The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

lazyboy97o

The story is on Wikipedia so it must be true;). The [3] footnote references a book called the "E" ticket. Man, there is no shortage of books about Disney parks.

The idea for Splash Mountain was originally conceived in the summer of 1983 by Imagineer Tony Baxter while stuck in rush hour traffic on his way to work. He wanted to attract guests to the often-empty Bear Country land and make use of the Audio-Animatronics fromAmerica Sings, which was also receiving poor attendance. It was Dick Nunis who insisted that the Imagineers create a log flume for Disneyland, but the Imagineers were initially unenthusiastic about it, insisting that log flumes were too ordinary a theme park attraction to include in a park like Disneyland. While trying to solve the problems of including a log flume, bringing people into Bear Country and reusing the America Sings characters, Baxter then thought of Song of the South.

At the time it was built, Splash Mountain was one of the most expensive projects created by Walt Disney Imagineering at a cost of $75 million. According to Alice Davis (wife of the late Marc Davis), when America Sings closed in April 1988, production of Disneyland's Splash Mountain had gone far over budget. The only way to recover was to close down America Sings and use the characters from that attraction.[2]

Baxter and his team developed the concept of Zip-a-Dee River Run, which would incorporate scenes from Song of the South. The name was later changed to Splash Mountain after then-CEO Michael Eisner's mostly-ignored suggestion that the attraction be used to help market the film Splash.[3] The characters from America Sings were used in many scenes, though all of the main characters were specifically designed for Splash Mountain.
The "E" Ticket was a highly regarded Disneyland fan magazine. The final Summer 2009 issue focused on The Indiana Jones Adventure and comes two years after Surrell briefly tells the tale in The Disney Mountains. But there is no explanation for why Eisner would want to bolster the success of the team he just replaced or how there is any real connection. In 1984 Song of the South was not yet an obscure film, having been most recently rereleased in 1980.

WDW1974

Original Poster
While Jason Surrell recounts the tale in The Disney Mountains, I too still think it is bull****. At best a joke made after the ride was renamed.

Jason Surrell, who someone told me was selling stuff at Theme Park Connection (yes, where the Amity Corless Brigade works!), today says lots of things. I have very little use for him as a member of our species, but to your point, I have heard the story too. But I don't believe it. It is always eighth-handed info passed down from folks with agendas.

The bottom line is Splash Mountain was a project that wasn't ever going to happen until Michael took (I believe) Breck to WDI one Saturday early in his tenure. The Imagineers there were trying to sell him on all sorts of projects for the parks, but the kid spied the model in the back and the rest is history and three great rides (in Anaheim, O-Town and Tokyo).

lazyboy97o

You should all read Disney War by James b. Stewart and true life adventures at walt disney world b David Koeing (both are probably available at your local library) if you want to learn the real truth about Michael Eisner rather than listen to wdw1974 attempt to rewrite history. Fox News style.
If you're going to play the pretentious angle at least get the titles correct: DisneyWar and Realityland. I also have Married to the Mouse and Keys to the Kingdom in my library.

the.dreamfinder

The bottom line is Splash Mountain was a project that wasn't ever going to happen until Michael took (I believe) Breck to WDI one Saturday early in his tenure. The Imagineers there were trying to sell him on all sorts of projects for the parks, but the kid spied the model in the back and the rest is history and three great rides (in Anaheim, O-Town and Tokyo).
Hong Kong could really use a flume ride.
delaney_piratesdrop.jpg

Nevermind...

WDW1974

Original Poster
You should all read DisneyWar by James b. Stewart and Realityland: true life adventures at walt disney world b David Koeing (both are probably available at your local library) if you want to learn the real truth about Michael Eisner rather than listen to wdw1974 attempt to rewrite history. Fox News style.

You are entertaining, Neo ... in a sorta fanboi goes cray-cray way. Both books are worth a read, more the former than the latter. And I am not trying to rewrite anything. I am trying to put some things in perspective with some facts, some opinions and lots of first hand knowledge that I know others here don't have.

Comparing me to an organization I despise for spinning lies to the ignorant masses is a low blow.

Why not come back with facts ... and, again, facts and opinions are two very different things.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
The "E" Ticket was a highly regarded Disneyland fan magazine. The final Summer 2009 issue focused on The Indiana Jones Adventure and comes two years after Surrell briefly tells the tale in The Disney Mountains. But there is no explanation for why Eisner would want to bolster the success of the team he just replaced or how there is any real connection. In 1984 Song of the South was not yet an obscure film, having been most recently rereleased in 1980.

Yes, it's BS. Plain and simple.

Now, the plans for a Splash-themed water park basically where WWoS sits was tossed about after Michael and Frank came to Disney. I think they even had a story in the O-Town Sentinel about it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hong Kong could really use a flume ride.
delaney_piratesdrop.jpg

Nevermind...

You know, I am somehow missing posts here ... I wanted to comment earlier on HKDL's second gate and the whole TDS story, how Disney tried and tried to sell OLC on a Studios park but they wanted no part of that.

And how I fear the second gate for HKDL will wind up being one with the conceit being that HK has a large and thriving film making sector.

Of course, I also think I neglected a few posts about my new guest retreat in the Hills, which is nearing completion ... right @Lee ? And please tell me that you won't be renting out my quarters to UK tourists like @marni1971 when I am off seeing the world?

PhotoDave219

You are entertaining, Neo ... in a sorta fanboi goes cra-cra way. Both books are worth a read, more the former than the latter. And I am not trying to rewrite anything. I am trying to put some things in perspective with some facts, some opinions and lots of first hand knowledge that I know others here don't have.

Comparing me to an organization I despise for spinning lies to the ignorant masses is a low blow.

Why not come back with facts ... and, again, facts and opinions are two very different things.

I found Disneywar to be more of an explainer as to how Michael's management culture that he instilled has led us to where we are today. That seemed to come about when Frank Wells died. That culture permeates through the executives with the company and its poison. Its ruthless. Its kill or be killed. And the only way to fix it is to clean house.... which wont happen.

Cesar R M

That was Iger's message to people who aren't buying into his 2.5+ billion dollar ****up. Sadly that's not even a joke at this point because that's exactly what happened...
Hang on, he really used the same words?

It's on the Internet. It must be true. Wikipedia never lies;)
HAH! good joke!

Reminds me of the joke about screaming "THEY TIED THIS MAN TO THE CEILING!" and instead of looking up to see if there was a man tied to the ceiling.. they just started to pass the word..
some people can be really gullible.
You are entertaining, Neo ... in a sorta fanboi goes cra-cra way. Both books are worth a read, more the former than the latter. And I am not trying to rewrite anything. I am trying to put some things in perspective with some facts, some opinions and lots of first hand knowledge that I know others here don't have.

Agree that it was a lowblow there by comparing you to Foxnews!

Anyway, there is hardly much I can say because I honestly do not have much experience about disney other than being a casual consumer of their products.
After all, I had my first trip ever to WDW last year.. and hopefully a Cruise this year.

StageFrenzy

You know, I am somehow missing posts here ... I wanted to comment earlier on HKDL's second gate and the whole TDS story, how Disney tried and tried to sell OLC on a Studios park but they wanted no part of that.

And how I fear the second gate for HKDL will wind up being one with the conceit being that HK has a large and thriving film making sector.

Of course, I also think I neglected a few posts about my new guest retreat in the Hills, which is nearing completion ... right @Lee ? And please tell me that you won't be renting out my quarters to UK tourists like @marni1971 when I am off seeing the world?

Why does every second gate need to have a hollywood connection? I get it movies are magic, but time after time the studio parks seem to lack it.

What is the cultural attitude of HK to water rides?

comics101

I didn't agree with many things that happened at WDW during Michael's latter years in charge, but things did happen.

On Disney VHS tapes there was an intro before the previews in which an announcer would declare, "There's always something new and exciting coming from Disney!" as an instrumental When You Wish Upon a Star played in the background. As a kid, I remember hearing that, thinking to myself, "You know, that's actually kinda true," then using it as an argument for why the family should go back to WDW. Considering I'm now a 21 year old college student who's wasting time telling this story on a WDW forum instead of doing homework, it's probably safe for everyone to assume that I didn't actually have to make that argument, my parents thought it was true as well, and because of that I've been to WDW way too many times for my own good (yeah, I was kind of born snorting pixie dust...)

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make though is that, that wasn't just some cheap marketing slogan, it absolutely was 100% true! Growing up, if there was one thing I could count on it was that something of significance was going to be happening at WDW, and that I wanted to be there for it. And it wasn't just that a new ride was going to be opening that year, there was going to be a massive event surrounding that attraction! Whether it was the 25th Anniversary, or the Millennium Celebration, or 100 Years of Magic, something epic was going on at WDW, and Disney made sure there was going to be a corny and poorly acted commercial (along with a cheesy, full-of-fluff theme song) to let you know you were invited.
I know some of the ugliest, "temporary" structures ever created on God's green earth came from those celebrations, but boy do I miss those days.

That's the Disney I remember from the Eisner Era, and that's the Disney I fell in love with. With perspective and the internet, I definitely agree lots of mistakes were made and attractions replaced that maybe shouldn't have been, but regardless, it was pure magic.

EDIT: I suppose I grew up in the disappointing 1994-2004 period that '74 mentioned on a previous page, but even so, compared to what exists today there is definitely a difference. Honestly, just within the last 5 years I've been able to see a drop in quality.

Last edited:

Lee

Adventurer
As you of course know, when domestic attendance numbers are down we have to rely on our international guests to keep our rooms filled.

Now, I have to get back to work concocting some sort of gimmicky dining plan...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Why does every second gate need to have a hollywood connection? I get it movies are magic, but time after time the studio parks seem to lack it.

What is the cultural attitude of HK to water rides?

They are easy to create ... even highly themed ones (like the original concept for The Disney-MGM Studios Europe) will come in hundreds of millions less than almost anything else you can think of.

As to HK and water rides, they have a log flume at Ocean Park ... think that is the only one. But I don't think there is any reason why a quality one wouldn't be hugely popular (especially in the miserably hot summer!)

LATE NIGHT EDIT: Apparently, I am a hot read in HK as someone who resides there just sent a note to tell me that there are two water rides, one is a Kali River-like raft ride. I believe it opened since my last visit.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
As you of course know, when domestic attendance numbers are down we have to rely on our international guests to keep our rooms filled.

Now, I have to get back to work concocting some sort of gimmicky dining plan...

Yes, the UKers will so fall for it. You need to come up with a kewl name for it!

BTW, just found out that I have a connection to the Wolf of Wall Street film ... you'll find it highly amusing and typical ... the rest of the group will have to feel like the kids who never got picked in gym class, sorry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom