The top 10 fails of WDW

Spike-in-Berlin

DOUBLE POST!!!

As a former Tomorrowland CM, I can tell you why Alien Encounter closed: because at the end of the day, not enough guests went through it. It got so bad word-of-mouth that it was too scary it was quite common to have only one chamber open for the day because there weren't enough guests going through to need both chambers open. Stitch, while yes a very big dud, does actually pull in more guests than Alien did. Hand to God. Stitch was put in because, believe it or not, little kids love Stitch. Asian people love Stitch as well, LOVE Stitch. I don't know why, but I can tell you that not only have I been told that by managers who are familiar with Tokyo and Hong Kong, but I have first-hand knowledge. Whenever I opened Stitch and I was running the doors (the CM who gets on the PA before you go in), when there were guests from Japan or China or wherever in Asia they would make a *beeline* to Stitch like it was Space Mountain. I remember thinking as I watched them literally dash over to me, "Oh you fools."

I don't like Stitch but I understand the idea behind. Lilo and Stitch was one of the VERY few disney movies after 2000 and before The Princess and the Frog (not talking about Pixar) that made money AND became a kind of classic. I mean what else did they produce in that time? Emperor's new groove?*shudder* I couldn't even stand watching it to the end. Treasure Planet? A classic box office bomb. Atlantis? Not much better. Home on the Range? You get the picture. The only memorable character from those years was Stitch and that explains a little the Stitch overkill in Disney parks in the last 10 years or so.

Fractal514

I already said it once and I repeat it. Anyone who is against Fastpass either doesn't know how it works or doesn't understand it or has no idea how it was before they introduced it. We already had discussions here, where it became quite clear that there are some people who just don't get it.
The Fastpass is the GREATEST INVENTION in the history of the Disney parks. The FP made it possible to do even the rides without waiting, that normaly would cost you an hour or more of waiting time. I had no wait of more than 20 minutes (very, very few) during my last trip.
You say it's manipulated. Where? You say it fails. Why? You say it lengthens standby. So why don't you use it?
If you don't use them, if you want to do standby for any reasons whatsoever it's your own fault!

I understand fast pass and I do know what it was like before it was introduced. I think that fast pass detractors make a few logical mis-steps, but I think the supporters do as well. The Stand-By line being longer, or at least taking more time, is valid. To say, why don't you use FastPass is a cop out answer. If my touring style is to try and enjoy the lands as a whole, completing one before moving on to the other, then sometimes fastpass just isn't an option, like when the return time is several hours away. Furthermore, sometimes you simply CAN'T get a fast pass, they are either sold out, or you are on delay cause you got one already.

My problem with the fast pass system is the fact that they let you return any time after your initial start time, and not just during the window on the ticket. This causes major back ups at times and really should (in my opinion) be addressed. I know this won't sit well with the folks who love to use the system to it's potential, but I think it has gotten out of hand. Touring plans and guide books flat out tell you to ignore the end time and save up your fast passes throughout the day. Something about that just doesn't sit right with me.

Just my $0.02 on the subject.

Phonedave

I'm pretty sure about 85% of the people on WDWMagic forums will disagree with you (including me about 50%). EPCOT did have some good things. World of Motion had comedy. The Living Seas had.. fish :lookaroun, Spaceship Earth was 70% the same, Communicore is kind of the same with updated technology, Journey into Imagination was a normal dark ride, Captain EO/Magic Journeys for the 3D film lovers, when Wonders of Life opened it had a thrill ride 3 comedy attractions and a movie based on ______. The flaw was probably Universe of Energy.

But it's probably a bit tougher to compete with that last part you added in.

60% of the time, 20% of the people who start a thread think that 70%of the content belongs to 10% pecent of the people that agree with them

Of course this is only true 13.27% of the time.

-dave

Spike-in-Berlin

My problem with the fast pass system is the fact that they let you return any time after your initial start time, and not just during the window on the ticket. This causes major back ups at times and really should (in my opinion) be addressed.

That's right! So far I never saw a CM telling a guest: "Sorry sir/ma'am but your FP has expired already", they always let people in and I think that Disney should enforce the policy of denying entry after the time window closed. We always lookout to be there on time and are a little annoyed by the fact that no CM cares about the expiring time.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
What I have learned from this thread.

Lastly, I have learned that the biggest fail in this thread was someone trying to post a top ten list, discovering that he didn't actually have ten things to post, and then filling it with stuff that he himself has had to spend half the thread justifying and explaining.

I guess I'll agree with you on that. Basically the ones listed under 6 were the real fails. Although, it is listed in what would be next as a not-so-good ride.

- WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

thewhitequeen

Disney's biggest fail is hands down their Fast Pass system. What a complete joke and waste of time! By offering Fast Pass to EVERYONE, doesn't that just increase the stand by wait times even more? YES it does. No common sense! The system is flawed and easily manipulated. I've witnessed stampedes when parks open just to grab Fast Passes. Disney's logic is to force people to manage their already hectic day at a park around Fast Pass times, in theory to cut down on the stand by wait times. Which completly fails!!! I feel Disney's Fast Pass system should be similar to what Universal's Express or Busch Gardens/Sea World's Quick Queue is; a premium front-of-the-line system that allows guests 1 use per ride, per day. Universal offers this free to resort guests, which Disney could do, and offers the Express to regular guests, but at a price. I'm suprised Disney hasn't already thought of this. Another way they could suck money out of you. But people do, and would pay. But not everyone buys the pass, which help keep stand by wait times down.

And one more thing: Disney having Fast Pass for character meet-and-greets is sad and pathetic.

I agree 100% - I'd pay money to have less people trample me in the morning. I think Disney should offer an all day fastpass to purchase. Limiting regular fastpasses by charging people for them would also make park touring more spontaneous and less stressful.

Yeah - people will disagree with me but if there is anything negative for me to say about Disney is the spontaneity is pretty much gone with all the fastpass junk.

thewhitequeen

What I have learned from this thread.

People who need Free Dining to go to Disney for vacation have no business going there, because they are poor. Conversely, the resorts cost too much money, though that somehow has nothing to do with people using free dining to offset that cost.

DVC is a giant scam for those who don't understand it and want to break the laws of economics in order to make if more affordable. Also, anyone who purchases DVC (presumably for the cost over time benefit that offsets the cost of rising room rates) and decides to wear a shirt or hat showing that they are indeed members, is a show off braggart.

I have also learned that when someone makes a post, the comments that follow must only be exactly what the OP had in mind. Any derivation of the original train of thought, even if it is loosely tied to the original main idea, is considered off topic, and the OP, witch not only stands for Original Posters, but also Owner of all other Posts to follow, has the right to try and shut it down.

Lastly, I have learned that the biggest fail in this thread was someone trying to post a top ten list, discovering that he didn't actually have ten things to post, and then filling it with stuff that he himself has had to spend half the thread justifying and explaining.

Also, the origin of PWN is that it is short of Pawn, like I'm gonna beat you so bad you'll have to Pawn your jewelry to get some lessons in how not to suck so much so that I don't PWN you again in the future ;)

I didn't interpret the free dining comments like you but the bolded paragraph made me chuckle. :lol:

stratman50th

That's right! So far I never saw a CM telling a guest: "Sorry sir/ma'am but your FP has expired already", they always let people in and I think that Disney should enforce the policy of denying entry after the time window closed. We always lookout to be there on time and are a little annoyed by the fact that no CM cares about the expiring time.
I knew there was an ending time, however I wasn't aware that there was a policy stating it expired.
I also didn't know that you could collect more than one active fast pass at a time until last year. When they first started, or maybe I just thought so, you could only hold one fast pass at a time. You couldn't get another until you used the first.

thewhitequeen

I've seen people bragging about using them the next day, so people do skate the system there. We abide by the time on the fastpass, hence my comment "spontaneity is dead in Disney World."

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
I agree 100% - I'd pay money to have less people trample me in the morning. I think Disney should offer an all day fastpass to purchase. Limiting regular fastpasses by charging people for them would also make park touring more spontaneous and less stressful.

Yeah - people will disagree with me but if there is anything negative for me to say about Disney is the spontaneity is pretty much gone with all the fastpass junk.

The last time I was at Universal Studios, it costed about 30 to 40 dollars. That's crap and not worth it. I've only seen one family go in any express pass line.

Disney does a good job keeping the signs outside each attraction that say "40 minute waits" and such, I went on Space Mountain and there were many people getting fastpasses, outside it said to be a 40 minute wait (which isn't bad for Space Mountain), and it was exactly 40 minutes! The same is for Living with the Land, there were many school groups getting fastpasses for that and the ride line was packed and only 30 minutes. Fastpasses are NOT a fail. You only THINK it's a fail if you don't like to use them. It's a great invention you can go ride an unpopular ride like...Stit- er, Carousel of Progress while waiting.

- WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

inluvwithbeast

That about covers it, except pwned is actually a misspelling of owned. The "p" being right next to the "o" on the keyboard it was frequently struck by mistake. It was a common typo when as Jimmy stated people playing the early on line games were keyed up and typing quickly. When you "owned" someone, you had just beat the snot out of them in some fashion. Typo that with the p you get pwned, which took on a life of it's pwn. :D

Ahh. I think my bf lied to me. But that makes much more sense. I don't really use pwn or epic or fail or noob....

I try to keep those words outta my lexicon.

maxairmike

I knew there was an ending time, however I wasn't aware that there was a policy stating it expired.
I also didn't know that you could collect more than one active fast pass at a time until last year. When they first started, or maybe I just thought so, you could only hold one fast pass at a time. You couldn't get another until you used the first.

Generally, unless it is super busy or the FP line is backed up, it is accepted good practice of guest service to allow the use of a FP any time after the initial time printed. I don't think I have ever seen them enforce the hour window on a FP.

stratman50th

Ahh. I think my bf lied to me. But that makes much more sense. I don't really use pwn or epic or fail or noob....

I try to keep those words outta my lexicon.
I really don't use this stuff much, but I'm an admin on another forum and you kinda should know what the people posting are trying to say. I'm no huge expert by any means though. It's a guitar forum, so there are a lot of old guys like me mixed in with the younger crowd that uses these phrases all the time. In reality though, that forum is really about teaching and learning, and most people actually write out everything clearly without computer or textspeak slang. It just avoids confusion and makes instruction clear.

Spike-in-Berlin

As also went the long waiting times. I remember the JC took me at least 45 minutes in the 80ies and early 90ies, the BTMR sometimes even more, not to mention Space Mountain.
No wait of more than 10 minutes during the last visits. And I would NEVER wait 120 minutes for TSM. I don't need the spontaneity to decide if I either waste an hour waiting for this ride or for that one. I rather prefer to do 3 or even 4 attractions in the same time I would have waited for one.

Spike-in-Berlin

No you always could have more than one. Imagine you get a FP for TSM in the early noon at DHS with a time window after 7 PM (not really unrealistic), then you have to wait perhaps an hour, sometimes more before you can attain the next one. You go to MK so this one is a FP for Space Mountain at 5 PM. 90 Minutes later you get one for Buzz Lightyear, this time you have your window in less than 90 miuntes etc. Then you first do Buzz Lightyear, later you do SM before you leave MK for TSM at 7 PM. We sometimes had up to 5 FP for 5 different rides at the same time.

juniorthomas

FINALLY! Somebody who understand what I am trying to say!! With that said, they could surely use the polar bear scene, village scene, and oil rig scene for some new troll scenes... with the stops and some talking like the trolls already have.

Lots of potential for Maelstrom. They just need to pay it some attention!

Jimmy Thick

Also, the origin of PWN is that it is short of Pawn, like I'm gonna beat you so bad you'll have to Pawn your jewelry to get some lessons in how not to suck so much so that I don't PWN you again in the future ;)

I have never seen pwn used as a variation of "pawn", its always been leetspeak, as in elite speak, towards the word owned used to dominating someone in a first person shooter video game, and then in pvp mmorpgs. I have been a gamer my whole life and this is the first time I have seen it for the word "pawn".

Jimmy Thick-|> \/\/ |\| & |>

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom