The Talk, News, Rumors, About Phase 3

discos

Did they ever come right out and say it's going where LMA/SOA area?
No I don't think they've flat out said LMA/SOA is gonna be SWL, but since that area has now been closed off and the official announcement has been made by the WDC that construction has begun on both the east and west coast, I would say its pretty safe to assume its going into that area. Also the picture that was recently released by Disney with R2 on the SOA looking out into construction is a pretty clear sign too I would say.

AEfx

Why does everything need to be cloned for you? Why not ask for original new attractions. At least Star Wars land is being built at the same time as Disneylands even if DHS's version opens after Disneylands. Cloning isn't something you should want.

There is nothing wrong with cloning whatsoever. The only people that care about it are the less-than 1% of park guests who are crazy Disney fans who visit Disney message boards online. You'd also likely discover that the amount of guests at either resort on any given day who have been to the opposite resort would also be in the single-digit percentages.

In reality, most folks do not really know the difference between DLR and WDW - "the one in California or the one in Florida?" and generally expect them to offer the same, or very similar, experiences. People don't go to Guest Services to complain that "this has all the same rides as the park 3,000 miles away!" - they complain that "the Magic Kingdom doesn't have a Matterhorn?"

Clones should be encouraged because they generally cost less to build, as well - and as cheap as Disney is these days, we get more out of a cloned ride in terms of the few bucks that they are willing to spend.

HauntedMansionFLA

There is nothing wrong with cloning whatsoever. The only people that care about it are the less-than 1% of park guests who are crazy Disney fans who visit Disney message boards online. You'd also likely discover that the amount of guests at either resort on any given day who have been to the opposite resort would also be in the single-digit percentages.

In reality, most folks do not really know the difference between DLR and WDW - "the one in California or the one in Florida?" and generally expect them to offer the same, or very similar, experiences. People don't go to Guest Services to complain that "this has all the same rides as the park 3,000 miles away!" - they complain that "the Magic Kingdom doesn't have a Matterhorn?"

Clones should be encouraged because they generally cost less to build, as well - and as cheap as Disney is these days, we get more out of a cloned ride in terms of the few bucks that they are willing to spend.
Plus, with cloning, you can work the bugs out.

SirLink

Well there is from a perspective of P&R should want to get people to consume trips to both resorts. By having everything the same it doesn't increase the coffers. I have also witnessed a group of angry Australians kicking off in guest services that there were no unique attractions in Magic Kingdom - whilst the CM tried to explain: HoP, SDMT, CoP, SGE and MILF were all unique. The guests said that was not enough. So there are people international guests that know and want more unique experiences. If all you do is go to WDW and wallow in mediocrity and you want to visit a Disney park because you fear the competition and you fear leaving America then go to DL.

ToTBellHop

Well there is from a perspective of P&R should want to get people to consume trips to both resorts. By having everything the same it doesn't increase the coffers. I have also witnessed a group of angry Australians kicking off in guest services that there were no unique attractions in Magic Kingdom - whilst the CM tried to explain: HoP, SDMT, CoP, SGE and MILF were all unique. The guests said that was not enough. So there are people international guests that know and want more unique experiences. If all you do is go to WDW and wallow in mediocrity and you want to visit a Disney park because you fear the competition and you fear leaving America then go to DL.
Personally, I prefer the method they largely used until recently--clone a concept, not an exact ride. Like Space Mountain or HM or Big Thunder or ToT. Building multiple exact copies at once is lame.

SirLink

Personally, I prefer the method they largely used until recently--clone a concept, not an exact ride. Like Space Mountain or HM or Big Thunder or ToT. Building multiple exact copies at once is lame.

That idea works but only between domestic and international like ToT in TDS and DHS. However the domestic parks it will be clone exact.

JohnWD

ToT at WDW is my favorite ride - at DCA I don't even bother. At SWL, we probably will get pretty much the exact same thing, for better or for worse!

AEfx

Uh, I've been to Disneyland, thanks...

In any case, your Australian anecdote aside, ask a guest services CM how often someone complains that they don't have "unique" things versus how many complain about not having one of the "unique" rides from the other coast.

I'm sorry, but you are just looking at this topic through fan-colored glasses. If P&R wanted folks to visit both resorts they would run ads for Disneyland across the nation - they don't. People have finite travel/vacation time, Disney doesn't give a crap which resort you go to as long as you go to one.

As I said, statistically, you will find that very few people have been to both DLR and WDW, and certainly not enough of a shared audience to make "clones" a worry.

SirLink

Uh, I've been to Disneyland, thanks...

In any case, your Australian anecdote aside, ask a guest services CM how often someone complains that they don't have "unique" things versus how many complain about not having one of the "unique" rides from the other coast.

I'm sorry, but you are just looking at this topic through fan-colored glasses. If P&R wanted folks to visit both resorts they would run ads for Disneyland across the nation - they don't. People have finite travel/vacation time, Disney doesn't give a crap which resort you go to as long as you go to one.

As I said, statistically, you will find that very few people have been to both DLR and WDW, and certainly not enough of a shared audience to make "clones" a worry.

Oh they do they very much would like you visit both resorts. They operate very much as separate business units in P&R ... nope their ain't no rose tinted glasses here. I was going to give a breakdown on the whole statistics line... then I thought to myself believe what you makes you feel better, even if it ain't true.

AEfx

Oh they do they very much would like you visit both resorts. They operate very much as separate business units in P&R ... nope their ain't no rose tinted glasses here. I was going to give a breakdown on the whole statistics line... then I thought to myself believe what you makes you feel better, even if it ain't true.

I know how the parks operate, LOL.

Please explain to me how if they are so eager to get folks to go to both coasts, why in 2/3 of the country they only show WDW-specific commercials?

SirLink

I know how the parks operate, LOL.

Please explain to me how if they are so eager to get folks to go to both coasts, why in 2/3 of the country they only show WDW-specific commercials?

Firstly a large percentage of the crossover from resorts is down to international guests. Secondly as was stated to me 'certain Disney fans from certain states would never travel to California why bother market deals to them' draw your own conclusions on a postcard. Thirdly more countries in the World than the US.

But like I said you believe what you want to believe ... but how many of those ads are promoting a discount. If so you need less of those ads running in the US.

AEfx

Firstly a large percentage of the crossover from resorts is down to international guests. Secondly as was stated to me 'certain Disney fans from certain states would never travel to California why bother market deals to them' draw your own conclusions on a postcard. Thirdly more countries in the World than the US.

The person that "stated that" to you must have been referring to most states, as Disneyland is only advertised to maybe 1/3 of them - in the geographic area around Southern California, within a day or two drive, at most.

In any case, only a tiny percentage of folks care about clones. International or not. Sounds like your Australian friends just wanted a free ticket to one of the other parks for the day, to be honest.

Real people (the majority of the public, most consumers, whatever you want to call them) view Disney (particularly the MK-style) as a chain of parks - they don't expect this "special snowflake" uniqueness that some Internet fanbois demand is essential. More people are surprised they aren't the same than expect them to offer fully unique experiences.

It's the same reason people balk at being asked if they visited Disneyland Paris when they were in France - "I'm in France, why in heck would I go some place that I could go to at home anytime?" They think it's just the MK (or Disneyland) in France, not that it's such a unique park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom