The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

BrianLo

The simulator was classed as a good D.

The true E was cut.

So now people think the bigger attraction is automatically an E.

Though in a world where people think Soarin', TSMM and Mermaid are E's it's only expected.

Is Star Tours considered an E though? That may be the better comparator (or at least I'd like to hope so). Those three other attractions all have show issues that hold them back from actually being E-ticket's.

I also realize the bike coaster was cut, but that was a long time ago. What potentially did they change in the interim to make James Cameron happy? I'm half asking and half trying to add a little optimism.

lazyboy97o

Exactly. What the shareholders want is a company on the black paying dividends repeatedly. TWDCo has exceeded expectations under Iger, and Rasulo gets some (unwarranted) credit of that as CFO.

What we all see as fans of the company (who watch it closely every day), are the billions left on the table. We see a company with incredible untapped potential and silly unjustifiable expenditures.

Iger, Rasulo and co. have done an incredible job of spinning the MM+ debacle and staving off the hounds. How Rasulo's head didn't roll for that one is absolutely beyond me.

If you want a stagnant, yet semi-profitable for the short term, company then Rasulo's your guy. He won't take ANY chances and we will more than likely see the Movie Division take a tumble (because he won't green light any high budget releases. I also imagine Catmull and Lasseter will more than likely leave) and you can almost guarantee that the Parks will either be left to wither or sold (my bet is they would be sold).

Under Rasulo, the company would be exceedingly profitable for the first year or two and would then be absolutely destroyed by the lack of progress. It would end up a skeleton of what it is now.
The Gap under Paul Pressler is probably a good, recent example.

FrankLapidus

I get that Wall Street is very happy with what is going on and sees nothing wrong. However it would seem that Burbank disagrees or it wouldn't be exerting its authority more and more often. My question is why doesn't it use it's authority in a different, more effective, way? Aka- fire the guy.

What exactly do we mean when we say Burbank anyway?

In short I guess my question is how does a branch of the company with authority to compel another branch to do what they want not also have the authority to determine who runs that branch?

Rasulo is one of the main men in Burbank, he isn't going to be fired when he's a big part of the clique that is the current management structure and a product of strategic planning. Rasulo is to Iger what people like Sandy Litvack and Stephen Bollenbach were to Eisner, lackeys who only know how to paint by numbers and tell their boss what he wants to hear. He represents everything that is wrong with TWDC today.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If they thought he/TDO was right why would they insist on expansions, going over his/TDO's head to accomplish it? That would seem to indicate they think he's wrong, and it's happened several times.

You seem to be under this misunderstanding that JR = TDO. JR/Staggs are the 'burbank' in your statements forcing TDO to do things. JR wasn't the TDO people being forced to do things...

TWDC > Board > Iger > (exec levels - including Rasulo) > Parks & Resorts Execs (Staggs is Chairman of P&R) > TDA / TDO / DCL / WDI / International Parks / etc

There is no 'he/TDO' when talking JR... JR is multiple levels above that.

the.dreamfinder

Is Star Tours considered an E though? That may be the better comparator (or at least I'd like to hope so). Those three other attractions all have show issues that hold them back from actually being E-ticket's.

I also realize the bike coaster was cut, but that was a long time ago. What potentially did they change in the interim to make James Cameron happy? I'm half asking and half trying to add a little optimism.
Probably told him it would be added in Phase 2.

kap91

You seem to be under this misunderstanding that JR = TDO. JR/Staggs are the 'burbank' in your statements forcing TDO to do things. JR wasn't the TDO people being forced to do things...

TWDC > Board > Iger > (exec levels - including Rasulo) > Parks & Resorts Execs (Staggs is Chairman of P&R) > TDA / TDO / DCL / WDI / International Parks / etc

Then who is it at the exec level that was in favor of the expansions and was able to get it to happen despite both TDO and jr being against it?

I'm confused about the structure because the standard narrative being repeated doesn't match up to the structure.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In short I guess my question is how does a branch of the company with authority to compel another branch to do what they want not also have the authority to determine who runs that branch?

Your confusion comes because you have the hierarchy all wrong.

Board
-Iger
- CxO positions (Jay Rasulo is here)
- Divisions (Media/P&R/Consumer Products/etc)
- Parks & Resorts Global (Tom Staggs is here)
- Domestic Parks Execs (Meg Crofton is at this level)
- WDW Execs (TDO - George K / TDA - Michael C)
- Individual Park Execs
- etc

flynnibus

Premium Member
Then who is it at the exec level that was in favor of the expansions and was able to get it to happen despite both TDO and jr being against it?

That's something you should ask the insiders like @WDW1974 that make those claims. I've interpreted that to mean the likes of Staggs/Iger/TWDC Execs over the regional leadership under Crofton

Stitchon

On the subject of this Disney Springs talk, I must say... if the tenant lineup is anything like the "vision board" we all saw a while ago, I won't be worried. Topshop/Topman and Uniqlo (both of which would be Florida firsts) would get me to the complex even if I was off-site, and since Shake Shack has yet to show up in California, that's another plus. And if the reaction is anything like the Uniqlo in Union Square or Topshop at The Grove, they're going to be runaway successes.

As it stands right now, Downtown Disney isn't anywhere near "cool" in my eyes. Considering i'm one of those millennials the empty suits like to throw around in the statistics, I'd imagine my opinion isn't isolated. Less touristy, more high-style and unique brands are exactly what would get me spending at Disney Springs.

Color me optimistic.

Back to lurking.

jlsHouston

and on these abbreviations:
TWDC = The Walt Disney Company
TDA/TDO/DCL = ???
WDI = Walt Disney Imagineering

flynnibus

Premium Member
and on these abbreviations:
TWDC = The Walt Disney Company
TDA/TDO/DCL = ???
WDI = Walt Disney Imagineering

TWDC = The Walt Disney Company ... their actual corporate name
TDA/TDO = Team Disney Anaheim, Team Disney Orlando... the names used for the organizations for each regional park, not the central Parks & Resorts Executive or centralized activities

What is also confusing for some is some of the P&R central activities are based in Florida as well (home of 'One Disney'), but are not TDO. They are the next level up in the food chain with responsibilities that extend beyond Florida. TDO only has responsibility for running their local parks.

The different areas are ran like business units each responsible for delivering on their metrics. Metrics that get aggregated with others as you move up the ladder. Disney stopped reporting public numbers for the regional parks a long time ago.

DCL = Disney Cruise Lines. Corporate wise... they are a division under the Parks & Resorts group.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I think Rasulo is just bad full stop, the idea that they might actually put him in charge of the whole company is slightly nauseating. You only have to look at the original plans for the FLE to get an idea of what you could expect for WDW if this man was setting the company-wide agenda, he is a typical paint-by-numbers executive who wouldn't know creativity if it slapped him across the face. You use the example of Comcast and again I really can't believe that their CEO Steve Burke was allowed to walk away from Disney, he would have been a far, far better choice for Disney CEO than either of Iger's lackeys Rasulo and Staggs.

Staggs is actually a pretty big Eisner guy. Iger was a Tom Murphy of Cap-Cities guy who was supposed to become the CEO of Cap-Cities until the acquisition happened. At which point Michael talked to Bob and grew to like his work ethic and business mind. That's how Bob became second in command and then successor. He was actually the right choice for CEO considering he was next in line for Murphy's job.

Jay however is a financial guy all the way... Former alum of JPMC and graduate of Columbia (Econ degree). He's actually a very qualified CFO, but a creative company needs a creative CEO with a guy like him to argue with over budgets. (You need fiscal restraint at times... I'm talking a Walt-Roy or Frank-Michael type of pairing)

EDIT: important to say that Jay was also an Eisner guy. He can serve a great purpose in the company if you have someone who will push back a bit.

MerlinTheGoat

There's still a lot of unanswered question and apparent misinformation as to how much deliberate responsibility Eisner has has for Iger's (and Rasulo's) rise to power. Some of Eisner's business moves apparently lead to both people becoming part of the company, but just how much hands on responsibility Eisner has for allowing Iger to rise to power is something I really haven't heard a consensus on. I've heard many the claim that Eisner was working with Iger and grooming him to become his successor prior to his firing (much like Iger is now doing with Rasulo apparently). But WDW1974's comments on the matter have contradicted this notion, making it sound like Eisner actually didn't like Iger or want him in power. One also wonders the same about how much Eisner contributed to Rasulo rising to power as well (or even Staggs). What is the real truth of the matter?

If what WDW1974 said about Eisner attempting to prevent Rasulo from becoming the next CEO is true (and his apparently consistent jabs regarding his disappointment with Iger's leadership), why were these people allowed to get as high as they did under Eisner in the first place?

FrankLapidus

Staggs is actually a pretty big Eisner guy. Iger was a Tom Murphy of Cap-Cities guy who was supposed to become the CEO of Cap-Cities until the acquisition happened. At which point Michael talked to Bob and grew to like his work ethic and business mind. That's how Bob became second in command and then successor. He was actually the right choice for CEO considering he was next in line for Murphy's job.

Jay however is a financial guy all the way... Former alum of JPMC and graduate of Columbia (Econ degree). He's actually a very qualified CFO, but a creative company needs a creative CEO with a guy like him to argue with over budgets. (You need fiscal restraint at times... I'm talking a Walt-Roy or Frank-Michael type of pairing)

I'm a bit intrigued by the idea of Staggs as CEO because to me he does come across as a man with ideas, someone who could have a grasp of what needs to be done on the creative side but at the same time I'm still skeptical, I just feel like the company needs to go outside and agree with you completely on your points about a creative CEO and leadership pairing. Maybe I'm being overly harsh on Staggs but I've just become so jaded by the corporate culture at TWDC today that I think a clean break is needed and this rumour about Rasulo has really compounded that. The notion that Rasulo is being put forward as the favoured candidate is just ridiculous to me.

MerlinTheGoat

It's also trouble to make sense of the contradictory claims from people about the relationship between Eisner and Iger and how Eisner feels about the way the company is being run when there's things like this-
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...praises-iger-plays-down-lone-ranger-bomb.html

As of July of last year, Eisner has also CLAIMED he's very happy with Iger, with this quote about how he apparently feels about Iger-
“If I had my choice I would have him stay even longer, God knows, maybe he will. The longer he stays, the better it is for the shareholders.”

I'd like to know what @WDW1974 thinks about that quote. Even if Eisner is lying for political reasons, he had no real reason to add the comment about hoping Iger remains at the company and saying he'd ensure his continued stay if he had things his way. What sort of political purpose would this serve Eisner by praising them if he actually wanted guys like Iger and Staggs out behind closed doors? According to spirit, Eisner is actually trying to stir up a force against Rasulo now. Rasulo might be even worse than Iger, but they're both very similar with the same ideals at running a company like Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom