The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

BrianLo

I am not even sure what the French version of the name is. I believe it is more than the English one. But it should be the same. And not quite so lame.

Probably for the best. Ratatouille: Remy's totally zany adventure was not a solid naming choice. So it got worse in English and better in French...

But really, the masses will probably just refer to it as the Ratatouille ride, no matter what its called.

KYWDW

So I'm going to Orlando for work and taking a side trip to Disney. After finishing plans I've only got 1 day scheduled for Magic Kingdom and the rest of my time scheduled for Universal. Which in full disclosure, haven't been to universal in 16 years. I remember 16 years ago WDW blew away Universal and we never went back and eventually bought into SS DVC. Now I didn't even book time at SS as the rooms are full of worn out carpet and mediocre service from staff. Still on the fence on where to even stay as of now. Prices are inflated and I can't seem to talk myself into pulling the trigger on reserving any room. Never been this so unsure ever when having a chance to goto Disney. Let alone a practically free one at that.
As for the Steam Trains, they are a lot cleaner running than a single bus is for the entire day. The problem is Lilly belle went out for refurb years ago and isn't back yet. Steam engine refurbishment isn't cheap and retro fighting would save a lot of money over the life span. But in all honesty how many times has Disney depreciated the steam trains anyway?

StageFrenzy

Probably for the best. Ratatouille: Remy's totally zany adventure was not a solid naming choice. So it got worse in English and better in French...

But really, the masses will probably just refer to it as the Ratatouille ride, no matter what its called.

It does sound good in french, but most things do.

Funmeister

I think the best theme so far posted today was posted by @WDW1974 I believe.

The company "wants" to be or "wants to create the illusion" of being green leading to this change in trains.

Compare the amount of real pollution given off by the steam trains compared to all of the buses on property.

If the company was truly concerned bout really being green they would:

1. Immediately pull the trigger on the monorail, light rail and people mover expansion plan.

2. Quit selling balloons at MK and DHS. They do not sell balloons at DAK because of the animals. You cannot tell me it is impossible for balloons, straws and other debris to make their way into the park. OH...by the way...they do.

3. Let the animal folks worry about the animals and NOT Disney theme park operations. (Not getting into this one at this time but I can tell you there have been many animal deaths and injuries caused NOT by natural causes but for the sake of being "show ready")

Steam train conversion is nothing but a "pat-on-the-back-lets-feel-good-about-ourselves" environmental move so they can get a freakin' Cricket award for having "Environmentality!" I call it Environmen-BULL-SH**!"

Skyway

Anyone else remember the wax machines at the rest stops on the turnpike and at Kennedy Space Center (I think)? Put in a quarter and get a freshly pressed wax figure of an astronaut or dolphin. I can still imagine the smell of the wax......but maybe I'm just longing for the good old days......

Mold-A-Rama machines still exist, particularly in Florida and Chicago.

Here's one list of locations:

http://www.waymarking.com/cat/detai...&sg=c11f93e7-82f1-4b73-aef1-f9a1a7795e45&st=2

flynnibus

Premium Member
Going back to the watch if you have an expensive finely built watch and I have a digital and someone asks us what time it is, we will both have the same answer. Why would one be better then the other strictly on a functional basis?

Ummm because the trains are an ATTRACTION - not just a functional thing.

People don't buy a Rolex because it tells better time... And Disney did not put a train in his park because it was purely functional

flynnibus

Premium Member
In their time yes. But, like Walt with everything except trains, admiration of the past is and sometimes must be changed to fit with today's concerns not yesterdays memories. Sure, once they are gone, they're gone, but, really are they needed any longer.

When you bring old typewriters and washing machines into the discussion it's plainly obvious you have zero comprehension of why people are enamored with the idea of these machines as living machines

Longhairbear

Spirited Friday Musings:

No, I didn't die. Sorry. Still here.

So, MM+ did drop dead today at TPFKaTD-MGMS? Yeah, technology is great. You should need a personal tracking device (i.e. a JOBSPhone) in order to experience a theme park. Sure.

I got a note today from an anonymous source that felt my feelings about Morgan C. were accurate. What a surprise. I didn't realize she was the person who replaced Mrs. Tom Amity Corless with Touring Plans. Just another reason to not like her.

Looks like Anaheim's BTMRR will be open for all in the very near future. FINALLY!

A belated Happy B-Day to my pal @PhotoDave219 ... BTW, do you know Al Diaz?

OK, so Disney decided to cancel a live show during Star Wars Weekends and take my advice and make fireworks a nightly part of the event? And push the event out another weekend to just about when the media preview/opening of Diagon Alley should be? They seem more desperate then the last fanboi standing at an Imagineering mixer.

Who do you think hates me the most at Celebration Place?

Am I watching Last Man Standing on ABC right now? Well, it beats the Olympics (spolier alert: we lost the only sport that matters to Canada today!)

The latest ABC sitcom failure to follow Modern Family premieres this week. Mixology looks unwatchable.

Some days I wake up and think it's still 2011.

The MK steam train issue goes all the way to the top ... Iger himself. Same rationale that has radically changed the product in RoE at EPCOT. The idiot (and I don't use that word lightly) wants the railway to be as green as possible. ... If he really gave a $hit about being green, then maybe he wouldn't be pushing to develop every square inch of WDW ... then maybe he wouldn't be clogging roads with buses ... then ... yeah, he doesn't.

Anyone man or woman enough here to say they won't visit a foreign Disney resort because they are afraid to leave the USofA?
I'd love to hear more of what happened with MM+ at DHS. It would be a hoot if losing MM+ didn't disrupt anything, and no one noticed.

StageFrenzy

Anyone else remember the wax machines at the rest stops on the turnpike and at Kennedy Space Center (I think)? Put in a quarter and get a freshly pressed wax figure of an astronaut or dolphin. I can still imagine the smell of the wax......but maybe I'm just longing for the good old days......

Yeah the wax/plastic had such a distinctive smell, I loved it too. While no longer a quarter Busch Gardens and MOSI has several of those machines. You know next time in BGT I think I will get one just to get a hit of that nostalgic plastic smell. I used to have one of the Orbiter prepared for liftoff and a couple of the animal ones.

Disneybear

Actually, I think I lot of people would want to hear that, and would agree. Wonders of Life, Imagination, etc...all areas that used to have substance and now don't, or have been converted to convention space, (for a theme park guest, basically the same thing...)

I'm pretty sure if I've read the "gloom and doomers" opinions correctly, they are basically saying what you are now. Disney needs to reinvent the areas of the park they have closed. Empty space is depressing. But it's also a public display of apparent disregard upper management has for the state of their parks. If closing certain areas of the park helps the bottom line...those areas will remain closed.

It's only when some magical lightbulb goes off in Disney executives heads that "Hey, maybe if we bring reopen these closed areas and built quality attractions, the fanbase will be happy and more people will come to the parks, helping the bottom line. It's a win-win!

CM are usually very good for our family. We rarely run into one that doesn't give off the vibe they don't want to be there. Has it happened, yes. But nothing that happens too often, which is surprising considering what Disney pays these people.

Unfortunately that 'Magical Light bulb' you talk about has been replaced with an energy efficient one, so it wont so much go off as take about 3 decades to warm up to where it used to go instantly.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I believe the boilers will be retrofitted to burn bio diesel. Just need a fuel tank under a thin layer of coal in the coal car. A fuel pump and a fuel injector for the combustion chamber. It would still need to take on water for propulsion purposes. So all in all, not real different other than no-one will have to shovel coal.
The engines currently burn diesel to generate the steam. My understanding of the rumor is the engines themselves would be retired and replaced with replica steam engines that have diesel combustion engines on the inside but are made to look authentic, similar to the train at AK.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think the best theme so far posted today was posted by @WDW1974 I believe.

The company "wants" to be or "wants to create the illusion" of being green leading to this change in trains.

Compare the amount of real pollution given off by the steam trains compared to all of the buses on property.

If the company was truly concerned bout really being green they would:

1. Immediately pull the trigger on the monorail, light rail and people mover expansion plan.

2. Quit selling balloons at MK and DHS. They do not sell balloons at DAK because of the animals. You cannot tell me it is impossible for balloons, straws and other debris to make their way into the park. OH...by the way...they do.

3. Let the animal folks worry about the animals and NOT Disney theme park operations. (Not getting into this one at this time but I can tell you there have been many animal deaths and injuries caused NOT by natural causes but for the sake of being "show ready")

Steam train conversion is nothing but a "pat-on-the-back-lets-feel-good-about-ourselves" environmental move so they can get a freakin' Cricket award for having "Environmentality!" I call it Environmen-BULL-SH**!"

Agreed. Plus they would add tons of solar power to WDW. The pollution from generating the electricity that runs the monorail is much greater than the pollution from the steam trains. In reality the trains are greener than the monorail is. WDW has some of the largest parking lots in the country. If they covered even a portion of the MK parking lot with solar panels they could generate enough electricity to run the monorail and probably the entire park. Plus they would have the added guest benefit of covered parking which would be nice in the dead heat of summer. Now that would be an attempt at being green.

The Empress Lilly

I am not even sure what the French version of the name is. I believe it is more than the English one. But it should be the same. And not quite so lame.
As far as I know, the ride is called Ratatouille, l'aventure totalement toqu'ee de R'emy. Perhaps as a distant nod to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride? ('The completely zany adventures of Remi')

For the non-francophones it is shortened into Rat the Ride. Me I would've called it: Rat Race. Which is a natural sounding English term to native speakers, witty, and which keeps the zanyness of the French title intact.

yeti

The French title is actually quite clever. Ratatouille: L’Aventure Totalement Toquée de Rémy. It's a play-on words: "toquée" means crazy/bizarre, but it's also a pun--a toque as in the tall white hat French chefs ideally wear.

Last edited:

Nubs70

The engines currently burn diesel to generate the steam. My understanding of the rumor is the engines themselves would be retired and replaced with replica steam engines that have diesel combustion engines on the inside but are made to look authentic, similar to the train at AK.
That sucks. Why not just hook the train to a pickup and paint "TRAIN" on the side? After all, it will get oneself from a to b. And nobody cares about the engine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom