The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Purely on a point of order, its not unheard of people who were in financial division progressing up the corporate ladder and you can end up with the make up of a board slanted to that sort of group think and dynamic. I've seen it happen, the condescension that operations people can be viewed with is quite staggering. Especially dirty engineer types.

Seen it happen far too many times and when it happens one runs for the exits because disaster is soon to follow.

asianway

Interesting article, not at all related to Disney on its face, yet the perfect rebuttal to the Pixie Dusters who say "it's not that bad"...

http://www.thestreet.com/story/1253...sears-look-classy.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

Key quote: "You can't walk more than a few feet without seeing something that should cause heads to roll, not necessarily at the local employee level, but among corporate executives. They set the tone. It all goes back to some variation of the broken windows theory. Cultures do not become toxic out of the blue. There's most always a trigger that permits the degradation to occur. And that starts at the top." Be it dead animatronics, or snack bars running out of chips, or dirty monorails, or one hundred other things pointed out on these boards--this is the ultimate issue.
You need to tweet/email this guy. I'm sure he would love to rip Disney apart

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You need to tweet/email this guy. I'm sure he would love to rip Disney apart

This is the ultimate result of a toxic management culture focused on the bottom line at all costs, I remember WalMart in the Sam Walton days. The stores were no frills but clean and orderly and the staff helpful and the stuff was in large part made in the US.

Now the stores are filthy, staffed by sullen employees who are frequently forced to work 'off the clock'. One of the filthiest WalMart's I've ever seen is the one in Milpitas in the McCarthy Ranch complex.

The parking lot has garbage blowing through it and the store's floor looks like it has not been washed in a decade.

Sound like a location in Orlando that we all know and love to a lesser extent, WDW is obviously better cared for but there is a parallel between WalMart in the Sam Walton Days and WDW in the Eisner + Nine Old Men days.

Interestingly enough BOTH WDW and WalMart were MORE profitable then, in both cases absolute revenues were smaller yet investors realized a better return on every dollar invested.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Another problem with this efficiency is lack of response when there is a problem.

I have read quite a few negative reviews at resorts, and many seem to include rooms that are incredibly dusty, as if they haven't been used in a long time.

Well, if management has to make a last minute room change, it's probably into a block of rooms that haven't been used in . . . ?

How can you respond to customer dissatisfaction effectively if you aren't maintaining the space that you have?

This is PROBABLY what happened at DW's last visit to SSR, First room assigned was filthy mold on carpet + dirty windows - so this was probably a room held 'out of service' and had not been cleaned in quite some time.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Yep the red and orange ones this time...

They'll probly have to save the colored strobes for 7DMT when something fails on that and Im sure TDO didnt allocate enough in the budget for extra strobes, so for the FoF dragon they can just announce on the loudspeaker that your supposed to "imagine" it is breathing fire.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They'll probly have to save the colored strobes for 7DMT when something fails on that and Im sure TDO didnt allocate enough in the budget for extra strobes, so for the FoF dragon they can just announce on the loudspeaker that your supposed to "imagine" it is breathing fire.

Wow - I'm told I'm the Negative Nelly on the board but y'all have me beat!

ParentsOf4

7 Dwarfs Mine Train is actually going to open? Are you sure?
Hey, don't badmouth Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (SDMT).

SDMT will be very nice for its target demographic.

Just ask yourself what has Disney done with the rest of the Fantasyland expansion and you'll know its target demographic. ;)

Considering what they've done to it, I'm not sure the "New" Fantasyland has enough space for stroller parking.

It might be time for the Magic Kingdom to open a new land: "Stroller Parking Land". :D

Computer Magic

Just ask yourself what has Disney done with the rest of the Fantasyland expansion and you'll know its target demographic. ;)

Considering what they've done to it, I'm not sure the "New" Fantasyland has enough space for stroller parking.

It might be time for the Magic Kingdom to open a new land: "Stroller Parking Land". :D
Being through FL I come to the conclusion WDW has become KiddieWorld. Even when KW (KiddieWorld) does spend money it doesn't target my demographic. I see why I don't target a return trip until 2018.

jt04

Each stroller at the MK is one less at EC/DHS/DAK.

ParentsOf4

Being through FL I come to the conclusion WDW has become KiddieWorld. Even when KW (KiddieWorld) does spend money it doesn't target my demographic. I see why I don't target a return trip until 2018.
WDW clearly is targeting what I call "The Easy To Please" crowd. Why try to excel at what you do when it's cheaper to target a less sophisticated demographic who will appreciate a dumbed-down version of the product?

WDW has decided to value engineer its way to improved margins.

"Best-in-class" has become "good enough".

I really do miss the old WDW.

cheezbat

And that is EXACTLY how I feel. Yes I love thrill rides, but I don't need every ride to be a thrill. Sometimes I'm looking for a good boat ride, or water ride, or dark ride.

All we've gotten in the last 8 years at WDW have been rides aimed at kids.

What happened to the Pirates? The Big Thunders? The Spaceship Earths?

Nope. We only get short Mermaids and Toy Story screen shooters and character meet and greets.

jt04

WDW clearly is targeting what I call "The Easy To Please" crowd. Why try to excel at what you do when it's cheaper to target a less sophisticated demographic who will appreciate a dumbed-down version of the product?

WDW has decided to value engineer its way to improved margins.

I really do miss the old WDW.

I think anyone who experienced the old WDW misses it. It is an age old lament that can be applied to many experiences. At least you have your memories. Most have no idea what was there. And there is no way they could have preserved that. All in all, I am not sure they could have built out much better. And there are many good projects underway.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

I love when you show those tiny slivers of your "doom and gloom" side. It brings balance to the universe. Please feel free to play my game in the General Dsicusion forum, would love to hear your answers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom