The Spirited 8th Wonder (WDW's Future & You!)

SpaceMountain77

Here you go...

Hyatt-Place-P148-Conversion-King-2-1280x720.jpg

Guest Room

Hyatt-Place-P151-Conversion-Wet-Bar-1280x720.jpg

Wet Bar

Hyatt-Place-P144-Conversion-Desk-1280x720.jpg

Desk

Hyatt-Place-P143-Conversion-Cozy-Corner-1280x720.jpg

Cozy Corner

Hyatt-Place-Refresh-Bathroom-1280x720.jpg

Bath

Hyatt-Place-Media-Center-and-Workplace-1280x720.jpg

Media Center and Workplace

To me, this truly is a deluxe studio. Although its kitchenette does not have all of the features of a DVC kitchenette, overall, it is more of a vacation villa. Moreover, the size and divided rooms are more accommodating for a family of 4.

John

Of course it does - I am always wrong remember

Disney Springs is just a "shopping mall" just like WDW and UNI are just carnivals with rides

Dad, I am sure you feel that the acts and comments of some of the posters here are worn and tired.....so is yours. Fact is it is a shopping mall with a Disney slant put on it. Nothing more....nothing less. Just because its getting some plastic surgery doesn't change what it is. The new face lift doesn't make it unique, another fact is that none of us knows exactly what the list of clients and their stores will be. That said food trucks and an Apple store surely isn't unique. The fact that it draws huge crowds isn't much of an indicator also. Very much like my local mall you can go on a Friday night and the place is packed. But you just don't see very many people carrying packages. Its a social gathering of sorts.

Just lie any other shopping venue we will be able to tell how successful the new lifestyle center will be in a few years when we see how much turn over will happen among the vendors. The problem with the old DTD when it did have unique stores and merchandise....no one bought anything. So they dummied down the merch to mass produced crap. They decided to go after a different clientele.

But wait! was this the customers fault or was it the clientele that Disney was going after in their parks also? Disney has changed the way they do business. The top 1%ers and even the faux 1%ers don't mind spending money if there is value. A uniqueness in that value. The client Disney is going after will not buy a $800 lithograph. But they will buy an $18 snowman plush. Uniqueness cost money something Disney is opposed to when there isn't a quick ROI.

So @WDWDad13 explain to us how DS is unique? Explain how it isn't like anyother mall in America? Instead of the tired snark comments why don't you come in here and give a intelligent argument...try something ...ummmm unique.

Nubs70

Hey, that's our favorite outlet! I believe all the "________ Premium Outlets" follow the same basic design, with local flourishes tossed in (Palms in FL, Craftsman-style details out west). The ones in Cincy are a bit generic, but what type of local influence could we expect? A plate of Skyline?
This the Cincinnati Premium Outlets near Cincinnati.

mall 034.jpg

harveyt0206

Thank you, Harvey.

You may not realize it, but your post may be the most important one on this thread yet. If I were following this at CP/TDO/Burbank, I'd be worried ... worried a lot. Because you are the type of guest they have owned in the past. And you and your feelings are becoming more and more mainstream. And Disney's response to you is akin to saying 'Go Have a MAGICal Night!' ... What a way to run the world's top theme park resort? What a way to live up to the Disney Legacy? What a classy bunch ... nah, just stopping here.

Well, if I thought that the powers that be had any interest in my thoughts or opinions then I would shout them from the rooftop, as would many others from this forum. But right now I get the sense that all WDW wants to know from me is how many souvenirs I purchase while running to my Fastpass reservation that I scheduled 60 days ago. In the end, I don't think the loss of my annual contribution to the Disney bottom line is going to bother anyone. It should. But it won't. And just to be clear, I'm not giving up completely on Disney yet. We made our first trip to DL this year and fell in love. Their Downtown Disney area alone hooked me. And, while we discussed canceling our upcoming WDW trip due to some of our misgivings, we decided to keep it so that I could fulfill my bucket list item of hitting both coasts in the same year. But this is our last trip to WDW for some time. We are moving to an every other year visit to DL for the next few years with maybe a cruise thrown in the mix. But it's still hard to say goodbye to such a longtime friend.

SpaceMountain77

They've rebuilt the Court of Angels to expand Club 33, moved the door, and turned it into a mess. There's a great article on MiceAge with photos that show the full horror (was down when I checked but might be working now)
/

Thank you for sharing this article. Although I had heard about the Court of Angels, I thought something else was going on.

Cosmic Commando

Dad, I am sure you feel that the acts and comments of some of the posters here are worn and tired.....so is yours. Fact is it is a shopping mall with a Disney slant put on it. Nothing more....nothing less. Just because its getting some plastic surgery doesn't change what it is. The new face lift doesn't make it unique, another fact is that none of us knows exactly what the list of clients and their stores will be.
It's not going to be "just another shopping mall", although some parts of it will look pedestrian... it will have Splitsville, a Cirque du Soleil theater, and DisneyQuest (haha, I know, but still). But that's just the bones of DtD that haven't been cut yet; if they want me on board for "Disney Springs", then they need to show me more than just shops and restaurants. I will pay for something to DO, not something to buy. I'd even be impressed with an "experience" kind of restaurant like below. Probably not impressed enough to go, but still impressed.

aladdin2007

Do educate us on how it isn't just a shopping mall?

It feels like its going to look like a mess when its done. Does it bother anyone else that the water area has zigzagging cross walks being built all over it? The other day when I was there checking out the construction it just seems like its going to be an even more tangled up noncohesive space than before. Remember the days when it had beautiful water views, huge trees, large willows, and grassy areas?

Irie

Think all Disney gift shops are the same? Check out Fittings & Fairings Clothes & Notions.
I quoted this to ask a question in regards to the original post. I agree that the Yacht Club had the most resort specific merchandise of all the resorts. Do you think that with the expansion of DVC the gift shops will increase resort specfic items? Surely, if you have a financial interest in a property you would be more likely to wear a polo representing that resort. However, since the YC has no DVC presence, this would seem to go against my theory.

WDW loses money everytime I visit. I budget money to buy shirts etc and except for the YC polo I bought(keep in mind I wasn't even staying there) I no longer spend all of that budgeted money.

John

It's not going to be "just another shopping mall", although some parts of it will look pedestrian... it will have Splitsville, a Cirque du Soleil theater, and DisneyQuest (haha, I know, but still). But that's just the bones of DtD that haven't been cut yet; if they want me on board for "Disney Springs", then they need to show me more than just shops and restaurants. I will pay for something to DO, not something to buy. I'd even be impressed with an "experience" kind of restaurant like below. Probably not impressed enough to go, but still impressed.

Ummmmm don't you think there is a smidge of contradiction in your post?....maybe just a little?

It's not going to be "just another shopping mall", although some parts of it will look pedestrian... it will have Splitsville, a Cirque du Soleil theater, and DisneyQuest (haha, I know, but still).

Bowling alley....unique? When was the last time Cirque changed shows? Cirque comes to my town a couple times a year. DQ? surely you gest.

Tigger1988

I thought the idea of Cirque being there was it was a unique show you couldn't see anywhere else?

Changing the show would be on them, not Disney.

jmb2676

Oh I'm not selling either despite being somewhat unhappy and kind of disgruntled... There are other ways I could use my points... Does not have to be in WDW. I, personally, see value in the DVC. I did when i joined, and I still do. I know that isn't popular around here but so what. Value is in the eye of the beholder. I may try to finally get out to Disneyland. Or maybe Vero Beach/Hilton Head. Lots of options. Just not WDW.
Definitely go to Disneyland. Used our points there last year and that is one place that I am really looking forward to visiting again. My home resort is Hilton Head but we haven't been there in a while. Another very nice vacation spot.

merry68

Definitely go to Disneyland. Used our points there last year and that is one place that I am really looking forward to visiting again. My home resort is Hilton Head but we haven't been there in a while. Another very nice vacation spot.

ITA! Disneyland is the way a theme park should be - relaxed and no worries about such advanced planning. Just go and enjoy it.

We went last month and hopefully will be going back next year.

It isn't so much the nostalgia that it was walt's park that hooked us, it was CMs who cared and have pride in their jobs. We noticed several times that CMs were not only changing the trash cans, they polished the can! We looked a bit confused one day and out of nowhere a kind CM chatted with us and gave us good tips and directions.

I am like others here (WDW guest visiting FL several times a year & I live in PA) for those WDW die hards, try to swing a trip out West to DL/DCA and the surrounding area.

We didn't stay at GC, instead DLH as we aren't DVC. But if you're DVC look into GC!

SpaceMountain77

I quoted this to ask a question in regards to the original post. I agree that the Yacht Club had the most resort specific merchandise of all the resorts. Do you think that with the expansion of DVC the gift shops will increase resort specfic items? Surely, if you have a financial interest in a property you would be more likely to wear a polo representing that resort. However, since the YC has no DVC presence, this would seem to go against my theory.

WDW loses money everytime I visit. I budget money to buy shirts etc and except for the YC polo I bought(keep in mind I wasn't even staying there) I no longer spend all of that budgeted money.

Unfortunately, much of the DVC merchandise is quite generic and not resort specific. Several limited edition DVC resort-specific t-shirts and mugs were offered on the Disney Store website a few months ago, but now the offerings are general DVC. Surprisingly some resorts, like Animal Kingdom Villas and Beach Club Villas, were not included in the limited time offering. DVC aside, I do not understand why there is not more resort specific merchandise. I, for one, would love to have resort-specific polos and t's.

Regarding my noting Fittings & Fairings, the shop features business casual offerings for its conventioneers. Ralph Lauren, for example, is just one of the brand offerings.

To some extent, gift shops can give an indication of a hotel's/resort's target demographic. A stroll through Fittings & Fairings suggests a business clientele and, specifically, a demographic distinct from the other deluxe resorts.

SandraAnn

Long-time lurker..had to log in to post something on this.

I think it's great that Disney is throwing in the towel on running deluxe resorts and will now be focusing on running timeshares and motels. Because they haven't run a proper deluxe resort in a long time. A big part of running a true luxury hotel is service, which shows in so many ways. It's hard to quantify, but you know it when you see it. Better for Disney to cede that business to the real players like the Four Seasons. No coincidence that the FS moved in right when this plan was being hatched. One example, you can't call the front desk...my mind boggles when I think about this.

It's kind of similar to the way they gave up on running real restaurants.

We've always stayed deluxe and then we started to rent DVC 1 brs through Disney when we needed more space, only at BCV/BW/BLT. The DVC units (from the perspective of someone renting them directly) are basically disgusting, but we put up with them for the space and the proximity to the parks. I'm talking fingerprints on the windows and lamps, the carpets were gnarly, furniture is beat up, walls are beat up. And it was obvious to me that the housekeeping isn't being given enough time to thoroughly clean the units in between stays. And the daily housekeeping that you are supposed to get when you book through Disney? Good luck getting that. 9 times out of 10 the housekeeper boss lady will pretend that she thought you were DVC when you call looking for your daily housekeeping. It's easier to just bring some Clorox wipes, wash your own towels and put the do not disturb sign out. Now we stay offsite and some accommodations are good, some are great, but the prices are more in line with what you get.

Anyway, we don't mind paying for value on our vacations and the WDW parks work for us right now spectacularly as a family vacation (along with UOR). The one place where I probably disagree with many on this board is regarding the parks. I actually think the parks are fine for what you pay, and I don't think ticket prices are outrageous. Compared to what we spend at local amusement parks or the boardwalk down the shore to ride a few rides...eh, ticket prices really aren't that bad and we still have a lot of fun in the WDW parks. That might change for us in the future, who knows. It's really the food and resorts that are driving us away. I have this thing now where I try to enjoy the parks while spending as little as possible on Disney food and hotels (and merch) at Disney. That's pretty sad when you get to that point.

As far as prices, the whole thing is a house of cards. They need the prices to be X at the deluxes so they can charge Y at the values, etc. All of the rooms are ripoffs, the deluxes aren't the worst offenders.

I think the moderate DVCs will be a hit if they can find a way to price them a bit lower. So many people who can't afford the regular DVC would love to buy into DVC, so they can feel fancy-schmancy as well. Brilliance there, pure brilliance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom