The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Goofyernmost

I have never seen such a clear example of blaming the messenger in my entire life.

In any case, if they are going to append that warning to M:S, they also will have to do the same for Everest, Dinosaur, RnR, ToT, PoC, the Carousel, Space Mountain, the wave pool at TL, and both Fort Wilderness and Pop Century resort pools, as similar deaths occured to guests either on or exiting those attractions, as well.

(And I cannot believe you made me defend the total piece of garbage known as M:S - but yes, that's how insane what you are saying sounds that I'm forced to.)
OK, now that you have gotten that out of your system, go back and read they "Spoiler"!

SJN1279

A ride like the one we're getting? Not even close. Maybe like what Tokyo is getting, but not us.
Frozen Summer Fun seemed to be as big of a draw as Diagon Alley this summer by most accounts for less than half the price.

Also Gringotts wasn't the Universal homerun many expected. This new Frozen ride may surprise you.

Goofyernmost

Sarcasm and hyperbole aside, the "bar" by which we judge Disney in 2014 may well be difficult to define, but we can illustrate with sold, concrete evidence and examples a very real decline in Disney's own standards over the intervening years. It isn't just nostalgia or a longing for the past which clouds our judgement; The bar has literally been set lower than it once was.
I agree, but, here are our options:
1. Accept the fact and enjoy the "bar" where it stands currently.
2. Not like it, but continue to support the Disney Company financially by paying admission to see the lower standard.
3. Be so upset by the lowering that we refuse to ever set foot in a Disney Park again, thus kicking the decision to lower the "bar" in the proverbial butt.

The impossible stand is to sit here and think that just because a few of us that were lucky enough to see Disney in the days of yore, can influence management, by spouting off our objections, into resetting the bar higher. Thinking that speaking out on a Discussion Board will change anything is a nice dream, but, a dream it is.

the.dreamfinder

Last edited:

AEfx

Frozen takes place in a fictional kingdom called Arendelle INSPRIED BY Norway, not in ACTUAL Norway. That's all I need to take the concept of this makeover making any kind of sense and throw it out the window of a moving car where it is then run over by an 18 wheeler.

Well, fortunately for the millions of Frozen fans out there, it's not your call. ;)

That said, I had no idea the impact that Norway had on folks to be so passionate about it's extremely loose connections to the Maelstrom ride. Nor was I ever aware that the ride actually took place in Norway - can we prove that? The Scandinavian folklore that beget trolls and Norse Gods was actually not exclusive to Norway, but also part of the history of Sweeden, Denmark, Iceland, etc. And they hardly have the patent on oil rigs.

I'm sad to see it go, but that's why I don't see a negative impact on World Showcase - they are trading one loosely-based fantasy ride for another, but the rest of the place is going to stay stagnant as it has since the 80's, no worries to be had.

Kungaloosh1937

Frozen Summer Fun seemed to be as big of a draw as Diagon Alley this summer by most accounts for less than half the price.

Also Gringotts wasn't the Universal homerun many expected. This new Frozen ride may surprise you.

First of all, no. Not "by most accounts." You like to keep making things up. Secondly, LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE? What the HELL are you talking about?

But I'm glad that people like you think that something that was literally thrown together in a week is so phenomenal that it has truly triumphed over one of the greatest themed lands ever created.

And as to Gringott's... have you been? No? Have you even been to WDW lately? No?

I seem to recall the legendary Tony Baxter being thrilled with Gringotts. Even if it's within the top 5 rides ever, that's still better than anything WDW has done in years. Period. "It's not quite as good as Forbidden Journey" is pretty much one of the best things you can say about any attraction.

Why am I even responding to you?

Lee

Adventurer
Potter neutralizer?
Umm......no.
That said, I had no idea the impact that Norway had on folks to be so passionate about it's extremely loose connections to the Maelstrom ride.
Oh, you know that isn't the point.

The point is the insidious creeping of characters into Epcot.
Nemo...Donald...neither were good ideas.

Eventually they'll make good on that threat to put Monsters into Universe of Energy. Mater into Test Track.

Awful...just awful...

AEfx

1) I would be surprised if Frozen Summer Fun was 1/100th of the cost of Diagon Alley.

2) All Frozen at DHS did was draw guests from other WDW parks - it was so quickly thrown together and generally folks plan WDW vacations months in advance.

AEfx

Oh, you know that isn't the point.

The point is the insidious creeping of characters into Epcot.
Nemo...Donald...neither were good ideas.

Eventually they'll make good on that threat to put Monsters into Universe of Energy. Mater into Test Track.

Awful...just awful...

Hey, I'm just going with what folks are saying. That's why a lot of this is so silly - if folks were just gonna say "I don't like it because it's characters in WS" that would be one thing, but folks are claiming far, far more than that.

Personally, for me, it's not an issue - but I can at least respect the position since it's not made up of nouveau romanticism as so many of the other arguments are.

Mike S

Well, fortunately for the millions of Frozen fans out there, it's not your call. ;)

That said, I had no idea the impact that Norway had on folks to be so passionate about it's extremely loose connections to the Maelstrom ride. Nor was I ever aware that the ride actually took place in Norway - can we prove that? The Scandinavian folklore that beget trolls and Norse Gods was actually not exclusive to Norway, but also part of the history of Sweeden, Denmark, Iceland, etc. And they hardly have the patent on oil rigs.

I'm sad to see it go, but that's why I don't see a negative impact on World Showcase - they are trading one loosely-based fantasy ride for another, but the rest of the place is going to stay stagnant as it has since the 80's, no worries to be had.
And unfortunately for millions of Frozen fans TWDC cares so little that they're giving them the cheapest option possible in a place it has absolutely no business being in. World Showcase is not the place for animated Princesses. This problem is three fold for me:

1. I really did like Maelstrom and will miss it.

2. I am a fan of Frozen and was hoping that because of its success we could've gotten something great out of it, not this dreck (thank god for Tokyo Disneyland and the OLC. They get it).

3. WDAS or Pixar characters do NOT belong in World Showcase or even Future World as the main attractions in ANY of the pavilions.

So, I think you can see why I'm more than a little mad about this whole thing.
Sign me up!

I was happy with TLM, so that sounds sweet to me.
I enjoy the Mermaid ride a little too but it has its flaws, some of which were fixed in DCA's refurb and will be in the future with the rumored new ending for the ride. Now we just see how many years it takes (if at all) to see these changes come to Magic Kingdom.

Absolutely nothing in that event is on this level, NOTHING.
image.jpg

And when you see 10 hour lines for Frozen Maelstrom don't think for a second it's simply because it's popular. Capacity nightmare all the way. Good luck even getting NEAR the Norway pavilion when this opens.

Last edited:

hpyhnt 1000

If that is what will be happening and using that logic, then this is at best a sideways move in a park that needs a couple of leaps forward attractions wise. That is hardly something to celebrate and is the worst of both worlds. An area of the park that needs a good update get only partially refreshed, but the resulting additions are in direct contradiction with the older area, thus making the entire area a thematic mess.

And I would rather have a loosely-based fantasy ride be based on ancient folklore, legend and stories from the Nordic region rather than a loosely-based fantasy ride based on a fictional, animated film created by a handful of producers and script writers in California. The former was at least shaped by generations of people from the region; the latter is just someone's personal creative concept.

Hey, I'm just going with what folks are saying. That's why a lot of this is so silly - if folks were just gonna say "I don't like it because it's characters in WS" that would be one thing, but folks are claiming far, far more than that.

Personally, for me, it's not an issue - but I can at least respect the position since it's not made up of nouveau romanticism as so many of the other arguments are.

As I said earlier, and as I have maintained in my posts on this subject, that is the crux of the argument. World Showcase was always meant to highlight the people, places and cultures of the real world. A ride/pavilion based on a fictional animated film in no way belongs in an area dedicated to showcasing the countries of the world.

AEfx

If that is what will be happening and using that logic, then this is at best a sideways move in a park that needs a couple of leaps forward attractions wise.

You won't get an argument here, at least as far as creatively. But it sure is going to be a heck of a lot more popular ride with the average guest.

As I said earlier, and as I have maintained in my posts on this subject, that is the crux of the argument. World Showcase was always meant to highlight the people, places and cultures of the real world. A ride/pavilion based on a fictional animated film in no way belongs in an area dedicated to showcasing the countries of the world.

Well, Nordic Gods and Trolls are also fictional, to be fair. ;)

I don't share that view of WS - it's mostly a collection of shops and restaurants to me, with exquisite theming and some really neat details. But I never saw it as this profound experience that must be totally insulated from Disney content. But I understand that some folks indeed see it as more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom