The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Season 7: Fantasmic Journeys [CONCLUDED!]

Evilgidgit

EVILGIDGIT'S REVIEW: STANZA #2 -- TEAM MIND

Depending on what follows in future stanzas, this one might be one of my favourites. Team Mind hit the ground running, throwing every idea imaginable around before quickly settling on an unlikely pair of neighbours – Japanese cinema released by Toho, and a 1950s-1960s beach party genre. There were ideas of a third land, but due to limited space, the team made the logical choice to stick to just two. Thanks to their excellent communication, encourage, and support, Team Mind have produced an expansion that feels the most unique and hypothetically long lasting.

Surf Swell Beach
Admittedly, I was paying more attention to the Toho land than Surf Swell Beach during the creative stage of the stanza, though the end result may be one of the most original, inspired, and unexpected lands in armchair imagineering. It celebrates the beach party subgenre, blending the land’s theming well into the then-remaining idea of filming movies there. Less said about Jake Paul, the better! I suspect those Beach Party movies would’ve been much more entertaining if the Paul brothers were shoved into a cannon and launched into the Sun!

I suspect imaginary guests would be surprised to find a beach resort in the studios. @Sharon&Susan does a great job detailing and fleshing out the intricate details, history, and characters of the land. The fun touches like the potentially cursed golden board, and the opportunity to play volleyball are nice touches.

The Creature Feature Boats is a great concept, a charming if slightly creepy tribute to B-horror films of the time. If a ride is described as being inspired by Marc Davis-esque gags, you know it is going to be good. Has a Stranger Things atmosphere to it in some respects, though less scary.

Rebel Motorcycle Race sounds like a cool motorbike coaster, and aside from minor grammar/spelling errors in the description, it is a good inclusion that could serve as a Floridian counterpart to Californian Screamin’. The description of the characters in the preshow are a little vague in whether or not they are in recorded footage, animatronics, or played by cast members.

I have mixed opinions on the beach party/surfing movie genre, as the ones we were forced to watch in university were nightmarishly boring. Luckily, this is Disney, so Beach Party Palooza makes itself a fun romp. It knows it is a silly and cheesy and runs with it. Though, I can’t really pair Mickey with the hunky surfer dude.

Wipeout Wheel makes for a nice addition to the land, and I loved the idea of a sunny soundtrack on the attraction.

Did you know that Disney Village over at Disneyland Paris has a googie-themed restaurant called Annette’s Diner, or is that just coincidence? Corman’s Cowabunga Café is just darling, and I love the inclusion of even a backstory for the restaurant. Columbia Hat Shop is quaint, and I love the dual small-sized shops as well.

Just about everything in Surf Swell Beach just clicks, tying in nicely to the overall theming that feels like a worthy, supremely better cousin to Paradise Pier, incorporating that sense of timelessness and deep-seated storytelling that was meant to be in DCA 1.0

Toho Town
As soon it was suggested or even decided upon that Studio Ghibli, Godzilla, and Akira Kurosawa’s works were going to be included, I lost my mind. How I have dreamed of this day! As a big fan of Japanese culture, Toho Town is my cup of tea. The details here from the descriptions of the overall land, the presence of a torii gate to the focus on Japan’s obsession with vending machines are just beautiful. The Studio Ghibli area feels like it upholds the sense of natural, untouched wildlife seen in Hayao Miyazaki’s films, whilst the urban area feels lively and offers good food and opportunities to explore the streets of Tokyo. The dining and shops are all fabulous choices, adding to the delights of the land

OH, GODZILLLLAAAAAA!!! Godzilla: Transit in Terror is a masterpiece of an attraction, and definitely one of my favourites in this competition. @DashHaber deserves a medal! It captures the exciting and terrifying atmosphere one might experience if in an actual Godzilla attraction. It takes the intended Godzilla attraction from Epcot and brings it to life like never before. Hail, the King of Monsters!

Spirited Away feels like a quintessential dark ride, complete with wonderful, highly detailed theming in both its ride and queues. Although the outline is a little long, it is worth the whole read just to get lost in the delights the attraction has to offer.

Take me to the Ghibli Gardens! TAKE ME!! I’ve seen a few Japanese-styled gardens close to home, but I want to go to this one. This really encapsulates the studio’s admiration for the environment, and the beauty of nature. Having Totoro has a major M&G character here is a fantastic and very appropriate choice.

A Tale of Trouble & Turmoil sounds like a pretty awesome stunt show that honours the history of the samurai, whilst also incorporating Japanese mythology as well. Although the seppuku might be a bit too extreme!

91JLovesDisney

We always gotta blaze new trails

Quick correction due to a little mix up.

@91JLovesDisney will be the PM of Team Power!
Hi. Uh I've got a really busy workweek and I can be PM if you want, but I don't think I'm going to be much help - I can find time to arrange teams and DMs and such but as far as physically working on the project goes I'm pretty booked this week! I feel honored though!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Hi. Uh I've got a really busy workweek and I can be PM if you want, but I don't think I'm going to be much help - I can find time to arrange teams and DMs and such but as far as physically working on the project goes I'm pretty booked this week! I feel honored though!
Being an absentee PM would be appropriate for this Stanza

AceAstro

@Mr. Duck to this point in the game

SoFine.png

Sharon&Susan

Did you know that Disney Village over at Disneyland Paris has a googie-themed restaurant called Annette’s Diner, or is that just coincidence?
Just a coincidence that came from Annette Funicello being an obvious choice to name something after (both her Disney connection and playing a leading role in most of the Beach Party films from AIP) and Annette is just a name that evokes the 50's and we have a 50's diner.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
scJm6ZQ.png

It is time that @NateD1226 and I are taking over as your hosts on this journey!

The Multiverse has transported us to an alternate reality… a reality where corporations have found a way to profit off of the internet's creativity! Welcome to the
MEMEverse, one of a few realities that have begun to merge together due to the Celestial Events and are now under the guidance of the Council of Disney CEOs. Functionally speaking though, this Universe is essentially the same as present day real life. Some aspects of the MEMEverse have even leaked into the real world due to the Celestial Events (Like the TikTok Ratatouille Musical getting an official concert)!

ikO8qlF.jpg

While Mickey and his allies seek to find Figment, you need to add a creative spark to one of Bob Chapek's many tone deaf edicts! Someone has taught Chapek about the concept of MEMEs and he has told his Imagineers that he wants to put MEMEs in the park! Though he was a bit vague about "how" deciding to leave that to the Imagineers to figured out.

For this challenge, teams will incorporate MEMEs into the Disney Parks! It is up to you to take this cynical, vague corporate mandate and turn it into something amazing that only Disney could do!

It can be as small as a new photo opt or as big as an entire park! The direction of the project is up to you to decide! But this round is a short one, so be careful not to break off more than you can chew here.

- This Challenge is meant to be simple (and intended to be a bit humorous), so don't overthink it too much
- Each season of SA has one quick challenge with a limit on how many sentences you can use, this stanza follows that tradition!

-There is a 20 sentence maximum limit for your project. Quality over quantity is emphasized. Take advantage of each sentence.
- You will Only Have roughly 48 Hours (and the rest of today) to Complete this Project!

GDG100159LARGE.jpg

Tips
- Have fun with it! This round is intentionally a bit goofier!
-Though just because a project is fun, doesn't mean it can't also be well executed!
- The writing has to be kept simpler, but that means this is a great way to work on other presentation styles!

Project Managers
Mind
- @Imagineer Brandon
Power
- @MickeyWaffleCo.
Soul
- @Lora Baines Bradley

This Project is due Tuesday, February 2nd at 11:59 PM EST

Time Zones
Orlando Time - 11:59 PM
Anaheim Time - 8:59 PM
Tokyo Time - 1:59 PM
Hong Kong Time - 12:59 PM
Paris Time - 5:59 AM
London Time - 4:59 AM

Any specific questions feel free to ask in your brainstorming PMs or below.
Thank you, best of luck everyone, and enjoy The Sorcerer’s Apprentice Season 7: FANTASMIC JOURNEYS!
The Council has decreed it!

Team Power's new PM is @TwilightZone! A Meme Master!

Outbound

Original Poster
What's the primary criteria for judging?
It’s a combination of whichever team is the most creative, most realistic, most detailed, and most unique in presentation style... relative to the other teams.

(Although there’s no formal rubric, it’s more us reading the projects, ranking them separately and then seeing where we agree / disagree.)

Ultimately, Team Power scored high in realism, but struggled a bit with detail and creativity compared to the other projects. That’s not to say it’s not very detailed and creative, just compared to the others we had to rank them.

AceAstro

Not to be the devil's advocate, but team power did have thorough descriptions of the themeing within bathrooms, descriptions of the technical workings of animatronics and special effects within shops, and custom thematic food and merchandise.
And that is true. But while there was lots of detail on the little stuff, the main headliner attraction was 3 paragraphs. When you know nothing about the facade, queue, exit, etc. It's hard to imagine that area.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
View attachment 528367View attachment 528368View attachment 528369
I don’t know if you used the link as well, but if you did, you would have seen two versions of the ice flume depending on budget.

I’ll admit our rides weren’t the most thorough, but had only 1 week for 2-3 lands made us focus on the lands itself instead of the rides as we felt that would be the priority in a land-based prompt.
Yes, but every detail in a land-based prompt counts. We just need to remember to put more detail into our attractions in the future, that’s all.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
View attachment 528367View attachment 528368View attachment 528369
I don’t know if you used the link as well, but if you did, you would have seen two versions of the ice flume depending on budget.

I’ll admit our rides weren’t the most thorough, but had only 1 week for 2-3 lands made us focus on the lands itself instead of the rides as we felt that would be the priority in a land-based prompt.
This is just supposed to be helpful advice:

Think about it from the guests’ perspective; what’s the main draw that brings folks in? It’s the rides/attractions. I LOVE EPCOT to an unhealthy degree, and I can spend a large part of a day there just enjoying the design, architecture, and music of the place. But would I go there if there wasn’t anything else to do? No, probably not. So just keep in mind that details really matter with attractions just as much, if not more, than some other details.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom