The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

truecoat

Just can't take it anymore, I have to chime in too.

In theory, there are tremendous benefits that COULD result in increased revenue and profit performance at WDW with thoughtful and successful implementation of the MagicBand system. And, since I am far from being an insider, in fact I'm nothing more than a long-time visitor that is crazy enough to go back now and again, I'm not basing what I have to say on anything but my own opinions.

Want me to visit WDW and spend more time and money shopping? Want more money out of my wallet, period? Use the MBs to manage the logistical side of bus transportation. Install some readers (if you haven't already) at the bus stops at the resorts...and you'll be able to get people where they want to go in a shorter period of time. How about when guests are exiting the parks? Use those readers under the MK train station to proactively allocate buses based on the number of guests that are exiting, and whether or not they arrived by bus (for instance...I hate the buses so much that we've just stopped flying to WDW and instead drive so we can have the use of our car), and get people back to their resort. Maybe if you save enough of the guests time, they'll stop in the restaurants/food courts/gift shops, or even switch to the Downtown Disney bus and head out for more shopping and dining.

Another way to get me to spend more money...make the bands with better chips (or whatever they're called) in them...either a bit bigger, or heck, maybe even put them in multiple locations on the band. When we were there last year, I had to take the crazy thing off more often than not to get it to work well. Who knows, maybe I'm just not coordinated enough, but it was just so damned awkward. Of course, ours never actually worked for charging...and I guess since I spent a WHOLE LOT LESS than usual, I should be thankful. :) In any case, if we go back it'll be interesting to see if they are any better this time.

Now...all that being said...are you listening WDW?...if you REALLY want to get more of my money, then respond in some significant way to what's happening up the road. Go big or go home. For the first time ever, our next plan involves going to Universal. I've even become a fan of Kings' Dominion as of late, just cause it's closer to home, clean, fun, and affordable, but out of all of the big trips I've ever taken to vacation in or near theme parks, most have all been to go to WDW. Been going since 1978. More times than I can even count anymore. And I really love the place, love the memories that we've made, and love taking my DD there (of course, she is now their target demographic)...but, I want more. WDW keeps charging more, and I want more for that. In the absence of that, now our vacations will be split. And, let me tell you straight up, if Uni is as good as we think it might be, I could easily see our future trips bringing less and less time at WDW and more at the other parks around there.

Anyway, it seems to me that we're stuck with the pile of crap called MM+, MB, NGE, etc. It's not gonna go away...they have too much into it now financially, and unfortunately, investing in this kind of tech in a world where technology continues to become obsolete at a mind-numbing pace, is just poor decision making on their part. There's just no good way for them any longer to be able to afford to keep this beast running AND simultaneously invest large sums of cash into groundbreaking, awesome attractions. Well, at least that's my take on it. I agree with @ParentsOf4 that it'll be at least a year until we see if it's positively impacting revenue...but I bet until then we'll hear on those conference calls that Iger and Rasulo will continue to politely dodge the questions.

I think I either need a break from this until @WDW1974 decides to return, or I need to have a really strong drink. Maybe both!! Nah, I'll keep reading, as I still have plenty of popcorn handy. Just had to jump in with my two cents.

If people from Disney are reading this forum as @WDW1974 says they do, they should be very afraid of posts like this. This is coming from a long time visitor who is making a permanent change to his vacation habits. This is your core audience telling you it's time to change.

PeterAlt

If people from Disney are reading this forum as @WDW1974 says they do, they should be very afraid of posts like this. This is coming from a long time visitor who is making a permanent change to his vacation habits. This is your core audience telling you it's time to change.
Everyone should click like to that post to show Disney our solidarity!

jt04

I thought the SW land project for HS was cancelled and has been replaced with a SW makeover of TL, similar to what DL may be getting?

This has not been announced but may be in the mix now. Blus Sky Cellar opens in about 3 weeks at DCA. Perhaps that will shed some light.

I am sticking to my theory that DHS has Hyperion Wharf Syndrome. No major expansion is possible without addressing the parking situation.

And this sums up why we are where we are with WDW expansion. Epcot is the next logical place to watch for major announcements.

IMO.

PeterAlt

This has not been announced but may be in the mix now. Blus Sky Cellar opens in about 3 weeks at DCA. Perhaps that will shed some light.

I am sticking to my theory that DHS has Hyperion Wharf Syndrome. No major expansion is possible without addressing the parking situation.

And this sums up why we are where we are with WDW expansion. Epcot is the next logical place to watch for major announcements.

IMO.
What is Hyperion Wharf Syndrome?

They could build a garage and/or share parking with EC somewhere in the middle, but I've said this a million times now and everyone is probably sick of hearing it from me. I'll keep saying it until Disney takes ownership of it. So, I'm actually saying it to Disney for all of us.

EC needs a lot of work. I know Disney knows this as well. I would like to put them on notice that an ostrich policy won't fix the problem. Only capital will. Universal and Comcast knows this too well.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I know they will try to credit all increases in spending to next gen but as I said you really can't. There are too many variables. Now just think I believe it's working but stating is hard to prove. I would have expected some people to jump in and agree with me as it's more proof next gen doesn't work. But only Disney will know for sure but they will also claim increased attendance on next gen. One thing is certain attendance is going up this year and it will be higher than was thought a year ago. Disney can thank universal, Frozen and the better economy which the top third of the country are seeing. Record stock prices and higher property values. The travel industry and tourism will set records in 2015.

"Chief Financial Officer Jay Rasulo said that by getting guests to plan ahead, they're less likely to be enticed by other parks and tourist offerings when they set foot in Orlando, Fla., where the park is located.

We have known for a really long time that getting our visitors to Walt Disney World to make decisions about where they spend their time before they leave home is a powerful driver of visits per guest. When they get into the Orlando market and their time isn't yet planned, they can be subject to everything you see down there, which is a lot of in-city marketing for all the many products that people have put there to basically bleed off the feed that we fundamentally motivate.

So if we can get people to plan their vacation before they leave home, we know that we get more time with them."

Well if that was the goal all along, Universal is going to make sure that doesn't happen, at least this summer!
Quite a few guest booking those 4 night minimum WWoHP packages!

bhg469

Great article, the comments are priceless :hilarious: Pixie Dusters never fail to entertain.
Omg!

This gem:

"i hope the author does realize that Disney announced not long ago it was closing Indiana Jones and American Idol experience to expand its Star Wars section inside Hollywood Studios... Harry Potter is a huge franchise but Star Wars is even bigger... Comcast is going to barely make a scuff mark"

Must be a post from the future because to my knowledge, nothing has been announced, only fan forum dribble with no actual truth.

seascape

"Chief Financial Officer Jay Rasulo said that by getting guests to plan ahead, they're less likely to be enticed by other parks and tourist offerings when they set foot in Orlando, Fla., where the park is located.

We have known for a really long time that getting our visitors to Walt Disney World to make decisions about where they spend their time before they leave home is a powerful driver of visits per guest. When they get into the Orlando market and their time isn't yet planned, they can be subject to everything you see down there, which is a lot of in-city marketing for all the many products that people have put there to basically bleed off the feed that we fundamentally motivate.

So if we can get people to plan their vacation before they leave home, we know that we get more time with them."

Well if that was the goal all along, Universal is going to make sure that doesn't happen, at least this summer!
Quite a few guest booking those 4 night minimum WWoHP packages!
Of course that is the goal of both companies. It's why universal wants to get to 15,000 hotel rooms and Disney wants to get to 40,000 hotel/timeshare on property by 2020. I think you will see those on hotel row and Flaming Crossing getting offered magic pass prior to 30 days most likely 45 days. I also think Disney will eventually offer magic bands and 45 days fast pass plus to select Disney approved hotel/timeshares. If Disney can get an advantage why shouldn't they. Universal offers their hotel guests extras to stay in their park and Disney should too. Next gen has lots of possible add ons and things that can be offered to improve attendance and profitability. Maybe the guests will go to Disney parks every day even though days 5 to 7 don't and too much revenue they make the customer happy and provide a better value. That is why they need a 5th gate and expansion of the 3 other parks.

jt04

What is Hyperion Wharf Syndrome?

They could build a garage and/or share parking with EC somewhere in the middle, but I've said this a million times now and everyone is probably sick of hearing it from me. I'll keep saying it until Disney takes ownership of it. So, I'm actually saying it to Disney for all of us.

EC needs a lot of work. I know Disney knows this as well. I would like to put them on notice that an ostrich policy won't fix the problem. Only capital will. Universal and Comcast knows this too well.

HW may have been held up due to lack of suitable infrastructure that is now being addressed. That is what I was refering to. Lack of capital investment at the Studios may be due to insufficient infasructure also. That was what I was saying. A garage that could be shared by Epcot and DHS is a very interesting idea. It could even be 'off-stage' and for employess only. That would help.

I still think Disney intends to invest in WDW heavily due to Uni and the 50th anniversary. I just think they are trying to figure out the details. And there is plenty happening in the meantime. Hub. Pandora. Disney Springs. Etc.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But what is different about the process other than what type of card is being scanned? It's still virtually the exact same setup, just without guests having to open their wallets.
If I have to take out my wallet to pay with my room key I will just give them my CC directly since it saves me no time or effort. If I can leave the wallet in my pocket and scan the band I'll do that instead of taking out my wallet and paying with my CC. That's the difference. It's subtle, but it exists. I found myself charging a lot more to my wristband than I ever would to my room key. In my case it wasn't about trust, just ease of use.

Mike S

Omg!

This gem:

"i hope the author does realize that Disney announced not long ago it was closing Indiana Jones and American Idol experience to expand its Star Wars section inside Hollywood Studios... Harry Potter is a huge franchise but Star Wars is even bigger... Comcast is going to barely make a scuff mark"

Must be a post from the future because to my knowledge, nothing has been announced, only fan forum dribble with no actual truth.
My favorite is this one
"looney49er Universal has raised their tix prices, and they had to open Transformers the ride which used to be Spider Man after Disney bought the rights to Marvel... the Springfield addition to Universal Studios was not opened last year try longer maybe about 3 years ago when they opened the Simpsons ride (formally known as Back to the Future) , you talk about Disney building out of the box rides, when Universal is just taking old rides putting new names on it, fresh paint, a lil tweak here and there and you got yourself a "new ride" ..." So clueless, just the kind of people Disney loves.

TalkingHead

My favorite is this one
"looney49er Universal has raised their tix prices, and they had to open Transformers the ride which used to be Spider Man after Disney bought the rights to Marvel... the Springfield addition to Universal Studios was not opened last year try longer maybe about 3 years ago when they opened the Simpsons ride (formally known as Back to the Future) , you talk about Disney building out of the box rides, when Universal is just taking old rides putting new names on it, fresh paint, a lil tweak here and there and you got yourself a "new ride" ..." So clueless, just the kind of people Disney loves.

Dim-witted is an understatement.

cw1982

If I have to take out my wallet to pay with my room key I will just give them my CC directly since it saves me no time or effort. If I can leave the wallet in my pocket and scan the band I'll do that instead of taking out my wallet and paying with my CC. That's the difference. It's subtle, but it exists. I found myself charging a lot more to my wristband than I ever would to my room key. In my case it wasn't about trust, just ease of use.

I understand all that ;)

The person I was responding to said that they trust the magic bands when charging purchases more than they did the old cards that served as room keys. My point was it's the exact same process and the exact same information is used in that transaction whether it's linked to a card-style room key or a magic band.

ETA : go back and look at my quote on page 406 if you want the original context.

Quinnmac000

My favorite is this one

More so I wonder how much they get paid.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Of course that is the goal of both companies. It's why universal wants to get to 15,000 hotel rooms and Disney wants to get to 40,000 hotel/timeshare on property by 2020. I think you will see those on hotel row and Flaming Crossing getting offered magic pass prior to 30 days most likely 45 days. I also think Disney will eventually offer magic bands and 45 days fast pass plus to select Disney approved hotel/timeshares. If Disney can get an advantage why shouldn't they. Universal offers their hotel guests extras to stay in their park and Disney should too. Next gen has lots of possible add ons and things that can be offered to improve attendance and profitability. Maybe the guests will go to Disney parks every day even though days 5 to 7 don't and too much revenue they make the customer happy and provide a better value. That is why they need a 5th gate and expansion of the 3 other parks.
I don't see that happening. Disney had numerous opportunities to offer guest exclusive perks of staying on propert,y outside of emh.
If Disney continues offering the same benefits of Disney resort guest to non-Disney resort guest like they already do at the swan and dolphin, don't be surprised when hotel occupancy in Disney hotels take a major hit.
I would gladly give $300 to $500 a night to the Swan, Dolphin, Four Seasons, and probably any of the DTD hotels over the Grand Floridian if they got offered the same benefits.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I understand all that ;)

The person I was responding to said that they trust the magic bands when charging purchases more than they did the old cards that served as room keys. My point was it's the exact same process and the exact same information is used in that transaction whether it's linked to a card-style room key or a magic band.

ETA : go back and look at my quote on page 406 if you want the original context.
My bad. I thought you meant the act of paying (for the customer) when you said the exact same process. I never felt unsafe with the old system and I still don't with the new one.

PeterAlt

Omg!

This gem:

Wow, the 70's: America's most embarrassing decade!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom