The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
That article you linked just mentioned that they're doing the same thing Scotland did with Brave. Which is also funny because that Scottish Brave campaign ended up getting backlash from a small Scottish CG animation studio angry that their crappy looking movie Sir Billi was snubbed in favor of the big budget, actually good looking film.

I find it amazing and sad that this is now Sean Connery's last movie.

Yes how shocking the Jocks didnt all love the Americanised short bread tin image of Scotland, Gingers stinking of wee and wearing tartan, how very imperialist of you.

jakeman

That article you linked just mentioned that they're doing the same thing Scotland did with Brave. Which is also funny because that Scottish Brave campaign ended up getting backlash from a small Scottish CG animation studio angry that their crappy looking movie Sir Billi was snubbed in favor of the big budget, actually good looking film.

Yeah I don't generally like linking news videos and in my very brief search it was either the CBS new video or the BBC text article that got the point across.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Then what is a sellout to you? Because I think building a theme park around your culture fits that definition pretty well.

Because building a tourist destination is not a sell out - it's what you put in it. Monetizing the Statue of Liberty did not make the National Park Service a sell out.

Also, they are using Frozen, with it's vaguely Norwegian stereotypes to promote their country. How is that not selling out?

The same way using Sam the Eagle doesn't make America a sell out... because we aren't putting Sam the Eagle in the National Archives building to promote the Declaration of Independence. Using Frozen in tourist ads is not the same thing as selling out their cultural sites, museums or slapping Frozen stickers on their cultural landmarks.
I'll just assume that you are being helpful and aren't trying to get into a foreign travel peeing contest.

It's not about travel. It's that I work in a team consisting of all Norwegians for the last 16 years and have lived and worked in Oslo extensively during that time. I'm sharing with you Norwegian references not based on books or Wikipedia, but my own personal exposure to the culture for a period almost as long as your entire conscious existence.

Mike S

Wth did I just watch o_O No duh they would choose Brave over that.

jakeman

It's not about travel. It's that I work in a team consisting of all Norwegians for the last 16 years and have lived and worked in Oslo extensively during that time. I'm sharing with you Norwegian references not based on books or Wikipedia, but my own personal exposure to the culture for a period almost as long as your entire conscious existence.
Well let's hope your assumption about Norwegians are better than your assumptions about my age.

It is very American of you to paint a whole country with one brush. So good job there...

Cesar R M

Of course Norway will embrace Frozen, it is a massive film and will increase tourism to Norway as people will want to see the scenery thats 'in the movie' i highly doubt that the Norwegian Tourist Authority have wasted one piece of A4 paper over the Norway pavillon in Epcot over the last 5 years, and i doubt they care one way or the other whether it stays as Maelstrom, becomes 'Journey through Frozen® Norway' or gets remade into a larger shop.

Plus it is my understanding that the Norwegian business (and a small bit from the government) that helped to fund the pavilion, get a big hefty percentage of sales from food and drinks and merchandise , so that frozen merchandise flying of the shelves will help cheer them up, and those 6 month booked out character meals

and what "scenery" in the movie is in norway? just wondering? I dont see any "arandelle" in the map.

Bolna

Well let's hope your assumption about Norwegians are better than your assumptions about my age.

It is very American of you to paint a whole country with one brush. So good job there...

Actually there is a huge difference between just repeating stereotypes and reporting on ones personal experiences with a different culture. I very much appreciate @flynnibus insight into Norwegian culture.

And while not everyone in a country might be the same, generalisations to a certain degree are possible if a large number of the population thinks similarly. A well founded observation on this is far from painting a whole country with one brush.

jakeman

Actually there is a huge difference between just repeating stereotypes and reporting on ones personal experiences with a different culture. I very much appreciate @flynnibus insight into Norwegian culture.

And while not everyone in a country might be the same, generalisations to a certain degree are possible if a large number of the population thinks similarly. A well founded observation on this is far from painting a whole country with one brush.
I tend not to make assumptions about an entire country based on my experience, regardless of how extensive, with only one city.

I would hate if all of Michigan was judge on Detroit. I'm sure the converse is true for most of the residents of Austin and the general perception of Texas. I've lived in Raleigh all my life and we don't even have the same barbeque in the next county over.

Countries are made of people and people are different and I'm not going to hold one country to a singular standard based on one person's observation.

tamotu99

and what "scenery" in the movie is in norway? just wondering? I dont see any "arandelle" in the map.

None of it, but the art work is very much based on the Norwegian fjords, particularly Bergen, in fact there are now frozen tours available there, but to be fair, there is nothing that says it is Norway and that scenery could just as easily be found in Iceland, Sweden or Finland, as well as other places im sure, that i havent been to

Omnispace

Anyone with a Scandinavian studies degree who can explain to us what the Norwegians are thinking?

I went to school in Denmark. From the point of view of the Danes, "Norwegian" and "thinking" are not always associated with each other. Danes on the island of Sjaelland think those living on Fyn are duller. Those living on Fyn point further west to Jylland as their simple compatriots. The poor Jyllanders have nowhere left to point but north to Norway. Actually, it's all in good fun -- just typical Danish humor. ;)

John

A Spirited serious question to all the folks who still have pixie dust in their eyes: what currently going on at WDW has you excited enough to burn through thousands of dollars by visiting in 2014 or 2015?

The remote possibility you will make the drive north and I get to meet you;) Not to mention it really isn't going to cost me thousands. Thanks to a heavy CM discount in January. Other then that I promised a mutual friend I would hook her up. Disney wise? meh.... I am really looking forward to HP 2.0 does that count?

Nemo14

A Spirited serious question to all the folks who still have pixie dust in their eyes: what currently going on at WDW has you excited enough to burn through thousands of dollars by visiting in 2014 or 2015?
me? absolutely nothing. I've watched the new parade on line and it does look impressive, but not enough to get me to waste a day on my remaining tickets. In fact in the past 18 months, we have spent about 80 days in the central FL area and spent exactly 2 days in the parks in all that time. One was for opening day of the F&G festival and the other was to DAK because we had guests who wanted to go there. We've visited other theme parks, some beautiful state parks and KSC, but neither one of us feel an overwhelming desire to visit WDW at this point.

Last edited:

acishere

My gf's roommate has never gone so they want to recruit me and a few others for a friends trip next year. I'd like to ride the mine train and check out the new HP area at Universal so I agreed to go whenever this actually happens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom