The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
If @WDWFigment doesn't go I would gladly join (pending an invitation). The wife isn't much on crossing an ocean and not going to Italy.

I don't blame her. Even as a Faux Top One Percenter I have spent some time at Lake Como and I do think I'd like to own someone near Clooney's place.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
One other note on making up the numbers any way you can, just in to the Spirit Cave is the fact that availability of cast discounts on resort rooms have been slashed.

Blahhhhh....just as I'm contemplating a warm weather get away? Sucidoodles.

Californian Elitist

How's the weather in SoCal right now? I miss rainy days at DLR.

It rained on and off yesterday and little bit today. Still, the sun couldn't help but come out, yet again. It was a little chilly this morning, but it warmed up.

Took these photos from my school today:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Gabe1

One other note on making up the numbers any way you can, just in to the Spirit Cave is the fact that availability of cast discounts on resort rooms have been slashed.

And I am back on this, sorry.

I have not even talked to my DS yet about looking into coming down to escape our own little Frozen up here. Looking for a little clarification, is it the overall room count that has been slashed for CM discounts or did some of the resorts fall off, has the % discount remained the same?

I guess I don't get this as a revenue recovery. If I can't get a good break, I'm not going down. So is leaving a room empty better than my 40%-50% off? After adding AoA to the room inventory there are so many empty resort rooms, you'd think filling the empties would be a pro, how is the room empty a revenue builder. Maybe Iger took a different Econ class than I did.

StageFrenzy

Spirited Thursday Musings (Bonus edition):

I think I may have missed the Olympics and I can't blame it on being sick ... or can I?

For anyone who again wishes to talk about network TV being a dinosaur and on the way out, I'll invite you to check out the ratings of those boring as hell, hacked up Games on NBC ... or simply the daily's from tonight's CBS lineup, including a great outing of Big Bang Theory.

You said it before though, nobody counter-programed the Olympics. Everyone knows you have to fall asleep to something, nothing beats that than inane prater.* Which the Olympics, NCIS, Big Bang Theory and Law & Order excel at.

*seriously TURN OFF the TV it's bad for you!!!

alissafalco

Oh, and a kind source dropped a note to me to let me know that MAGIC Bands for all should be the rule by April 1st ... yes, if you are not a Disney resort guest or an APer then you'll have to purchase your own tracking device for a low, low price.
Does that mean that AP holders will have the ability to prebook FP's as of April 1st also?

StageFrenzy

So, someone said that 15% of people in the USA use Twitter ... guess what that means? Yes, the VAST majority of people simply don't give a flying (blank).

I do enjoy fun with Twits, and people describing their bowel movements. However those two are virtually interchangeable.

Gabe1

For reasons unknown, forecasting did not anticipate the crowds that showed up for the villains event until day of and the number went up exponentially during the day.

One would hope that in the future they would start incorporating off-duty cast members and passholders into their modeling... Because if there's a one time only special party happening? All the hard-core fans are going to make a way to show up.

But that is inexcusable, not forecasting correctly. They got that pass for the 24 Leap Year, that was a successful mess. The lack of staff, lack of food and as the night went on the lack of attractions open so guests were wandering aimlessly for it to end so they could claim victory that they experienced 24 hours. There was an abundance of off duty CMs and AP'ers. To continue to make the same forecasting errors just isn't acceptable.

Longhairbear

Spirited Thursday Musings (Bonus edition):

I think I may have missed the Olympics and I can't blame it on being sick ... or can I?

For anyone who again wishes to talk about network TV being a dinosaur and on the way out, I'll invite you to check out the ratings of those boring as hell, hacked up Games on NBC ... or simply the daily's from tonight's CBS lineup, including a great outing of Big Bang Theory.

So, someone said that 15% of people in the USA use Twitter ... guess what that means? Yes, the VAST majority of people simply don't give a flying (blank).

When I see multiple 20-plus page threads here about the redo of the MK Hub, I think multiple things.

You can't have it both ways to my unenlightened pals: either you pay people a living wage or you pay higher taxes and provide a social safety net that takes some of your hard-earned, self-made $$$s and gives them to others. You don't do one, you sorta have to do the other. I know, it would be a better world if those folks just lived wretched lives or died ... but what can you do?

Have you ever felt like you just lost a few weeks with nothing to show for them? yeah, me too!

Anyone have the schedule for April's Celebration Place Whorefest?

How's the weather in SoCal right now? I miss rainy days at DLR.

Anyone still claiming that NGE will drive WDW attendance? (remember when some idiots thought that it was the Potter Swatter? Seriously, they did!)
Past midnight in Palm Springs, and just wind so far. Hoping to finally get some snow up on the mountain too.

djlaosc

KYWDW

It's only a matter of time before mm+ failures leave the fall guys without a job. Only thing I see driving attendance numbers are these run Disney events. You would be surprised how many CEOs (ones I speak with) who want to run/walk these events. Raising the minimum wage may takeaway the dollar menu but that's not a bad thing.

WDWFanDave

Isn't it interesting, Dave (and others), that WDW area hotels often have prices that are almost the same as they were 10-15-20 years ago? These hotels aren't losing money when they fill a room at say $150 a night. They're making loads.

So, why is it that we all joke about knowing someone who staying at the Poly for $35 in 1972, yet the same room (just lousier service) can now go for $600-900 a night?

You want to know why Disney can't fill them? Or why they are DVCing every resort they can?

Because of a bad, greedy business model. Of course, it allows Disney some benefits when they 'give away' a room at the Poly for $379 on discount. They're taking a loss, right?

WDW doesn't get much better so long as it is operated under the 1990s strategic planning (MUST INCREASE PROFITS BY 20% EVERY QUARTER!!!) model. It has butchered the resort.

Three days is not a smart way to cruise. I have done 3-14 nights before and the longer, the better. I am at the point where I would not even bother with less than five nights. Otherwise, as soon as you get on the boat, it's time to leave.

Oh, and you could always watch YouTube videos of both the parade and the kiddie coaster.

Thanks for the reply. We've never gone on a cruise, so my thought was to get started with a shorter one, if in fact we go, but I agree that a three day would feel like little more than check in, have a bit of fun and food, and oh crap-it's time to check out.

If I didn't have a 7 year old daughter that loves the Magic Kingdom (and therefore I love bringing her there!), I wouldn't go back. For all the good they're doing, there's just so much being left undone and outright screwed up, IMO. Unless something were to change dramatically, like a serious change in pricing, I may never return to the other parks. And, well, that hurts a bit. I've loved EPCOT since the preview center on MSUSA. But, I won't spend the money, with the exception of an occasional one day ticket to the MK, to return.

The other parks have so few real attractions anymore, that they feel more like themed shopping and restaurant areas. Hello....once Disney Springs is done, why would I even bother with the other parks if all I want is a themed shopping and dining experience? I can buy an annual pass to Universal, and still come over to Disney Springs to get a bit of the WDW experience, and I'm so freaking far ahead financially it's not even funny.

So, who knows. It'll be a while before we go back anyway. I think our next few trips will be shorter in miles and more focused on fun. I don't want to plan what time I'm going to eat six months from today. I don't want to think about what time I'm going to ride BTMRR 2 months from now. I want a vacation, not a planning headache. And, most importantly, I don't wish to visit a place that puts a plastic strap on my hand so that they can get every last penny possible out of my wallet.

Somewhere along the way with all this crap they are throwing at us, WDW has forgotten that sometimes simpler is better, and that most important things in life...well, they aren't things. Top of the list for me...time. Time with my family, enjoying each moment with each of them. I learned recently how quickly that can be taken away.

Sorry for my rambling. And, thanks for tolerating it. As always, I appreciate the insight, opinions, and feedback here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom