The Spirited Back Nine ...

Matt7187

Does anyone think the GMR could be leaving and Toy Story Playland will be built in its spot. It kind of makes sense though. It would eliminate the long, narrow, and congested corridor in front of TSM and would make the "Toy Story Area" feel more like a complete land instead of the Pixar Studio theme they have now. When they add the third track, the whole building may be re-themed to fit in better with Toy Story Playland.
:banghead: I would probably go off the deep end...

MerlinTheGoat

IMHO I would rather a ride with awesome HD screens that are operational 95% of time over AA's and physical effects that look cheesy or don't work for prolonged periods. Universal is playing to their strength.
Both AA's and video screens are equally at the mercy of proper maintenance to function correctly. And Disney has a very poor track record at properly maintaining either. The continuing awful quality of Soarin at EPCOT is a perfect example of how bad a poorly maintained video can look. And while i'm unsure whether they've corrected them in their recent refurbishments, Philharmagic and It's Tough to Be a Bug both looked awful and borderline unwatchable beforehand. The video of the mammoth hunt at the beginning of Spaceship Earth is also so dim and blurry that you can barely see it. Not to mention the often abysmal quality of the Davy Jones and Blackbeard projection in POTC (it has gotten better lately but at one point it was so bad you couldn't even tell it was supposed to be a person).

As it stands, it's well known that maintenance at Universal is far superior to Disney World at the present time and has been for some years now. So their show elements in general are going to be better regardless of whether they're video or AA centric. It used to be the other way around. With classic pre-1994 standards of Disney World maintenance (or OLC standards), I far prefer AA's over screens. I have little to no interest in riding past video clips. I like tangible show sets and characters, with projections and videos having more subtle supporting roles.

Last edited:

PrincessNelly_NJ

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2004-02-03/business/0402030189_1_eisner-pixar-steve-jobs

I could see them having a say if they chose to express opposition towards a Google sponsorship. The question is whether they would bother being against it in the first place. But if Apple said they don't want it, Disney execs would most likely listen and be very careful (wary) about ignoring Apple.

That would look absolutely hideous to have TSPL in place of GMR.
Yeah, I'm sure they value that partnership. But Disney is gonna do whats best for them and now that Disney owns Pixar, they don't have to cater to Apple.

MerlinTheGoat

Yeah, I'm sure they value that partnership. But Disney is gonna do whats best for them and now that Disney owns Pixar, they don't have to cater to Apple.
I believe they're still very mindful of Apple's whims, their partnership appeared to have gone well beyond just Pixar and didn't end once Disney bought the animation studios. Disney has certainly stepped beyond Apple's shadow in some minor cases, but i'm guessing there's probably going to be some sort of limit to what they're allowed to do with competitors before Apple begins raising eyebrows.
http://www.thewrap.com/media/column-post/all-bliss-magic-kingdom-under-apple-tree-25546/

PrincessNelly_NJ

I believe they're still very mindful of Apple's whims, their partnership appeared to have gone well beyond just Pixar and didn't end once Disney bought the animation studios. Disney has certainly stepped beyond Apple's shadow in some minor cases, but i'm guessing there's probably going to be some sort of limit to what they're allowed to do with competitors before Apple begins raising eyebrows.
http://www.thewrap.com/media/column-post/all-bliss-magic-kingdom-under-apple-tree-25546/

There can't be a limit to what Disney can do because Apple has no say. They have a business partnership that benefits both companies. Outside of My Magic+, where does Apple have a say in Disney Parks?

Apple & Disney have come together for products & services, and Disney does the same with other companies from time to time..

"Iger replied: “There isn't one company, Apple or any other company for that matter, that's driving our strategy.

Of course, Disney isn't putting all its eggs in the Apple basket. Disney hasn’t “discovered yet the silver bullet or the business model that's going to prevail,” Iger told analysts last month. So, you can find Disney content on its partly-owned Hulu, Netflix and X-Box, among other places.

At last, Disney also is hopping aboard the Android platform of Apple’s archrival, Google. Last month, for example, the Disney brand went on an Android-based smartphone for sale in Japan. Next month, Disney begins publishing apps for “Jelly Car” and “Tap Tap Revenge,” the biggest games on Apple’s various i-gadgets, for Android now that Google is enabling “in-app purchases” — commerce."

doctornick

What?
How is it better?

I know "better" is arbitrary but id really like to hear the reasoning for that. It's not even close.

Without hopefully sounding too nutty, I actually enjoy the mine show scene in 7DMT better than any individual component of EFG. To me, that combination of visuals, kinetics, the songs and how they integrate and the shadows during the lift -- it all is just fun. Sadly, havig 1-2 more scenes like that would have made the ride a true E-ticket in my mind because it was so well done; as is, it is brief and leaves you wanting.

EFG as a complete ride is obviously superior than the 7DMT. That's pretty inarguable. But I don't think it would be unreasonable for someone to say they enjoy the 7DMT overall more than EFG (I don't think I could argue that for myself though) depending on what sort of rides one prefers.

mahnamahna101

Does anyone think the GMR could be leaving and Toy Story Playland will be built in its spot. It kind of makes sense though. It would eliminate the long, narrow, and congested corridor in front of TSM and would make the "Toy Story Area" feel more like a complete land instead of the Pixar Studio theme they have now. When they add the third track, the whole building may be re-themed to fit in better with Toy Story Playland.
Greatest waste of space ever... 3 flat rides where GMR used to be. Seriously, I would never go to DHS again if they took out one of two people eating dark rides everyone can do.

Just put an updated trackless version in there... retheme it to Disney's greatest hits, make the facade Carthay Circle... no reason to remove a D-ticket dark ride for a couple B tickets.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney isn't in a position where they're struggling to survive though. At one point in time they relied on corporate sponsorship, but this is no longer required whatsoever due to how incredibly large and profitable Disney has grown on their own

Sponsorship hasn't been an issue of 'needing' the money since the 60s. Sponsorship is about spending someone else's money instead of your own.

doctornick

Epcot does need some love and some help way beyond a third theatre but by comparison it is nowhere remotely in the ballpark of the horrid shape of DAK/DHS.

Right. I think anyone can comment on issues that Epcot has or ways to improve it -- it's not perfect and some attraction refurbs or additional stuff to do could work wonders especially if they were to refocus the mission of the park.

But the reality is that the park has a lot of do still and there's a lot of interesting things available for guests. Even for the guests who wants 1989 EPCOT Center style edutainment -- sure, it's not there to the degree it was in years past, but the park isn't totally devoid of it either. For example, after spending time visiting all the WS pavilions, my kids couldn't want to check out a map when we got home and "check off" all the places we "visited" and talk about the differences of each country and what they liked.

The way some people talk on here, you'd think than any guest going to Epcot would walk out in disgust from how horrible the park is. I don't get it. DHS is an utter mess between the disjoined theming, lack of rides and terrible layout. DAK needs a lot more stuff to do and longer hours. Epcot could use some investment, but it's still a perfectly fine place to spend a day or two for most every guest to WDW.

MerlinTheGoat

Greatest waste of space ever... 3 flat rides where GMR used to be. Seriously, I would never go to DHS again if they took out one of two people eating dark rides everyone can do.

Just put an updated trackless version in there... retheme it to Disney's greatest hits, make the facade Carthay Circle... no reason to remove a D-ticket dark ride for a couple B tickets.
Great Movie Ride is an E ticket. I agree it needs to stay, but I don't want it to be a dumping ground for purely Disney movies. A couple is fine, but I like that it's a tribute to classic movies outside of Disney.

mahnamahna101

Right. I think anyone can comment on issues that Epcot has or ways to improve it -- it's not perfect and some attraction refurbs or additional stuff to do could work wonders especially if they were to refocus the mission of the park.

But the reality is that the park has a lot of do still and there's a lot of interesting things available for guests. Even for the guests who wants 1989 EPCOT Center style edutainment -- sure, it's not there to the degree it was in years past, but the park isn't totally devoid of it either. For example, after spending time visiting all the WS pavilions, my kids couldn't want to check out a map when we got home and "check off" all the places we "visited" and talk about the differences of each country and what they liked.

The way some people talk on here, you'd think than any guest going to Epcot would walk out in disgust from how horrible the park is. I don't get it. DHS is an utter mess between the disjoined theming, lack of rides and terrible layout. DAK needs a lot more stuff to do and longer hours. Epcot could use some investment, but it's still a perfectly fine place to spend a day or two for most every guest to WDW.
Agreed.

Epcot still has plenty of fun to last a whole day if you're looking for it:

Test Track
Mission - Space
Spaceship Earth
Living with the Land
Soarin'
The Seas With Nemo and Friends
Captain EO
Journey to Imagination
Universe of Energy
Impressions de France
Reflections of China
O Canada!
The American Adventure
Gran Fiesta Tour
Frozen replacement for Maelstrom
Illuminations
The Sum of All Thrills

DHS has 5 rides right now. AK has 6 rides right now. Epcot has 11 rides currently and another 10-11 shows, plus all of the bars and restaurants.

DHS
AK
Epcot

MK

That's really the order of what needs to be fixed.

lazyboy97o

Before my magic+, did Apple have any large part in Disney parks?
Not in the parks, but the rest of Disney:
  • Steve Jobs was the largest individual owner of Disney stock.
  • Bob Iger is on Apple's board.
  • Apple apparently consulted on the now dead Imagination Park Disney Store concept.
  • Disney Movies Anywhere currently only works with iTunes.
  • The square iPod nano had Disney watch faces and so will the Apple Watch.
  • Disney Store and Walt Disney World are delayed Apple Pay partners.
And slightly related, but more just an interesting factoid, Macs are the default computers used at Google.

GrammieBee

How about enjoying both rides (7DMT and Gingotts) for what they are. Just sit back and enjoy the ride for what it is instead of complaining about what it isn't or which is better and why. Don't know about others, but we go to the parks to have fun and enjoy the attractions. Sure, some things need work or should be better, but it's hard to have fun if you're always looking for what's wrong. Unless you are happy being miserable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom