The top 10 fails of WDW

Jimmy Thick

I'm pretty sure about 85% of the people on WDWMagic forums will disagree with you (including me about 50%). EPCOT did have some good things. World of Motion had comedy. The Living Seas had.. fish :lookaroun, Spaceship Earth was 70% the same, Communicore is kind of the same with updated technology, Journey into Imagination was a normal dark ride, Captain EO/Magic Journeys for the 3D film lovers, when Wonders of Life opened it had a thrill ride 3 comedy attractions and a movie based on ______. The flaw was probably Universe of Energy.

Some people on the WDWMagic forums tend to think too much about things they have no control over, and tend to complain for the sake of complaining. If they were right, that Epcot Center was better back in the day, it would still be Epcot Center with all those old boring attractions, but then those people on WDWMagic would be complaining about how out dated those attractions are. Its totally a lose-lose.

Face it, Disney got it right and got rid of them, at the end of there lives, those rides were a ghost town, no one was riding them in masses like the current attractions, and people viewed Epcot Center as a half a day park, when now its a full day park.

Jimmy Thick- live by the sword...

Fractal514

Some people on the WDWMagic forums tend to think too much about things they have no control over, and tend to complain for the sake of complaining. If they were right, that Epcot Center was better back in the day, it would still be Epcot Center with all those old boring attractions, but then those people on WDWMagic would be complaining about how out dated those attractions are. Its totally a lose-lose.

Face it, Disney got it right and got rid of them, at the end of there lives, those rides were a ghost town, no one was riding them in masses like the current attractions, and people viewed Epcot Center as a half a day park, when now its a full day park.

Jimmy Thick- live by the sword...

You are using words like "better" and "right" to talk about an opinion. That's not really a valid thing to do. I think that Epcot Center in its original form was more "true" to Walt's vision and the spirit in which he would have wanted the park to be built if the city wasn't a possibility. Just my opinion.

I personally loved the original Epcot, and I love the new Epcot. My problem isn't the change, it's how the change was accomplished. I love Mission Space, it may be my favorite ride in terms of thrills, but I wish it didn't have to come at the expense of Horizons, when an empty build sits right next door. The updating of Imagination has been disastrous. I feel that the Nemo addition to the Living Seas is great, but did it have to come at the expense of actually SEEING the aquarium, why couldn't we have had both? Soarin over Food Rocks is a good choice, but does it really fit into "The Land?"

Overall, I miss the feeling of Pavilions. I think the current Epcot is more about the rides and less about the over all Pavilions themselves. I think they could have chosen to both increase the appeal and maintain the feel and science. The false dilemma of either/or was a by-product of Eisner trying to do too much at once, instead of following in Walt's lead and doing one thing well, then turning to the next thing.

Jimmy Thick

I knew there was an ending time, however I wasn't aware that there was a policy stating it expired.
I also didn't know that you could collect more than one active fast pass at a time until last year. When they first started, or maybe I just thought so, you could only hold one fast pass at a time. You couldn't get another until you used the first.

Once, I think about 5 years ago at Epcot, Disney experimented a new way to get Fast Passes by letting you get one for each ride whenever you wanted, but the Fast Pass itself had the time window for which you could use it. You just could not get like 7 fastpasses for Test Track at one time, you could only get a fast pass for one time and could not get another fast pass for that attraction until the time on the first fast pass expired. I thought they should have made fastpasses work out that way as it allowed you to plan your whole day around them, but I guess it did not catch on...

Jimmy Thick- talk about boneheaded...

spectrodanny

10: Journey Into Your Imagination AKA "Where's Figment?"
9: having the SAME daytime parade at MK for over 10 years
8: Enchanted Tiki Room:Under New Management let me just say i'm SO glad Iago got cooked
7. Expedition: Everest WHAT took SO LONG to get the Yeti fixed!
6. "Oh Canada" Nice update to the film just bring back the Original version of the theme song & have Eva re-record the woman's vocals and it will be even BETTER than it is now
5: Test Track has the pre-show become Eco-freindly yet
4 Soarin couldn't that have been put someplace else, "Food Rocks" was cooler
3. Country Bear Jamboree: you may think your making guests happy by showing the original year round but by not showing the Christmas show your hurting the attraction by depriving it of it's annual TLC
2: WDWRR: why not offer tender rides like Disneyland does
1. Electrical Water Pageant: isn't it about time to update that soundtrack??

Jimmy Thick

You are using words like "better" and "right" to talk about an opinion. That's not really a valid thing to do.

How can it not be valid when Disney felt the same way with my opinion and thought Epcot Center needed a change?

I think that Epcot Center in its original form was more "true" to Walt's vision and the spirit in which he would have wanted the park to be built if the city wasn't a possibility. Just my opinion

Walt died in 1966 and his vision or what he wanted did not matter in 1982, in fact I would be hard pressed to say I seriously doubt anyone at Disney when Epcot Center was being designed were worried about what old Walt would do. Is it nice? Prolly not, but its the truth.

Jimmy Thick- Prolly= leetspeak...

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
10: Journey Into Your Imagination AKA "Where's Figment?"
9: having the SAME daytime parade at MK for over 10 years
8: Enchanted Tiki Room:Under New Management let me just say i'm SO glad Iago got cooked
7. Expedition: Everest WHAT took SO LONG to get the Yeti fixed!
6. "Oh Canada" Nice update to the film just bring back the Original version of the theme song & have Eva re-record the woman's vocals and it will be even BETTER than it is now
5: Test Track has the pre-show become Eco-freindly yet
4 Soarin couldn't that have been put someplace else, "Food Rocks" was cooler
3. Country Bear Jamboree: you may think your making guests happy by showing the original year round but by not showing the Christmas show your hurting the attraction by depriving it of it's annual TLC
2: WDWRR: why not offer tender rides like Disneyland does
1. Electrical Water Pageant: isn't it about time to update that soundtrack??

I finally have someone to agree with when it comes to Food Rocks! :D It should have replace Symbiosis... they could've expanded that small area with the theater being one of the ride parts.

- WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

Pioneer Hall

How can it not be valid when Disney felt the same way with my opinion and thought Epcot Center needed a change?

Walt died in 1966 and his vision or what he wanted did not matter in 1982, in fact I would be hard pressed to say I seriously doubt anyone at Disney when Epcot Center was being designed were worried about what old Walt would do. Is it nice? Prolly not, but its the truth.

I have to agree with Jimmy on this one...even in 1982 Epcot was nothing like Walt's vision. Walt's vision was a city and not a theme park. I don't think it is fair to say that the old Epcot Center was something Walt would have wanted or even liked. There really is no way to tell, but to stand by the theme park as it was because "walt would have liked it" isn't a very good reason in my opinion.

Jimmy Thick

Walt's vision was a city and not a theme park.

Now a real debate would be if had Walt did not die in 1966, would he have gotten his experimental city of the future off the ground? Or would it have failed? People out of nostalgia for old Walt will say he would have made it succeed, Iam one of those who seriously doubt it would have.

Jimmy Thick- even today it screams folly...

stratman50th

Now a real debate would be if had Walt did not die in 1966, would he have gotten his experimental city of the future off the ground? Or would it have failed? People out of nostalgia for old Walt will say he would have made it succeed, Iam one of those who seriously doubt it would have.

I have to agree. The technology still isn't around to do what Walt wanted to accomplish for a cost that would make it feasible. I think the best idea, and worst at the same time was the plastic dome covering the city. Also, there was supposed to be a lot of the infrastructure underground, like the Magic Kingdom. How much fill would you need to import to cover a city under a city? You couldn't dig it out because of the water table in Florida is so high. You would have to build it above ground, cover it up, and build over top. The scale to do that for a city would be incredible. Very cool ideas, very forward thinking of Walt, but I think impossible to accomplish. At least with the technology we have today.
As far as the old EPCOT, I'm not as good with the names of the buildings as most here, but I don't remember much in the inside area, possibly Communicore? that was very interesting. In later years it was just a big demo area for the sale of computer hardware hardware. I never did get the roadway painted on the floor. The park always needed attractions I think. There just wasn't enough to keep peoples attention there. I remember going through all the MetLife exhibits and as a young adult, being bored stiff looking for more.

Fractal514

I will concede that using Walt's name is a fairly weak defense for the original park. But, you didn't address my other points. I think the original ideas and many of those rides could have stayed and been added to, not destroyed.

Fractal514

Figment. What a FAIL. I don't get why people love him so much. He looks like Barneys love child. *Just sayin' :shrug::eek::p

People love him, I think, because back in the day he was not an obnoxious spaz like he is today. Also, back in the 80's he was one of the only, if not the only, "Character" in Epcot. I think most folks who love him do so out of fond remberance of what was, not what is.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Walt Disney is the only person who could create what he wanted in his vision. Nobody else would ever make a city called "EPCOT".. even if they did, it would never be as good. The original version of EPCOT is a 50/50. It was good when it first opened, but like everything else in WDW, it has to change sometime or another, and it did. Whether you like it or not, something will probably even happen to Jungle Cruise, Tom Sawyer Island and Country Bear Jamboree one day. Just like Journey into Imagination, Horizons, and Mr. Toad.

- WondersOfLife

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
I will concede that using Walt's name is a fairly weak defense for the original park. But, you didn't address my other points. I think the original ideas and many of those rides could have stayed and been added to, not destroyed.

"Facebook like" :)

- WondersOfLife

parkgoer

Walt Disney's "epcot" does basically exist
. It's called the Walt Disney World College Program.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Anyone ready to get back on topic? No? Fine. :hammer:

- WondersOfLife

MKCP 1985

Figment. What a FAIL. I don't get why people love him so much. He looks like Barneys love child. *Just sayin' :shrug::eek::p

Figment is fine, it is that creepy Dreamfinder I'm glad is gone. *shudder*

Who looks like this?

dreamfinder.jpg

And where is his other hand? :eek:

dreamfinder_figment_wdcc.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom