Trip Report The Sweet 16th(with a few surprises thrown in)!!

Hello friends!! Welcome one & all to my 2nd trip report!! To those who followed along on my first one(https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/whats-going-on-with-my-clothes.945539/) it's great to have you along again & to anyone new joining in thanks for coming on board. I'm excited to have you all here!!

WHO: my niece H(the birthday girl) & myself

IMG_3810.jpeg

WHEN: Tuesday, August 21st - Saturday, August 25th

WHERE: For anyone that read my first TR I'm sure you can guess where but for those of you that don't know me..... my home away from home, POR

Looking forward to sharing the birthday celebration with you!!

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
SATURDAY, AUGUST 25TH(CONT.)

We headed to Kilimanjaro Safaris next. J had been asking to go on this so he was excited we were finally going there(he doesn't quite get the FP concept yet)!!
IMG_4590.jpeg

If we wouldn't have had FP's the wait wouldn't have been too bad.
IMG_4591.jpeg

IMG_4592.jpeg

IMG_4593.jpeg

Our guide was very knowledgeable but wow--you would have thought she was getting paid by the "jeep-load". She seemed like she was in the biggest hurry. She would barely stop when we saw an animal so picture taking wasn't easy. I don't know--maybe she was due to go on break after our group so that could be why she was in such a rush....
IMG_4594.jpeg

IMG_4595.jpeg

IMG_4597.jpeg

IMG_4599.jpeg

IMG_4600.jpeg

I have a million photos from safaris over the years so I guess it really shouldn't matter!!

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster

At this point E decided to head out. She wanted to get J back to Riverside & walk him around there in the hopes that he would take a nap. The TE was picking us up at 4:50 so I told her we were probably going to leave AK at 3:00.

H & I headed to Pandora.
IMG_4601.jpeg

IMG_4602.jpeg

IMG_4603.jpeg

IMG_4604.jpeg

While H & I were flying on banshees E & J stopped for some pictures on the way out.
IMG_4724.JPG

IMG_4725.JPG

IMG_4726.JPG

IMG_4727.JPG

IMG_4728.JPG

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster

We stopped in Windtraders afterwards. When I was there in June I bought H a rain/windbreaker jacket that she really liked when we were there the year before but they didn't have her size. I bought her a medium & it was way too big. I told her that when we went if there was a small I would buy that one for her & she could give me the medium. They had the small so I'm now the proud owner of the medium. With the amount of rain we've had the past three days it has really come in handy!!

IMG_4605.jpeg

We went to the Navi River Journey next.
IMG_4608.jpeg

IMG_4610.jpeg

Then onto Asia.
IMG_4613.jpeg

We still had a bunch of snack credits left & we both love Yak & Yeti so we stopped for some sides of Chicken Fried Rice.
IMG_4614.jpeg

I also got a Safari Amber. I really enjoy that beer!!
IMG_4615.jpeg

We each still had a FP left from the DVC presentation but the line was pretty long so we decided to do single rider instead since it only had a 10 minute wait.
IMG_4616.jpeg

IMG_4617.jpeg

IMG_4619.jpeg

IMG_4620.jpeg

Darstarr

In the Parks
No

Something must have been pretty funny....
View attachment 311880

View attachment 311881

J & H shared the birthday cupcakes. Any guesses as to what H might be doing?:p
View attachment 311882

View attachment 311883

After lunch we headed to Africa to catch the 12:00 FotLK show.
View attachment 311884

I just love this section of the park!!
View attachment 311885

View attachment 311886

View attachment 311887

View attachment 311888
The cousins are ADORABLE!!!

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster

My boring ride photo(at least this one showed up:rolleyes:).
IMG_4729.JPG

H was not scared but the three girls around her were so she felt like she had to join in.
IMG_4730.JPG

Pluto was out and about.
IMG_4622.jpeg

Yay!! This is one of my favorites!! We still had our FP's since it was down earlier.
IMG_4626.jpeg

H took a picture of this Dinosaur also & sent it to my niece E. We always tease her & send her pictures when we are at this ride b/c she absolutely hates it. She is really scared of it. I know--we're mean....
IMG_4627.jpeg

IMG_4628.jpeg

IMG_4629.jpeg

IMG_4630.jpeg

No ride photo b/c it never showed up in my account...
H wanted to stop in Island Mercantile on our way out. I told her we had to hurry b/c it was almost 3:30 & we really should have left at 3. She told me that we should have skipped Dinosaur then!! What--I don't think so!!

We got to the bus stop and we were about 10 people deep in line. At this point it was about 3:40. We were cutting it a lot closer than I would have liked but I wasn't concerned. After all, we've had great bus service this trip, right? BTW-"Had" is the operative word in that sentence.
At 4:00 I started getting nervous but I figured if the buses run approximately every 20 minutes one should be pulling in at any moment. At 4:10 H looked at me & said "You know we're not going to make it right?"
No problem. We'll take a Minnie van--or so I thought. We got out of line as I was requesting one & headed that way. There was a slight problem though-nobody was responding to my request. I closed out of the app & tried a second time & came up with the same result-nothing. And during all this a storm kicked in pretty good. Rain, lightening & thunder-and we were standing in the great wide open at that point getting completely drenched.
IMG_4631.jpeg

It's hard to tell but trust me it was pouring. We decided to get back in line for the bus. The bad thing was instead of being the 10th people in line we were now the 110th:arghh:. Finally a bus arrived but we knew there was no way we were getting on it. A few minutes later another one came & we got on that one. Once on the bus I called E & told her we weren't going to make the TE. I told her I was going to call them, see what they had to say & I would let her know.
IMG_4632.jpeg

The lady I spoke with told me there was another one coming at 5:20 that we could get on but we would have to have our paper that you give the driver reprinted at the front desk with the new information. She said she wasn't sure that we would make it for that one. At this point it was 4:50. I told her we were dropping off at FQ as we spoke so I knew we would be there in time. Her parting comment to me was that they would not be responsible if we missed our flight b/c we were not getting on the correct TE.

I called E as we arrived at the West Depot & she said they just pulled out of Riverside.

Last edited:

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster

We had a whole 5 minutes to spare since they want you at the TE departure spot 15 minutes ahead of time. I gave H the ticket to pick up the bag that was at bell services. We still had 2 snack credits left so I told her to get something at the food court but if the lines were too long she should just grab a couple bags of snacks from the gift shop. I went to get the new paper printed out. Once I did that I stepped out back to get my last few glances of Riverside in. I was really bummed. I normally like to walk around & take it all in one last time before I leave but that surely wasn't happening today.
IMG_4633.jpeg

I'm not kidding when I say I had tears in my eyes.
IMG_4634.jpeg

I made my way out front & waited for H.
IMG_4636.jpeg

With the last 2 snack credits H got this carrot cake...
IMG_4637.jpeg

and this iced coffee.
IMG_4638.jpeg

Our TE didn't show up until 5:30.
IMG_4639.jpeg

IMG_4640.jpeg

I was so bummed to be leaving-esp. Riverside. I missed not being able to walk around for awhile before we left. I left feeling very anxious b/c of what had transpired that afternoon with the bus situation.
IMG_4641.jpeg

The weather pretty much matched my mood.
IMG_4643.jpeg

I smiled when I saw this sign!! On my last trip this sign was not up.
IMG_4645.jpeg

We got to the airport only to find out that our flight was delayed:banghead:

sheriffwoody

Ugh the bus thing would have stressed me out! I took a Lyft to the airport in January, when I was by myself, because I didn't want to deal with having to be back to ME on time. I can't do that with my husband though because he doesn't want to pay for it when we have the access to free transportation. I just hate rushing back to the resort for it!

Luckily our flight back next month is in the morning, so we won't be coming from a park anyway.

Sorry about your delay too! Not the best way to end a trip.

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster

I texted E when we got off the TE & she had just gone through security. As it turns out she only got to the airport a few minutes before us. On her bus POR was the first stop & they went to 3 other resorts after that. On ours POR was the last stop. Oh--I forgot this: Our TE was pretty full. H & I walked towards the back & I found one seat in the very last row. I told her to sit there & I would figure something out. Well, I saw a guy and sitting next to him was his carry on. I asked him if he minded if I sat there(considering there was not another seat to be had on that bus). He rolled his eyes & never said a word. He did pick up his bag though so I took that as a yes. Truth be told, I didn't care if he minded if I sat there or not. With his attitude I really didn't want to sit next to him either but I didn't have much choice in the matter at that point.

Since we had some time to kill between having TSA Precheck & a delayed flight we stopped in here. H is a big Harry Potter fan so she likes looking around in there. She ended up buying a game.
IMG_4646.jpeg

We got Jersey Mike's Subs for dinner. We stopped at Starbucks after that.
IMG_4647.jpeg

J couldn't understand why we weren't on the same TE as him & his mom.
IMG_4648.jpeg

We thought that this looked a bit odd so when I was going to board & he was still there I mentioned it to the agent. She didn't seem concerned at all & said that they were aware. OK then!!
IMG_4649.jpeg

The plane was late coming in from Houston. When it arrived they asked everyone to board quickly b/c there was bad weather coming & they wanted to get out of there before it came.
E, H & J got in line for family boarding.
IMG_4651.jpeg

The three of them were sitting in a row together. The two seats behind H & J were open so I took aisle seat behind J.

J doing his same old--"reading" the safety instructions.
IMG_4653.jpeg

IMG_4654.jpeg

It was at this point that my day went downhill further. I bid farewell to my family. A husband, wife & daughter(about 10 or so) got on the plane and not only couldn't find 3 seats together but they apparently couldn't even find 2. The seat next to me was still empty as was the seat behind me. The husband asked me if I would move to the seat behind me so his wife could sit with their daughter. I wasn't thrilled just b/c I didn't feel like getting up but whatever. I tapped J on the head & told them I would talk to them later. The wife said she didn't realize that I was with people & that I could just stay there. Gee thanks lady-it was my seat to begin with. I told her it wasn't a big deal & I moved. One of the flight attendants told me that was very nice of me b/c most people won't give up their seat(after this flight I can see why). She told me that they would give me a beverage on the house for switching my seat.
IMG_4655.jpeg

So now I'm in a row with two other women. They dim the cabin lights & one of the women turns on her reading light. I would have been fine with it if she was using it to read & not to sleep like she was!! It was quite annoying. They came around to take drink orders & I ordered a glass of water & a glass of cabernet. I didn't take them up on the free drink. I actually had drink coupons so I used one of those. Wouldn't you know it, as soon as the drinks were served "Miss I Need the Light On to Sleep" decides she has to go to the bathroom. So I have to manage 2 drinks & my phone while I stand up to let her through. I said hi to J then. He wanted to know "who was sitting in my seat & why?"(quite loudly I might add). She came back from the bathroom & I sat down again-but not for long. Now the other woman had to go to the bathroom. Really?? I know I shouldn't be so judgemental esp. b/c someone could have a medical issue but for goodness sake, it's a 2 hour flight. Go before you get on then after you get off. Again, I know I probably shouldn't be that way but it's amazing to me how many people use the bathroom on such a short flight. Who knows though, maybe they're nervous?

Now this is what really got to me. Every now & then J would turn back to say something to me or sometimes he was just clowning around(like in this picture). I could kind of tell that the woman I gave my seat to was getting annoyed with it. She gets up to go to the bathroom & told me that if I wanted to sit in her seat(which was mine to begin with)so I could talk to my family for a bit I could. She said it rudely & I could tell that she was annoyed so I knew she was being smart. I gave her the same treatment that the guy on the TE gave to me--the eye roll and the silent treatment. I felt like telling her to give me back my seat. It was at this point that I remembered the saying, "no good deed goes unpunished". This is so true....
IMG_4658.jpeg

The flight ended up landing about a half hour later than it was supposed to. I couldn't wait to get off that plane!!

IMG_4660.PNG

Last edited:

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
Ugh! What a crappy way to end your trip. Let me guess, were you flying Frontier?

Other than the last few hours of your trip it looks like it was a great time. I so enjoyed living through you. :happy:
Yeah it was pretty crappy--I partially blame myself b/c we should have left AK earlier but I wanted to get in as much as I could for H's sake. And if the buses would have been running like they're supposed to it wouldn't have been an issue.
We flew Southwest.
Thanks for reading!!
Glad I was watching the rain from my balcony and not waiting for the Tragical.

Sorry you had such an angst-filled final day. 😔
I wish I were in your shoes then!!
It was a rough day....
Ugh the bus thing would have stressed me out! I took a Lyft to the airport in January, when I was by myself, because I didn't want to deal with having to be back to ME on time. I can't do that with my husband though because he doesn't want to pay for it when we have the access to free transportation. I just hate rushing back to the resort for it!

Luckily our flight back next month is in the morning, so we won't be coming from a park anyway.

Sorry about your delay too! Not the best way to end a trip.
It's funny b/c I will spend money on a lot of things but then there's certain things that I won't. I wasn't worried about getting to the airport b/c I figured we could just take an Uber or Lyft but I didn't want to pay for it. I know the Magical Express is "free" but the way I see it is you paid for it somewhere down the line so you might as well use it.

It was a rough end to the trip!!

susan lees

I texted E when we got off the TE & she had just gone through security. As it turns out she only got to the airport a few minutes before us. On her bus POR was the first stop & they went to 3 other resorts after that. On ours POR was the last stop. Oh--I forgot this: Our TE was pretty full. H & I walked towards the back & I found one seat in the very last row. I told her to sit there & I would figure something out. Well, I saw a guy and sitting next to him was his carry on. I asked him if he minded if I sat there(considering there was not another seat to be had on that bus). He rolled his eyes & never said a word. he did pick up his bag though so I took that as a yes. Truth be told, I didn't care if he minded if I sat there or not. With his attitude I really didn't want to sit next to him either but I didn't have much choice in the matter at that point.

Since we had some time to kill between having TSA Precheck & a delayed flight we stopped in here. H is a big Harry Potter fan so she likes looking around in there. She ended up buying a game.
View attachment 312384

We got Jersey Mike's Subs for dinner. We stopped at Starbucks after that.
View attachment 312385

J couldn't understand why we weren't on the same TE as him & his mom.
View attachment 312386

We thought that this looked a bit odd so when I was going to board & he was still there I mentioned it to the agent. She didn't seem concerned at all & said that they were aware. OK then!!
View attachment 312387

The plane was late coming in from Houston. When it arrived they asked everyone to board quickly b/c there was bad weather coming & they wanted to get out of there before it came.
E, H & J got in line for family boarding.
View attachment 312388

The three of them were sitting in a row together. The two seats behind H & J were open so I took aisle seat behind J.

J doing his same old--"reading" the safety instructions.
View attachment 312389

View attachment 312390

It was at this point that my day went downhill further. I bid farewell to my family. A husband, wife & daughter(about 10 or so) got on the plane and not only couldn't find 3 seats together but they apparently couldn't even find 2. The seat next to me was still empty as was the seat behind me. The husband asked me if I would move to the seat behind me so his wife could sit with their daughter. I wasn't thrilled just b/c I didn't feel like getting up but whatever. I tapped J on the head & told them I would talk to them later. The wife said she didn't realize that I was with people & that I could just stay there. Gee thanks lady-it was my seat to begin with. I told her it wasn't a big deal & I moved. One of the flight attendants told me that was very nice of me b/c most people won't give up their seat(after this flight I can see why). She told me that they would give me a beverage on the house for switching my seat.
View attachment 312391

So now I'm in a row with two other women. They dim the cabin lights & one of the women turns on her reading light. I would have been fine with it if she was using it to read & not to sleep like she was!! It was quite annoying. They came around to take drink orders & I ordered a glass of water & a glass of cabernet. I didn't take them up on the free drink. I actually had drink coupons so I used one of those. Wouldn't you know it, as soon as the drinks were served "Miss I Need the Light On to Sleep" decides she has to go to the bathroom. So I have to manage 2 drinks & my phone while I stand up to let her through. I said hi to J then. He wanted to know "who was sitting in my seat & why?"(quite loudly I might add). She came back from the bathroom & I sat down again-but not for long. Now the other woman had to go to the bathroom. Really?? I know I shouldn't be so judgemental esp. b/c someone could have a medical issue but for goodness sake, it's a 2 hour flight. Go before you get on then after you get off. Again, I know I probably shouldn't be that way but it's amazing to me how many people use the bathroom on such a short flight. Who knows though, maybe they're nervous?

Now this is what really got to me. Every now & then J would turn back to say something to me or sometimes he was just clowning around(like in this picture). I could kind of tell that the woman I gave my seat to was getting annoyed with it. She gets up to go to the bathroom & told me that if I wanted to sit in her seat(which was mine to begin with)so I could talk to my family for a bit I could. She said it rudely & I could tell that she was annoyed so I knew she was being smart. I gave her the same treatment that the guy on the TE gave to me--the eye roll and the silent treatment. I felt like telling her to give me back my seat. It was at this point that I remembered the saying, "no good deed goes unpunished". This is so true....
View attachment 312392

The flight ended up landing about a half hour later than it was supposed to. I couldn't wait to get off that plane!!

View attachment 312393
Some folk just think they are privileged😣

LeighM

I didn't think of it until you mentioned it, but I usually have tears leaving Riverside and I didn't leaving Coronado. I was sad about leaving WDW but I didn't have the same emotional reaction that I usually have leaving POR.

And sorry but I'm one of those people with small bladders!!!! On the verge of being TMI but my bladder usually has to go every half hour. When I get nervous, like I do when I'm flying, I have to go every 15 minutes. I usually got about 5 times in the last half hour leading up to boarding. The plane bathrooms give me claustrophobia so I try to hold it as long as I possibly can while trying to make it to the midway point of the flight. And all of that is when I'm dehydrated because I can't drink anything before my flight because it will increase the urgency LOL.

sheriffwoody

I know the Magical Express is "free" but the way I see it is you paid for it somewhere down the line so you might as well use it.
That's exactly how my husband feels :joyfull: Same with the regular buses to the parks. I would just assume take a Lyft everywhere, unless I have no plans. It's really only when I have a FP or reservation to get to that waiting for the buses bothers me.

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
Some folk just think they are privileged😣
Isn't that the truth!:cautious:
I didn't think of it until you mentioned it, but I usually have tears leaving Riverside and I didn't leaving Coronado. I was sad about leaving WDW but I didn't have the same emotional reaction that I usually have leaving POR.

And sorry but I'm one of those people with small bladders!!!! On the verge of being TMI but my bladder usually has to go every half hour. When I get nervous, like I do when I'm flying, I have to go every 15 minutes. I usually got about 5 times in the last half hour leading up to boarding. The plane bathrooms give me claustrophobia so I try to hold it as long as I possibly can while trying to make it to the midway point of the flight. And all of that is when I'm dehydrated because I can't drink anything before my flight because it will increase the urgency LOL.
I've only stayed at 3 other resorts on property & I never once shed a tear when I left them either. It's not that I didn't like them but they're just not Riverside.

I'm glad you said this. That's why I try not to judge people b/c I'm sure in most cases there is a good reason. I think I was just irritated b/c of missing the TE, the delayed flight & then I had to juggle all my items every time someone would get up to go to the bathroom. I've probably jinxed myself by complaining--next flight I'll be in the bathroom constantly!!
That's exactly how my husband feels :joyfull: Same with the regular buses to the parks. I would just assume take a Lyft everywhere, unless I have no plans. It's really only when I have a FP or reservation to get to that waiting for the buses bothers me.
I actually like taking the buses(even at POR with the 4 stops). I feel like it's part of the experience & has a "Disney feel" to it. I am a big fan though of the Minnie vans--but only going from resort to resort. They have made life so much easier. $25 is a bit steep to go a few miles but if there is a few people in your party & you're splitting the cost it's not too bad.

Rista1313

I actually like taking the buses(even at POR with the 4 stops). I feel like it's part of the experience & has a "Disney feel" to it. I am a big fan though of the Minnie vans--but only going from resort to resort. They have made life so much easier. $25 is a bit steep to go a few miles but if there is a few people in your party & you're splitting the cost it's not too bad.

Did you see the announcement about the Minnie Vans starting to go mileage based? I wonder if it will be more or less expensive than the $25 doing it that way? I also wonder about the ECV vans and if they are going to handle those the same way.

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
Did you see the announcement about the Minnie Vans starting to go mileage based? I wonder if it will be more or less expensive than the $25 doing it that way? I also wonder about the ECV vans and if they are going to handle those the same way.
I did. I would hope it would be less expensive but something tells me if they've had this much success with charging $25 one way why would they structure it so that it would end up being cheaper? I'm interested to see what happens though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom