The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

lebeau

Star Wars land will be successful as it has the Nostalgia factor. People around grandparent and older parents will take their kids to show them the IT series of their time and to be able to experience it and share that with their loved ones just like most millennials will share Harry Potter with their kids and so on. However, just because a series reboots into cartoons doesn't mean it will be as picked up as in the past generations, a great example of that is Star Trek.

Just like how nostalgia and grandparents made The Lone Ranger such a big hit at the box office.

twebber55

I'm a college student in my 20's, Ill take this opportunity and speak for my age group...

I've met more people my age group that love it, than dont care for it.
I think liking the movies and going out to buy merch are two different things
Star Wars land will be successful as it has the Nostalgia factor. People around grandparent and older parents will take their kids to show them the IT series of their time and to be able to experience it and share that with their loved ones just like most millennials will share Harry Potter with their kids and so on. However, just because a series reboots into cartoons doesn't mean it will be as picked up as in the past generations, a great example of that is Star Trek.
star wars land will be successful/huge hit if done right and not cheaped out

Cesar R M

Not only is Transformers over 2 Billion off the pace of toppling Avatar, there has already been speculation that Paramount inflated the opening-weekend box office numbers, and that they were actually less than the $100+ million that was being reported.
bayformers seems insane worldwide.. nearly 200mil in china alone.

(edit, I see someone else posted it before, sorry )

TP2000

I find it interesting, and quite telling, that we no longer hear anyone use the term "Potter Swatter". That battle is over, and Disney didn't win it.

Seriously, remember three or four years ago when people would use the Potter Swatter phrase while working under an assumption that Disney would very soon come out swinging with amazing new E Tickets and cutting edge developments for the parks to counter a resurgent Universal Studios? I remember that. And people no longer make that assumption, or utter the words Potter Swatter.

Last edited:

FrankLapidus

I'm a college student in my 20's, Ill take this opportunity and speak for my age group...

I've met more people my age group that love it, than dont care for it.

I don't fall into either demographic and I love Star Wars, always have. All of my closest friends, male and female and none of whom fall into those demographics, love Star Wars.

Saying Star Wars is more for under-10's and over-35's is one of the oddest claims I've seen in a while. I've never been to a SWW myself but I would imagine there are plenty of people between the ages of 10 and 35 who turn up at DHS because they love Star Wars.

ABQ

Tell me about it.

She's horrified because our 9-year-old daughter is starting to get into Star Wars and our 5-year-old daughter loves Wonder Woman.
Tell your wife not to worry about the 9 year old, she'll outgrow the Star Wars thing by the time she's 11. I read it on the internet that only children under 10 are into it. ;) Sorry @twebber55 I couldn't resist using that data there. :p

Mouse Trap

Yeah, but it has the risk of another jarjar binks.. I really hope they do not fall for the same dumb mistake.

33bfccfe9832e07fd38ea61ea52b84bd97ed82c9c6f50fce4a5944774e0fe5c7.jpg

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The merchandise is way more lucrative than the film itself. Lucas forsaw this when he made the original trilogy, opting for less $$$ in exchange for higher royalties from merch and licensing.
It almost feels like they tried too hard with the last 3 installments to create characters and items specifically for merch sales. The original films had excellent options for toys and such because perhaps they didnt TRY to design them specifically to be sold as merch. Aside from different types of lightsabers, not much was as cool from the latest installments as what the first 3 episodes offered. IMO of course.

PeterAlt

Didn't you pick the Robocop movie as a breakout hit at the box office?

Edit: Here we go:

Sorry, dude. Not putting a lot of faith in your box office predictions.
That was something I said after I saw the pre-release
screening and did not think that way going into it.

EDIT: I stand by my statement.

Travel Junkie

To recap the last few pages for those just tuning in:

People found the Google trends button

In another installment of Disney vs Uni, today’s episode is: Who had bigger new attraction opening days?

And of course we can’t have a thread without having some predictions. Currently it’s which movie will be bigger Avatar 2 or Star Wars VII. The answer is they will both make a crap load of money.

Mouse Trap

I find it interesting, and quite telling, that we no longer hear anyone use the term "Potter Swatter" any more. That battle is over, and Disney didn't win it.

Seriously, remember three or four years ago when people would use the Potter Swatter phrase while working under an assumption that Disney would very soon come out swinging with amazing new E Tickets and cutting edge developments for the parks to counter a resurgent Universal Studios? I remember that. And people no longer make that assumption, or utter the words Potter Swatter.

There is no battle. Both parks have seen increases in attendance, in park spending, you name it. Uni fought the "battle", and Disney reaped the (much smaller) spoils of war.

PeterAlt

He was going to make Spider-man for a long time too. Don't count your chickens. It may never happen.
Well that wasn't his baby. He actually wrote the script and handed it off to the studio that found another writer to finish the script. He said the only way someone else would do Battle Angle would be to "pry it out from his dead cold hands"!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom