The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

71jason

Thanks for that information, but, I do have one question. Don't I always? When you say "local officials" what do you mean? Since it was a secret land grab, how would they have known that Walt was even considering doing anything in Florida?

Was a secret to land-owners, but not everybody else. The power-brokers knew, and Walt had assurances he'd get some sort of Reedy Creek-like deal for choosing Florida. I doubt anything was formally put on paper, but it was Florida in the 1960s, that wasn't really necessary.

Actually, 50 years later, as we're getting a soccer stadium no one really wanted, I'm not sure the good ol' boy network running everything behind the scenes has changed too much.

BernardandBianca

Actually, 50 years later, as we're getting a soccer stadium no one really wanted, I'm not sure the good ol' boy network running everything behind the scenes has changed too much.

I don't know how you can say that - I know of at least one owner, and about 2,000 rowdy football fans that really wanted that stadium. But to the good side, at least Winter Park isn't going to build a new baseball stadium to house a minor league team so that the owner can breach his lease with Brevard County and move the team closer to home.

lazyboy97o

Speaking of which, so Andy 'Fidel's Little Bro' Castro sorta gives me a backhanded compliment on the Twitter about the Toontown/Frozen etc news, yet at the same time appears to be taking a shot at Todd and Norm for putting out that column. Look, I get that Micechat has become an aggregator of various Disney and non-Disney theme park content. It's not simply the place where Al Lutz pontificated for so many years.

But I think Rule No. 1 of having the site supply, and give your content attention, should be an underlying faith that whatever goes in that main column (Al's former one) is quite well vetted and the best stuff on the 'net. If you think they're just putting out BS for attention, then I'd suggest that you don't know the people and that maybe you shouldn't be supplying them with your lovely pics.
MiceChat's shift has spun so far out of control that the place to find people calling the MiceAge Update a bunch of lies is the MiceChat Forums. You've got a problem when the House that Lutz built is now full of people who proudly proclaim that they only trust the DisneyParks Blog and that rumors shouldn't be a topic for discussion.

Last edited:

homerdance

There are growing signs that the latest round of theme park price hikes have run their course, becoming increasingly ineffective.

After three consecutive years of 7% or higher across-the-board price increases at the theme parks, tickets are up 4% this year, while the Disney Dining Plan is up 4.6%, increases that still are well above household income but at least a bit more sane. What gives?

Disney reports “Supplemental revenue data” in its 10K. For Parks & Resorts, this data contains “Merchandise, food and beverage” revenue and “Admissions” revenue.

Prior to 2010, merchandise, food and beverage revenue was higher than admission revenue, typically 1% to 5% higher. In other words, for every $1 in ticket sales, Disney sold $1.01 to $1.05 in merchandise, food, and beverage.

In recent years, Disney has aggressively increased all prices at the theme parks. As a result, merchandise, food, and beverage revenue was down to 89% of admissions revenue in 2013 (i.e. 89 cents on the dollar).

Merchandise, food, and beverage can be thought of as discretionary spending. If I want to visit a Disney theme park, I have to purchase a ticket. However, once inside the gate, I don’t have to purchase anything.

By raising prices faster than what people can afford, Disney has forced guests to cut back elsewhere. Instead of spending at WDW, they eat, drink, and shop offsite, where prices are significantly less.

In 2013, admissions revenue was up 11% while merchandise, food, and beverage revenue was up only 6%. The gap between the two has never been wider.

Last year, domestic attendance was up 4% while prices were up more than that. Yet Disney managed only 6% growth on merchandise, food, and beverage revenue. That’s just bad.

People still want to visit Disney theme parks, still need to eat, still need to drink, still want to buy souvenirs, but by squeezing tighter, Disney has lost a growing chunk of their vacation dollars.

Rather than drive guests offsite with higher prices, Disney needs to adopt a strategy that causes guests to spend all their vacation dollars onsite.

Disney needs to bundle hotel, ticket, food, and perhaps even merchandise into vacation packages that provide genuine savings to those willing to spend all their vacation dollars at WDW, not the disingenuous “raise prices 40% and then offer 30% discounts” strategy that they employ today.

Raising prices even more ain’t gonna cut it.
While I agree with a lot of what your saying here, and agree, there are a lot of other forces at play besides just price alone. The quality of what they are selling (both food and merch) isn't on par with what they are charging. The fact you can get the same merchandise online with free shipping @disneystore.com (or walmart/target/ebay/other) for the same products the sell in the parks is a big reason we don't buy as much. Also, we always would by something resort specific, but since they don't offer that anymore, one less thing we buy. The entire "Disney Parks" thing is a big driver of "low increases".

Mike S

While I agree with a lot of what your saying here, and agree, there are a lot of other forces at play besides just price alone. The quality of what they are selling (both food and merch) isn't on par with what they are charging. The fact you can get the same merchandise online with free shipping @disneystore.com (or walmart/target/ebay/other) for the same products the sell in the parks is a big reason we don't buy as much. Also, we always would by something resort specific, but since they don't offer that anymore, one less thing we buy. The entire "Disney Parks" thing is a big driver of "low increases".
I only buy merch if it's something special. The last things I bought in the parks were a WDW 40th anniversary T-Shirt (which is strangely branded with Disneyland as well as WDW. Thanks "Disney Parks") and a MK 40th Vinylmation (the only one I own and ever plan to own). More recently I bought that Maelstrom shirt off the Disney Store website. Nothing ever really captures my eye cause it's all so bland.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Midweek Musings II:

(EDITED FOR YOUR PROTECTION ... VERY QUICKLY!!! :) )

I often give tests in life. And when people fail them, I don't necessarily let them know with a giant red 'F' in a Sharpie on their paper. There are far better ways to deal with failure, so that it becomes a 'teaching' moment!

When last I was in this thread, we were talking about money and Disney dining and ... why the hell don't people just dine off-property or at the non-Disney owned and operated restaurants at WDW? This idea about whether Tables in Blunderland or the DDP are worth money sorta misses a fundamental point: why do you need to spend the $625 just to break even? Other than MK, it isn't that tough to leave and find better options quickly (DAK is best for this, Studios next). I just want to hear someone tell me that they don't come to WDW to eat McDonald's when they can have a totally (crappy) $11 burger at the ABC Commissary.

Emmys will have a special tribute to Robin Williams, fittingly given by his pal Billy Crystal. ... I do think all this talk about how shocking his demise and illness has been over the top. Tragic? Absolutely. But foreseeable? Yeah, as far back as his Mork days, one would have had to be blind to believe that he was well-balanced. Sadly, genius often isn't. (P.S. That doesn't make all the insane fanbois and Lifestylers geniuses!)

So, wound up at a Disney Store yesterday for the first time in 2014. It was eye-opening. My store was one of those hip projection tree with local 'artwork'/scenery on the walls, and has a more pleasant vibe than any version since the original ones from the 80s and early 90s. But it was like you were stepping into Bob Iger's wet dream. One IP after another. Planes, Cars, Marvel, Star Wars, Muppets, Princesses, Disney Junior ... and, of course, Frozen. So, if you want a Spidey tee, a Cars die-cast collection, a Mickey plush, a Star Wars iPhone case or even a Jungle Book mug (those will be on sale by next week, to be sure). Then it is the place for you.

The store also had the Tsum Tsum's that tsomepeoples (including Scarlett Litton) like. They had a big display in the back, but didn't see one person looking or buying beyond myself (the looking, I didn't buy a thing). I certainly get why they are big in Japan. Anything remotely cute (even that gal you met at the quickee mart and might pass if she lost 25 pounds and you ignored the back full of tatts and you were on Drink No. 3) is all the rage in that culture. I know Disney wants this to be the next Beanie Baby craze or else they wouldn't have 'convinced' Brooks Barnes to waste newsprint on it. ... I'm not so convinced.

Anybody sign up for that $400 VIP Food and Wine Screwing? Just asking ...

I am beyond disgusted by many things, including the way Sea World is handling its problems. I swear these companies sometimes look like they don't really care.

I am seriously contemplating contacting Michael Colglazier over bringing Fantasia ice cream back for DL's 60th next year.

OK ... let's see if there's a way of catching up here in 20 minutes ...

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 what do you think of the Paint the Night sneak peeks that have surfaced online? They're pretty stellar if you ask me.. Any news on Disneyland's version?

I have kept myself from viewing much because I hope to see it in person.

That said, I like the music a lot ... and the floats appear generally nice. I don't like the WDW model of seven floats ... 10-15 is what I'd like to see, but money was (and always with Disney is) an issue.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I make the money back by eating breakfast at the resorts where you don't pay a gratuity so you save a full 20%. We also saved on our mugs. Breakfast for four of us was around 40.00 per morning. We saved 8.00 per morning times 8 days. For our trip in May and June alone, we got all our money back. On top of that, we ate at Restaurantosaurus and Pizzafari at Animal Kingdom. We had friends with us for a total of 8 people. We saved a full 20% on those bills. So, all our table service amounts were like free money to us.

BUT if you aren't Mickey's prisoner and venture off-property (and even ... yikes!!!! ... stay off-property) an O-Town theme park vacation can be relatively inexpensive.

You don't have to be worried about how much money you are spending to save if you don't give Disney all that money to begin with!

WDW1974

Original Poster
However, AP holders and DVC members get a 10% discount at a number of restaurants. So depending on where you eat, you might only save an additional 10% on top of the discount you would have gotten anyway.

AP holders actually get 20% (same as TiW) at some locations ... like the Levy restaurants at DD for lunch.
I don't know if they are still doing so, but restaurants.com was selling $25 dining certificates for many Swan/Dolphin/DD locales for as little as $2-$5 for years as well (I don't know if they still are). Places from Shula's to Il Mulino to House of Blues.

There are plenty of options for eating well on Disney property (or very close by) without spending a fortune ... and DD and CityWalk have great options (the latter especially at prices you'd find at the typical TGI Fridays!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
You need to spend $500 at table service to make it worth it with an AP (I paid $100 for mine). I'll get the value out of it with a trip with 9 people. 2 meals pretty much covers it. Having said that, I can imagine that most people can't get that value out of it.

Yes, but that's because you choose to spend the $500 to begin with.

I can get $10,000 off if I buy an expensive car that costs $100,000 without even leaving my house. I'm not saving ten grand, I'm spending $90,000.

Would a meal (or eight) that aren't Disney dining ruin your MAGICal WDW vacation?

BTW, I need to let @WDWFigment have it since he penned a review talking about how MAGICal his meal at Cindy's Castle was ... a place I haven't been able to dine at for a decade since they ruined it and made it absurdly priced Princess dining all the time.

WDW1974

Original Poster
These wouldn't happen to have anything to do with what you were hinting at @WDW1974?

hkmsg_twams132_06.JPG

Andy Sinclair-Harris @1lowereastside · Aug 14
About to get a lot more 'chilly' at Hong Kong Disneyland...

After all, the train is still down for a while with Ironman and that would happen to be the last logical location to build an additional guest pathway below the tracks to access the expansion plots and build out fantasyland...

Perhaps I'm just reading into things too much and connecting a little too many dots...

Not at all, as you now know. But this will just be a meet-greet-and-grope unless Disney ponies up more $$$.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974

How much of Miceage's new article is true? The construction delays in Shanghai, pushing the opening back to possibly Summer 2016?

Resort opening in phases?

Namely- this??

I'd really appreciate your input... as I tend to trust you (and your fab sense of style) a bit more than Miceage/micechat....

Think I said this elsewhere, but I don't believe the park will open without largely being done (and I'm calling for a spring 2016 opening). They might delay 1-2 attractions, but not a substantial part of the park.

I do think you'll see their DD area as well as one hotel open much sooner, like fall or winter 2015, to build excitement for the project. It seems like all infrastructure do to do should be ready in the next calendar year.

WDW1974

Original Poster
speaking of rumors.. anyone knows about the rumours of the replacement of Wishes?

Yes, it's being worked on.

It should open in 2016 IF things keep on track ...

I know someone in marketing has mentioned that looking ahead they could pitch the summer of 2016 as one of those Disney Nights deals where they showcase products new and old ... IF the MK replacement and DAK's RoL are ready to debut.

(I can see Disney delaying one, so that they can again appear to be constantly opening/adding new product when they are doing nothing of the type).

WDW1974

Original Poster
Because they need something to hype. This is also part of why projects coming out of Walt Disney Imagineering cost so much. They paid people to develop a convoluted story that really means nothing since it will have no impact on content. Its a ridiculous way to justify their aesthetic choices.

Amen!!!

WDW1974

Original Poster
My bigger problem with the backstory for Disney Springs is that it is self negating. A backstory is to set up an environment by providing a foundation that can inform every aspect of design. Despite what a good many Disney fans like to say, strong fictional environments are grounded by rules and the backstory is the foundation for those rules. In Disney Springs it is all there to justify a contemporary setting that is far too open ended and almost anything will fit, the limits having more to do with traditional mall restrictions (giving tenants a level of exclusivity, nothing too alienating to a wide demographic, etc.)

So, so true.

WDI needs a backstory on a lifestyle (and Lifestyler) center because it justifies jobs for many individuals. Disney's STORY BS has become such a self-perpetuating, self-serving myth largely that only diehard fanbois and BRAND advocates pay attention.

I mean, what's the STORY behind placing Princess Tangled's Tower and Toilets into Liberty Square (please, no answer is needed!)

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I was told a long time ago by an old-timer in Ocala that Walt's original vision was a park in the Ocala area, and in fact had bought several parcels of land in that area. Seems to make some sense considering the Welcome area that was there for years. Can anyone back that up?

Looked into land in various areas in Florida. But once Walt decided it was happening there was only place that got the real attention -- and being at center of I-4, US 192 and close by (in the standards of the 60s when Kissimmee was a tiny cow town!) Florida's Turnpike made it the perfect place. ... I actually did quite a bit of research on the topic for a possible book about eight years ago and could give specifics, but don't have that on this computer.

Oh, and the Elias the Mailman deal ... nope, not going to go into that one now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom