The Spirited 8th Wonder (WDW's Future & You!)

TeriofTerror

Don't know if this is on topic or not, but, not being a financial expert, I have a question. If someone succumbed to a Disney DVD sales pitch and did not have enough to pay up front for the whole shebang and had to finance enough points for a week's stay each year at either the Boardwalk Villas or the Beach Club Villas (their room rates are roughly comperable), plus they have a yearly maintainance fee of over 1K, how much are they actually saving? Anything? How about if they didn't have to finance? The Disney time share plan is quite expensive compared with other time share plans.

No, it's not us. We're much too old and, in any case, since we also vacation in other ways, it didn't seem to make a lot of financial sense to us.
I would never buy directly from Disney, but we bought via resale in 2010, and it's worked well for us. We bought 100 points at 67 dollars per point. This is enough for us to go once per year and stay around 6 nights in a studio during the less busy times of the year. Comparing rack rates to our $6700 investment, we're already ahead after our visits to SSR, BLT, and VGC (Disneyland was wonderful, btw). So this year we're spending 2 nights at VB followed by 5 at AKL-KV, all for our annual dues of $491. Add to that the discounted APs, and yes, I do believe we come out ahead. :)
Edit: Okay, "never" is a lie. In my current economic status, I wouldn't by directly. If I won the lottery or discovered an unknown wealthy relative, I'd be seriously tempted by those bungalows at the Poly. I know them's fightin' words in these here parts, but I find those most intriguing.

Last edited:

Nubs70

Ah, but now you are treading in dangerous financial waters. Timeshares are considered luxury spending, available to those with disposable income or willing to spread themselves thin to afford their vacation dreams. Most DVC purchases are financed at a hefty 15.25% interest rate for initial purchases.

Could the value resort demographic afford a luxury purchase and would Disney be willing to take the financial risk? One only needs to look back a few years to find the impact of the recession on timeshares and, specifically, foreclosures.
Yes it is very risky, but if you can declare an existing moderate room without any conversion expense, offer it at a price point that the average value demographic can "afford". Then WDW marketing can sell moderate DVC to the masses and collect a bunch right up front. Then "claim" a windfall based on Time Value of Money.

Just a thought.

SpaceMountain77

Don't know if this is on topic or not, but, not being a financial expert, I have a question. If someone succumbed to a Disney DVD sales pitch and did not have enough to pay up front for the whole shebang and had to finance enough points for a week's stay each year at either the Boardwalk Villas or the Beach Club Villas (their room rates are roughly comperable), plus they have a yearly maintainance fee of over 1K, how much are they actually saving? Anything? How about if they didn't have to finance? The Disney time share plan is quite expensive compared with other time share plans.

No, it's not us. We're much too old and, in any case, since we also vacation in other ways, it didn't seem to make a lot of financial sense to us.

When DVC guides and sales staff quote savings, it is based on a complete cash purchase at the time of signing. The interest rate for an initial purchase is 15.25% over a 10-year period. Interest nearly doubles the initial points purchase price.

Nubs70

This is exactly the problem. Current management has no passion for running the world's pre-eminent theme park. All that matters is this quarter and the next.

I hope that the current "squeeze every penny" management style is a sign that they're trying to wring out the profits before selling off the division.
This management style is found across many different industries. I have had experience with this in the final death throes of what used to be the largest manufacturing complex of its type in the world. Google "Death Watch in a Mill Town". This should yield an article from US News & World Report. Interesting article.

merry68

Probably been corrected by now, but TDS (and the entire TDR) is 100% owned and operated by an unrelated Japanese corp. (the Oriental Land Company). ... Disney makes money off of licensing its IP for the parks and resorts and designing the place.

Do you think that there could come a time when TWDC just spins off P&R to another company? A deal like OLC for domestic parks?

I see that happening rather than a massive firing of all the uppermost Suits.

Of course I'd like a huge management reshuffle with many shown the door but I doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

Nubs70

I wouldn't be too sure it won't feel like a mall. Here's the nearby Orlando Premium Outlets Mall...

77124652.jpg

And here's the concept art for Disney Springs. Not too much different to me, especially as the real thing never lives up to the artwork. From the ceiling to the shop signs, it's very similar.

7443d1372353375-disney-unveils-vision-disney-springs-image2-590x260.jpg
If you take out the palm trees, it is almost an exact replica of the outlet mall north of Cincinnati up I-75 in Mason.

PeterAlt

I have something very important to say.

There are two forces at work within the company. It's been a tug of war between these two forces. If the things concerning the resorts and properties is pursued, the other force will stop it. I personally know this because of conversations I had with members of my family who are good friends with this "counter" force. The counter force prefers not to get involved with company politics and are not employed within the company, but they have enough clout with shareholders to get what they want on the rare occasions when they feel they must speak their mind. There's been a few incidences over the past couple of years where - had they not have spoken up - things would have been nightmarish for us a Disney fans. It sounds like they may have to make another course correction.

So, don't worry about it. These things will not happen. Or it will end as soon as it begins.

yensidtlaw1969

I have something very important to say.

There are two forces at work within the company. It's been a tug of war between these two forces. If the things concerning the resorts and properties is pursued, the other force will stop it. I personally know this because of conversations I had with members of my family who are good friends with this "counter" force. The counter force prefers not to get involved with company politics and are not employed within the company, but they have enough clout with shareholders to get what they want on the rare occasions when they feel they must speak their mind. There's been a few incidences over the past couple of years where - had they not have spoken up - things would have been nightmarish for us a Disney fans. It sounds like they may have to make another course correction.

So, don't worry about it. These things will not happen. Or it will end as soon as it begins.
Interesting . . . could you give an example of an incident where things would have been nightmarish for us? I'm curious to know what might have been

NearTheEars

They certainly aren't. That's rather a large lake.

Just making sure. I don't want people thinking that one piece of concept art speaks for the whole project.

Can't wait till the construction is done. Had a coworker go over there for the first time the other day and they quickly got back in the car and headed to City Walk. I told him I haven't been back since they closed off the lots.

PREMiERdrum

If you take out the palm trees, it is almost an exact replica of the outlet mall north of Cincinnati up I-75 in Mason.

Hey, that's our favorite outlet! I believe all the "________ Premium Outlets" follow the same basic design, with local flourishes tossed in (Palms in FL, Craftsman-style details out west). The ones in Cincy are a bit generic, but what type of local influence could we expect? A plate of Skyline?

WDWDad13

What kind of stupid analogy is that??? You said DS would be unique and not a mall. His post suggests you are wrong on both counts.

Of course it does - I am always wrong remember

Disney Springs is just a "shopping mall" just like WDW and UNI are just carnivals with rides

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom