The Spirited Back Nine ...

ProfSavage

1275937249093s.jpg

I left earlier, and the topic was lumberjacks.

Come back and now it's Net Neutrality.

Like George Carlin, we do no transitional material here at WDWMAgic.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yes, but it's something they can also do with TV. Comcast is not required to carry Disney owned channels or air Disney content on their own channels, and yet they do because it is good for business. Same reason they don't currently block Disney content online even though it is and has been legal to do just that.

Actually there ARE must carry regulations for local TV stations, some of which are Disney owned (ABC) and those laws have teeth as some cableco's tried to play fast and loose with not carrying stations and they wound up in a world of hurt.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Which law or regulations require the Comcast owned USA Network to air Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean films? Is Disney owned ABC Family required to air Warner's Harry Potter films with ads for Universal Orlando Resort? As @flynnibus has stated, what you describe is and has been legal but hasn't been done because it would be bad for business.

In this case the iron law of economics - if Comcast does not have it Dish and Direct TV probably DO, With Internet there is usually only one ISP covering a general area which makes abuse much more likely because the subscribers cannot vote with their feet.

Andy Whitfield

Disneyland Paris has just put out a statement to assure people they don't keep any live tigers, so it didn't escape from them.

They don't even have a Jungle Cruise so lord knows where people thought they kept them.

i wonder why they never went for a jungle cruise? The ride does have a large footprint but i think its a good solid family attraction.

Disneyhead'71

In this case the iron law of economics - if Comcast does not have it Dish and Direct TV probably DO, With Internet there is usually only one ISP covering a general area which makes abuse much more likely because the subscribers cannot vote with their feet.
I believe that in the not so distant future, anywhere that a cable provider has locked up access, unlimited data 4g wireless will come in to under cut them.

BrerJon

i wonder why they never went for a jungle cruise? The ride does have a large footprint but i think its a good solid family attraction.

It's pouring with rain so often and cold enough that most of the year everyone wears thick coats, so that makes it quite hard to convincingly portray a jungle climate I suppose. At least in Tokyo, although winters are cold, summer can get as hot as Orlando, so it's understandable they have one.

lazyboy97o

Actually there ARE must carry regulations for local TV stations, some of which are Disney owned (ABC) and those laws have teeth as some cableco's tried to play fast and loose with not carrying stations and they wound up in a world of hurt.
That would amount to one channel that is like Disney affiliated, not Disney owned. They're also not required to carry Disney's content on their cable channels, but they do because they think it'll attract viewers. If an area is only served by one company then that is a local problem than can be addressed locally.

ABQ

I believe that in the not so distant future, anywhere that a cable provider has locked up access, unlimited data 4g wireless will come in to under cut them.
That would be wonderful, and though it's because I live in the 3rd world of Albuquerque, it's just not feasible in this neighborhood. Further, I cannot imagine it's all that different in other large cities. First problem, heavy internet users know there are not too many truly unlimited wireless plans, rather just a number of 5g plans outside of say Sprint, some grandfathered AT&T deals and maybe some of the other fringe players who are probably leasing tower rights from VZW. If they all start clogging up the 4G bands, you can bet your bootie all the wireless carriers will either A, throttle; B, charge a fee for more data usage to give you "unlimited" or C, both. Further, tower usage and throughput on them is even more dependent on how many people are accessing the data at one time than either cable internet or the old "how close to the switch" are you DSL.
Maybe in a decade it will be feasible, just not today, in most cases, to dump your ISP for you wireless data. Of if you happen to live under a tower in a sparsely populated area.
If I could get this performance at home, I'd dump Centurlink before I hit post reply.
2014-09-27 17.13.25.jpg

lazyboy97o

The official story is that the attraction has been rather successfully imitated in Europe at several parks and Disney thought it would come across as a copy. There were plans for an outdoor-indoor Jeep ride through the jungle.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

I respectfully disagree, LTE data is rapidly becoming a luxury priced item, VZ is trying to tell the victims of Sandy who USED to have DSL that the new $100 buck for 10GB of data with a HARD cap is the best they are going to get, Considering a HD movie is between 2-6 Gb in size, Well that argument is BRAVO-SIERRA. But VZ is busy tearing out copper so this LTE package is their ONLY option in many cases.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That would amount to one channel that is like Disney affiliated, not Disney owned. They're also not required to carry Disney's content on their cable channels, but they do because they think it'll attract viewers. If an area is only served by one company then that is a local problem than can be addressed locally.

In many cases it cannot be addressed locally as franchise agreements were signed which 'lock in' the ISP's 10-30 years, Our town is litigating with Comcast right now because they never finished their promised buildout but they will if the town gives them 6 million to pay for the capital equipment not a loan but an outright grant for stuff they were contractually committed to.

Fortunately we have TDS who just installed gigabit fiber to the house EVERYWHERE in town

No this is one of the things that need the federal government to bring the hammer down. And I'm a free market guy but free markets NEED regulation to STAY free otherwise cronyism takes over.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You know you can turn on Nickelodeon because that is what customers expect, not because of regulations. The same expectations can work with the Internet.

Sorry they have not worked for the internet, the FCC has had to intervene repeatedly to address bad behavior by incumbent ISP's most of which involves wholesale blocking of traffic which competes with the ISP's offerings with Video and VoIP being the most frequently abused services.

lazyboy97o

In many cases it cannot be addressed locally as franchise agreements were signed which 'lock in' the ISP's 10-30 years, Our town is litigating with Comcast right now because they never finished their promised buildout but they will if the town gives them 6 million to pay for the capital equipment not a loan but an outright grant for stuff they were contractually committed to.

Fortunately we have TDS who just installed gigabit fiber to the house EVERYWHERE in town

No this is one of the things that need the federal government to bring the hammer down. And I'm a free market guy but free markets NEED regulation to STAY free otherwise cronyism takes over.
Those local monopolies granted by local governments are regulation. It is regulations to fix problems created by regulations.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Those local monopolies granted by local governments are regulation. It is regulations to fix problems created by regulations.

It's an imbalance of power issue, How does a small town or city fight a multinational whose annual legal budget is greater than the last 50 years of said municipalities entire budget. The answer is they don't because even IF they WIN the multinational will just keep them in court for the next decade.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That would be wonderful, and though it's because I live in the 3rd world of Albuquerque, it's just not feasible in this neighborhood. Further, I cannot imagine it's all that different in other large cities. First problem, heavy internet users know there are not too many truly unlimited wireless plans, rather just a number of 5g plans outside of say Sprint, some grandfathered AT&T deals and maybe some of the other fringe players who are probably leasing tower rights from VZW. If they all start clogging up the 4G bands, you can bet your bootie all the wireless carriers will either A, throttle; B, charge a fee for more data usage to give you "unlimited" or C, both. Further, tower usage and throughput on them is even more dependent on how many people are accessing the data at one time than either cable internet or the old "how close to the switch" are you DSL.
Maybe in a decade it will be feasible, just not today, in most cases, to dump your ISP for you wireless data. Of if you happen to live under a tower in a sparsely populated area.
If I could get this performance at home, I'd dump Centurlink before I hit post reply.
View attachment 73613

All the new 4G plans top out at 10GB per month with a $10-25 charge per gig over the cap, And the minimum is plan is between $80-100 per month. There is no such thing as an unlimited plan anymore except for T-mobile and even they throttle you to 56K after you exceed your plan limit.

lazyboy97o

It's an imbalance of power issue, How does a small town or city fight a multinational whose annual legal budget is greater than the last 50 years of said municipalities entire budget. The answer is they don't because even IF they WIN the multinational will just keep them in court for the next decade.
Then it's a powerful point against letting others go about dictating what must be for decades. Maybe some pain will be a good lesson.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom