The Spirited Back Nine ...

truecoat

I'm sure seeing snow in early November isn't fun for the folks in Minnesota or the Dakotas, but that is part of the territory.

The snow means nothing to me. It's the extreme cold. When you get a couple weeks of high temperatures of 0 with a -25 wind chill, it makes you want to hibernate. I'll take 3 feet of snow and 25 degrees all winter long.

truecoat

San Diego housing is that expensive because the climate is as close to perfect for humans as Planet Earth will allow. San Diego has even better weather than Anaheim or LA. Wealthy people who can choose to live anywhere often choose SoCal, and north San Diego County in particular.

Plus it's physically beautiful. And the citizens are fit and attractive and stylish and constantly smiling. And they stay classy. And there's some really good restaurants. And it's a 75 minute drive to Disneyland. So, yeah, houses are expensive there. ;)

I spent 4 days there end of Oct and it was very nice. A friend of a friend took us aboard a commissioned battleship from stem to stern which really made the trip. Food was good except the bbq.

TP2000

Food was good except the bbq.

I have never heard anyone use the concepts of "San Diego" and "BBQ" in the same sentence before. Congrats. :eek:

And I can imagine that any attempt at legit Southern BBQ in San Diego was disappointing.

Any sushi lovers out there heading to San Diego? Best sushi I've ever had outside of breakfast at Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo is Sushi Tadokoro in Old Town San Diego. A tiny yet stylish place that is easy to miss. This past summer I went to Sea World for the day for their 50th Anniversary party, and then had dinner at Sushi Tadokoro to complete the theme. http://su****adokoro.com/photo/

PhotoDave219

That's right; rub it in. You can get hand-dipped corn dogs at DD/DS, plus regular corn dogs at Herbie’s Drive-In, the Beastly kiosk in Discovery Island, and at Westward Ho Refreshments. But can I get cheese on a stick anywhere in WDW? Noooooooooo. What's wrong with you, WDW? How do you not appreciate the joy and wonder that is cheese on a stick?!

No but there are quite a few places within a 5 to 10 minute drive of Walt Disney World that have an excellent cheese plate.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Is that even a minority opinion? Perhaps not a consensus that it's a masterpiece, but a lot of people seem to like it. I found it quite good and it seemed to have been pretty well received upon release. It does admittedly have its flaws, including some unfinished looking animation and such. I gather it had a very rocky development cycle. But it's still quite good.

I can't speak from firsthand experience for the Palms as i've never been, but the Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville had IMHO absolutely lovely Christmas decorations. From Google, it looks like the Palms has fewer outside trees decorated with lights (mostly due to the lack of trees in general, Opryland has a lot of trees to work with there) but the inside looks similarly well decked out to Opryland.

I'll have to visit the Palms for myself one day. Actually rather miss the Opryland Hotel, it was super gorgeous. And speaking of Disney mismanagement BS (regarding the Polynesian as I love to bring this up), Gaylord still maintains an immense quantity of interior water features INSIDE the fully enclosed building with a glass roof. They even have a boat ride inside (kind of gives me Willie Wonka vibes in fact).

Yes amazing how they can do that, Must be because they are not a 'Business' like Disney...

SirLink

I would never tell a child (even a 33-year-old one) how to play with their toys.

I am commenting on how when Disney owns you they have no problem dropping characters from one world into another where they don't belong.

Even as a kid, I cringed when Scooby Doo and the Gang got help from Batman, The Super Friends or, perhaps worst of all, Sonny & Cher.

Just because Disney owns Marvel now doesn't mean Thor should exist in the same world as Daisy Duck or Merida.

Actually that was the plan that is what Avalanche wanted to do. They wanted you to take Mike for MI and have him captain the Black Pearl to fight Davy Jones ... would be totally relevant and something new, but nope. Skipper John crushed the dreams of the fine folk of Avalanche. Also thanks to Skipper John the worlds are very much locked away from one another. Not like say Kingdom Hearts ... which will have you clenching your buttocks if you hate this kind of stuff

You cringe but I loved the initial creative plan ... that is why they will always be dead last as a publisher, as Disney Interactive, why they will always be number 2 or now number 3 with "Toys to Life" products.

Controversial opinion time: Skipper John should be removed from the company along with the three stooges and then better products may come about both parks and other divisions from the company.

FrankLapidus

Controversial opinion time: Skipper John should be removed from the company along with the three stooges and then better products may come about both parks and other divisions from the company.

The suggestion of removing John Lasseter is not really controversial, just completely and utterly ridiculous.

When was the last time that Disney animation was flourishing as it is now? What do you suggest will improve by removing the catalyst for that? Its taken near enough twenty years to get animation back on an even footing, removing the infighting and power struggles that allowed idiots like David Stainton to sweep in and wreak havoc and the success of the films released under Lasseter speaks for itself.

If you want the parks improved then those who have overseen the continual downturn in recent years and yet remain in elevated positions of power are those who should be removed, not John Lasseter.

Getting Lasseter on board at Disney is arguably the best thing that Iger has done, there would be absolutely nothing to be gained by removing him. If you want to improve the Walt Disney Company then remove the micromanaging bean counter executives who's only interest is the bottom line, not one of the few creative visionaries left at the company.

Last edited:

SirLink

Skipper John was most notable not listening to advice when dealing with Disney Interactive business unit and their projects. Also not listening with regard to the issues with park rides without knowledge of how to build a ride.

I also would say animation is done better elsewhere at a cheaper cost. e.g. Toy Story 3 budget was around $200million and DM2 was around $76million. Others who work at Pixar, like Pete Docter who can do JL role and possibly be better.

Donald Razorduck

I was pondering that 3rd gate at UNI and just thinking about what if the failed Hard Rock Park had been placed at UNI to go along with the HR Hotel. It was such a great concept with horrible placement. A Led Zepplin themed B&M coaster with a custom mixed soundtrack and it only lasted a year. Pity. That would have complemented the other two with it's own genre.

PREMiERdrum

I was pondering that 3rd gate at UNI and just thinking about what if the failed Hard Rock Park had been placed at UNI to go along with the HR Hotel. It was such a great concept with horrible placement. A Led Zepplin themed B&M coaster with a custom mixed soundtrack and it only lasted a year. Pity. That would have complemented the other two with it's own genre.

Even further off topic, but do we know where that ride is going? They were dismantling it while we were on vacation back in August.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Skipper John was most notable not listening to advice when dealing with Disney Interactive business unit and their projects. Also not listening with regard to the issues with park rides without knowledge of how to build a ride.

Just keep him in film making... and let him focus there.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Constant heat, humidity and months of rain and gloom isn't paradise despite what many in northern climes believe.

I'm sure seeing snow in early November isn't fun for the folks in Minnesota or the Dakotas, but that is part of the territory. But as someone who truly can't stand Florida's climate, I wish people would stop making it sound so much better than it is. This isn't San Diego or LA.

This is one of the few usually terrific weather months that we get and yesterday was all rain and gloom as was the first half of today.
Rain > Snow
Humidity > Snow
Heat > Snow
Carnie Rides in HS > Snow
Iger > Snow
I would rather ride Ellen's Universe of Energy over & over or be forced to watch Captain EO repeatedly than deal with snow...

It was fun when I was a kid, but somehow the "having to risk my life to get to work on ice & snow covered roads or lose my job" pretty much killed that for me. And the fact that NJ does a hell of a job clearing main roads, while the small roads never get plowed and turn into sheets of deadly ice that even Elsa couldn't create doesn't help either!

I dread snow. Snow is a bad word in our house. I'm still depressed over last winter. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom