The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That end could be achieved without ever involving The Walt Disney Company in the first place. Such a stunt has no benefit for the Chinese. It would kill confidence in their economy because other companies would fear loosing their money to similiar action.

RIght now companies have to beg for PERMISSION to invest in China and they need a State owned partner, There have been more than one company which has lost it's rights to their own IP in China. A well known example is Fellowes

http://www.manufacturingnews.com/news/11/0415/Fellowes1.html

Fellowes one day found themselves locked out of their factory and their IP and tooling was now in the hands of their Chinese STATE-OWNED partner. So much for the dream of owning the Chinese shredder market.

Cesar R M

My uncle lives in Dubai.. I wonder if he'll ever go to Disneyland Dubai...
If they build it, I would be very sorry for the Costume characters due of the insanely high temps(also they will probably use mostly migrants? I read everywhere that saudis do not like any of these kind of jobs).

RIght now companies have to beg for PERMISSION to invest in China and they need a State owned partner, There have been more than one company which has lost it's rights to their own IP in China. A well known example is Fellowes

http://www.manufacturingnews.com/news/11/0415/Fellowes1.html

Fellowes one day found themselves locked out of their factory and their IP and tooling was now in the hands of their Chinese STATE-OWNED partner. So much for the dream of owning the Chinese shredder market.

Don't they all also lose the rights of their tech secrets? (Ie, like samsung and apple.. where the factories even run at midnight to make chinese clones of established products under a white-label brand... I remember reading this huge documentary about this where the most affected companies were Kingston and other memory manufacturers back in 2008).

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If they build it, I would be very sorry for the Costume characters due of the insanely high temps(also they will probably use mostly migrants? I read everywhere that saudis do not like any of these kind of jobs).

Don't they all also lose the rights of their tech secrets? (Ie, like samsung and apple.. where the factories even run at midnight to make chinese clones of established products under a white-label brand... I remember reading this huge documentary about this where the most affected companies were Kingston and other memory manufacturers back in 2008).

Yes, Cisco currently has a huge problem with 'third shift' products, Products which are genuine in every way except their production was not authorized by Cisco.

These have been showing up in increasing numbers in the legitimate supply chain and the customer usually only finds out when they attempt to have unit added to service contract and it turns out the serial # does not exist in Cisco's database.

BrianLo

Spirited Star Wars News:

Project appears to be finalized and Miceage/Dusty/Al looks like they got it right. Basically all of Tomorrowland with the exception of Buzz, Space Mountain, Star Tours (naturally) and the monorail will be leaving as part of a massive reskinning of the land. Ewoks and their forest home will take over the sub lagoon/Autopia area.

multiple attractions, dining and retail will be part of this massive project, which is scheduled to begin late in the 60th Anniversary celebration (2015-2016).

As for WDW, don't read anything into the above as of yet.

@WDW1974 - So apparently the Nemo subs are now on the refurb schedule from Jan 16-Sep 26. Should we be interpreting this as an indefinite rehab?

Seems like a crazy amount of time for a ride that is supposed to be gone a little over a year later.

Alice is also down for 4 months, seemingly all but confirming the redo of the Fantasyland dark rides for the 60th.

TP2000

My uncle lives in Dubai.. I wonder if he'll ever go to Disneyland Dubai...

There will never be a Disneyland Dubai. You need sufficient middle class population to build a Disneyland, and Dubai doesn't have that and the Middle East demographics won't provide that this century. And with North Dakota now producing more oil per year than many Middle East sheikdoms, not to mention Texas, that region's importance as an oil hub lessens with every fracking rig setting up each day.

At best, assuming the region doesn't implode politically and/or economically for any number of looming reasons, Dubai will remain a key financial center for the region and a convenient airport hub for Emirates. But it doesn't currently have the demographics to support a legit Disneyland, nor do it's demographics point to that changing in the decades ahead. They can't even get a Six Flags.

That's why Universal Studios Dubai, Six Flags Dubai, Sea World Dubia, LEGOLAND Dubai, DreamWorks Dubia, and the entire Dubailand project dissolved into the shifting desert sands and were never heard from again. (But, they had websites! And a preview center! And... websites!)

Now India, and Brazil, those are different stories. It wouldn't surprise me to see a Disneyland Resort in either of those countries in the next 25 years. I think Brazil has a better chance in the 2020's before India will in the 30's or 40's.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes, Cisco currently has a huge problem with 'third shift' products, Products which are genuine in every way except their production was not authorized by Cisco.

These have been showing up in increasing numbers in the legitimate supply chain and the customer usually only finds out when they attempt to have unit added to service contract and it turns out the serial # does not exist in Cisco's database.

First I've heard of it. Cisco's prime manufacturing and integration partner is Foxconn.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
First I've heard of it. Cisco's prime manufacturing and integration partner is Foxconn.

Remember Foxconn itself uses sub-contractors to produce their products as do all the big assembly houses in Shenzen (where most are located), No implication that Foxconn itself knew anything about this issue.

Here is a FBI PowerPoint from 2008

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread350381/pg1

Here is a link to an article on a device to detect counterfeit Cisco in government networks from late last year.

http://www.nextgov.com/cio-briefing...-suppliers-device-id-counterfeit-parts/59782/

This has been a big problem for a long time, I've personally run into counterfeit CWDM optics, Optics came from a large well known Cisco reseller but the switch said 'unsupported SFP' hence they were counterfeit but the boxes seals etc were perfect.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There will never be a Disneyland Dubai. You need sufficient middle class population to build a Disneyland, and Dubai doesn't have that and the Middle East demographics won't provide that this century. And with North Dakota now producing more oil per year than many Middle East sheikdoms, not to mention Texas, that region's importance as an oil hub lessens with every fracking rig setting up each day.

At best, assuming the region doesn't implode politically and/or economically for any number of looming reasons, Dubai will remain a key financial center for the region and a convenient airport hub for Emirates. But it doesn't currently have the demographics to support a legit Disneyland, nor do it's demographics point to that changing in the decades ahead. They can't even get a Six Flags.

That's why Universal Studios Dubai, Six Flags Dubai, Sea World Dubia, LEGOLAND Dubai, DreamWorks Dubia, and the entire Dubailand project dissolved into the shifting desert sands and were never heard from again. (But, they had websites! And a preview center! And... websites!)

Now India, and Brazil, those are different stories. It wouldn't surprise me to see a Disneyland Resort in either of those countries in the next 25 years. I think Brazil has a better chance in the 2020's before India will in the 30's or 40's.

Not sure about the order, I work with a LOT of people from India and most of them REALLY like Disney, Especially the parks, So I would not be surprised if there was a DL Mumbai or Hyderabad before one in Brazil based on the saga's a DL India could have some mindblowing attractions which are culturally specific to India

(I do keep my mouth shut about what I think of quality, since for many of them it's their first time there)

Cesar R M

Remember Foxconn itself uses sub-contractors to produce their products as do all the big assembly houses in Shenzen (where most are located), No implication that Foxconn itself knew anything about this issue.

Here is a FBI PowerPoint from 2008

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread350381/pg1

Here is a link to an article on a device to detect counterfeit Cisco in government networks from late last year.

http://www.nextgov.com/cio-briefing...-suppliers-device-id-counterfeit-parts/59782/

This has been a big problem for a long time, I've personally run into counterfeit CWDM optics, Optics came from a large well known Cisco reseller but the switch said 'unsupported SFP' hence they were counterfeit but the boxes seals etc were perfect.
heh, I remember reading the case of cisco and similar routers from CHINA...having a huge security problem too, because some of them were loaded with firmwares with vulnerabilities added (or even hardware type snooping) to spy the unsuspecting customers.

flynnibus

Premium Member

None of that supports your accusation where the legit manufacturer is the one building the counterfeits - all of that material references resellers passing on the counterfeit goods.

And simply seeing unsupported sfp doesn't mean counterfeit. With 1g vs 10g and sfp vs sfp+ now the compatibility matrices are far more complex and confusing. I'll personally have lost way too much hair fighting a nexus switch over what should have been a working sfp saying exactly that :)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
None of that supports your accusation where the legit manufacturer is the one building the counterfeits - all of that material references resellers passing on the counterfeit goods.

And simply seeing unsupported sfp doesn't mean counterfeit. With 1g vs 10g and sfp vs sfp+ now the compatibility matrices are far more complex and confusing. I'll personally have lost way too much hair fighting a nexus switch over what should have been a working sfp saying exactly that :)

If you don't know this command it is quite helpful - 'service unsupported-transceiver' works for bringing up 3rd party optics and optics with bad checksums which is another cause of 'unsupported SFP'

in my case even 'service unsupported-transceiver' would not bring them online, Some genuine ones with the SAME part number did bring the links up.

if you can't get the optic to work I've found these numbers to be helpful.

1 800 553 2447
1 408 526 7209

A quick call to your SE/AM is also useful in these cases.

artvandelay

The Annabella is pretty good, although you'll want to walk north on Disneyland Drive towards the Grand Californian to access Downtown Disney and the Esplanade for both theme park entrances. The Fairfield by Marriott on Harbor is also good, and a bit closer to the Esplanade than the Annabella. The adjacent Mimi's Café is a great option for breakfast or dinner pre or post Disneyland, at a fraction of the cost of a similar meal on Disneyland property. There's also a brand new Hotel Indigo on Katella, if you are in to stylish hipster boutique hotels as seen through a corporate eye. But that's a hotel option you won't find in Orlando, at least not yet. http://www.hotelindigo.com/hotels/u...srb_u=1&icdv=99504425&siclientid=1933&dp=true

Hotel Indigo Anaheim Maingate - Five minutes walk from Disneyland & DCA
hotel-indigo-vibrant.jpg

The Anaheim Resort District offers up a lot of hotel options, all within walking distance of Disneyland and DCA. It's a shorter walk from the Fairfield to Disneyland than it is from the Contemporary to Magic Kingdom, at about one fifth the nightly rate the Contemporary is charging.

And whatever you do, don't forget to hang out at the Disneyland Hotel's Trader Sam's cocktail lounge post-park, or the Grand Californian's Hearthstone Lounge or Napa Rose Lounge. Using the Grand's park gate, you can be having a cocktail and truffled mac n' cheese within 5 minutes of exiting Radiator Springs Racers or Soarin' Over California at those Grand Californian dining options. Using the Disneyland Monorail to the Downtown Disney station, you are 10 minutes away from Tomorrowland to Trader Sam's lanai.

And if you are heading to Disneyland in February, be prepared for plenty of rehabs and closures in both parks, including Fantasmic!. Unlike TDO, TDA doesn't worry about RUINING VACATIONS! with routine maintenance and upkeep, especially during the slower winter months.
Thanks for all the info!

BrianLo

I have not been to Southern India, but if the North was any indication that's still a long ways off. I do believe that India will eventually experience the same rocket ride China has to the middle class, but that ship has yet to leave the station.

Dubai is leaps and bounds ahead, the problem being it stalled out with the economic downturn.

Who really knows how things will play out ultimately. But I agree as of right now the only place Disney would feasibly consider is Brazil. I think instead we will see them spend the next decade or so focussing on additional parks at their current resorts (Disneyland, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Shanghai particularly).

TP2000

Shanghai today is - right now, not in the future - a global financial powerhouse in a way that Los Angeles never was, nor ever will be.

So, that piqued my interest and sent me to Google for some research. While Shanghai is definitely a dynamic city, a very important ocean port, and glittering world capital, the economic figures show Greater Shanghai still has a long way to go to meet Greater Los Angeles economically.

Greater Los Angeles is LA County, Orange County (Disneyland and Real Housewives!), and small parts of Riverside and San Bernardino Counties that include the eastern suburbs of "LA".

Population
Greater Los Angeles - 18.2 Million
Greater Shanghai - 23.7 Million

Municipal Annual Gross Domestic Product
Greater Los Angeles - 831 Billion Dollars (ranked third globally, behind New York and Tokyo)
Greater Shanghai - 297 Billion Dollars

Median Household Income
Greater Los Angeles - $56,266
Greater Shanghai - $6,397 (official Communist Party stat, although Western sources claim it's closer to $4,600)

Port Shipping Statistics
Ports of LA & Long Beach - 220 Million Annual Cargo Tons
Port of Shanghai - 736 Million Annual Cargo Tons (Busiest in the world!)

Shanghai, at the mouth of the Yangtze River, has cemented its position as a very important port of exit for Chinese goods. It's the principal port for China, and is now the world's busiest container port.

But statistically, Greater Shanghai has many millions of residents living in what Americans would consider deep poverty, with a small but steadily growing middle class, and a tiny but influential upper class. Shanghai's median household income is a fraction of even the poorest US cities in the Rust Belt or Deep South, much less an especially affluent area like Southern California.

Greater Shanghai is indeed an important port city for Chinese exports, and is thus an important financial center for that industry and the largest Chinese city by population. But statistically and economically, it pales remarkably in comparison to Greater Los Angeles now and in the future.

Last edited:

nytimez

So, that piqued my interest and sent me to Google for some research.

Shanghai is a major center of global banking and finance and Los Angeles is not - and I don't know anyone who would claim otherwise. This is the danger of Googling for a quick facts; they may only tell part of the story.

I would encourage you to dig a little deeper.

Also, bear in mind that income figures in China are deceptive and you can't really do an apples-to-apples comparison -- in part because of the false value of the yuan (it's kept artificially low to keep Chinese-made goods cheap, some would say unfairly so), and in part because many state-supported and state-subsidized services bring cost of living down dramatically.

Genie of the Lamp

I know there's been talk of the 'quiet' reduction of P&R execs, but they are not the only division getting hit of late.

Pixar has lost about five percent of its workforce in the last week or so with the excuse being the pushback of The Good Dinosaur from next year to 2015.

Here's the AP story:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ixar-lays-off-5-percent-of-workforce/3682935/

First the 2d folks, now the CG ones. My reaction to this is very similar to the main point in this BSA article; "...that may ultimately culminate in Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios coming more fully under the same roof". I mean just recently, we saw Iger hand Disney Interactive over to Jim Pitaro so they could consolidate the Interactive sector under one Los Angeles-based unit. Just a thought.
http://www.bigscreenanimation.com/2013/11/opinion-pixar-layoff-signals-new.html
Back to WDW, I did find the Niles-Baxter interview quite fascinating (in particular on part 2 talking about attraction misconceptions). Also, while on there, he mentioned in another article that Disney is going to open Pandora in phases (a la NFL). I know you don't like to talk about it, but have you heard anything on that front?

Edit: Also saw on D&M that DLP (the plan as of now) will recieve their TL/Star Wars expansion in 2022.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom