The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

PeterAlt

Disney didn't pay for Euro Disney, they financed it and left the debt to Euro Disney SCA. Disney's holdings in Euro Disney SCA have always been less than 50%.
They owned more of it initially. They decreased their share during the restructuring. I don't care how they got the money. Financing or on-hand cash. Investment is investment whether or not it is financed, and it doesn't matter if it was done through a subsidiary (partly owned or fully owned) or through the mother corporation. What is their ownership stake in SDL?

PeterAlt

I don't care. Google it.
The whole point I was making (bringing this conversation full circle) is that SDL is a risky investment because (a) its cost is comparable to EuroDisney and (b) the Chinese real estate bubble.

Be it (and wisely so) that a good portion of that risk is offloaded to the Chinese government and cash in hand being used in Disney's investment share instead of financed capital as was the case in EuroDisney. It's still a big gamble, considering what that cash on-hand could have been spent on in the US.

lazyboy97o

That is not what I'm claiming but if you were to read first:

Buildings are defined by different types: residential, public, commercial, industrial, etc. There are requirements depending on types of buildings that are built next to each other ie. commercial and multi-storey car park. Between every singular mulit-storey car park depending on size and height you would require a form of boundary between them.

I grant you its different to you folks in the US, but I would not want to park a car in there at all.
The program or zoning really does not matter all that much. A concrete structure is not automatically unsafe because it is adjacent to another. And with a cursory look on Google I am seeing exactly what you say does not exist and is unsafe. Any time you see a parking garage attached to something like a store, office building, apartment building, or just wedged into a dense city street, you are seeing exactly what is being done at Walt Disney World. Would you say the garages at Universal Orlando Resort are unsafe?

I wasn't asking. I was making a point. Disney owns a far less percentage of SDL than it did initially with EuroDisney. So, multiplying the fractions representing percentage of initial ownership in both resorts and dividing the initial investments in both, you get a very comparable number because Disney owned more of EuroDisney initially than it does SDL.
That is simply not true. Disney owns 43% of the Shanghai Disney Resort.

They owned more of it initially. They decreased their share during the restructuring. I don't care how they got the money. Financing or on-hand cash. Investment is investment whether or not it is financed, and it doesn't matter if it was done through a subsidiary (partly owned or fully owned) or through the mother corporation. What is their ownership stake in SDL?
No, Disney has had less than 50% since the early 1990s.

Last edited:

SirLink

The program or zoning really does not matter all that much. A concrete structure is not automatically unsafe because it is adjacent to another. And with a cursory look on Google I am seeing exactly what you say does not exist and is unsafe. Any time you see a parking garage attached to something like a store, office building, apartment building, or just wedged into a dense city street, you are seeing exactly what is being done at Walt Disney World.

I'll let you believe what you want to.

PhotoDave219

I wasn't asking. I was making a point. Disney owns a far less percentage of SDL than it did initially with EuroDisney. So, multiplying the fractions representing percentage of initial ownership in both resorts and dividing the initial investments in both, you get a very comparable number because Disney owned more of EuroDisney initially than it does SDL.

Well learn what Google is and does.

lazyboy97o

Nope. Apart from the steel and brick cladding, and the fact we were talking about two multi-storey car parks which would require in the original photo of Disney's that where they touch would be one singular column.

I'm tired of arguing with a Yank.
The cladding is unimportant. Because of their different loads parking garages are going to have separate structures even when attached to other uses like a hotel. I do not get at all what you mean about needing a single column at Disney. I think you responded before I added it, but do you consider the garages at Universal Orlando Resort to be unsafe? Each of the two garages are similarly composed of three separate structures.

My being in the US has nothing to do with how things are built.

ABQ

My being in the US has nothing to do with how things are built.
Well, we "Yanks" would be the only ones dopey enough to post height limits in feet and inches, while everyone else would show metric.

Oh wait, the motherland is dopey enough to show both. Carry on.
Finsbury.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You are talking about a bridge that was 40+ years old to begin with and those gusset plates were improperly designed. Not quite the same as a new structure.

Guess we need to junk the Brooklin bridge it's old too..., Gusset plates were undersized for CURRENT load on bridge, Not DESIGN LOAD the engineer who certified the increased load should have his stamp pulled.

The gusset plates would not have failed if the static loading on the bridge was within the DESIGN LIMITS and inspections had been more than cursory visual inspections as the cracks would have been evident with Sonic/Magnetic/X-Ray inspection.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Has Pandora been delayed? I thought they said 2017

The internal date has always been 'fall 2017' but released to media as 'late 2017' ... BUT it does appear that instead of opening everything at once (including the night show and night KS rides) that they want to do it all one thing at a time and that will likely start as soon as 2016 with Rivers of Light and end as far out as 2019.

It's New Fantasyland BS all over again.

Can we get Thomas Smith over here for comments? (perhaps, with a lawyer or three surrounding his keyboard!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
$125 was my renewal..... But not this year.

That is totally insane, even if you live in O-Town. How much do you have to spend on overpriced Disney food and drink just to break even? And why would someone who lives in the area, with so many options for dining, want to eat that much there?

It was a great deal when it started ... and even got better as the price increased because more locations accepted it (when it began, only five locations at EPCOT accepted it). But for the last decade it has all been about raising the price of the offering, opening it to more people (first APers, then DVCers now ... anyone?)

I just don't get why anyone would want the thing. I gave up mine in 2008 and almost did the two years prior.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Fantasia ice cream that they used to have at Gibson Girl in DL?

YES! YES!! YES!!!
I truly hope that as part of DL's 60th Diamond Anniversary that they bring that stuff back.

When you had it you knew you were at DL and no place else in the world!

Originally, it was served at Carnation on Main Street (later Gibson Girl) and Carnation Plaza Gardens (there was a QSR there for years before they removed it and built the Rancho del Zocalo on the Frontierland side. When DCA opened, they also served in at Buuurrrbank Ice Cream. I think early in 2004 they stopped selling it and into history it went.

Mike S

The internal date has always been 'fall 2017' but released to media as 'late 2017' ... BUT it does appear that instead of opening everything at once (including the night show and night KS rides) that they want to do it all one thing at a time and that will likely start as soon as 2016 with Rivers of Light and end as far out as 2019.

Can we get Thomas Smith over here for comments? (perhaps, with a lawyer or three surrounding his keyboard!)
With how little they're doing in the parks it's no surprise they want to drag what little they're doing as much as possible to make it seem like they're doing something.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

2019??? That's 5 years from now:( Are you really hearing it's being pushed back that far? Did they run into some construction issues already?

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 @PhotoDave219

With the American Film Institute shop and exhibit closing this upcoming Sunday any word on where they are going to now move all the items relocated to the AFI shop from Sid Cahuenga's or where the Exhibit wares are going if anywhere at all?

Wonder what they are going to do with this area or if they are just starting to clean house for the future. For now they are saying the Backlot Tour will continue but just end with guests disembarking from the tram.

I'd guess some of the merchandise will wind up at Art of Disney locations, while most will wind up being sold off at Property Control and, eventually, the Disney outlet stores around Florida.

The exhibits are all borrowed, so they'll go back to the folks/orgs that own them.

WDW1974

Original Poster
D23 is having "Destination D: Attraction Rewind" in Orlando in November of this year, at the Contemporary Hotel in fact!

Well, that was after they scheduled it for the last weekend in July and announced it to the public prompting many people to buy airline tix and make plans. Then, they realized that no one (the folks like Marty and Tony and, even, PR guru Tim O'Day) were willing to fly to O-Town FOR FREE for an event during the worst weather of the year.

So, they quickly shifted it to the weekend before Thanksgiving.

But D23 is largely west-coast based and always will be, even if they have an event at a Disney Store in Kansas or a Guardians of the Galaxy movie meet up in Boston etc ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom