The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funmeister

I know this is going to sound terrible, but, they must be OK with it because they continue to take abuse from Guests and make little or nothing. There is a fine line between loyalty and stupidity. Look for something else, somewhere else if it is that bad. Seriously, you want Disney to pay more money for people without enough sense to go out and better themselves? Is it difficult? Yes, sometimes but we all make choices and, to my knowledge, no one has a gun to their heads to work there and try and live on next to no wages. What is the reason? The love of Disney? Really? Is it normal to want to stay down or do they lack the skills and ability to do anything else. If that is the case, nothing is going to get better on the outside. No one is owed a living. They weren't hired and then told later how much they were going to make per hour. Don't have an education? Go get one or resign oneself to sub-standard pay and screwy hours. From everything I hear, working for Disney is not really a fun place to be most of the time.

They are trapped. . 15 years ago many top WDW execs did not have a degree. I think you would be shocked to know there was a time where people actually moved up the ladder at Disney. No more. There is no more "moving up." Young kids are trapped through the college program and get caught up in the fun.

Please explainin your solution on how to get young adults out of the trap of low Disney wages sharing an apartment with three or four roommates. Compare the salary of a GSM ($28k to $33k) and the price of living in Central Florida. Most have to get a second job just to make ends meet AFTER working overtime at Disney.

Cesar R M

Interesting...I, nor my wife, nor my friends I made on my college program got "trapped".

Sounds like "trapped" is another word for the inability to make a remotely adult decision halfway through college.
Well, it depends on what you call a TRAP too, I keep hearing nightmare things about college debt, programs and how expensive it is to get education in the US by many of my american friends (and even some familiars).
and a lot of them call the whole affair of the Student loans a full life trap for students.

the.dreamfinder

Well, it depends on what you call a TRAP too, I keep hearing nightmare things about college debt, programs and how expensive it is to get education in the US by many of my american friends (and even some familiars).
and a lot of them call the whole affair of the Student loans a full life trap for students.
Now that is a trap. Being tied down with a 5 or 6 figure load of debt when you're getting started in the professional world. No way those folks will buy new cars or houses or have kids.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They are trapped. . 15 years ago many top WDW execs did not have a degree. I think you would be shocked to know there was a time where people actually moved up the ladder at Disney. No more. There is no more "moving up." Young kids are trapped through the college program and get caught up in the fun.

Please explainin your solution on how to get young adults out of the trap of low Disney wages sharing an apartment with three or four roommates. Compare the salary of a GSM ($28k to $33k) and the price of living in Central Florida. Most have to get a second job just to make ends meet AFTER working overtime at Disney.

I'm not at all familiar with the inner workings of the college program, but isn't it more like an internship program? A chance to earn some money while in college. Are people graduating from college with a degree and continuing to work at minimum wage jobs at WDW? I just assumed it was something you did to earn some extra cash during college before you go out and get an actual full time job in your field.

jakeman

If you are relating that to the College Program, then perhaps staying at home with a better paying job over the summer and saving is a better option than flitting off to WDW for a $6/hour job.

Seems much angst is self inflicted, yet personal responsibility is for naught with many youngins these days.

Now excuse me, I have to shoo some of them off my lawn.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
They are trapped. 15 years ago many top WDW execs did not have a degree. I think you would be shocked to know there was a time where people actually moved up the ladder at Disney. No more. There is no more "moving up." Young kids are trapped through the college program and get caught up in the fun.

Do you have a solution on how to get young adults out of the trap of low Disney wages sharing an apartment with three or four roommates? Compare the salary of a GSM ($28k to $33k) and the price of living in Central Florida. Most have to get a second job just to make ends meet AFTER working overtime at Disney.

Always attack the point and not the person. See, a little editing, a little less verbose, more polite, and not near as bellicose. You also make a stronger point by not appearing to be going Krakatoa.

jakeman

This discussion can only devolve into one that has no place here on a Disney News and Rumors forum. I'm ready to have said discussion.....but if we are going to talk about things like wage theft, living wage, wage disparity, earned sick time, affordable health care, etc.....then we had better fasten our seatbelts.
I don't need to get into that.

I just wanted to dispel the myth that the college program is some sort of brainwashing cabal out to devour college students into full time, low paying jobs for the rest of their life.

Cesar R M

If you are relating that to the College Program, then perhaps staying at home with a better paying job over the summer and saving is a better option than flitting off to WDW for a $6/hour job.

Seems much angst is self inflicted, yet personal responsibility is for naught with many new grads these days.
I'm not familiar with the college program, but considering how Funmeister lashed out, it seems there is something dirty down there in that said program. ( a way by Disney to skim paying higher dues under the disguise of "helping students"?)

Kinda reminds me of the company TELEVISA in Mexico.
They very year make a "donation fest" thing called TELETON.
Its nice and dandy to help whole loads of kids with disabilities and build recovery centers for them....
until you see the dirty truth that this company is using all the donations to pay for their taxes.. in short.. Televisa uses this to earn money via Tax Fraud. (declaring the people's donation as theirs, and thus paying no tax)
to resume: wolves hiding inside sheep skin and screaming "IM TOTALLY FOR HELPING!".

In other news, Im grumpy.. my AC froze again despite not putting it lower than 25C.
I hate minis splits of the MIRAGE brand.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I thank God that internet message forums were not around back in Edison's day. We may never have gotten the light bulb.....

Ps and you are a bully for calling someone else a terrible person.

Shut up Captain Meanie Pants.

What fun is that? :p

It isn't as much fun unless you're talented enough to make your point via a pithy comment that is slightly obscured by overwhelming weirdness. However, if you focus on arguments and not the person making them, soon you'll find that your own debate skills will be refined and you'll make points better. Further, on occasion, an argument from the opposing side will resonate with you and you'll realize there is indeed another way to look at things and next thing you know a solution is reached. It is a skill that we as a society seem to be slowly losing.

jakeman

I'm not familiar with the college program, but considering ohw Funmeister lashed out, it seems there is something dirty down there in that said program. ( a way by Disney to skim paying higher dues under the disguise of "helping students"?)
It's nothing they aren't up front about.

You get paid less than minimum wage and have room and board taken out of your paycheck directly, in exchange you can have a semester's worth of intern credits on your transcript (assuming you did your homework ahead of time and your college accepts them) and you get to put Walt Disney World on your resume and have an instant talking point in an interview for the next 10 years.

jakeman

It isn't as much fun unless you're talented enough to make your point via a pithy comment that is slightly obscured by overwhelming weirdness. However, if you focus on arguments and not the person making them, soon you'll find that your own debate skills will be refined and you'll make points better. Further, on occasion, an argument from the opposing side will resonate with you and you'll realize there is indeed another way to look at things and next thing you know a solution is reached. It is a skill that we as a society seem to be slowly losing.
I'd really just rather insult you and then hear my own opinion reverberate off those of other like minded individuals...:cautious:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I'm not familiar with the college program, but considering ohw Funmeister lashed out, it seems there is something dirty down there in that said program. ( a way by Disney to skim paying higher dues under the disguise of "helping students"?)

Kinda reminds me of the company TELEVISA in Mexico.
They very year make a "donation fest" thing called TELETON.
Its nice and dandy to help whole loads of kids with disabilities and build recovery centers for them....
until you see the dirty truth that this company is using all the donations to pay for their taxes.. in short.. Televisa uses this to earn money via Tax Fraud. (declaring the people's donation as theirs, and thus paying no tax)
to resume: wolves hiding inside sheep skin and screaming "IM TOTALLY FOR HELPING!".

In other news, Im grumpy.. my AC froze again despite not putting it lower than 25C.
I hate minis splits of the MIRAGE brand.
The program is what the program is. I don't think anyone gets roped in without having the opportunity to know full well what they are deciding to do. If they don't then it's no one else's fault.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I don't need to get into that.

I just wanted to dispel the myth that the college program is some sort of brainwashing cabal out to devour college students into full time, low paying jobs for the rest of their life.

To be fair, I think that in the 24 years since I completed my college program stint, I have moved from churro cart lackey to churro cart manager in training. Also, every time the minimum wage is increased I get a raise! I don't think this had anything to do with the movies that my boss made me watch whilst my eyelids were propped open with toothpicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom