The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Nubs70

But if they set it up to run on BioDiesel like Disneyland (the ultimate cost cutting measure since they can recycle their own oil for fuel) the exhaust wouldn't be an issue, would it? I'm honestly asking if anyone knows. I've always heard BioDiesel exhaust smells like French Fries (already one of the predominant smells of WDW) but I have never witnessed it firsthand.

As far as the sound goes, that just seems like a different ear piercing loud sound, but not significantly worse than the existing decibel level of the engine (which is deafening up close).
The exhaust still contains carbon dioxide and dihyrdogen monoxide, Both of which are, paradoxically, essential to life.

Goofyernmost

Want to know what I think is the biggest problem with WDW right now? No, of course you don't, but I'm going to tell you anyway. PUT SOMETHING IN OR REOPEN THOSE EMPTY BUILDINGS. Then get some CM's (some not all) that actually want to be there. Those two things are doing more to destroy WDW then any number of attractions that they haven't built. Nothing says loser like those empty or nearly empty attractions/buildings. It's like when a store goes out of business and they keep emptying shelves and putting things on the left over ones. Pulling things to the front to try and make it look like they are fully stocked. (BTW, Ray Charles could have seen through that) Even if people don't have a conscience thought about it, the brain registers. The individual, knows something is wrong, but they cannot seem to pinpoint it. Empty Restaurants, empty Pavilions, half filled Pavilions, all scream, hurry and get something cause we are fading fast. It, more than any chipped paint or lack of steam train effects, create that nagging feeling that something isn't what it used to be, but what is it?

Most CM's are very dedicated to their jobs and don't complain about us until they go home at night, but, some might as well be animatronics. They show no emotion, they smile but it isn't real, and it shows. That's when they do smile. A lot of the time they are talking with other CM's probably so it will look like they are accidentally ignoring the guests instead of intentionally. They are probably waiting for the store to close down as well. They are helpful when asked, but, are not proactive in their job. It comes across sometimes just what a burden we "Guests" really are.

Every restaurant that they have ever built should be open even if it loses money by the minute. It needs to show life not emptiness. If not tear it down and put an attraction in it's place if it's not needed. Or maybe realize that People need choices. Why were those places needed when they opened and now when they are getting the biggest crowds ever, they are closed. All those little things that people feel are so totally important when the parks feel alive and well, don't amount to diddly squat when everything else looks like it's dying.

I don't think that all CM's are like that. I had a brief conversation with a young lady that was working the registers at one of the "quick serve" places a couple of weeks ago. I asked her how she was doing and she said, very convincingly, "Great, ever since I was a little girl I want to work here at WDW. Now here I am, it's wonderful, I love it, everything has worked out the way I dreamed it would. And it was obvious that she meant every word of it. No one could act that sincere. Clone that girl, Disney needs a whole lot more like her. Chances are that Disney will value her out of the picture though at some point in time. That is what needs to be fixed before they can ever do anything that matches the Disney of old. Light bulbs and the occasional chipped paint mostly go unnoticed by everyone except we, the terminally obsessed, but, that other stuff does count even if they don't realize it.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
And if you remotely think the Walt Disney World of today is anything like the Walt Disney World of the 1970s, 1980s, or 1990s, then you simply aren't old enough to remember the differences.

Do people gripe today?

Sure.

And for good reason.

Oh, I've been around a while. I remember ticket books, penny arcade that had actual viewing machines in it. "If you had wings", Mission to Mars/moon", skyway, topiaries between the contemporary and TTC. Were the parks cleaner back then, yes. I will say people respected the parks more back then. We picked up our own trash, not watching a wrapper to see how long it took a CM to pick it up. If memory serves me people actually dressed up a bit to go to MK. But those were the days before it was cool to wear your pants around your knees and see what you can get away throwing at AAs in Haunted Mansion.

Anyone else remember the wax machines at the rest stops on the turnpike and at Kennedy Space Center (I think)? Put in a quarter and get a freshly pressed wax figure of an astronaut or dolphin. I can still imagine the smell of the wax......but maybe I'm just longing for the good old days......

spacemt354

Chili's
Want to know what I think is the biggest problem with WDW right now? No, of course you don't, but I'm going to tell you anyway. PUT SOMETHING IN OR REOPEN THOSE EMPTY BUILDINGS. Then get some CM's (some not all) that actually want to be there. Those two things are doing more to destroy WDW then any number of attractions that they haven't built. Nothing says loser like those empty or nearly empty attractions/buildings.

Actually, I think I lot of people would want to hear that, and would agree. Wonders of Life, Imagination, etc...all areas that used to have substance and now don't, or have been converted to convention space, (for a theme park guest, basically the same thing...)

I'm pretty sure if I've read the "gloom and doomers" opinions correctly, they are basically saying what you are now. Disney needs to reinvent the areas of the park they have closed. Empty space is depressing. But it's also a public display of apparent disregard upper management has for the state of their parks. If closing certain areas of the park helps the bottom line...those areas will remain closed.

It's only when some magical lightbulb goes off in Disney executives heads that "Hey, maybe if we bring reopen these closed areas and built quality attractions, the fanbase will be happy and more people will come to the parks, helping the bottom line. It's a win-win!

CM are usually very good for our family. We rarely run into one that doesn't give off the vibe they don't want to be there. Has it happened, yes. But nothing that happens too often, which is surprising considering what Disney pays these people.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Wow. I mean, I find that hard to believe (not necessarily saying I don't believe it, since I have 0 inside connections, just that it's hard to believe). It seems that the architecture group would be leading the development of this entire project, and if one was not already existing, it would be created at the outset of a project of this size.

You outsource the architects too... Then the internal people focus only on requirements and liaison

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
You outsource the architects too... Then the internal people focus only on requirements and liaison
Sure, I've mostly seen this more in project based contracts, where the firm is responsible just for delivering the product and the client has little say in how the work is done, therefore internally to the project everything is provided. I would think typically though that the integration pieces, especially in a project this large and widespread, would be done by a Disney based IT organization. I guess even that could be outsourced, and as I said, I have zero inside knowledge in how they did handle this. The only thing I know for sure is Disney does employ architects, though no idea for which projects they might have been associated with. I may or may not have looked at postings in the past :)

Goofyernmost

Because you have no appreciation for the mechanical wonder that these beasts are.

It's like taking out your precision watch and replacing it with a digital watch
I suppose, but I still know what time it is don't I. A twenty thousand dollar car gets me the same place as a Rolls Royce. It all is dependent on ones goals. I'm sure many people are not aware of whether the trains are steam or run on jello. They get on, ride around the park, get off and say, hey, that was fun. But I do see how an old fashioned steam train fits the mood better, but that is because I have followed Walt Disney and his motives for a number of years. To so many others it's just another ride. Most current young families were never around during the hay day of the steam train and to them its like comparing a computer to an old Royal Typewriter. The computer is better.

I don't think that they will or should do away with something that is iconic to the parks. They can change all types of things and still put a system in that simulates steam (not fake steam, real steam, just used for a different purpose) and that is what a fantasy kingdom is all about isn't it? Not reality, fantasy?

Nubs70

I suppose, but I still know what time it is don't I. A twenty thousand dollar car gets me the same place as a Rolls Royce. It all is dependent on ones goals. I'm sure many people are not aware of whether the trains are steam or run on jello. They get on, ride around the park, get off and say, hey, that was fun. But I do see how an old fashioned steam train fits the mood better, but that is because I have followed Walt Disney and his motives for a number of years. To so many others it's just another ride. Most current young families were never around during the hay day of the steam train and to them its like comparing a computer to an old Royal Typewriter. The computer is better.

I don't think that they will or should do away with something that is iconic to the parks. They can change all types of things and still put a system in that simulates steam (not fake steam, real steam, just used for a different purpose) and that is what a fantasy kingdom is all about isn't it? Not reality, fantasy?
So we design an experience for the median denominator? What is special about the average?

We all obsess over detail and the experience. What if Walt did not obsess? We would end up with a county fair.

Goofyernmost

Sorry to reintroduce so many pages later, but since no one else did this, I will:

$2,500,000,000

That's a helluva lotta zeroes.
You know, it could, for all I know, be 2.5 Billion, but, it confuses me how information like that, stuff that Disney holds very close to its chest, is quoted with so much certainty. Just makes me wonder how they know. Wouldn't one have to have access to the accounting office, be able to look threw millions of lines of entry, even those that are disguised as something else to be able to say, with absolute certainty, that "yup, by god it is 2.5 Billion, yes sir". There it is in black and white. Wouldn't there be only a few people with that type of access or need to know information?

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I suppose, but I still know what time it is don't I. A twenty thousand dollar car gets me the same place as a Rolls Royce.

By that logic, WDW and six flags are two in the same, they both have rides food and shows. So let's break free from that a hair, differences set six flags and WDW apart just like differences set rolls and honda apart. Next analogy...

Goofyernmost

So we design an experience for the median denominator? What is special about the average?

We all obsess over detail and the experience. What if Walt did not obsess? We would end up with a county fair.
Walt lived in a different time. Maybe people were more easily impressed or more into that eras nostalgia. His own obsession for trains came from his experience with them in his early years. I'm thinking that today's "Walt Disney" type would be obsessing over something much different.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Friday Musings:

No, I didn't die. Sorry. Still here.

So, MM+ did drop dead today at TPFKaTD-MGMS? Yeah, technology is great. You should need a personal tracking device (i.e. a JOBSPhone) in order to experience a theme park. Sure.

I got a note today from an anonymous source that felt my feelings about Morgan C. were accurate. What a surprise. I didn't realize she was the person who replaced Mrs. Tom Amity Corless with Touring Plans. Just another reason to not like her.

Looks like Anaheim's BTMRR will be open for all in the very near future. FINALLY!

A belated Happy B-Day to my pal @PhotoDave219 ... BTW, do you know Al Diaz?

OK, so Disney decided to cancel a live show during Star Wars Weekends and take my advice and make fireworks a nightly part of the event? And push the event out another weekend to just about when the media preview/opening of Diagon Alley should be? They seem more desperate then the last fanboi standing at an Imagineering mixer.

Who do you think hates me the most at Celebration Place?

Am I watching Last Man Standing on ABC right now? Well, it beats the Olympics (spolier alert: we lost the only sport that matters to Canada today!)

The latest ABC sitcom failure to follow Modern Family premieres this week. Mixology looks unwatchable.

Some days I wake up and think it's still 2011.

The MK steam train issue goes all the way to the top ... Iger himself. Same rationale that has radically changed the product in RoE at EPCOT. The idiot (and I don't use that word lightly) wants the railway to be as green as possible. ... If he really gave a $hit about being green, then maybe he wouldn't be pushing to develop every square inch of WDW ... then maybe he wouldn't be clogging roads with buses ... then ... yeah, he doesn't.

Anyone man or woman enough here to say they won't visit a foreign Disney resort because they are afraid to leave the USofA?

Nubs70

Walt lived in a different time. Maybe people were more easily impressed or more into that eras nostalgia. His own obsession for trains came from his experience with them in his early years. I'm thinking that today's "Walt Disney" type would be obsessing over something much different.
But are not the good things in life developed by those that obsess?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom