The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
If you want to talk about the Harry Potter Effect, here is an example. The Contemporary is at 60% occupancy during the summer, the week after July 4th. This is what has Disney worried. Not attendance, well not attendance yet. ;)

Did you gather this information using @George's scientific theory? It has to do with types of cars in the parking lot multiplied by how many total cars divided by square footage. Or something.

GeneralZod

Let's be real. Even if WDW built 5 great e-tickets overnight, it is not going to make me spend the ungodly amount that they charge for a night at the Contemporary.
Legitimate question here... I see this a lot on these boards and always wonder if people just don't travel much and have no concept of how much decent hotels cost or if they stay at motels and that is their only comparison. For instance, I recently stayed at a hotel in Dallas and it was $279/night; I am booked for San Fran soon and it is going to run me $550/night. When you put that into perspective, I really don't understand the constant complaining about a deluxe hotel costing $325/night. I can't even stay at a best western for less that $120 and that certainly is not within walking distance of one of the largest amusement destinations of the world.

So what am I missing?

Nemo14

Legitimate question here... I see this a lot on these boards and always wonder if people just don't travel much and have no concept of how much decent hotels cost or if they stay at motels and that is their only comparison. For instance, I recently stayed at a hotel in Dallas and it was $279/night; I am booked for San Fran soon and it is going to run me $550/night. When you put that into perspective, I really don't understand the constant complaining about a deluxe hotel costing $325/night. I can't even stay at a best western for less that $120 and that certainly is not within walking distance of one of the largest amusement destinations of the world.

So what am I missing?

Deluxe quality?

Bolna

So what am I missing?

That the Contemporary cannot be had for $325 per night. The lowest rate in a Garden Wing Standard View room is $378, if you want to sleep in a Tower Room (Bay Lake View) tonight it would be $583.

And that while in the rest of Orlando, hotels are actually very affordable.

PrincessNelly_NJ

So what am I missing?
Have you seen the GF remodel? It looks like the Best Western. If only it was priced as such!

bhg469

So what am I missing?
Luxury hotels are much better than what Disney is offering for 4-6 hundred per night. The proximity to a theme park is maybe worth 50 bucks more than a doubletree but you're paying a lot more than that.

The values are sometimes above 150 and moderates are over 200..

Neither of those level hotels are even close to those asking prices. My last visit was to cbr.. it was worse than the all stars.

GeneralZod

That the Contemporary cannot be had for $325 per night. The lowest rate in a Garden Wing Standard View room is $378, if you want to sleep in a Tower Room (Bay Lake View) tonight it would be $583.

And that while in the rest of Orlando, hotels are actually very affordable.
I can book it right now for $336 according to Disney's webpage and that is without any offers (as far as I know without doing any real work).

So the argument is that hotels not on Disney Property are cheaper so Disney should price theirs according to the local competition and not compete with other travel destinations?

bhg469

I can book it right now for $336 according to Disney's webpage and that is without any offers (as far as I know without doing any real work).

So the argument is that hotels not on Disney Property are cheaper so Disney should price theirs according to the local competition and not compete with other travel destinations?
Disney world is not a luxury vacation nor is it a premium market. Their occupancy shows that they are pricing themselves out of the market.

EpcoTim

So what am I missing?

Orlando isn't San Fran or New York or any other big city? Disney's deluxe rooms are equivalent to a Holiday Inn Express but in a more unique building and with some cool amenities.

Soarin' Over Pgh

If you want to talk about the Harry Potter Effect, here is an example. The Contemporary is at 60% occupancy during the summer, the week after July 4th. This is what has Disney worried. Not attendance, well not attendance yet. ;)

Not many people are willing to fork over the hundreds of dollars per night.

If Disney were smart, they'd recognize this, and either lower room rates, or deeply discount them, or add on some 'bonuses' for staying at that resort, whether it's more FP+ options, free table service dinners, or something... something to get people to think that it's worth the huge upcharge.

randyrut

The contemporary is the closest thing to a real deluxe room I've stayed at while at Disney. Big room, comfy bed.

Did it compare to the Westin Copley Square in boston? Sorta.

Is it worth $300+ a night? Nope. Is anything in Orlando? Not really.

We stay at the Contemporary every trip we take. The rooms are quite upscale. The bathrooms are nice. The beds are extremely comfortable. The restaurants are all excellent. The views are great. The monorail saves us a crazy amount of time. And the location with regards to the MK is unbeatable. Is it worth the money that they ask? No, but I dont think any of their prices are reasonable. But I will tell you that this hotel makes my trip a million times more enjoyable than when I stayed at the All-Star. Do we spend too much? Yep. Would I go back to a value resort because of that? Only if my household income fell. But if that happened, I would be going to OCMD and not Disney anyway.

seascape

Did you gather this information using @George's scientific theory? It has to do with types of cars in the parking lot multiplied by how many total cars divided by square footage. Or something.
His post did not deserve a reply. No one would believe that number. Look at the hotel occupancy for Orlando. The Lake Buena Vista area of Orange county had a year to date hotel occupancy ratge of 86.5% through April 2014. In fact Metro Orlando as a whole occupancy was 78.8% occupancy. If you could possibly believe a 60% rate for the week they would have to be crazy. Maybe on night in the summer but no way a whole week. The public numbers clearly show hotel occupancy is way up this year and so is price per room. Theme park attendance is also rising. The way to see if a park is hurting is are they cutting back park hours. In Disney's case every park except Epcot has longer hours this summer and in fact for the rest of the year. That indicates hotel occupancy is very strong through the end of the year. I am not sure but I would expect Universal also is increasing park hours since their attendance should be way up also.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.

Not agreeing with many others on this board, just trying to clarify where I think they are coming from... Area hotels are much cheaper than Disney's and their perceived value is much less than the price.

IMO, the Deluxe are fairly nice rooms with good (not great) service and access to prime areas of the resort with little to no effort which to me translates to location, location, location. Disney can charge what they do because guests pay it for the location and theming, we do and do not find the deluxe resort prices out of control especially when compared to others I have stayed at in larger cities. While the room appointments may not truly compare to a 5-star hotel, they are very nice, generally clean and are in locations that are so convenient and close to our main destination they are worth the extra cost to us. Sometimes many on this board forget that most of the nicer hotels charge for WiFi, parking and the parks charge for parking which easily translates into another $40 per day or more.

For less that $5000 we are staying 16 nights in AKL (7), YC (7) and POR (2) for our summer vacation with a QS dining plan (I know the QS doesn't save any $$$, my wife likes not dealing with the food tabs and my son eats, eats, eats.) I could save money by staying off-site and driving in each morning and such. I absolutely HATE driving while I am on vacation (I drive too much as it is) which would result in us taking taxis at $40 or so per way each day and are a pain the rear too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom