The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

DinoInstitute

So did anyone see the new iPhone app called "MagicBand Budget?"
Interesting...
For $2.99 you can track your spending! Maybe if enough people buy it, they will be able to afford to buy an actual magicband for their ads!
ibtXqpVcSe1Fw4.png
iPI6ElFKe6gKN.png

*not an official Disney app.
It is pretty pointless as it doesn't even connnect to your magic band...you have to manually enter the prices

Gomer

So in the end I'm still left wondering what can they do. What additional screening can be implemented reliably? I just don't know.

To me, I don’t see any 100% reliable solution. Disney offers the illusion of security in their romanticized version of reality. But it is just an illusion. The real world is there whether we want to see it or not. And the real world is dangerous and contains many sick people. This story doesn’t make me trust Disney less. It just reminds me that the only person responsible for my children’s safety is me, and that I need to be just as vigilant in protecting them from bad people in Disney World as I am anywhere else. There are people in Disney world. And where there are people, bad things will happen. Disney should be doing all they can to make as safe an environment as possible. The general tone of that story seems to imply that they are, but I’ll leave that to others with more inside information than I to judge. If Disney is lax in their vetting processes in any way, they should be condemned for it.

But for those of us with no control of how Disney vets their employees, we can take control of our own safety by just being aware and not relying on Disney to be solely responsible for our children’s security. I hope this story stays with me, so that I am reminded how keen an eye I need to keep on my kids on my next trip. I'm just as guilty as the next guy of being lulled into the sense of false security that Disney World provides. And this is a good reminder that reality seeps in, even in the DIsney bubble.

Cesar R M

I'd like to add four points. 1) You should give me warning before joining, since I spend most of my time bad-mouthing everyone and need time to purge my posts. However, that may not be necessary since as near as I can tell most of you morons don't know how to do a simple search. 2) The annual rate, $50/year is a slight discount off the monthly rate. However, as far as I know, I'm the only one smart enough to sign up for the $40,000/millenium rate. That's only 40 bucks/year suckers! 3) Just like out here, many like spirit and many don't. 4) It is in the PML that you can watch videos of "future attractions" thanks to my time travel device.
zufLMZS.gif

Nemo14

Other than the CM from Port Orleans using his work computer for this stuff, I didn't see any reports of workplace behavior that would have alerted the company there was anything amiss with these people.

I believe this was already pointed out but no one had a criminal record so I background check would have been useless.

This is one of those slippery slope issues because just the accusation of being a predator is enough to ruin someone. If polygraphs are implemented, a false positive could be enough to hurt an innocent person.

So in the end I'm still left wondering what can they do. What additional screening can be implemented reliably? I just don't know.

I meant to bring this up last night, but I got caught up in some family issues here. As I said before, I'm a retired teacher, and I've seen the gamut of these types of situations, some that I'll never forget. But I also recall 2 incidences where students accused a teacher and an administrator of molesting them, neither of which was true. The truth finally came out months later (in both cases it was a matter of retaliation), but in both cases it left some pretty ugly scars to some very good people. I also taught in a school once where male teachers were not allowed to comment on the length of girls' shorts or skirts, but when one female friend of mine tried to discreetly discuss the dress code violations with one of her students, she was immediately dragged through the mud as a lesbian, a pervert, a molestor, etc. to the point where she had to transfer to a different school district to get away from the reputation she had so wrongly acquired.

stevehousse

I think the main thing we can come off of the CNN story is that in today's society, no where is safe from predators and we just need to keep an extra eye on our children no matter where we go whether it's the local mall or magic kingdom...I don't see how much more we can really dig into the topic any more than that...

So what's new at the world???

PhotoDave219

They're reporting on a problem and failed to mention a recent incident. Kudos to them for reporting on a problem, but let's not pretend CNN did a great job on this either. If you're criticizing Fan Bois for having their head in the sand, you can't then argue what a great job of reporting this was. Most of this could have been done with anyone that has a Lexus Nexus account.

Anyone with a Lexus Nexus act could have done a better job.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The reason I don't find it completely fair is that employees across the board in all industries, family focused or not, are dealing with this problem.

Using the theme park industry as its example is, however an easy way to draw a ton of attention to it.

But theme parks are not just attention grabbing. A pediphile working as an assembly line worker is not the same as a pedophile working the call center gathering children's personal info... Or the guy cleaning the locker room... Etc

There is merit to highlighting roles at theme parks because they are congregating points for families... And in the case of Disney, an environment know for its perception of bubble of safety from reality.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I meant to bring this up last night, but I got caught up in some family issues here. As I said before, I'm a retired teacher, and I've seen the gamut of these types of situations, some that I'll never forget. But I also recall 2 incidences where students accused a teacher and an administrator of molesting them, neither of which was true. The truth finally came out months later (in both cases it was a matter of retaliation), but in both cases it left some pretty ugly scars to some very good people. I also taught in a school once where male teachers were not allowed to comment on the length of girls' shorts or skirts, but when one female friend of mine tried to discreetly discuss the dress code violations with one of her students, she was immediately dragged through the mud as a lesbian, a pervert, a molestor, etc. to the point where she had to transfer to a different school district to get away from the reputation she had so wrongly acquired.

Post of the Day!

cheezbat

Anyone who lives in the area knows these stories run on local Orlando area TV all the time. It was only a matter of time before one of the nationals picked up on it. 74 is very modest, as we all know. But he really can't claim credit for giving this to CNN.
I think this is why I'm kind of like 'whatever' in this matter. I know it sounds bad...but we hear about sexual predators all the time. Having lived in Polk County for twelve years I heard all about Grady Judd's sting operations practically monthly.
I agree This whole thing is a problem, but thirty pages of it on a Spirited thread which normally cover more news and rumors is a lot. I think we've covered it. Yeah Disney wants to sweep it under the rug. Sickening of them to do so. I'm hoping they get more info about the Imagineers and the Bryan Singer stuff out there too while they're covering it.

Okay...now that that's all said....can we move on to this 'news' Spirit? Please?

flynnibus

Premium Member
They sound completely irrational and no way will Disney take them seriously as long as they act that way.

It's what happens when people have free time to throw at something... But no actual skill at organizing opposition or motivating others. They just kick and scream louder and more frequently than the next guy

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom