The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

stevehousse

Well let's hope that Manoa doesn't take away from the tiki room, but I could definitely see her maybe added to the character breakfast at Ohana for meet n greets if she is deemed popular enough...

MerlinTheGoat

It's more important who is making the quote (Lou) rather than noting who is reporting him making the quote (Fox). I'm wondering if Disney is going to reprimand him for basically biting the hand that feeds him with that statement. It sounds like he's making that statement in an attempt to demand more for what the bloggers do to promote the brand. Correct me if that's a wrong assessment. Can't imagine Disney being very pleased with such a statement...

PhotoDave219

It's more important who is making the quote (Lou) rather than noting who is reporting him making the quote (Fox). I'm wondering if Disney is going to reprimand him for basically biting the hand that feeds him with that statement. It sounds like he's making that statement in an attempt to demand more for what the bloggers do to promote the brand. Correct me if that's a wrong assessment. Can't imagine Disney being very pleased with such a statement...

I'm having that very same conversation with a friend of mine right now… We shall see.

hopemax

It would be interesting, though, if the only planning tool people had was the official website. I do think it's fair to say that the fan sites have helped a lot of people over the years have more successful vacations, because historically, the official website is not accurate enough, detailed enough, or sometimes even functional these days (errors or loading a blank white page). The DIS is a constant stream of FP+/MB questions these day, I'm guessing in part because they either know not to check Disney's website, or couldn't find the answer there. WDW is getting better in terms of having menus, and all the times, but there are still things I try to find on the official site, and then go run off to AllEarsnet or somewhere else so I can find it faster. Fan sites are also more motivated to get info out quickly. Sometimes too quickly, but I would never be able to rely on an official site for up to date info about merchandise or food changes, just because "official" would never devote the resources to get every little thing. Nor sometimes would they want that info out there, like all the "testing" they are doing.

NearTheEars

I did consider the source… But I still sent it over to my friends in celebration anyways.

I mean apparently Lou thinks he's in control of business marketing message these days.

I don't think that's what he meant at all. I think he means that when people search for WDW on Google, there are several sources for information. Many of them being blogs and fan sites. I certainly didn't read it as him elevating himself as being in control.

Goofyernmost

It did seem like Mongello was warning Disney that he can influence the message that goes out, almost like a shot across the bow. I would love to be a fly on the wall when Lou next converses with Disney.
The sad part is that he is correct. Disney has let the tail wag the dog because most of what was being said was positive and for them it's free advertising. However, there is a line where Disney does not want to be thought of as being at the mercy of the bloggers, etc. They want that feeling to be felt by the bloggers, etc. not themselves. There will be an example made of some one or some site just as a message that you need not get feeling so big that you really feel that your influence is not expendable.

There is a fine line between rewarding folks for saying nice things and nice things being said just for the rewards. Lately, that line has been crossed by both sides quite often.

CDavid

I think Reflections of China will be demolished for a Moana ride, because the Pacific is kinda China, right?

Please bite your tongue! Hard.

Well this just came across my radar…

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/...-what-cant-get-anywhere-else/?intcmp=features

I don't think that quote will go unnoticed At celebration place.

It should have long been obvious that Disney, among large corporations, cannot hope to control the social media (fansite) message, of course, but as consumers - even those of us on this forum - do we truly (and accurately) appreciate the depths they will go to influence that message? The greater the apparent independence of a blogger/website/message board poster the more respect and impact they may have over the fans/consumers, even when they actually articulate that which has been approved by Disney legal.

Is Lou biting the hand that feeds him, or just trying to maintain an illusion of impartiality and independence?

zweltar

I think many guests will Moana if she replaces the Tiki Birds!
Who+gives+a+flying++_5e1f7bf07da81488652e6a362cefafad.jpg

Nubs70

It sounds like Lou is making the case for some Payola. Lou, by using the term "we consumers", infers he is an uncompensated participant in the world that is Disney. The fact that he is a compensated brand advocate, leads me to think:
  1. He is trying to negotiate something (Payola).
  2. He is warning of sites like this that could "damage" the brand if only given a cursory view.
Lou' s statement is saturated with conflict.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think Disney may have told Lou that they control the 'Social Media' message and Lou was reminding them that they really do not no matter how many 'social media analysts' they have over at CP and that Disney needs to respect the Blogospehere as a whole not just the 'Captive Blogs' like his.

And if Disney keeps maltreating bloggers other than the captive ones like Lou and the 'Mommy Bloggers' the Blogosphere may bite HARD and the message will get out of CP's control.

Good example was 'Market Basket' and Arthur T Demoulas - That one rapidly got out of control and the company changed radically as a result as customers stayed away in droves.

Next Big Thing

Ya know, Good ole Lou can never win with you guys.

Normally he talks up the brand and tries to "keep things positive". The second he goes and says something controversial, potentially negative against Disney, you guys still find a reason to hate on it.

Lou was speaking nothing but the truth. He does control a lot of Disney's marketing message. He's pretty much the highest profile blogger out there and if he starts turning that positivity into slightly more realistic based reporting, which would mean reporting the positive AND the negative, Disney all of a sudden has an unexpected problem in their marketing.

Cesar R M

I did consider the source… But I still sent it over to my friends in celebration anyways.

I mean apparently Lou thinks he's in control of business marketing message these days.
I find it interesting how Lou's ego seems to be going skyhigh lately.
I mean.. he's being interviewed from things he doesn't seem to have a clue (like the Paris case)
he just seems to be a hardcore fan who became a podcaster. No idea why newssources think he's some sort of almighty expert.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom