The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

spacemt354

Chili's
Children below a certain age need sleep, and lots of it. Please refer to WebMD for a guide:

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/guide/sleep-children

For children ages 3 to 6, the recommendation is 10-to-12 hours per day. Presumably, children above this age should not require a stroller.

It doesn't matter whether it's a vacation or not. Parents should make sure their children get the correct amount of sleep every day.

It's also important not to vary their sleep patterns just because it's a vacation. If they are used to waking up at a certain time, then that time should be respected, even on vacation.

To make sure our young children received sufficient sleep, it meant both an afternoon nap and leaving the theme parks no later than 8 PM to make sure they were in bed no later than 9 PM.

WebMD is certainly not the most accurate source of information. I can type in 3 symptoms and it can diagnose me with everything ranging from the flu to MS. :confused:

If I want medical information, I don't use WebMD.

Needless to say though in this case, you are correct, children do need sleep. However the rigidity of the 10-12 hours doesn't have to be held gospel. It is recommended.

On a personal note, when I was a child, I could stay up with everyone else in my family. I would take an afternoon nap around 2 or 3pm, wake up for dinner and be ready for the night. Everyone is different though. Not every child is the same, and not all should be held to the same standards.

There is nothing wrong with "sleeping in" till 9 or 10am as a child. If they leave the park by 10pm, are in bed by 11pm, and wake up at 9am...that still fits into your range of 10-12 hrs of sleep. (In addition to any potential nap throughout the day.) So I'm not sure where the criticism comes from.

While one philosophy might have worked for your family, others might be different, but no less correct.

The_Mesh_Hatter

The Matterhorn is faster and longer, I agree. But I'm not sure what you mean by "more elaborate layout" -- it's a pretty basic steel coaster in terms of the track, where you go up the lift hill and then you just coast down. There's two tracks, so that is I suppose a little elaborate, but the ride itself is basically just downhill coasting in and out of caverns that are just themed to being icy. The Abomina Snowman show scenes are pretty minimalist as well.

As I said, the Matterhorn is fasting and more "thrilling" while the 7DMT has the rocking effect of the carts and looks to have more detailed show scenes (albeit less indoor time than the Matterhorn). I'm not sure why you would say there is no comparison. The Matterhorn, while old and beloved, is not exactly the pinacle of WDI projects.

I can easily draw out the layout of the Mine Train and I haven't even ridden it yet. It's very simple. I've been riding the Matterhorn since I was 5, probably well over 100 times, and I still don't know the layout. It is very complex.

spacemt354

Chili's
The Matterhorn is faster and longer, I agree. But I'm not sure what you mean by "more elaborate layout" -- it's a pretty basic steel coaster in terms of the track, where you go up the lift hill and then you just coast down. There's two tracks, so that is I suppose a little elaborate, but the ride itself is basically just downhill coasting in and out of caverns that are just themed to being icy. The Abomina Snowman show scenes are pretty minimalist as well.

As I said, the Matterhorn is fasting and more "thrilling" while the 7DMT has the rocking effect of the carts and looks to have more detailed show scenes (albeit less indoor time than the Matterhorn). I'm not sure why you would say there is no comparison. The Matterhorn, while old and beloved, is not exactly the pinacle of WDI projects.

Matterhorn is not that "thrilling." It's very tame.

I will say the complexity and the longevity of the ride is superior than that I see in 7DMT. In terms of length, you get more "roller" in your "coaster" so to speak with the Matterhorn, and the dueling tracks give riders a different perspective on each side.

Also the technology that was available in the late 1950s for the Matterhorn was far less advanced than the tech for 7DMT. If we are basing complexity on how the show scenes are organized and assembled, for the time period Matterhorn was built in, it was very advanced.

CDavid

You attach the total investment dollar of 2-2.5 billion and hang that on being spent to 'obtain attraction head count'. The NextGen cost of 2+ billion dollars is not just for 1 feature, so why do you keep attaching on aspect of it to it's total cost?

The point is that obtaining an accurate attraction head count was never in any way the purpose behind the development of MM+. Disney has always had access to that information; That was not their intention with this project, and the perception that it was somehow the rationale for NGE wasn't mine, but is in fact the very statement which I was refuting.

Apparently, I didn't refute it very well...gee, am I that tired??? :confused:

ASilmser

Children below a certain age need sleep, and lots of it. Please refer to WebMD for a guide:

For children ages 3 to 6, the recommendation is 10-to-12 hours per day. Presumably, children above this age should not require a stroller.

It doesn't matter whether it's a vacation or not. Parents should make sure their children get the correct amount of sleep every day.

It's also important not to vary their sleep patterns just because it's a vacation. If they are used to waking up at a certain time, then that time should be respected, even on vacation.

To make sure our young children received sufficient sleep, it meant both an afternoon nap and leaving the theme parks no later than 8 PM to make sure they were in bed no later than 9 PM.

There is absolutely no way that you can tell if a random child's cranky behavior at WDW is due to lack of sleep, lack of nutrition, over-stimulation, heat, dehydration, illness, or stress. Hell, if you were to live by the medical books for your trip to Disney World, then you'd better stay home. It breeds all of the things I just mentioned above, and a handful more.

Unless you know the ins-and-outs of the daily schedule for every kid in the stroller and the parents who are pushing him or her around, reserve judgement please. It's almost laughable that you would waste time and energy being disgusted with loud crabby kids and strollers (at any time of day) in Disney World. It's like complaining about the humidity in August and expecting Disney to do something about it. Next time you go, please give me your trip itinerary, so that we can be prepared for your sneers when we get a stroller for our 6-year-old and take her to the late night fireworks after a not-so-routine sleep schedule.

Crafty

I am definitely not a financial guru. However, I can see an obvious reason why Disney is not talking much about the financial gains from FP+.

They don't yet want to admit that they will be charging for the fastpasses. In the testing and development phase, they are not charging for anything and they don't want to create a furor related to charging until they are ready to do so. I believe that they are currently figuring out what the market will bear and how they will charge.

Maybe the first three fastpasses will be included in the admission price and extras will cost more.

Maybe guests staying on world will get three fastpasses and those staying off world will have to pay for all of them.

Maybe Tier One rides will cost more than Tier Two.

Trying to figure out their changing strategies based on the testing is interesting, but not reliable. We will have to wait and see. I have no doubt, though, that the way people will be paying for the parks is on the brink of major change and that Disney is not ready to disclose this.

ASilmser

I am definitely not a financial guru. However, I can see an obvious reason why Disney is not talking much about the financial gains from FP+.

They don't yet want to admit that they will be charging for the fastpasses. In the testing and development phase, they are not charging for anything and they don't want to create a furor related to charging until they are ready to do so. I believe that they are currently figuring out what the market will bear and how they will charge.

Maybe the first three fastpasses will be included in the admission price and extras will cost more.

Maybe guests staying on world will get three fastpasses and those staying off world will have to pay for all of them.

Maybe Tier One rides will cost more than Tier Two.

Trying to figure out their changing strategies based on the testing is interesting, but not reliable. We will have to wait and see. I have no doubt, though, that the way people will be paying for the parks is on the brink of major change and that Disney is not ready to disclose this.

This is interesting. A total speculation, but plausible. . . .Maybe a few years down the road.

ASilmser

So which of these medical conditions are best cured by keeping young children up late at night at a crowded, loud, humid theme park?
None, per se. None is automatically fixed by leaving the park either. You have to know the situation, the family, and the kid--which is why I said you should reserve judgement unless you do. I also forgot to add "or just being a kid" to the reasons for being cranky. Like I said, if you want to avoid the possibility of these things happening, don't bring them to WDW at all. EVER.

Last edited:

Kuzcotopia

Since it's Disney and live action they will probably produce the first Star Wars film ever which LOSES money. Another 'John Carter' with 3x the budget and 30x the #FAIL

Maybe. But they could make the movie, screen it for free all around the world. . . and STILL make a profit on the merchandising alone.

Imagine how much money they'll make on the Darth (insert name here) lightsabres, or the Star Wars logo added to your cool ranch Doritos taco, or the stuffed animals based on the super-cute race of furry anthropomorphics for the toddlers.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Which is all the reason why a nice, peaceful vacation (For $7000) somewhere in Europe sounds much more relaxing
but noone of them can refill your pixie dust requirements.

honestly, I live in a tourist town in Mexico, If I wanted to just "eat". Id take my car and drive less than 5 minutes to the beach which is full of restaurants of varying qualities.

gusgoose

That's great, you sound like really responsible parents. I know you also seem to be a connected guy with WDW, someone who can pull out interesting and insightful resort and ride statistics. So I'm wondering what connection you used to track my family all week to audit my son's total hours of sleep per day, so that you could properly judge our parenting skills? I knew we'd be getting monitored wearing our magic bands, but had no idea it could extend this far.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom