The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes, I have seen that ad. All I can think of (as someone who recently just showed up at DLP and walked onto the Tea Cups!) is what type of OCD, retentive planning fool actually thinks that this is something good?

As for using the word 'TEST', that's a horrible word to use when guests who are spending thousands of dollars have no choice but to take part. Only Disney could use its guests as guinea pigs and advertise it as something good.

Mickey sure has a big pair, no wonder Minnie is always smiling!
They know their guests. Most people were happy to be part of the test. The MM+ section was filled with people gushing over being selected for the test and getting the bands in the mail. I'm guessing the ones who had issues were less happy after the fact, but most people seemed to treat it like a soft opening of a ride, even if it's not quite working 100% they still want to say I tried it first.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Pan Am still exists as a business entity. It is a railroad company in the northeast. It still bears the name and logo.

I know ... it truly kills me that I wasn't able to put a group together and buy them. Pan Am may well be dead to most folks, but that BRAND is still known the world over.

Speaking of which, did anyone know that Montgomery Ward still exists as a retailer? I was shocked to get a catalog in the mail yesterday.

Nubs70

It seems to me that if you have problems - and make it known - Disney has been compensating those people. So if it really is affecting your 'value' - speak up. Otherwise we are just huffing and puffing over hypotheticals.
Understood.

But there was a time when quality and value was not a question... it was WDW. WDW was the definition of quality and value not a vacation where I fear I may need to block out time to negotiate compensation for shortcomings of their beta test.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm still woefully disturbed by the idea that the only way to ensure profits is for Disney to cut and raise prices.

I bumped into a gas last night at the grand Floridian and he was saying that "Disney has priced itself out of the middle class"....

When will somebody on Wall Street actually come up with the bright idea that actually reinvesting in your product brings longer-term growth and success rather than playing a quarter to quarter?

It gets all these entertainment cuts that are happening right now… The parts are about entertainment, why on earth is the company cutting off its nose to spite the face?

I'm all for the stock price to go up… But I want the stock to be a solid performer and not tied to random fluctuations from quarter to quarter.

Wall Street is still playing like it is 2008 (or 2006 ... or 2003 ... or 1999) etc.

Wall Street is simply all about today, tomorrow and possibly the next quarter. There is no such thing as long term under that model. yes, it is destroying this country, but who cares ... the top .0005% surely don't and they absolutely get what's going down.

John

I know ... it truly kills me that I wasn't able to put a group together and buy them. Pan Am may well be dead to most folks, but that BRAND is still known the world over.

Speaking of which, did anyone know that Montgomery Ward still exists as a retailer? I was shocked to get a catalog in the mail yesterday.

I hear JC Penny might be up for sale soon.....might even make a bid for sears.....Thanks Walmart!

Nubs70

I did not know about MW, in fact, I did not know about Pan Am either till I went to work in Northern Maine. There was a map on the wall of our rail routes. Right on the map was the Pan Am logo. Go figure.

Last edited:

Yensid1974

At this point, after all the drama that talking about possibilities (even likely events) brings, I'd rather not state anything on that subject just yet. Suffice to say, there are many things happening behind the scenes on that front and Star Wars will have a much greater presence at Disney parks around the globe.

This sadly is the only thing I have to look forward to as far as park developments. I look forward to the day that you can bring us any solid information on this, and I really hope that it is good news you report. Although, I am not going to expect much to make sure I don't get let down by whatever it is they actually decide to go forward with.

Nubs70

Wall Street is still playing like it is 2008 (or 2006 ... or 2003 ... or 1999) etc.

Wall Street is simply all about today, tomorrow and possibly the next quarter. There is no such thing as long term under that model. yes, it is destroying this country, but who cares ... the top .0005% surely don't and they absolutely get what's going down.
Would tying executives compensation to dividend growth rather than stock price change the short term vision to long term?

WDW1974

Original Poster
ok, lets head south back down to Orlando. Spirit any news on Uni's 3rd gate?

Good luck ... no, way too soon. UNI is looking at acquiring even more land, but there are no guarantees they'll build a third gate (a new water park and multiple hotels are assured). They aren't Disney in the 90s (or now) looking to devour the whole market no matter at what cost ...

I think it is slightly better than 50/50 that it does happen, but it won't be before 2020.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Understood.

But there was a time when quality and value was not a question... it was WDW. WDW was the definition of quality and value not a vacation where I fear I may need to block out time to negotiate compensation for shortcomings of their beta test.

Honestly I think that issue of expectations and value is far larger of a problem than FP+ and predates FP+ by about 10 years :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Don't know that you missed anything. I've just sorta observed that pin mania isn't close to what it was a decade ago and thinking that the OCD hobby is dying way down.
I'm fine with that nor does the vinylmation do anything for me. I can find better uses for my vacation dollars

jlsHouston

It's been catalog order/online since the bankruptcy...no physical locations....reminds me of Winnemucca NV...we could say we had a JC Penney because we had a catalog order location..you could walk in and look through dozens Penney catalogs and order to your heart's content.

Here is something I can speak intelligently on...shopping

stevehousse

You will absolutely see something. I just will burn all my EPCOT ephemera from Opening Day onward if Disney's answer is a Frozen overlay (or anything really) to Maelstrom.
maelstrom is probably one of my favorites at Epcot, I love its quirkiness! I would not mind if they wanted to add a Frozen ride in Norway, but I would be very upset if they go ahead with that overlay! What a cop out :(

WDW1974

Original Poster
Certainly it's signs that they aren't getting the conversions they want. But this is an easy discount to offer because you pretty easily estimate a max cost of the promo and don't have to worry much about the promo canabalizing other potential buyers.

Which side of the equation is the significant mass? For every disenchanted DVC owner we see here, how many dozens are buying in bliss. For every people here that knows it's better to rent your points than cruise on them, how many whales do you see on DCL proud that they paid their cruise with their 'free points'?

there are MANY Disney docs that I'd love to see ... and DVC absolutely would be a treasure trove of interesting data ...

But the fact that Disney never offered such discounts in the past would tend to give one pause regarding the current situation.

Meh... being way overhyped IMO. The zoo assumed (mistakenly) that people would be interested in the opportunity for the medical exercise. Obviously some people can't handle the truth and they should have just done it in the back like it's always done and just not opened the opportunity.

BTW, my kids have gone and seen a horse autopsied as well as part of a educational experience. A horse that was put down, and the students given the opportunity to learn in ways they otherwise would not have. Same thing here... I think the issue is again Scandinavians being very blunt and direct... which others can't seem to stomach when the topic doesn't conform to their ideals.

I have no idea if you truly believe this ... but I don't view what happened as a medical exercise. Imagine if SW (or Disney, for that matter) engaged in such an 'exercise' ... I won't label all Scandinavians as being evil nuts over this. I will say that applies to the folks who run this zoo. Insanity.

PhotoDave219

Well, a silenced one now. But it gives certain lifestylers the gumption to preach media ethics to their fellow bloggers. Oh, the irony....

That's my purview.

i don't have a problem with Banks leaking that out… Because that's how the game is played. But I have a problem with is him selling his source out… Which got screen caps… Which is made it to my inbox.

You don't sell your source out in a case like this… Because you do not wanted to get back to Disney Who your source is.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I did not know about MW, in fact, I did not know about Pan Am either till I went to work in Northern Maine. There was a map on the wall of our rail routes. Right on the map was the Pan Am logo. Go figure.

You had never heard about Pan Am before?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom