The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Why do people continue to go to WDW in larger numbers. Service is down and costs are way up.

We have been going to WDW since the early 90's. Last August we had a trip that was the worst one ever. It was so bad that we cancelled our Dec trip to WDW and went to DL instead. We have a May trip planned to WDW. If this trip isn't a lot better than the August trip, it will be our last trip.

I am sure that hordes of people will fill in our gap. Hopefully they will buy our DVC points for a nice premium. The only way to impact Disney is with $$$$.

If I keep my magic band in a metal box while at the parks, will it prevent the data mining?

If you want to be 100% sure use these guys http://www.ramayes.com they make forensic isolation bags for electronic devices. If 99.999 is good enough an Altoids tin works very well.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Disneyland isn't in the best of shape these days either...
Just spent 6 days at DLR....I agree...The curse of Colglazier has attached itself to Disneyland. Each day I was there featured multi attraction downtimes. At one point, Pirates, Splash, Space, and DLRR were down at the same time. Another day Space, Indy, Mansion and Matterhorn were down. BTMRR was open for AP-ers and DVC members, but was constantly going down. Even the Mark Twain had to bypass passengers while mechanics jumped on board to correct whatever was causing it to limp along. (All the attractions listed above were down multiple times during my stay.) Fantasmic had major issues one night, including Mickey's fingers misfiring (leading to a restart of the show) and later, Maleficent stuck in her pit. Throughout the week, I heard many, many guests complaining about broken down attractions. Adding to the capacity pressure was that the Subs, Alice and Small World were down for refurbs (and Indy going down on Monday). Have maintenance budgets been cut, causing the attraction downtimes? Was that the MO of Colglazier at DAK? From my point of view, I'd guess so. Also noticed more than a few CM issues. While I usually find WDW CM's in a Disney haze, I found many DL CM's to be very curt when addressing guests. It seemed that all their patience was gone. I also noticed that while ALL Main Street transportation options were in operation daily (of which I highly approve), the operators seem to take pleasure in "almost" colliding with guests walking in the street. Especially the older gents driving the jitney and fire engine. I chuckled each time a guest would jump out of the way at the last second. I fear an accident in the future might cause some of these options to disappear if more caution isn't used in their operation. Finally, I noticed how long the grass was. Disney (both DL and WDW) always had well manicured lawns, but I noticed that DL's lawns were way past due for mowing. The most startling was at the entrance to the park in front of the train station. The blades of grass were so long, that they were actually bending over. Maybe the landscapers are just too busy repairing the damage to the flowers by the hundreds of ducks that seem to enjoy plowing through-and sleeping in-the planters.

I had a great time, but was generally surprised to find these issues (and many more) at DL.

Turtle

MM+ is complicated. I just finished half an hour to properly buy a ticket and link it to my hotel.

I'm excited cause its really cool and all but not billion-dollar cool

71jason

I think the food is way better at F&W, IMO...

I can't remember the last thing at F&W that really wowed me. I can name at least four things this year at F&G I would consider "must-dos." In any case, they still sell booze, too, but I don't the Drunky Town (tm) crowds materializing for it. It's all about coasting on reputation.

bhg469

Right now, there is no need for WDW to lower theme park ticket prices. Guests are paying them. However, there's something to be said for slowing down the rate of the increases before WDW falls off a cliff. (Price increases are rather like credit card spending. It seems like a good idea at the time but there are long-term consequences if not kept under control. It takes discipline not to abuse.)

The real problem is associated with the hotels, specifically, the combined cost of tickets plus the higher priced room categories. (Not all categories; there's always a "money is no object" crowd.)

There are several potential strategies to address WDW's Deluxe and (to a lesser extent) Moderate Resort occupancy problem:
  1. Lower rack rates - Never popular and it's doubtful the right price point could be found to offset lost revenue from those already paying current prices.
  2. Offer discount theme park tickets with Deluxe and (maybe) Moderate Resort hotel stays - This is something WDW used to do. The nice thing is that unlike "Free Dining", there's little cost associated with this and, unlike "Room Only" discounts, discounted tickets helps assure these guests are in the theme parks spending money rather than visiting elsewhere in Orlando. Maybe offer ticket discounts based on resort level.
  3. Drive more value into the hotels - For example, use MyMagic+ to offer more/better FastPass+ selections, limit Extra Magic Hours to Deluxe and Moderate Resort guests, etc.
  4. Advertise to an audience able to afford WDW's Deluxe Resorts - This is something WDW used to do regularly. However, with the exception of the Food & Wine Festival and the Flower & Garden Festival, WDW has kiddified its product so much that WDW has lost much of the appeal it once had to adult couples or families with older children, market segments better able to afford expensive hotels. WDW would need to change its current public image to be more inline with what it was like in the 1990s when it was trendy for adults to go to WDW without children, or earlier times when WDW was more attractive to teenagers.
  5. Stop building DVC - These already are boomeranging on the Deluxe Resorts.
  6. Invest billions in the parks to attract a high-end clientele - Yeah, right, like that's ever going to happen.
As usual you're totally correct especially on #2!! I have always wondered why they don't do this, its a no brainer. I think its a touch late for this to fix things as I am not spending more than 2 days at wdw in the future until a significant project is built and is actually impressive.

NomeKing88

...Have maintenance budgets been cut, causing the attraction downtimes? Was that the MO of Colglazier at DAK? From my point of view, I'd guess so. Also noticed more than a few CM issues. While I usually find WDW CM's in a Disney haze, I found many DL CM's to be very curt when addressing guests. It seemed that all their patience was gone. I also noticed that while ALL Main Street transportation options were in operation daily (of which I highly approve), the operators seem to take pleasure in "almost" colliding with guests walking in the street. Especially the older gents driving the jitney and fire engine. I chuckled each time a guest would jump out of the way at the last second. I fear an accident in the future might cause some of these options to disappear if more caution isn't used in their operation...

I had a great time, but was generally surprised to find these issues (and many more) at DL.

1) After going through a busy Summer, Fall, and Winter season, I'm sure the attractions are in dire need of repair. Didn't DL use to close for a week or two to repair everything? Also, the refurb schedule is jam packed right now because Disneyland's 60th Anniversary is next year. They want everything operating smoothly throughout that heavily promoted event. So this Spring and this Fall, we are probably going to see a lot of refurbs.

2) DL CM's are overworked and underpaid like any other min wage worker. Leave them to deal with the stupid masses without paying them appropriately and you're going to get curt responses. Just listen to them, smile and nod. As for WDW cast members … it's Florida …

3) OMG! The "almost collisions!" Once, I saw this stereotypical trashy LA mom (wearing a pink "juicy" sweat suit I may add. Hello style from 2006) walking right down the middle of main street, talking on her phone, pushing a massive double wide stroller with another mom and her kids. The Jitney driver was honking to warn guests to move out of the way, as they do. The mom was too busy talking on the phone so the driver slowed and honked again. She turned around and screamed at him "I'm walking here! God! Really!?" She got out of the way and continued talking on the phone. The poor old driver man continued on with a smile. I wanted to cuss her out…but ya know, she had four or five kids surrounding her … and we were in DL. And I ain't no trayish!

WDW1974

Original Poster
For those of you who may have wondered about this company, this story may give some insight into who Disney is in business with. As to the whys, well, I can't help you with that. Where would the fun be in that?

http://forbesindia.com/article/100-...-a-ciafunded-data-miner/36101/0#ixzz2gNYiwUoL

BTW, the company (someone I trust has told me) uses a scenario of evildoers blowing up the MK in parts of their sales pitch ... again ... you jump to your own conclusions as to what this has to do with NGE and MM+ ... BTW, I played around with it. So cool to book rides on Soarin from the sofa. What a revolution to the theme park industry.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
To the MAGICal pal I talked to tonight, it was great catching up a bit and discussing some of the fun stuff we do here.

And congrats again on the new family addition, now send me some cute puppy pics!!! :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
For my Walker pals ... and DD has told me how @Lee looks when he comes home from work ... a great column by someone I generally don't agree with on The Walking Dead and Sunday's stellar outing:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/-machine/walking-dead-deserves-more-respect-689121

jlsHouston

So far FP+ has really increased the standby times of secondary attractions. Yesterday for example there were times the Jungle Cruise had the longest wait in MK. So sure you get your FP for Space, Splash, and Big Thunder then wait in standby for 45 minutes plus for JC, HM and Pirates.

I kind of saw this too second week in March for our spring break trip. Not so much before noon in the parks, like @Scuttle is reporting but definitely after lunch, those stand by times were up there and 45 was what was posted but looked more like 60 minutes to me.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Folks who are getting excited about Mark Hamill appearing in June at SWW (and it is true,Crazy Gary Buchanan was seen flying WITHOUT a dragon over the Pop Century resort tonight!) please use this as confirmation that the original trio has been signed, sealed and paid off by Disney to appear in Episode The Freaking New JJ Abrams Star Wars flick (most of which takes place in a nursing home on Naboo!)

They won't have Carrie Fisher again ... she has a nasty tendency to use words beginning with the letter 'c' in front of children and Heartlanders.

And Harrison Ford wouldn't show up if Disney offered him an extra $20 million. He's a star ... a real bigtime Hollywood star. But Mark Hamill ... well, he went from playing Nurse Jesse's nephew on GH to world-wide fame ... back to ... well, prominent voiceover work. You can be sure that Disney demanded this appearance in his film contract and they will market it to the hilt knowing that Diagon Alley may just be having its media debut that same week.

Now, if they really wanted to steal some UNI thunder, they would have had the entire cast at WDW the same weekend and they'd announce the Star Wars expansion ... but hey, just because I KNOW and GET media and how you take attention away from a competitor in a real way, doesn't mean they have a clue. And that's what makes following them so damn amusing.

Last edited:

Robin Of Loxley

Yes, I said Fun With Tweets was done, but this really is special.
It takes a lot to have me ROTFLMFAO but this did. Should I get tees and pins made up saying Spirited Disney Menace to Society? Who would buy one?

Philip Kippel ‏@kippelphilip223 Mar 17
@DarthDopey @hintofspy Anyone who's a friend of WDW1974 is an enemy of mine! That guy is a menace to society! :mad:
Isn't it considered more of an insult to be on Kippel's GOOD side? :confused:

WDW1974

Original Poster
My good pal and favorite Lifestyler (really!) @WDWFigment has an excellent guide to TDR for first time guests on his blog (I won't link it because I don't know the rules here on other Disney blogs, although I think it is cool).

Anyone thinking about a trip should forget about books, read his site and ask questions (here and there).

Now, I totally disagree with his column/blog post on convincing people predisposed to not liking Disney vacations into 'convincing' them to go.

Have I mentioned how I miss TDR so much that it hurts? Or how much I am looking to return late this year? OK, I just did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom