The Spirited 8th Wonder (WDW's Future & You!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well, on a very gloomy, sad and depressing Thursday evening, let's talk some about WDW's future roadmap.

Let's look at what is coming and why? And what the plans say about WDW's current and future business model.

Also, as a favor to Steve and Marcia, let's try and stick to the few topics here. I'll still pop into Seventh Heaven for anything goes type discussion of WDW, UNI and general media and entertainment talk. So, if ya'll are ready, these are some things you may find interesting (if you don't, you don't need to express it here, just move on to one of the countless threads here that does interest you):

WDW's biggest DVC expansion has started and it is not going to take place (for now) where you think;
WDW is effectively done with deluxe resorts. You won't see a new one ever built unless a significant change happens in management;
WDW can't fill the resorts that it has, so be ready to watch rooms disappear;
WDW has thrown in the towel on Flamingo Crossing. It isn't happening. Dead;
Oh, and one little thing about Disney and UNI and how there are no secrets in the business ... we'll talk about that too.

OK, let's go ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
The next DVC resort, well after Disney finishes construction of Disney's Polynesian Village Resort and Villas isn't the FW/RC site (although it still is in long term plans according to someone with knowledge of DVC's future), it also isn't the EPCOT resort (although that too is still in the future plans) and it isn't the Hollywood-themed resort near WWoS (this one is likely as dead as the one they announced for the site that now is Golden Oak and the Four Seasons).

Nope, the next WDW DVC Resort is ... the WL.

Nemo14

The next DVC resort, well after Disney finishes construction of Disney's Polynesian Village Resort and Villas isn't the FW/RC site (although it still is in long term plans according to someone with knowledge of DVC's future), it also isn't the EPCOT resort (although that too is still in the future plans) and it isn't the Hollywood-themed resort near WWoS (this one is likely as dead as the one they announced for the site that now is Golden Oak and the Four Seasons).

the entire resort?

The Mom

Premium Member
Well, on a very gloomy, sad and depressing Thursday evening, let's talk some about WDW's future roadmap.

Let's look at what is coming and why? And what the plans say about WDW's current and future business model.

Also, as a favor to Steve and Marcia, let's try and stick to the few topics here. I'll still pop into Seventh Heaven for anything goes type discussion of WDW, UNI and general media and entertainment talk. So, if ya'll are ready, these are some things you may find interesting (if you don't, you don't need to express it here, just move on to one of the countless threads here that does interest you):

WDW's biggest DVC expansion has started and it is not going to take place (for now) where you think;
WDW is effectively done with deluxe resorts. You won't see a new one ever built unless a significant change happens in management;
WDW can't fill the resorts that it has, so be ready to watch rooms disappear;
WDW has thrown in the towel on Flamingo Crossing. It isn't happening. Dead;
Oh, and one little thing about Disney and UNI and how there are no secrets in the business ... we'll talk about that too.

OK, let's go ...

Thank you - and good luck.

ToTBellHop

As in WL will stop being a normal hotel and only have villas? Bollocks. That's my favorite resort.

Captain Chaos

So Wilderness Lodge will be converted to DVC in its entirety? Oh boy.

And WDW taking rooms out of circulation? Closed up for good? Never to be stayed in by guests again? Reducing amount of rooms on property? Well, that is one way to artificially inflate the numbers. Maybe they do have too many rooms after all....

The Mom

Premium Member
I was just reading a rumor about rooms disappearing at CBR to make moderate family suites. Actually seems like a smart idea to me.

I stayed there years ago, when it first opened and was WDW's "value" resort. Our daughter was only 5 or so, and when my husband joined us on the weekend, the room was definitely cramped with 3 of us. I could see how making them a 2 bedroom suite would make them more attractive.

DougK

Are they building more WL rooms or converting the non-DVC rooms to DVC? If so some, or all?

ToTBellHop

I stayed there years ago, when it first opened and was WDW's "value" resort. Our daughter was only 5 or so, and when my husband joined us on the weekend, the room was definitely cramped with 3 of us. I could see how making them a 2 bedroom suite would make them more attractive.
Agreed. You hear frequently on this site about families with 3 or 4 kids, too, who are very limited in options at WDW resorts. They can't all afford the DVC villas so options at both values and mods would be smart.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
So Wilderness Lodge will be converted to DVC in its entirety? Oh boy.

And WDW taking rooms out of circulation? Closed up for good? Never to be stayed in by guests again? Reducing amount of rooms on property? Well, that is one way to artificially inflate the numbers. Maybe they do have too many rooms after all....
I wouldn't imagine the whole resort; too much risk in not selling all the new DVC units. But I bet half or so of the rooms are taken out of the rotation....

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes, Disney is going back to the WL.

No, they won't be building any (OK, not entirely true) new villas. What they will be doing is converting a large number of rooms in the main building from hotel to DVC. In addition, much infrastructure work is planned from a total redo of Artist Point, to expanding the pool deck to adding a new concierge lounge (actually multiples, one exclusive for DVC).

As both myself and @ParentsOf4 have articulated, WDW's current business model is fundamentally flawed and broken. And those geniuses who run Disney have come to the same conclusion. They just don't get why. They think DVC is the Golden Goose and they only care about short-term gains. It's not that the WL couldn't fill 98% of its rooms most of the year IF they lowered prices. It's that WDW's model doesn't allow for $150 a night rooms beyond CM discounts.

Take a look at this summer. Do you have any clue how pathetic WDW load levels are? The entire main building at the Grand Flo is empty as rooms are being redone to look like Vegas rooms from 2010. The Poly has multiple buildings that are empty. The BW has many rooms out of service for hard good rehabs. And guess what?

They still are lucky to have resorts that are 65-75% full (not total occupancy, available occupancy which is a huge difference).

WDW1974

Original Poster
As in WL will stop being a normal hotel and only have villas? Bollocks. That's my favorite resort.

Nope. Let me get the info out before jumping to conclusions.

What I am saying is that starting with the WL, many (most?) WDW deluxe resorts are going to see rooms converted from deluxe hotel to DVC timeshare. The only deluxe resort that currently is not likely to see this is the Contemporary for reasons I will articulate shortly.

Cardinals314

With the outrageous prices for staying on site at Disney whether it is DVC or not, it's no wonder that Disney will be closing up rooms. It seems like that they are now feeling the pressure from the other hotel competitors and don't want to invest heavily into redoing their basic rooms. They rather build DVC rooms and have people continue to pay outrageous prices

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom