The trees in front of Haunted Mansion have been cut down

Bocabear

I remember when the front of the mansion had formal French Parterre gardens on the front lawn... with less overgrowth the house itserlf looked larger and more ominous... Over the years the natural growth has filled in which was good, and the trees were added to the front lawn I think in the 90s...so they were far from the original intent...
With the front canopy now being so huge, you can't even see the house except for across the water and certain areas outdide of the gates...
I like the iodea of opening up the lawn a bit...
1538569031612.png

Bocabear

I rather like both looks...When the park was all shiny and new, the Parterre formal lawn made sense visually... but may be too stark for it's current age...they also age the exterior of the hous now which was not how it originally looked... Everytthing was fresh back then...
The only thing I am sure of is hating the doublewide canopy..it really detracts from the experience of approaching the Mansion, and it always feels miserably stagnant. They could ferble the queue into the old Keelboat building and queue instead and make that more theme appropriate and pleasant. Funny thing is, the lines were never that bad until Fastpass Plus was introduced...

geekza

I like having trees, too, since I'm also a fan of the more run-down look. With that said, I think they could have been better placed so as not to obstruct the view so much. Also, if I'm going to be a stickler about other things, I may as well fall on the side of those who argue that Walt gave specific instructions that the outside of the Mansion (in DL, obv.) should be pristine. "We'll take care of the outside and the ghosts will take care of the inside." No trees is fine, I guess. Not a deal-breaker.

I remember when the front of the mansion had formal French Parterre gardens on the front lawn... with less overgrowth the house itserlf looked larger and more ominous... Over the years the natural growth has filled in which was good, and the trees were added to the front lawn I think in the 90s...so they were far from the original intent...
With the front canopy now being so huge, you can't even see the house except for across the water and certain areas outdide of the gates...
View attachment 317996

That looks wonderful. I love being able to really see the front door.

The Empress Lilly

View attachment 317996
This looks too opening day, too unfinished, even as if they had ran out of funds.

The show buildings aren't hidden behind vegetation yet.
The vegetation is too sparse, even allowing for winter and the MK having been open for just 2/3 years yet.
The queue, like a few others at opening day MK, is impossibly uncovered. Some shade had to be provided, or another solution implemented, although it is sad that after 47 years a canopy is still the best they could come up with. Unsightly, blocking the view of the mansion, and lessening the oh so important walk from LS up to the Mansion.

MotherOfBirds

I liked the weepy, scraggly trees. I know Walt didn't want his HM facades looking mussed but don't care; I want the spooky. It's one of the reasons I like Phantom Manor the best

Tony the Tigger

When the trees were planted, they were much smaller and more sparse...they just grew into their height over the years...
The trees looked nice when originally planted... but nature is nature...and sometimes things outgrow what they were supposed to be.

Especially in Florida!

JohnD

May not have been just for view. Could have been because of weakening by prior hurricanes and eliminating potential for falling over in future hurricanes. I'm sure the facade is nor ordinary facade. Probably all steel and the trees wouldn't have affected it any.

Just guessing here. But, yeah, could be just to restore the view too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom