The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

It is a good idea because of the picture that the college program paints for them. Part of the problem is that you guys are comparing it to a normal job versus the promises of the college program by Disney. It is not the same thing.

I am NOT talking about people saying..hey..lets move to Florida and work for Disney. I am talking about the college program.
And so you're still talking about adults who are not taking a life affecting decision seriously. There is no excuse for anybody today entering the College Program to not know what it entails. It takes all of a few minutes with Google to see plenty of first hand accounts.

Cesar R M

And so you're still talking about adults who are not taking a life affecting decision seriously. There is no excuse for anybody today entering the College Program to not know what it entails. It takes all of a few minutes with Google to see plenty of first hand accounts.

I think we all agree that if you're going into the college program.

a) Build and have some savings before entering.
b) work part time only at Disney and rely on a third party job for finances, since Disney will offer no help money wise and is not enough to sustain oneself.
c) Rely on a safety net with a tutor or parent until you're out and ready to take a full time job of the Job type the person graduated in.

because a college program is never to maintain yourself and/or work forever.
It only gives you experience (and experience credits) towards future jobs.

(by the way, to expand further my points regarding saving money little by little... I've seen many students immediately blow whatever money they have left on booze, games, the new xbox or stuff like that.
I had never interest in these.. so I saved them towards a trip elsewhere.)

jakeman

It is a good idea because of the picture that the college program paints for them. Part of the problem is that you guys are comparing it to a normal job versus the promises of the college program by Disney. It is not the same thing.

I am NOT talking about people saying..hey..lets move to Florida and work for Disney. I am talking about the college program.
Pretty sure that's what I've been talking about too. Let's look back:
Really? I must have missed the pharmaceutical development box on my safari application all those years ago, because I knew full well that doing the CP was nothing but a fun distraction with no more than a remote ancillary benefit to any career progression that I was pursuing.

They never implied I would be doing anything remotely near my field of study, nor my wife's. It was intern credits if your college accepted them. That was it.
Interesting...I, nor my wife, nor my friends I made on my college program got "trapped".

Sounds like "trapped" is another word for the inability to make a remotely adult decision halfway through college.
It's nothing they aren't up front about.

You get paid less than minimum wage and have room and board taken out of your paycheck directly, in exchange you can have a semester's worth of intern credits on your transcript (assuming you did your homework ahead of time and your college accepts them) and you get to put Walt Disney World on your resume and have an instant talking point in an interview for the next 10 years.
Yep...all about the college program.

Funmeister

please stop trying to skew what I write.

I just mentioned my personal experience.. and how I worked under somewhat similar conditions in what you call a "third world country". Studying, working 2 jobs.. and having to pay the bills. (to resume, I studied, I worked and I paid bills, and still saved a few USD from time to time, even cents or tips helped savings)

Of course... having a safety net in parents help too; but not many have that luxury.

Also, I have no idea why you're taking this way too personally as you're sounding more and more acidic towards everyone and skewing stuff (almost like you only read what you WANT to read)

lol I am not skewing anything. You wrote about YOUR personal experience and I simply am making a point that it is not comparable to the college program because you were not on the college program. Where did I say it was a "third world country?" Who is skewing who? You are the one making up quotes that I did not say.

I ask about YOUR personal experience on the college program and you can't. It amazes me that you make comments as if you did the college program...but you didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Funmeister

Correct but where was google 20 years ago? IT is too late for people prior to google. Disney did an incredible job selling people on the program. Telling students that they could easily get the hours to afford to live. Not true. With limited hours, low pay rate and weekly $200 rent (depends where you lived) the company blew over a lot of the details ensuring students they could live and pay responsibilities. Truth is most cold not.

Funmeister

Pretty sure that's what I've been talking about too. Let's look back:

Yep...all about the college program.

"It's nothing they aren't up front about."

Sorry but it has a LOT to do with what they are NOT up front about. Disney sold thousands of students that thye could survive and take financial responsibility while working on their program. This was not always the case.

"They never implied I would be doing anything remotely near my field of study, nor my wife's. It was intern credits if your college accepted them. That was it."

Not true. There were many recruiting sessions that they told students they would fit them in to roles that were closest to their majors. This goes especially for advanced internships.

"You get paid less than minimum wage and have room and board taken out of your paycheck directly, in exchange you can have a semester's worth of intern credits on your transcript (assuming you did your homework ahead of time and your college accepts them) and you get to put Walt Disney World on your resume and have an instant talking point in an interview for the next 10 years."

That is not how they sold it to students and you know it. It was nor has ever been that black and white.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Correct but where was google 20 years ago? IT is too late for people prior to google. Disney did an incredible job selling people on the program. Telling students that they could easily get the hours to afford to live. Not true. With limited hours, low pay rate and weekly $200 rent (depends where you lived) the company blew over a lot of the details ensuring students they could live and pay responsibilities. Truth is most cold not.
I would love to see some support for your position that twenty years ago Disney was putting the screws to CP intentionally with malice and evil scheming

jakeman

I did the CP prior to Google and I turned out fine. So did ALL of my CP buddies.
"It's nothing they aren't up front about."

Sorry but it has a LOT to do with what they are NOT up front about. Disney sold thousands of students that thye could survive and take financial responsibility while working on their program. This was not always the case.
Because of Disney or because the CPers don't have the financial wherewithal to live within their means? Because neither I nor my friends had to resort to donating organs in our time there.

"They never implied I would be doing anything remotely near my field of study, nor my wife's. It was intern credits if your college accepted them. That was it."

Not true. There were many recruiting sessions that they told students they would fit them in to roles that were closest to their majors. This goes especially for advanced internships.
Sounds like you and many of the people I interacted with had completely different recruitment experiences. With that said, I will have to take umbrage with you stating that my personal experience is not accurate. I was a Clinical Research major seeking a CP job at Disney. I knew they didn't have a secret Phase 1 monkey lab under the castle. Just like my wife who was in college to be a teacher knew she wouldn't be giving classroom tours of the animal habitats. We drove safari trucks.We knew that going in.

"You get paid less than minimum wage and have room and board taken out of your paycheck directly, in exchange you can have a semester's worth of intern credits on your transcript (assuming you did your homework ahead of time and your college accepts them) and you get to put Walt Disney World on your resume and have an instant talking point in an interview for the next 10 years."

That is not how they sold it to students and you know it. It was nor has ever been that black and white.
That's exactly how they sold it to me and dozens of other college students my age years ago.

Just curious, when did you do the college program?

Funmeister

I think we all agree that if you're going into the college program.

a) Build and have some savings before entering.
b) work part time only at Disney and rely on a third party job for finances, since Disney will offer no help money wise and is not enough to sustain oneself.
c) Rely on a safety net with a tutor or parent until you're out and ready to take a full time job of the Job type the person graduated in.

because a college program is never to maintain yourself and/or work forever.
It only gives you experience (and experience credits) towards future jobs.

(by the way, to expand further my points regarding saving money little by little... I've seen many students immediately blow whatever money they have left on booze, games, the new xbox or stuff like that.
I had never interest in these.. so I saved them towards a trip elsewhere.)

I agree with some of your points

a). Unfortunately they do not offer this advice to applicants. They should.

b) You are not allowed by contract to have another job while on the college program. Many would secretly get a job in order to pay bills. Maybe this would work for those working as a CT or CR NOT on the program.

Sure some students blow money on the items you mentioned but that is not why students cannot make ends meet living at Vista Way.

the.dreamfinder

Found this piece on the college program and it has a nice twist to it.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/8464524/#.UpQrEH-9KK0
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla.Dan Cockerell spent his time as a Walt Disney World college intern checking guests into their hotel rooms, working as a custodian and parking cars. He says the experience 16 years ago has been useful in his current job as general manager of the Disney All Star Resort.
Cockerell regularly tells college interns that they can handle anything after being in the program.

“Guests walk up to you and ... they expect all the great service and heritage, and you have to know everything about everything,” Cockerell said. “It’s a bit overwhelming. So I tell the college program students, ‘Just roll with it. I guarantee if you get through this thing, you’ll get through a lot.”’
You'll especially get through a lot when your daddy is a senior executive at the resort!

Last edited:

Funmeister

I did the CP prior to Google and I turned out fine. So did ALL of my CP buddies.
Because of Disney or because the CPers don't have the financial wherewithal to live within their means? Because neither I nor my friends had to resort to donating organs in our time there.

Sounds like you and many of the people I interacted with had completely different recruitment experiences. With that said, I will have to take umbrage with you stating that my personal experience is not accurate. I was a Clinical Research major seeking a CP job at Disney. I knew they didn't have a secret Phase 1 monkey lab under the castle. Just like my wife who was in college to be a teacher knew she wouldn't be giving classroom tours of the animal habitats. We drove safari trucks.We knew that going in.

That's exactly how they sold it to me and dozens of other college students my age years ago.

Just curious, when did you do the college program?

Well Jake...man...I am happy it worked out great for you I really am. Not necessarily saying your experience is not accurate. It very well be accurate for you. None of my comments have been based on your personal experience.

My comments have been made based on what I know, Cast Members that I know, working with and for people that work/worked in college recruiting. Not based on YOUR experience. Do not discount what I am saying because you and your wife had a good experience. That is bad form.

jakeman

Well Jake...man...I am happy it worked out great for you I really am. Not necessarily saying your experience is not accurate. It very well be accurate for you. None of my comments have been based on your personal experience.

My comments have been made based on what I know, Cast Members that I know, working with and for people that work/worked in college recruiting. Not based on YOUR experience. Do not discount what I am saying because you and your wife had a good experience. That is bad form.
I would think the inverse of your statement holds true as well and therefore would also apply to you, especially since I have made it very clear that I am referencing dozens of people I met, know, and keep in touch with since my CP.

I did notice that you neglected to say when you participated in the college program. Care to provide that information as requested?

Funmeister

I would love to see some support for your position that twenty years ago Disney was putting the screws to CP intentionally with malice and evil scheming

Personal experiences and this forum is hardly the time or place I would jeopardize myself or others who work for the company. You can believe me or not. Your decision but thanks for the reply!

Funmeister

I would think the inverse of your statement holds true as well and therefore would also apply to you, especially since I have made it very clear that I am referencing dozens of people I met, know, and keep in touch with since my CP.

I did notice that you neglected to say when you participated in the college program. Care to provide that information as requested?

I missed that question. Ill give you that information. Lived in Snow White Village in 1985. You said you were on the safari?

jakeman

I missed that question. Ill give you that information. Lived in Snow White Village in 1985. You said you were on the safari?
Correct, in 1999, so right in the time frame that you insist there was a grand conspiracy to rape and pillage the future of America's youth.

Funmeister

Correct, in 1999, so right in the time frame that you insist there was a grand conspiracy to rape and pillage the future of America's youth.

lol...I made my point clear that it has been over time. I never gave a time frame of 1999. I never insisted that 1999 was the dawn of the cp apocalypse.

khale1970

You've worked at WDW since 1985 with a college degree (assumed since you were a CP worker) and still make marginally above the minimum wage? I'm shocked that WDW can get away with that. The grocery store I worked at in a low wage southern city from 1988-1993 paid around $10/hour to full time experienced workers and $5/hour to new full time employees in those days. It must be 2-3 times that now.

Why in the world did you stick it out at WDW for miserable wages through two of the best job markets (late 1980s and mid 1990s) of the past 100 years?

Funmeister

You've worked at WDW since 1985 with a college degree (assumed since you were a CP worker) and still make marginally above the minimum wage? I'm shocked that WDW can get away with that. The grocery store I worked at in a low wage southern city from 1988-1993 paid around $10/hour to full time experienced workers and $5/hour to new full time employees in those days. It must be 2-3 times that now.

Why in the world did you stick it out at WDW for miserable wages through two of the best job markets (late 1980s and mid 1990s) of the past 100 years?

Please quote my post where I said it was me whom I was speaking about. I experienced it first hand but that does not mean I am talking about my own personal experience. Also, you have no idea who I am or what I do for the company so please do not assume you know anything about me.

Cesar R M

lol I am not skewing anything. You wrote about YOUR personal experience and I simply am making a point that it is not comparable to the college program because you were not on the college program. Where did I say it was a "third world country?" Who is skewing who? You are the one making up quotes that I did not say.

Whoa..sounds like I struck a nerve huh? I call you out on showing me where you quoted me and you can't. I ask about YOUR personal experience on the college program and you can't. It amazes me that you make comments as if you did the college program...but you didn't.

It will be ok. lol Still waiting for you to show me that quote.

*Facepalm*
you're skewing my words again, as I never said that you had said "third world country"
I mean it as in "I AM LIVING IN MEXICO, what America (the US) calls a "third world country", Ie what americans would say regarding the living conditions and stability of this country.)

Regardless of this or not, there are people who barely can make living standard, food, or even roof.

Second, I never claimed that "I DID THE COLLEGE PROGRAM".. STOP TRYING TO IMPLY THAT.
My talking about a similar experience regarding a student, with loans, having to work and doing "programs" to get the points.
If you really insist you cant make a similarity between students.. there is really no hope with the "special snowflake" Aura that you're emanating from your posts. :/

Well, things do change.. The big business owners and CEOS now expect to double their value in bonuses, credits and stock in less than a year.. they become extremely greedy after the COM and internet boosts. (they all expect nowadays to have huge increases like apple and google).

I agree with some of your points

a). Unfortunately they do not offer this advice to applicants. They should.

b) You are not allowed by contract to have another job while on the college program. Many would secretly get a job in order to pay bills. Maybe this would work for those working as a CT or CR NOT on the program.

Sure some students blow money on the items you mentioned but that is not why students cannot make ends meet living at Vista Way.

if b) is true, then that's a serious problem that would affect anyone.
I didnt know you were forced to work the full time and exclusively to Disney at all costs.
Every university I went always asked to work, do a course or make a research paper (thesis). And helped you find jobs that were accommodating to your workload as you study.

Found this piece on the college program and it has a nice twist to it.

You'll especially get through a lot when your daddy is a senior executive of the resort!
lol, agree with you..
when someone can just give you an infinite credit or infinite credit card to live.. everything is easy!.

*edit* anyway to prevent this from escalating, I will no longer answer to the theme at hand. Better be safe and keep things sane than continue and risking a full postal forum brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom