The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakeman

To be fair, I think that in the 24 years since I completed my college program stint, I have moved from churro cart lackey to churro cart manager in training. Also, every time the minimum wage is increased I get a raise! I don't think this had anything to do with the movies that my boss made me watch whilst my eyelids were propped open with toothpicks.
You must be doing something right. I'm only Assistant to the Churro Cart Manager in Training. ACCMT (pronouced ACK-mut).

Cesar R M

Shut up Captain Meanie Pants.

It isn't as much fun unless you're talented enough to make your point via a pithy comment that is slightly obscured by overwhelming weirdness. However, if you focus on arguments and not the person making them, soon you'll find that your own debate skills will be refined and you'll make points better. Further, on occasion, an argument from the opposing side will resonate with you and you'll realize there is indeed another way to look at things and next thing you know a solution is reached. It is a skill that we as a society seem to be slowly losing.
oh gods george, you did it again.. you remind me now of the hilarity of the movie "The naked gun 2 1/3"

: Oh, it's all right. I'm sure we can handle this situation maturely, just like the responsible adults that we are. Isn't that right, Mr. Poopy Pants?

To be fair, I think that in the 24 years since I completed my college program stint, I have moved from churro cart lackey to churro cart manager in training. Also, every time the minimum wage is increased I get a raise! I don't think this had anything to do with the movies that my boss made me watch whilst my eyelids were propped open with toothpicks.

So.. you manage .. how many individuals? a churro dressed with a hat and a poncho doesnt count!

Last edited:

Skyway

My good pal Georgie K started as a bus boy as the Contemporary Resort in 1971. His dopey MK VP started as a Mansion butler. ... No one can expect that kind of movement today.

And yet those same people who worked their way up through the ranks are the same ones you (rightfully) accuse of driving the resort into the ground.

So maybe it's a good thing bus boys and Mansion hosts and telecom operators and cash handlers are no longer the future. The track record so far ain't so stellar.

lazyboy97o

I'm not familiar with the college program, but considering how Funmeister lashed out, it seems there is something dirty down there in that said program. ( a way by Disney to skim paying higher dues under the disguise of "helping students"?)

Kinda reminds me of the company TELEVISA in Mexico.
They very year make a "donation fest" thing called TELETON.
Its nice and dandy to help whole loads of kids with disabilities and build recovery centers for them....
until you see the dirty truth that this company is using all the donations to pay for their taxes.. in short.. Televisa uses this to earn money via Tax Fraud. (declaring the people's donation as theirs, and thus paying no tax)
to resume: wolves hiding inside sheep skin and screaming "IM TOTALLY FOR HELPING!".

In other news, Im grumpy.. my AC froze again despite not putting it lower than 25C.
I hate minis splits of the MIRAGE brand.
That happens here too with most super markets who collect donations at check out.

71jason

The fact is if you work at a Florida theme park be glad you don't live with three others in an old Best Western room in Kissimmee where you pay $200 a week for a 'home' ...

How anyone lives in Florida on less than $15-20 an hour blows my mind.

There's a huge exodus of CMs to Highway 27 in Polk/Lake Counties (or the "golden triangle" as the real estate agents try to sell it to dopey Brits with too much money). Entire neighborhoods of four- and five-bedroom tourist homes are now being rented out by CMs who live 4 or 5 to a house. Roommates are a way of life in this town. As Funmeister said, even married couples often have roommates. And even low-level managers are hourly, so they work the overtime when they can. Good friend of mine is a land-level manager in MK--he's working just shy of 100 hours this week, so he can bank some money to pay the rent and eat come February.

I've said before that Orlando (well, greater LBV, not downtown or Seminole County) is second only to NYC in terms of cities with its own unique culture. The way things work here (the roommate thing, Halloween being bigger than Christmas, a complete acceptance of gays), the terms we throw around ("it's my Friday"), they seem strange to the rest of the U.S.

alissafalco

I know this is going to sound terrible, but, they must be OK with it because they continue to take abuse from Guests and make little or nothing. There is a fine line between loyalty and stupidity. Look for something else, somewhere else if it is that bad. Seriously, you want Disney to pay more money for people without enough sense to go out and better themselves? Is it difficult? Yes, sometimes but we all make choices and, to my knowledge, no one has a gun to their heads to work there and try and live on next to no wages. What is the reason? The love of Disney? Really? Is it normal to want to stay down or do they lack the skills and ability to do anything else. If that is the case, nothing is going to get better on the outside. No one is owed a living. They weren't hired and then told later how much they were going to make per hour. Don't have an education? Go get one or resign oneself to sub-standard pay and screwy hours. From everything I hear, working for Disney is not really a fun place to be most of the time.

You don't know what the personal situations are of these people. To go out and get a better job and get a better education may be easier said than done.

artvandelay

There are many places I would recommend. It depends on price, needs and whether you'll have a car.

I highly advise using Priceline.com's Name Your Own Price bidding service. I've never been disappointed by any Anaheim area lodging I have received with it. I recently helped some friends and they wound up with the Embassy Suites North for $65 a night with free parking, free cooked to order breakfast and free booze and appetizers (five nights).

I do NOT advise booking some of the mom and pop fan fave's along Harbor Blvd at all.
Thanks for the info. Have never used Priceline, but this could be the perfect opportunity. Going for one night and want to walk to the park.

71jason

It's nothing they aren't up front about.

You get paid less than minimum wage and have room and board taken out of your paycheck directly, in exchange you can have a semester's worth of intern credits on your transcript (assuming you did your homework ahead of time and your college accepts them) and you get to put Walt Disney World on your resume and have an instant talking point in an interview for the next 10 years.

Please. They strongly imply you'll be doing work in your field--like the intern credits on your transcript suggest. Instead, I meet music majors who do janitorial work and econ majors working the ticket gates 12 hours a day. It's pure and simple a way to get cheap labor.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Mom is gonna come in here and spank us for not cleaning our rooms and discussing big word adult topics on this family friendly board. We should probably stop while we are ahead.

Even though there's so stinking much I wanna say. And I know I'm part of the problem. I'm apparently going through a rebellious phase ( no I'm tired of working like a dog for pebbles with piling student loan debt unable to afford a house car or children in the next thirty years and no I won't shop on Black Friday or thanksgiving RAAAAAHHHHHHHH).

Even still, I'd rather be at disney. Falling apart and held together by hope and duct tape or not, it's better than the impending snow storm we are about to get nailed with.

Tomorrow's forecast: ice pellets! ( oh how I wish that was a joke)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
You don't know what the personal situations are of these people. To go out and get a better job and get a better education may be easier said than done.
I agree with this statement. But, it's not the responsibility of an employer to make sure someone lives at a certain level of comfort or existence. Employers provide jobs at a wage that is supported by the market. If people in the area don't like what the market supports they should leave the market or strive to improve the market. Making sure jobs go to those legally entitled to have them would be a start, but no one wants to talk about that subject because it's not tolerant to accuse someone of being somewhere illegally......

71jason

I know this is going to sound terrible, but, they must be OK with it because they continue to take abuse from Guests and make little or nothing. There is a fine line between loyalty and stupidity. Look for something else, somewhere else if it is that bad. Seriously, you want Disney to pay more money for people without enough sense to go out and better themselves? Is it difficult? Yes, sometimes but we all make choices and, to my knowledge, no one has a gun to their heads to work there and try and live on next to no wages. What is the reason? The love of Disney? Really? Is it normal to want to stay down or do they lack the skills and ability to do anything else. If that is the case, nothing is going to get better on the outside. No one is owed a living. They weren't hired and then told later how much they were going to make per hour. Don't have an education? Go get one or resign oneself to sub-standard pay and screwy hours. From everything I hear, working for Disney is not really a fun place to be most of the time.

I'm not completely unsympathetic to this position in theory. However, moving ain't cheap. Deposit plus first and last month rent, cost of moving your stuff--and there's no guarantee you'll get a job right away. And that's not even accounting for student loans, the curse of Gen Y (did you know there is more student loan debt than consumer credit debt in the US? topic for another day tho). When you make diddly/squat in Florida, it can be hard to move back North unless you can crash with mom and dad. For many years starting out my only goal was to get the hell out of this state, but financially I just couldn't. Now that I probably could afford to, I have enough ties to keep me here.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Making sure jobs go to those legally entitled to have them would be a start, but no one wants to talk about that subject because it's not tolerant to accuse someone of being somewhere illegally......

I'm sure Disney has plenty of "those types" since, like the college kids, they are more willing to put up with the low wages.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I'm not completely unsympathetic to this position in theory. However, moving ain't cheap. Deposit plus first and last month rent, cost of moving your stuff--and there's no guarantee you'll get a job right away. And that's noth even accounting for student loans, the curse of Gen Y (did you know there is more student loan debt than consumer credit debt in the US? topic for another day tho). When you make diddly/squat in Florida, it can be hard to move back North unless you can crash with mom and dad. For many years starting out my only goal was to get the hell out of this state, but financially I just couldn't. Now that I probably could afford to, I have enough ties to keep me here.

This is exactly where I'm at in my life. I can't afford to leave despite working full time and over time. It's hard to keep ones head above the water as of late and the cost of living keeps rising.

Living paycheck to paycheck is becoming a luxury for people.

I don't understand how theme parks numbers are as good as they are with so many people on the verge of drowning. Surely everyone can't be using just credit cards. Or are they?

71jason

Neither of those are unique to NYC and Orlando, and the third is more common than some people give credit.

NYC is its own culture different than Orlando. Whole world onto itself. That said, having lived all down the east coast, anywhere else the roommate thing is looked askance at once you hit, say, 26, and the acceptance of gays--maybe in certain NPR-listening circles but not the way it is down here. I see the looks on my out-of-town friends when I casually mention "Scott's husband" or "Brett's boyfriend." Things I don't even think about because it's so common still get a rise out of people.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I'm sure Disney has plenty of "those types" since, like the college kids, they are more willing to put up with the low wages.
Yep and if those types were not in the market, Disney might have to pay a higher wage.......but realize that Disney will pass that along to the consumer.

Animaniac93-98

the acceptance of gays--maybe in certain NPR-listening circles but not the way it is down here. I see the looks on my out-of-town friends when I casually mention "Scott's husband" or "Brett's boyfriend." Things I don't even think about because it's so common still get a rise out of people.

While the south has its, er, "unique history" on the subject of social progress, claiming only NPR listerners accept "teh gays" flys in the face of most polling across the US and the rapid social change on the subject. I hear even in the south it's a different story in more urban areas.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not completely unsympathetic to this position in theory. However, moving ain't cheap. Deposit plus first and last month rent, cost of moving your stuff--and there's no guarantee you'll get a job right away. And that's noth even accounting for student loans, the curse of Gen Y (did you know there is more student loan debt than consumer credit debt in the US? topic for another day tho). When you make diddly/squat in Florida, it can be hard to move back North unless you can crash with mom and dad. For many years starting out my only goal was to get the hell out of this state, but financially I just couldn't. Now that I probably could afford to, I have enough ties to keep me here.
Up in my hood people move to Florida because it's so much cheaper to live. I know of a few people who moved to FL to get out of mom and dad's basement. There are probably cheaper places to live, but if you are struggling to get by in FL it's definitely not likely going to be easier if you move somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom