.... then why am I commenting on it? Because I can. ;)

AshaNeOmah

I'm not sure I'm reading your post correctly. That walkway is what is now covered. The same one. Even with the canopy the front of the Mansion was always visible. Except for the canopy and the trees that have grown over the past 47 years, those have changed, but, nothing else has. If that is not what you are talking about, I apologize. I read it a multiple number of times and really wasn't sure what you are referring too.

Yea, I know.... then why am I commenting on it? Because I can. ;)

From the looks of that picture, the HM line doesn't actually start until the far left. You need to walk past the exposed mansion facade to get to the ride entrance, without actually being in line for the ride at that point.

You can see the line stretching past the official entrance, like it does currently for the Mine Train, but there are also people loitering in the area that would now be the canopy covered queue.

Am I seeing it wrong?

SteamboatJoe

I remember when the front of the mansion had formal French Parterre gardens on the front lawn... with less overgrowth the house itserlf looked larger and more ominous... Over the years the natural growth has filled in which was good, and the trees were added to the front lawn I think in the 90s...so they were far from the original intent...
With the front canopy now being so huge, you can't even see the house except for across the water and certain areas outdide of the gates...
I like the iodea of opening up the lawn a bit...
View attachment 317996
Ahhhhh show building visible....immersion ruined! I demand free tickets for life!

Goofyernmost

From the looks of that picture, the HM line doesn't actually start until the far left. You need to walk past the exposed mansion facade to get to the ride entrance, without actually being in line for the ride at that point.

You can see the line stretching past the official entrance, like it does currently for the Mine Train, but there are also people loitering in the area that would now be the canopy covered queue.

Am I seeing it wrong?
If we are on the same page... it is the same entrance now as it always has been (with the recent addition toward the end of the queue of the interactive stuff. It just had no cover at the time and it just appears to me that the picture was just taken on a slow day. They used to have those back then. But they might have eliminated the gardens etc. I really don't remember but, the view or the mansion was the same. To me nothing has moved as far as the queue line is concerned. More often then not, you could almost always walk quickly practically up to the doors, but, I always used to go there in February and, like I said, they used to have off seasons back then.

I just looked back at the walkway and I can see what you are thinking about, but, even though the last few feet of the queue was covered the walkway was still part of the queue. If I remember correctly, they covered about the same capacity as the "stretching room. But, again the difference now is that it is canopied all the way back to just after the
dock where the horseless hearse is located.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom