The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

lebeau

The next movie to beat Avatar in the box office will be Anita: Battle Angel.

I will bet money on that. That's assuming that the Avatar sequels won't do better than the original.

Didn't you pick the Robocop movie as a breakout hit at the box office?

Edit: Here we go:

Talking about Avatar, last night, I attended a preview of Robocop. No complaints. Very, very good. Very entertaining. It is going to be a blockbuster, comparable to Avatar.

Sorry, dude. Not putting a lot of faith in your box office predictions.

Last edited:

NormC

Haha
Do me a favor and go to any high school or kiddle school of your choice and let me know how how many star wars t shirt
There are more Star Wars shirts at my daughters' schools than Harry Potter and Avatar together. There is more Doctor Who than either of them as well. Lots of Batman and Captain America as well.

Stevek

I don't blame her if her first experience of Star Wars was the Phantom Menace. Tell her that after Jar Jar Binks, it really can only get better.
Living with me, she knows all about the original trilogy...she just doesn't have any real desire to watch a gain. She's more of a Nicolas Sparks or comedy kinda moviegoer versus anything sci-fi.

lebeau

Actually most studios fudge box office numbers, especially in Paramount's case since 9 figures looks a lot more promising than 8. It's never an exact science. And it's known throughout Hollywood that this happens. This one simply got more attention than others.

Nikki Finke called BS on her former employer Deadline for inflating what is a common practice. Deadline hung its head in shame.

http://nikkifinke.com/oh-grow-theres-box-office-controversy-every-week-just-transformers-4/

NormC

However when Star Wars Land is built in DHS there will be a huge Death Star pavilion. It will be amazing for about 13 months and then it will break. WDW will put a strobe light on it and hope that The Force will repair the damage.
And then they will move the BAH in front of it.

ABQ

There are more Star Wars shirts at my daughters' schools than Harry Potter and Avatar together. There is more Doctor Who than either of them as well. Lots of Batman and Captain America as well.
The Doctor will always been strong in New England as so many of you parental types get all nostalgic about watching the old series on WGBH and watch the new series on BBC with your kiddos.

PeterAlt

Assuming it ever goes into production. Hasn't that thing been pushed back since the moment Cameron wrote the script?
There's been several revisions of the script, which Cameron is co-author of. Preproduction art began before Avatar's preproduction began in the 2000's, and has continued non-stop. Both Cameron and his producer have confirmed that actual production work will begin after the Avatar prequel is completed. There's 3 Avatar sequels and 1 prequel being filmed back to back. Once those 4 films are finished, production is scheduled to begin on Anita: Battle Angel. Rumor has it that the budget will be double that of Avatar's, which explains all the Avatar sequels - he needs that money for Battle Angel.

I'd say Cameron has lost his mind, but no studio would take the kind of risks he's willing to take. More power to him. I hope he succeeds!

Quinnmac000

Star Wars land will be successful as it has the Nostalgia factor. People around grandparent and older parents will take their kids to show them the IT series of their time and to be able to experience it and share that with their loved ones just like most millennials will share Harry Potter with their kids and so on. However, just because a series reboots into cartoons doesn't mean it will be as picked up as in the past generations, a great example of that is Star Trek.

WildcatDen

So, any truth that Universal has or is getting the rights to Star Blazers? Can you imagine the Space Battle Ship Argo. That Wave motion gun, if functional, may be able to defeat the Death Star, functional or not. Paging Derek Wildstar, can you play nice with a boy Wizard?

Cesar R M

If Disney films such as Alice in Wonderland, 2 Pirates of the Caribbean films, Toy Story 3, Avengers, Iron Man 3, and Frozen all made over 1 Billion in the last few years... I have no doubt Star Wars 7 will accomplish this as well.

How far up the chart it goes after 1 Billion is yet to be seen.

Adjusted for inflation Star Wars: A New Hope is very close to Avatar:

Star Wars: $2,710,800,000

If it's as monumental as the original (which I doubt) combined with the extra cost of 3d and imax, it has a chance.
Yeah, but it has the risk of another jarjar binks.. I really hope they do not fall for the same dumb mistake.

khale1970

I want to mention something about Harry Potter, and why Universal is at an advantage going forward.

I don't know what the Star Wars target audience age was....Harry Potter was first written for children around 8 and up from what I know.

Things that we first experience around that age have more importance to us than things later on...the same way Disney was introduced to millions of children, who now go back and take their children when they grow up.

Although I am a grown man, there was a recent event that drove home the point to me. When I was young, there was a cartoon on Nickelodeon called "The Mysterious Cities of Gold"....great show, had one season and went off the air.

About 2 years ago, (30 years since the first season ended)....the show's producers came back to the original story and characters and made a NEW second season.

The moment I heard the news, I literally cried. It was an amazing thought that people enjoyed the show as much as I did, would bring a 30 year old dead series back and instead of re-starting it, or forgetting the first one ever existed...added to it, so the story continued.

If I had been 15 or 16 when the series first came out, I don't think I would have had that reaction.

I was 7 when the first Star Wars movie came out. It was huge with both boys and girls in elementary school. Then again, the cultural impact across the age spectrum was incredible. Nothing out of Hollywood will ever recreate that. It may not be bigger than Potter now, but Potter never has and never will match the Star Wars mania of 1977 to 1983.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom