The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Nubs70

Or the economy is no where near where it is reported to be. When a significant number of full time jobs get switched to part time jobs (another reason for the push to up the minimum wage) to dodge a particular law, peoples discretionary income drops and a place like Orlando will feel it all the way through the cycle until things actually get better.
There was just an article in The New York Times stating the average household income in the USA has dropped from 80k to 50k.

bhg469

Yeah, but is your media renewable? Or 'rechargable'? You're kind of apples and oranges.
All media is.. it is just a code that matches to a database. We can make your ticket to a sporting event, tie into your parking and have a stored value for buying food or merchandise. It's not just getting you through a gate. They aren't doing anything in wdw that mlb hasn't been doing for a few years.

All that is renewable if the client wants it. Some teams have one card for their season ticket instead of a book of tickets.

To make things even more difficult, we actually make all this work with different vendors. IE consessions, operations, parking etc.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
All media is.. it is just a code that matches to a database. .

Exactly - external lookup. No lookup... Them how do you know it's expired without using media with writable storage? To make media both rechargeable and expiring and independently validated... It would have to be writable

bhg469

Exactly - external lookup. No lookup... Them how do you know it's expired without using media with writable storage? To make media both rechargeable and expiring and independently validated... It would have to be writable
For entrance it's all the scanners talking to each other, constantly updating validation, but the stored value stuff will not work, there is no way to. But the point is, we have all these systems working at once. The attendance part will always work. Disney was accepting expired tickets? It should not happen regardless of how many other systems use that ticket.

The ticket itself doesn't need writable storage. It's just a code.. if the code isn't valid it doest work. Not hard to make that happen. All the codes constantly update. If you stand next to me, scan a ticket, my scanner knows it's no longer good.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The ticket itself doesn't need writable storage. It's just a code.. if the code isn't valid it doest work. Not hard to make that happen. All the codes constantly update. If you stand next to me, scan a ticket, my scanner knows it's no longer good.

Yes - when you have external lookup. When the lookup is broken... How do you propose the validate media that is nothing but a unique id ?

bhg469

Yes - when you have external lookup. When the lookup is broken... How do you propose the validate media that is nothing but a unique id ?
The scanner has its own memory. It knows what is valid even when it's cut off from the server. There are drawbacks like new sales don't show up but there are ways to force new tickets through.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The scanner has its own memory. It knows what is valid even when it's cut off from the server. There are drawbacks like new sales don't show up but there are ways to force new tickets through.

Caching can work for an event - or simpler scenarios but disney's is far more complex. Without external lookup The scanner isn't going to cache every Disney ticket ever sold... It can't know if the ticket was used at another park... How many uses it has left...It can't know if an old ticket has been reset... Etc

An event has a fixed ticket dictionary... A finite data set minus some exceptions like pass holders, etc. that is something you can preload or cache.

Disney can validate the media as genuine - but it can't practically have the terminals validate the token's entitlements without a lookup service.

DisneyDad1977

How did things go? You safely out of Ukraine with child?
Made it out several weeks ago with all but one of the children but had to return for a court date to get approval for the last child. Got back late Friday and can return to Ukraine for my final trip on September 1st.

We all complain about courts and lawyers here but nothing compares to the same experience in a foreign country where the vast majority of the laws still stink of Soviet-era patronage and corruption.

Thanks to all of you for helping to keep me sane and offering some human contact. Well, maybe sane isn't the right term.......

Mike S

Watches Gaurdians of the Galaxy. Brother spoils after credits scene literally 1 minute before I can see it for myself.
image.jpg
Loved the movie btw.

Mouse Trap

Or the economy is no where near where it is reported to be. When a significant number of full time jobs get switched to part time jobs (another reason for the push to up the minimum wage) to dodge a particular law, peoples discretionary income drops and a place like Orlando will feel it all the way through the cycle until things actually get better.

It's very, very unlikely we've received false economic reports.

Salaries have been roughly at the same levels since before the recession, which really isn't good, they should be quite a bit higher given how far removed we are from it.

GDP was reported at pleasing 4% recently, and with major corporations beating expectations in revenues and profits, hopefully we common folk can see some more sunshine soon.

Nemo14

Made it out several weeks ago with all but one of the children but had to return for a court date to get approval for the last child. Got back late Friday and can return to Ukraine for my final trip on September 1st.

We all complain about courts and lawyers here but nothing compares to the same experience in a foreign country where the vast majority of the laws still stink of Soviet-era patronage and corruption.

Thanks to all of you for helping to keep me sane and offering some human contact. Well, maybe sane isn't the right term.......
God bless you!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It's very, very unlikely we've received false economic reports.

Salaries have been roughly at the same levels since before the recession, which really isn't good, they should be quite a bit higher given how far removed we are from it.

GDP was reported at pleasing 4% recently, and with major corporations beating expectations in revenues and profits, hopefully we common folk can see some more sunshine soon.
Not to turn this overly political but economic reports are tools of politicians. I will just leave it at that.

the.dreamfinder

Studio Ghibli has announced that it is shutting down their production arm and shifting into just managing the IP they've created over the years. Serious end of an era.
Re. Ghibli: The studio is being retooled from "Walt" centric model, where Miyazaki directed all of the big features, to more of a Pixar model with plans to bring in new talent. As a result, they don't have any plans to release any films for the time being. You're referring to a poorly translated Tumblr post from a press conference Ghibli GM Toshio Suzuki gave and folks misconstruing statements made in the documentary "Kingdom of Dreams and Madness" by Miyazaki San where he indicated he wanted to shut down Ghibli which was also presented as reality.

Here's an article with a clearer articulation of the announcement.
http://www.slashfilm.com/studio-ghibli-closed/

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom