The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Mike S

And that IS the whole point.

Like I have said elsewhere, Disney isn't just looking at pennies, it actually looks at fractions of pennies ... while say ... letting people shoplift merchandise at the parks because they don't want altercations, which drives me nuts ...

But please, don't try and get soda for life ... :D
They let people shoplift?!?!?! I think I just found a good way to make some money on Frozen merch my next trip :greedy:;)

StageFrenzy

Since this is the go to sandwich thread. I discovered that they just opened a new St. Petersburg location for Earl of Sandwich. I'm fairly excited about it. But I don't know how special they are anymore considering there's a firehouse on every corner and Wawa's are pushing hard-core into Florida. There are so many places to get a quality hot sandwich now.

WDW1974

Original Poster
They let people shoplift?!?!?! I think I just found a good way to make some money on Frozen merch my next trip :greedy:;)

They basically won't stop anyone unless it is particularly egregious, like they won't let someone grab a piece of art off the walls of Art of Disney at EPCOT or smash the watch/display case and start grabbing everything.

But if a CM sees someone walk out with a keychain or plush or pin or tee, the general policy is to (no pun intended) LET IT GO!!!

Drives me crazy. I once reported a shoplifter and the CMs listened and went right back to ringing up guests.

As a stockholder, this drives me crazy.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Since this is the go to sandwich thread. I discovered that they just opened a new St. Petersburg location for Earl of Sandwich. I'm fairly excited about it. But I don't know how special they are anymore considering there's a firehouse on every corner and Wawa's are pushing hard-core into Florida. There are so many places to get a quality hot sandwich now.

I don't get the fanboi for Earl. The food is tasty, but Quizno's is too (and they are about to cease to exist). They also are all over now ... in malls, food courts, and every FLA Turnpike rest area. They are just like Dole Whip. Over-rated. Seriously so.

Mike S

They basically won't stop anyone unless it is particularly egregious, like they won't let someone grab a piece of art off the walls of Art of Disney at EPCOT or smash the watch/display case and start grabbing everything.

But if a CM sees someone walk out with a keychain or plush or pin or tee, the general policy is to (no pun intended) LET IT GO!!!

Drives me crazy. I once reported a shoplifter and the CMs listened and went right back to ringing up guests.

As a stockholder, this drives me crazy.
Maybe if word of that policy got out and people started doing it on a big enough scale it would change. That actually is really weird that Disney is so defensive of people stealing soda but they would let merch go right out the door. I have stock as well, my parents got it when I was a kid.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Maybe if word of that policy got out and people started doing it on a big enough scale it would change. That actually is really weird that Disney is so defensive of people stealing soda but they would let merch go right out the door. I have stock as well, my parents got it when I was a kid.

Disney was never concerned about soda thievery. Nutjob fans were. ... and eventually, some middle manager (who likely read fan forums like this) started observing folks bringing back old mugs and the result was ... RapidFill.

I don't think the shoplifting deal will change because they don't want a scene where some teen (or like the poor guy who was murdered by cops in NYC for selling cigarettes) is on the ground cursing and bleeding in a chokehold because he walked out of the Emporium with $150 worth of pins that cost Disney about $2 to make. And while there will always be those who steal, I can't help but think that Disney has brought their current problem (which is a whole lot bigger than they'd admit) on themselves by gouging guests. People who feel a company is doing them dirty (rightly or wrongly) are more likely to act out against the company.

71jason

I don't get the fanboi for Earl. The food is tasty, but Quizno's is too (and they are about to cease to exist). They also are all over now ... in malls, food courts, and every FLA Turnpike rest area. They are just like Dole Whip. Over-rated. Seriously so.

When it first opened, was very reasonably priced (even by real world standards) and had some unusual combinations you couldn't get at Subway. And that fresh baked bread taste gave the sandwiches an X factor. Friendly service, too, like Chik-Fil-A good.

Since then they've upped the prices, dumbed down the menu, and let customer service go down the tubes. Still a couple decent sandwiches tho, and still almost on a par price-wise with the also good but overpriced Quiznos.

71jason

I don't think the shoplifting deal will change because they don't want a scene where some teen (or like the poor guy who was murdered by cops in NYC for selling cigarettes) is on the ground cursing and bleeding in a chokehold because he walked out of the Emporium with $150 worth of pins that cost Disney about $2 to make. And while there will always be those who steal, I can't help but think that Disney has brought their current problem (which is a whole lot bigger than they'd admit) on themselves by gouging guests. People who feel a company is doing them dirty (rightly or wrongly) are more likely to act out against the company.

Agreed that the high prices probably exacerbate the problem. As for non-enforcement, it's hardly just WDW. My godaughter's mother has horrible taste in men--husband #4 decided to shoplift a pair of flip-flops from the big store at Universal. A manager grabbed him on the way out and politely but firmly told him he could (1) surrender his ticket and accept a 1-year ban, or (2) discuss the matter further with OPD. He, like I imagine the vast majority of shoplifters, chose option 1.

Similarly, my brother manages a national discount clothing retailer. They train employees not to interfere with shoplifters--it's strictly left to Loss Prevention. Corporate doesn't want the liability of an overzealous employee getting hurt tackling a shoplifter, or an overly litigious shoplifter suing because she got 4 cracked ribs over a stolen $10 blouse.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

What Earls offers is it is a fair price, something that is rare at Disney. It also doesn't make me chuck 2/3 into the trash like most sandwich places at Disney, though I like Starring Rolls.

Earl is one of the few QS places I can stomach and I'm not a fan of buying food from a truck and eating outside. Animals eat outside. Humans eat indoors with napkins and utensils.

Omnispace

Yay! A food thread! I was never a fan of Quiznos but that could be because we have Togo's here and Erik's Deli. Specialty's in SF also makes great sandwiches.

The funny thing about food is that it seems to taste better when it has a cult following. Yes, Dole Whip may be just a simple pineapple freeze, but it's related to the Enchanted Tiki Room which is fortunately very high on the "cool list" again.

AND, you can now get Dole Whip in an incredible Tiki Bowl!! How much cooler can it get??

photo-3.jpg

Last edited:

Omnispace

I can't believe we are talking about sandwiches on a Disney board and no one has mentioned Monte Cristo sandwiches! It was basically our family's introduction to "culture" all the years we ate at the Blue Bayou Restaurant in DL. In those days, one could walk up and get seated relatively quickly for a nice lunch by the bayou. There wasn't what seems like 500 tables squeezed into a 200 table area back then and no one had to literally sit 4 feet from the kitchen door -- there was a bit of breathing room it seemed. Once I made it through my "kid" phase of only eating spaghetti when we went out, I started trying the Monte Cristo and it's something I look forward to. Last time I was at DL, I was pleased it was on the menu at Cafe Orlean's. Granted, I realize it's not on a high order of culinary excellence but that doesn't mean that one can't enjoy it otherwise. It's another example of a simple thing contributing to the overall experience.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Agreed that the high prices probably exacerbate the problem. As for non-enforcement, it's hardly just WDW. My godaughter's mother has horrible taste in men--husband #4 decided to shoplift a pair of flip-flops from the big store at Universal. A manager grabbed him on the way out and politely but firmly told him he could (1) surrender his ticket and accept a 1-year ban, or (2) discuss the matter further with OPD. He, like I imagine the vast majority of shoplifters, chose option 1.

Similarly, my brother manages a national discount clothing retailer. They train employees not to interfere with shoplifters--it's strictly left to Loss Prevention. Corporate doesn't want the liability of an overzealous employee getting hurt tackling a shoplifter, or an overly litigious shoplifter suing because she got 4 cracked ribs over a stolen $10 blouse.

Disney won't 'grab' anyone. They have a strictly hands off policy. And if a CM doesn't actually see an item or items being lifted, then they absolutely will not even attempt to call security. ... To be blunt, they would be having multiple ugly physical altercations every day in every park if they decided to go after them. Of course, one has to ask when did things get so bad and why?

WDW1974

Original Poster
What Earls offers is it is a fair price, something that is rare at Disney. It also doesn't make me chuck 2/3 into the trash like most sandwich places at Disney, though I like Starring Rolls.

Earl is one of the few QS places I can stomach and I'm not a fan of buying food from a truck and eating outside. Animals eat outside. Humans eat indoors with napkins and utensils.

Dining al fresco can be quite pleasant, just not nine months a year in FL.

But Ear's just doesn't do it for me. I'd rather go to a mall food court and have a Charley's cheesesteak ... hell, I'd rather go to Publix and pick up a sandwich at the deli.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I can't believe we are talking about sandwiches on a Disney board and no one has mentioned Monte Cristo sandwiches! It was basically our family's introduction to "culture" all the years we ate at the Blue Bayou Restaurant in DL. In those days, one could walk up and get seated relatively quickly for a nice lunch by the bayou. There wasn't what seems like 500 tables squeezed into a 200 table area back then and no one had to literally sit 4 feet from the kitchen door -- there was a bit of breathing room it seemed. Once I made it through my "kid" phase of only eating spaghetti when we went out, I started trying the Monte Cristo and it's something I look forward to. Last time I was at DL, I was pleased it was on the menu at Cafe Orlean's. Granted, I realize it's not on a high order of culinary excellence but that doesn't mean that one can't enjoy it otherwise. It's another example of a simple thing contributing to the overall experience.

See, my history with Monte Cristo's (Sp?) also began with Disney. Just not at DL.

There was a time (let's call it WDW's first 15 years) when they were a specialty at the long-gone Town Square Cafe on MSUSA (yes, what Tony's now is). That's where I had my first artery clogging taste of one.

But like much of WDW's culinary history (what I wouldn't give for their homemade Italian salad dressing that was available all over property in the 70s and 80s and served at the last location, Trail's End at FW, until the mid-late 90s), it simply was wiped away like it never happened.

People Love Earl's because Good Ol' Earl gives you a free sandwich on your birthday...which is part of new Disney's Free Dining Plan 2.0 (the ultra cheap free DDP)

Omnispace

See, my history with Monte Cristo's (Sp?) also began with Disney. Just not at DL.

There was a time (let's call it WDW's first 15 years) when they were a specialty at the long-gone Town Square Cafe on MSUSA (yes, what Tony's now is). That's where I had my first artery clogging taste of one.

But like much of WDW's culinary history (what I wouldn't give for their homemade Italian salad dressing that was available all over property in the 70s and 80s and served at the last location, Trail's End at FW, until the mid-late 90s), it simply was wiped away like it never happened.

Good to know that WDW at least had the MC at some time - I always wondered if they did. I have tried them at other restaurants but they never seem to quite match Disney's -- (there must be a specially designed deep fryer for them). Monte Cristo sandwiches are in many ways a lot like Tiramisu: it never seems to be quite the same in any two restaurants, and it's never quite as good as your favorite version which you can only get an one particular place.

Omnispace

Disney won't 'grab' anyone. They have a strictly hands off policy. And if a CM doesn't actually see an item or items being lifted, then they absolutely will not even attempt to call security. ... To be blunt, they would be having multiple ugly physical altercations every day in every park if they decided to go after them. Of course, one has to ask when did things get so bad and why?

Wow! That's really bizarre. I always had the impression that anyone misbehaving in a Disney park would be wrapped in a cloak by uniformed men and whisked off though a blind door offstage. Perhaps the viral videos of the drunk man getting pepper-sprayed at DCA has something to do with it. You can't pick your nose in public without having someone record you and post it online as a significant offense, ....or as entertainment. No doubt Disney doesn't want videos of their security staff doing their jobs being published online if things get ugly.

John

Yay! A food thread! I was never a fan of Quiznos but that could be because we have Togo's here and Erik's Deli. Specialty's in SF also makes great sandwiches.

The funny thing about food is that it seems to taste better when it has a cult following. Yes, Dole Whip may be just a simple pineapple freeze, but it's related to the Enchanted Tiki Room which is fortunately very high on the "cool list" again.

AND, you can now get Dole Whip in an incredible Tiki Bowl!! How much cooler can it get??

photo-3.jpg

I am totally going to steal one of those on my next trip...lol j/k!!!!!! Figured I keep my post current with the thread;)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wow! That's really bizarre. I always had the impression that anyone misbehaving in a Disney park would be wrapped in a cloak by uniformed men and whisked off though a blind door offstage. Perhaps the viral videos of the drunk man getting pepper-sprayed at DCA has something to do with it. You can't pick your nose in public without having someone record you and post it online as a significant offense, ....or as entertainment. No doubt Disney doesn't want videos of their security staff doing their jobs being published online if things get ugly.

They simply have determined that a certain amount of merchandise will walk out the doors daily and they're OK with that. I wonder if merchandise didn't have such obscene markups would it curb some of the criminal behavior.

Maybe Steven Miller would like to respond here (or just announce the special Food and Wine vinylmation series, coming soon!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom