The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

SirLink

I don't see any scenario where Ep7 makes less the $1 Billion world wide. Ep1, widely considered the worst of the SW movies, released 15 years ago still managed to make $1 Billion world wide.

It doesn't make a billion if they stick the Disney logo at the front, same reason why if they start sticking the Disney castle studio logo in front of Marvel movies.

Unless its a fairy tale the Disney logo on live action movies is the kiss of death. See Lone Ranger, John Carter, Tron 2.0, Blackhole ... the only live action non-fairytale movie series that has benefited was PotC...

Captain Neo

Spirit do you know if the new attraction being built at IOA is jurassic park themed or King Kong themed? A new JP ride would make way more sense considering the theme of the island

alissafalco

@ParentsOf4 -
when our youngest twins were 3 and we took them to WDW for their first visit, DW and I knew the trip was more for us than for them. The children would have been just as happy staying at a local hotel with a swimming pool.
Frankly, just about the only things they remember from those early trips were the hotel swimming pools.

We knew all along that the trips were for Mom and Dad. :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree. My daughter is 3 1/2 and my son is 15 months. My husband and I both know that the trips are more for us . We love the parks, and its easier for us to bring them with us than to find babysitting for a week. We only do what they are capable of and we leave the parks no later then 6:30pm and they are in bed by 7pm. Also, its nice that they are free until they are 3. Will they remember? No, but I will remember the smiles on their faces (I make scrap books too that they can see when they are older). Also, my daughter loves it and what should we do, leave our son home because he's only 15 months? and not go as a family? that's silly. We had a great time as a family in November and I don't understand why people get bent out of shape if I bring my toddler to WDW. As long as you know your limits with them its all good :)
Florida Nov 2013 080(2).jpg

My youngest is 4 but clearly remembers things from when he was 2 that I had forgotten all about, not Disney because he hadn't been but he remembered lots about Alton Towers in the UK and even gave me directions to get there when he was 3 and hadn't been for 12 months, yes I was amazed too.

My eldest two kids went for the first time when they were 3 and I'm surprized how much they still remember from their first visits, they are now 10 and 7.

But as to keeping them out late at night, the latest we ever managed was about 10pm and then they would be asleep in my arms being carried back to the bus, usually it was closer to 9pm when they couldn't keep their eyes open any longer. None of mine have ever needed a stroller in the parks, if they are tired we have a sit down and get a cool drink. We've tried the lunchtime nap but it never works for my kids so we just take a break in the parks.

The first week is always the hardest while they adjust to the Florida heat and the 5 hour time difference from the UK.

Our trips are mostly for the kids and our enjoyment comes from watching them enjoy themselves. If it was just us adults we'd have a far more relaxing time instead of running from ride to ride.

HM Spectre

The only thing that I would add to this is that it amazes me that people think that TWDC needs to justify any of their expenses to anyone other then major share holders. The public has neither the need to know or the right to know this stuff. It's like if one goes out and buys a new car and all the neighbors storm their house and demand to know where the money is coming from to buy it and what are their other expenses.

What Disney pays for anything is no ones business. Even if you say that the cost is passed on, (or course it is) it still is a situation that Disney offers a service that one can either reject or accept and support. No one is being forced and no one is owed an explanation.

I don't necessarily agree with this; for example, let's say you're not a major shareholder but a "lowly" AP holder. Does it matter to you whether Disney spends $2B on MM+ vs. new park attractions? Absolutely it does... because one (MM+) has far less use to an AP holder than new attractions would.

As a customer, you have every right to know if a giant capital expenditure by the company will negatively impact your experience (ala cuts to recoup losses from MM+). The "Disney offers a service that one can either reject or accept and support" mentality is part of what's caused this mess in the first place.

Yes, you do vote with your dollars and if you don't like how they're running the company, you can spend them elsewhere but that shouldn't mean that TDO can do whatever it likes without questioning or discussing it with their customers. How many customers would choose magic bands over a glut of new attractions?

A company should always compete for their customers' dollars and have an open dialogue with their customers to find out how to do an even better job. When instead, a company acts like they have no responsibility to anyone but their shareholders and tells their customers to deal with it or go pound sand, they're doomed to fail.

Take care of your customers and employees first and they'll take care of your shareholders and bottom line. Answer only to shareholders while viewing your customer as a resource to be milked dry... and eventually your customer/employee will leave to find someone who listens to them or, even better, anticipates their needs before they even know what they are. Hello Universal.

71jason

So.... word on the street is that a dinosaur who appears on public TV and a near by children's playground are set to disappear faster than a monkey can sling poo.

I assume the immigrant mouse as well? Considering I'm not sure some of the parents of the target market are old enough to remember those films...

Shame about Curious George, possibly the most under-rated attraction in Orlando. Has a simple Gatorland/Dinosaur World vibe you just don't see in the big parks.

alphac2005

I would guess his days are largely filled with meetings. Execs at that level love meetings.

Truest line of knowing how the executive level works. Sometimes it's at the point of meetings about meetings and the vast number of the meetings are a bunch of garbage. Nothing like the meetings that take place about going to an unneeded conference to have meetings about nothing while costing the company plenty of $$$. Meetings=Executive equivalent of checking email or Facebook as the common people around the office. By scheduling meetings, there is an airs that they are actually doing something while doing nothing.

71jason

Bloomberg Businessweek profile on Kevin Fiege. Now that guy should be CEO one day! I have also included choice quotes.

Saw Cap 2 last night. Another hit right out of the park. What amazes me the most is Marvel found a way to recycle not one, not two, but three cheesy Silver Age villains that most studios would laugh out of the script room--and make them seem modern and realistic to the universe Marvel has created.

Not sure he'd want the chance, but imagine this guy being given the keys to Mickey, Donald, Horace, Clarabelle etc.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A company should always compete for their customers' dollars and have an open dialogue with their customers to find out how to do an even better job. When instead, a company acts like they have no responsibility to anyone but their shareholders and tells their customers to deal with it or go pound sand, they're doomed to fail.

Take care of your customers and employees first and they'll take care of your shareholders and bottom line. Answer only to shareholders while viewing your customer as a resource to be milked dry... and eventually your customer/employee will leave to find someone who listens to them or, even better, anticipates their needs before they even know what they are. Hello Universal.

Warren Buffet says exactly the same thing and I quote "If you manage only for the bottom line, soon you will not HAVE a bottom line"

If you look at the companies which Berkshire Hathaway have purchased over the years they are all "High Touch" companies with exceptional customer service and BH funding strengthens them, Notably they are all highly profitable over the long term as well generally more so than their competitors in the same sector who manage the 'Wall St Way'.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Saw Cap 2 last night. Another hit right out of the park. What amazes me the most is Marvel found a way to recycle not one, not two, but three cheesy Silver Age villains that most studios would laugh out of the script room--and make them seem modern and realistic to the universe Marvel has created.

Not sure he'd want the chance, but imagine this guy being given the keys to Mickey, Donald, Horace, Clarabelle etc.

Kevin is at heart a creative in the mold of Walt and Michael, He can see the potential in the source material and bring it to life.

Thurp

Who says they can't have both?

This makes more sense as I couldn't imagine King Kong going into the JP area when the current Kong attraction at USH is simply a tram going into a room surrounded by screens and back out. The Disaster building seems to be perfect for this. So my guess is Kong will replace Disaster and then something new will go into JP.

GLaDOS

This makes more sense as I couldn't imagine King Kong going into the JP area when the current Kong attraction at USH is simply a tram going into a room surrounded by screens and back out. The Disaster building seems to be perfect for this. So my guess is Kong will replace Disaster and then something new will go into JP.

No. Kong is going into the plot next to JPRA. It is not, however, a clone of King Kong 360. It's a whole new experience. A JP attraction will go somewhere else in the land currently sitting dormant.

mgpan

My 14 year old nephew who has been to Disney since he was a kid just visited Orlando for a school band trip. They visited Universal for a day (his first time). As much as he liked it though, he said it was missing that "secluded, tucked away from reality" feeling that you get at WDW. At 14 yrs old he recognizes that magical feeling Disney gives you......

ITs not just a theme park, its almost a right of passage in some families. Taking a picture as you drive under the Disney arch, turning on the "must do" channel as soon as you walk in your room....

Excellent post and you include something important to consider. The nephew just "visited Universal for a day" and said it lacked that tucked away from reality feeling. And if only visiting for a day, i'd agree. You also mention turning on the must do channel as you walk into your Disney hotel room, meaning for a multi-day onsite stay. When staying onsite at a Universal resort (for an equal or nicer hotel room at a much lower price point) for a multi-day stay, I get that secluded tucked away from reality feeling just like a multi-day stay at WDW. That's what concerns me about the huge increases and price points WDW resorts command these days. I don't get that "immersed in the Magic" feeling when staying offsite at WDW. If room occupancy is high ok, but if not, it's almost counter to the brainchild that was DME, to keep people and their $ onsite.

Last edited:

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I don't necessarily agree with this; for example, let's say you're not a major shareholder but a "lowly" AP holder. Does it matter to you whether Disney spends $2B on MM+ vs. new park attractions? Absolutely it does... because one (MM+) has far less use to an AP holder than new attractions would.

As a customer, you have every right to know if a giant capital expenditure by the company will negatively impact your experience (ala cuts to recoup losses from MM+). The "Disney offers a service that one can either reject or accept and support" mentality is part of what's caused this mess in the first place.

Yes, you do vote with your dollars and if you don't like how they're running the company, you can spend them elsewhere but that shouldn't mean that TDO can do whatever it likes without questioning or discussing it with their customers. How many customers would choose magic bands over a glut of new attractions?

As a customer you have the right to get upset, stop using a companies services or file never ending complaints but a customer does not have a right to know about giant capital expeditures at all, the fact we know anything is simply a benefit of insider information. The board has a right to know, even shareholders have a right at a certain level of expenditure but not a customer. If a local grocery store decides to upgrade their entire register, inventory, scheduling, online, pharmacy and accounting systems, it is not a customer right to know how much they are spending at all. There will also be impacts to the customers during the transistion and testing phases that may cause longer lines, cashier training issues, management problems, and may result in the grocery store losing some customers during the transition. If the store management had any clue they would account for some of those in the cost of the project to better forecast the real expense.

In TDOs case, they had a very outdated backend data network full of disjointed, incompatible systems that required a massive upgrade sooner than later. The integration projects that seem to be going on in the background to consolidate systems to support long-term strategic growth, the ability to expand or add new features and the new "features" we know of today to track movement, plan resources, and support marketing through data analysis is quite complex and very expensive to implement even on a small scale.

I agree with you that a company should compete for customer dollars, they all compete just in different ways. Not all companies follow the same path to acheive their primary goal; to separate you from your hard earned cash and customers may find the products offered by company A are more compelling than company B. Just look at iPhone vs. Android, XBONE vs PS4 and so on. Each company has a product they are selling, in most cases it is simply a matter of price except the iPhone which is still the #1 phone made but Android OS is more popular because of the vast variety of phones, options and a lot of times cost. If a company does not provide a product or service you are willing to pay for at their price point simply walk away, I do it all the time.

Any company will bleed you dry of cash if they can as a matter of practice, even your local dry-cleaners will do all your laundry for you for a price (too steep in my opinion) but they will milk you for everthing they can, WDW is no different except in the product set and method.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom