The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I want to say this segment was originally for Princess Aurora? It was re-purposed for Frozen. I am pretty sure they retrofitted the float to get something Frozen in there. God forbid they actually add another float.

Yes, Frozen was a last minute change order. But Dear Lord it is Disney, even on the fly they should do much better for the 3pm parade.

Cody5242

Santino Fotana (the voice of Hans) said a Frozen ride is coming to Disneyland. What do you have to say about this statement @WDW1974 ? Was he misinformed? I know you said a Frozen ride was pitched for Epcot, so could he be referring to that?

WDWFigment

I never saw the item when I was there, but that was three years ago now. I surely would have tried it, had I.
I am very curious as to how much @WDWFigment spent on snacks while at TDR!!! I am sure he easily put up Faux Top One Percent numbers!:)

I was curious, too, until I started adding up a day's worth of snacks and stopped because the number was a little scary. Suffice to say, I'm sure the total number is "a lot." What can I say, my wife and I could be competitive eaters!

The funny thing is that dining at Tokyo Disney Resort doesn't have to be expensive. Table service restaurants are generally much cheaper (in the parks, not the hotels). If you take quality into account, counter service is arguably cheaper, too.

As for not seeing any Americans while in TDR...is that such a bad thing? I'd much, much rather be surrounded by Japanese guests than American guests.

wogwog

Just wanted to chime in, as just for fun today I priced the difference in rooms between Cabana Bay and Art of Animation Family Suites. (Cabana Bay is also a family suite quote with a kitchenette, etc.). Week following Easter, Monday thru Thursday. Cabana Bay is $209 per night plus tax; AoA is $320 per night (discounted from $377) plus tax. 4 nights premium is $444 (or $672 without the AoA springtime promo discount). Seems like I could go stay at Cabana Bay and get my tickets to Universal for less than it would cost to just stay at AoA. Craziness. I can foresee a time when we return to the area for vacation and stay at Cabana Bay and just travel to WDW for a day or two (at most).

In the past, I've traveled many times to the Orlando area, and with little exception have enjoyed staying on WDW property. Going forward, it'll have to be one heck of a discount to get me near the place, if ever again on property.
Another plus is the time to get from a UNI hotel to the park is nothing compared to WDW.

wogwog

I was curious, too, until I started adding up a day's worth of snacks and stopped because the number was a little scary. Suffice to say, I'm sure the total number is "a lot." What can I say, my wife and I could be competitive eaters!

The funny thing is that dining at Tokyo Disney Resort doesn't have to be expensive. Table service restaurants are generally much cheaper (in the parks, not the hotels). If you take quality into account, counter service is arguably cheaper, too.

As for not seeing any Americans while in TDR...is that such a bad thing? I'd much, much rather be surrounded by Japanese guests than American guests.
Yes. I find Tokyo and Hong Kong much more pleasurable. Even with the crowds, Tokyo visitors are more polite to others than we are to each other. They also dress nicer. I wear only long trousers and a shirt with a collar and I am not over dressed there.

Computer Magic

I still wonder what is their excuse for removing the boat rentals?
are they gonna add so many boat transfers between resorts that will make the private ones moth?
the resorts are hurting so bad for customers that noone rents them? (and instead of lowering prices of the resorts.. they just decide to cut the boat rentals?)
Are they trying to force people into the parks? I see they haven't touched the Deluxe resorts at this time. I just think the resort is going to look empty.

TinkerBelle8878

At WDW, the problem isn't getting guests into Value Resorts. WDW's Value Resorts are crowded. The badly mispriced "value" Family Suites aside, AOA was built because WDW needed it.

Disney's problem is getting guests to pay for WDW's grossly overpriced Deluxe and Moderate Resorts.

DVC is not the answer. In fact, it's one of WDW's long-term financial problems. (But that's for another post.)

The solution to WDW's hotel woes are in the theme parks.

WDW's Deluxe and Moderate Resorts were crowded when the theme parks were exciting and dynamic. They were crowded when those with discriminating tastes and the financial means to be selective with their vacation choices picked WDW because it was the best place to vacation. This is not a "WDW vs. Universal" debate. This is a WDW vs. Hawaii, Atlantis, or Europe debate.

WDW's staleness and reduced quality has not gone unnoticed among a discerning, trendy, jet-set crowd. WDW's status has plummeted among the country club elite.

We love WDW (and hate what's happening to it) because we remember happier times spent over years and even decades. We are devoted to WDW, good or bad.

However, most WDW vacationers don't feel that way. For them, WDW is just that, a vacation.

Among the Honey Boo Boo crowd, a stay in a Value Resort or even offsite is the best vacation they can afford. WDW is attracting them. WDW's theme parks are crowded.

However, as a premium vacation, WDW no longer is the sparking example it once was. WDW no longer is as competitive among big spenders. In the battle for the vacation dollars of the nation's top earners, WDW is losing.

@WDW1974 has written it many times but it's worth repeating. Corporate Disney has Wal-Marted WDW.

I completely agree. I was merely saying that if Uni's 'value' resorts which I think have alot more going for them than WDW's stay at a lower price point consistently, then will the prices of those ever come down. What I mentioned with the tickets was more for comparison that they all follow that but I doubt any of them will follow when something is lower priced for more perks like the Uni rooms.

They sound more like what the Mods were originally supposed to be back when Caribbean Beach was built. A lower priced alternative to the big 3. But the problem I think may really lie in that all those Mod rooms (at least almost all) only hold 4 people. Family's sometimes have 5 people. So CB wasn't an option and we had to stay at Poly or Contemporary. Or Yacht and Beach when that opened. The prices though weren't so vastly different where a value set of suites is needed. If the prices came down on the Deluxes' to what they should be now, they'd have no problem filling them with people who probably do not want to stay in a Value resort.

Then again that is depending on them actually building more than bathrooms and a tracking system.

stlphil

Sorry if this was mentioned, but more dumping on the finer things at Disney. Even you don't rent the watercrafts, it always fun to watch the traffic on the water....These resorts are going to look like a ghost town with all the watercrafts removed.

Port Orleans Riverside was ending boat rentals - that includes pontoon boats and Sea Raycers. In addition, Old Key West and all other moderate resorts have ended the marina boat rentals as well (fishing, biking, and Pirate Cruises will continue).
So much for WDW being the "vacation kingdom of the world". Even the resorts now are less resort-y.

Gabe1

I still wonder what is their excuse for removing the boat rentals?
are they gonna add so many boat transfers between resorts that will make the private ones moth?
the resorts are hurting so bad for customers that noone rents them? (and instead of lowering prices of the resorts.. they just decide to cut the boat rentals?)

From what I am being told the closing of the marinas at these resorts is a causality risk decision. The rivers feed into Downtown Disney. The lake is a mess with heavy machinery and construction materials in the lake. The ferries can continue for now by changing docks as they are operated by Cast Members. The rivers are low wake areas, it is the lake where the guests could really open up some of the raycers. CM & Management at the resorts are hoping the business of boat rentals will return when the waters calm after the completion of the water construction of Disney Springs. Time will tell.

PhotoDave219

I saw this photo on All Ears today. I can't figure out how it blends with the rest of the floats or the entertainers on the ground. I look at the Princesses and it maybe the camera angle or the light but they don't have that 'young' princess look to them.

5_7_1275.jpg

AllEars.net

They look different in my photos

Gabe1

Just wanted to chime in, as just for fun today I priced the difference in rooms between Cabana Bay and Art of Animation Family Suites. (Cabana Bay is also a family suite quote with a kitchenette, etc.). Week following Easter, Monday thru Thursday. Cabana Bay is $209 per night plus tax; AoA is $320 per night (discounted from $377) plus tax. 4 nights premium is $444 (or $672 without the AoA springtime promo discount). Seems like I could go stay at Cabana Bay and get my tickets to Universal for less than it would cost to just stay at AoA. Craziness. I can foresee a time when we return to the area for vacation and stay at Cabana Bay and just travel to WDW for a day or two (at most).

In the past, I've traveled many times to the Orlando area, and with little exception have enjoyed staying on WDW property. Going forward, it'll have to be one heck of a discount to get me near the place, if ever again on property.

With the exception of Portofino, Uni's resorts have always been more (price) palatable but boy I love staying in that resort a few days of our trips then heading to WDW where we stay at POR most times. As of now you can still pool hop to the other resorts which adds some nice, free variation. It took about 5 minutes or a quick walk to the Hard Rock. It is great system Uni has with the boats to a hub of 2 parks and City Walk. It never took us more than 10 minutes max from Portofino to City with a stop at Hard Rock. The boats load quickly. Right now the early entry to the Potter attraction is a bonus along with the front of the line perks.

It made staying on property at Uni a must for us in the past. The bathrooms in Cabana's suites are masterfully imagineered for sharing. The two rooms are great with 2 queen beds and if necessary a sofa bead. No converting chairs or turning your table into a bed. The furniture is not cutsie, but designed for relaxation and comfort. I favor that. The Standard rooms are basically the floor plan for Animal Kingdom Lodge Standard rooms even the bathrooms and entry set up the same way.

cabana-bay-beach-resort-family-suite.jpg
cabana-bay-beach-resort-standard-room.jpg

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
With the exception of Portofino, Uni's resorts have always been more palatable but boy I love staying in that resort a few days of our trips then heading to WDW where we stay at POR most times. As of now you can still pool hop to the other resorts which adds some nice, free variation. It took about 5 minutes or a quick walk to the Hard Rock. It is great system Uni has with the boats to a hub of 2 parks and City Walk. It never took us more than 10 minutes max from Portofino to City with a stop at Hard Rock. The boats load quickly. Right now the early entry to the Potter attraction is a bonus along with the front of the line perks.

It made staying on property at Uni a must for us in the past. The bathrooms in Cabana's suites are masterfully imagineered for sharing. The two rooms are great with 2 queen beds and if necessary a sofa bead. No converting chairs or turning your table into a bed. The furniture is not cutsie, but designed for relaxation and comfort. I favor that. The Standard rooms are basically the floor plan for Animal Kingdom Lodge Standard rooms even the bathrooms and entry set up the same way.

cabana-bay-beach-resort-family-suite.jpg
cabana-bay-beach-resort-standard-room.jpg
My family and I were just looking at Cabana resort.

We were amazed at the price difference between the moderate/value resort and Uni's version of these resorts..

Disney has truly priced the middle class out of staying in a deluxe resort. Currently the discounted price for Beach Club (the resort we usually stay at) is $452 per night for a standard double during August. It used to be around the $300-$350 level, and even that is excessive.

Then we thought, how about a moderate Disney resort? Hmm...let's see, Uni is opening up a new resort, let's check out their prices. We figured, it's new, it'll probably be in the $200-$300 range. Actually it's $150 a night. We were impressed. We figured with the amount we are saving, why not just get the express pass at Uni, and get "fastpasses" for all rides. That to us sounded like a 10x better deal than reserving a FP (max of 3 per day) in WDW.

We have to do some more research into it, but looking into it, the better value for the greater enjoyment seems to be at Uni these days. Not a Uni fanboy speaking, just a reality fanboy.

Gabe1

So you like staying at Portofino or you don't?

I love the Portofino. It is fun by day and beyond charming at night. Photo's do not do justice to the place at night.
Both pools in the evening are amazing too. I liked Hard Rock but like Disney Values they are a tad on the noisy side.
Royals lobby and pool are also great. These are Loews resorts, they take pride in their facilities and amenities. The one thing that took me off guard at the Portifino was the price of food, expensive. We wound up doing quick grabs from the store near the boat launch, had snacks and beverages including adult beverages. We tended to take that stuff to the pool area.

We learned to take the time and go off to City Walk for meals when we were not in the parks. City Walks sit downs were even cheaper than Portofino's than restaurants. That was the only pit fall. But a boat ride to City was just 10 minutes. It takes me that long to walk to the Food Court at Port Orleans Riverside so no biggy. That is one of the reasons I love Uni, it isn't 43 square miles and going back and forth to your resort is easy yet the resorts are completely set away from the parks.

StageFrenzy

I love the Portofino. It is fun by day and beyond charming at night. Photo's do not do justice to the place at night.
Both pools in the evening are amazing too. I liked Hard Rock but like Disney Values they are a tad on the noisy side.
Royals lobby and pool are also great. These are Loews resorts, they take pride in their facilities and amenities. The one thing that took me off guard at the Portifino was the price of food, expensive. We wound up doing quick grabs from the store near the boat launch, had snacks and beverages including adult beverages. We tended to take that stuff to the pool area.

We learned to take the time and go off to City Walk for meals when we were not in the parks. City Walks sit downs were even cheaper than Portofino's than restaurants. That was the only pit fall. But a boat ride to City was just 10 minutes. It takes me that long to walk to the Food Court at Port Orleans Riverside so no biggy. That is one of the reasons I love Uni, it isn't 43 square miles and going back and forth to your resort is easy yet the resorts are completely set away from the parks.

Agree with many of your thoughts, thanks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom