The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 6: ODYSSEY

Disney Dad 3000

I have most if not all of Season 4 saved, especially the artwork. The custom sites were lost for DLP Fantasyland and Brazil Adventureland, but the content is still in the PMs. The stuff that's missing comes from Season 2 with the custom sites that expired (Project 2: Howard Park, Project 4: Lord of the Rings, Project 6: Buccaneer Bay, Project 8: The Haunted Tower, Project 11: Cruise Ships), but artwork and the basics of the projects have been saved. Actually I'm pretty sure Tiki and Jokers reviewed every Season 2 project on podcasts back in 2015 so that can even serve as a catalog of the content.

I think that would be great. Getting as much of that content that is a little hidden and plus making sure to preserve all the content we still do have access to. So many websites, google sites, google slides, google docs, magazines, etc. out there over the years. Hate to lose any of that by sites going down or somebody accidentally deleting a doc/slide presentation.
Mentioned to Pi we could still make use of that great google doc with links to everything, but maybe there is one thread on the forum to catalog everything ever done. First post title page/table of contents that can perpetually get updated, and then all of the projects posted on the thread. Do links to websites, docs, etc. to preserve the original presentation as long as it lasts, but in the thread, put all of the data in forum posts for a back up and ease of reading for some folks either by doing screen shots of web pages, magazines, or copy/pasting all the write ups and artwork/photos we can. Those 50 page google docs would be a beast to get on here, but worth it in the long term I think when SAU season XXV rolls around.

TheOriginalTiki

Let's set the mood with some music that now actually fits the early 60's time period this project is set in, haha ;)

TheOriginalTiki Presents:
Sathington Saltwater’s Dream Pier
A five-year expansion to Disneyland Mumbai

Writing has always been my strong suit when it comes to these competitions. I’ve never had the technical know-how to make a great looking website like my competitors can even if I dabbled in the tools for hours on end. No…Prose is my strength. Prose is what I can do. With that in mind I’ve decided to base my final project off an old concept for a novel I’ve actually had since my college creative writing days.

The novel is heavily inspired by two things…The Great Gatsby from a character a plot perspective, and my reoccurring lucid dreams of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk…or at least a bizarre, over-expanded, crazy steampunk version of that park. The imagery of those dreams is what I used to craft the world in which this project takes place, and the people that inhabited it. What I’m proposing is essentially the next step up in the S.E.A. storyline. I’m picturing a land so dense with detail and personal mythology that it would literally take a short novel to explain how everything ties together.

Well that’s exactly what I’m going to do! This project isn’t exactly the full-length novel, but it’s certainly a taste of what this concept of mine would be like in book form and for my money is probably the most “prose” centric project in the history of the game. I'm going to take an artistic liberty with this and say no images are required. I'd rather you get your own mind's eye picture of the environment through my writing. This is a risky choice, but I'm sticking to it for the sake of the prose standing out all the more. Through these seven chapters, you’ll come to learn about the character of Sathington Saltwater and the vision behind his Dream Pier. You’ll also get wrapped up in a story of love, loss, betrayal, conflict, and most importantly the power of following your dreams for better or for worse.

Before I lay out a quick summation of the attractions at play within this expansion, I just what to implore anyone reading this project…be it a judge or spectator, to read through the whole thing, all seven documents, in the order in which I’ll be posting them. This isn’t a project you can skim. This is very literally a short novel that I feel will paint a FAR more vivid picture of the land than any other writing format can accomplish.

You’ll hear about all the details of the attractions within from the perspective of the characters that inhabit the physical space, and the story that weaves its way through the narrative is very important to the overall picture of what the Dream Pier represents. So please, treat this project as such. Even though the documents jump around in time, I’ve posted them in a very exact order to get the story across so please don’t jump around. With all that being said, let’s talk about what’s actually going to be in the expansion. Judges, you can use this space as an easy way to reference the individual attractions.

Year One: The Boardwalk Dream Parade will bring together all kinds of nautical homages to boardwalks long past, most notably Pacific Ocean Park which serves as a direct inspiration for the new land in the context of the story. This parade will roll out for 18 months before the opening of the new land to give guests of Mumbai Disneyland a flavor of the fantastical beachfront atmosphere the Dream Pier has in store.

Year Two: The Dream Pier opens its gates. The attractions available on opening day here very much mirror Pixar Pier. You’ve got an RMC coaster in the form of the Sea Serpent, a Ferris Wheel, and a quadruple decker carousel that serves as the “weenie” into the land. Besides popcorn and corndog carts, the main draw as far as snacks are concerned is a large-scale saltwater taffy store. Sathington Saltwater made his fortune creating different unique flavors of saltwater taffy, all of which will be available here.

Year Three: This is where things get serious. A large log flume opens that wraps around the bulk of the coaster. In addition, three flat rides also open…a variation on the classic pirate ship, a Golden Zephyr (not a clone of the DCA ride, but the same theme and visual look) and the Barbary Coastal Club Bar and Grill.

Year Four: Midway Mania, a shooter dark ride with a generic carnival games theme using PHYSICAL sets opens its doors, as well as a brand new night time spectacular

Year Five: Sathington Saltwater’s Tunnel of Love, the premiere E Ticket of the new land, finally opens its doors after the exterior sits closed for three long years…tempting guests and building up a mythology Haunted Mansion style

Document One.docx
Document Two.docx
Document Three.docx
Document Four.docx
Document Five.docx
Document Six.docx
Document Seven.docx

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Writing has always been my strong suit when it comes to these competitions. I’ve never had the technical know-how to make a great looking website like my competitors can even if I dabbled in the tools for hours on end. No…Prose is my strength. Prose is what I can do. With that in mind I’ve decided to base my final project off an old concept for a novel I’ve actually had since my college creative writing days.

The novel is heavily inspired by two things…The Great Gatsby from a character a plot perspective, and my reoccurring lucid dreams of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk…or at least a bizarre, over-expanded, crazy steampunk version of that park. The imagery of those dreams is what I used to craft the world in which this project takes place, and the people that inhabited it. What I’m proposing is essentially the next step up in the S.E.A. storyline. I’m picturing a land so dense with detail and personal mythology that it would literally take a short novel to explain how everything ties together.

Well that’s exactly what I’m going to do! This project isn’t exactly the full-length novel, but it’s certainly a taste of what this concept of mine would be like in book form and for my money is probably the most “prose” centric project in the history of the game. I'm going to take an artistic liberty with this and say no images are required. I'd rather you get your own mind's eye picture of the environment through my writing. This is a risky choice, but I'm sticking to it for the sake of the prose standing out all the more. Through these seven chapters, you’ll come to learn about the character of Sathington Saltwater and the vision behind his Dream Pier. You’ll also get wrapped up in a story of love, loss, betrayal, conflict, and most importantly the power of following your dreams for better or for worse.

Before I lay out a quick summation of the attractions at play within this expansion, I just what to implore anyone reading this project…be it a judge or spectator, to read through the whole thing, all seven documents, in the order in which I’ll be posting them. This isn’t a project you can skim. This is very literally a short novel that I feel will paint a FAR more vivid picture of the land than any other writing format can accomplish.

You’ll hear about all the details of the attractions within from the perspective of the characters that inhabit the physical space, and the story that weaves its way through the narrative is very important to the overall picture of what the Dream Pier represents. So please, treat this project as such. Even though the documents jump around in time, I’ve posted them in a very exact order to get the story across so please don’t jump around. With all that being said, let’s talk about what’s actually going to be in the expansion. Judges, you can use this space as an easy way to reference the individual attractions.

Year One: The Boardwalk Dream Parade will bring together all kinds of nautical homages to boardwalks long past, most notably Pacific Ocean Park which serves as a direct inspiration for the new land in the context of the story. This parade will roll out for 18 months before the opening of the new land to give guests of Mumbai Disneyland a flavor of the fantastical beachfront atmosphere the Dream Pier has in store.

Year Two: The Dream Pier opens its gates. The attractions available on opening day here very much mirror Pixar Pier. You’ve got an RMC coaster in the form of the Sea Serpent, a Ferris Wheel, and a quadruple decker carousel that serves as the “weenie” into the land. Besides popcorn and corndog carts, the main draw as far as snacks are concerned is a large-scale saltwater taffy store. Sathington Saltwater made his fortune creating different unique flavors of saltwater taffy, all of which will be available here.

Year Three: This is where things get serious. A large log flume opens that wraps around the bulk of the coaster. In addition, three flat rides also open…a variation on the classic pirate ship, a Golden Zephyr (not a clone of the DCA ride, but the same theme and visual look) and the Barbary Coastal Club Bar and Grill.

Year Four: Midway Mania, a shooter dark ride with a generic carnival games theme using PHYSICAL sets opens its doors, as well as a brand new night time spectacular

Year Five: Sathington Saltwater’s Tunnel of Love, the premiere E Ticket of the new land, finally opens its doors after the exterior sits closed for three long years…tempting guests and building up a mythology Haunted Mansion style

Document One.docx
Document Two.docx
Document Three.docx

First three chapters are up. The next three plus an epilogue will be posted as I get them written. Much like last project I'll let ya'll know when everything is in its finished form. As it stands now though, I don't plan to edit the individual documents after they've been posted. If judges want to get an early start I'd sort of encourage it, haha.

D Hulk

enhance

MUMBAI DISNEYLAND'S 10-YEAR ANNIVERSARY CAMPAIGN
FEATURING WILDERNESSLAND
COMPLETING THE ORIGINAL VISION FOR MUMBAI

NEW ORLEANS WATERFRONT READING MUSIC

YUKON VALLEY READING MUSIC

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
@Tux passed along the message that they will unfortunately not be able to complete the final project.
We wish them all the best and they've been a great, encouraging presence this season, a very talented writer, and a fun player! We can't wait to see what the future brings for them!

TheOriginalTiki

Let's set the mood with some music that now actually fits the early 60's time period this project is set in, haha ;)

Document One.docx
Document Two.docx
Document Three.docx
Document Four.docx
Document Five.docx
Document Six.docx
Document Seven.docx

Technically the last one was a literal minute late, but all seven documents are now up for your reading pleasure. I am beyond curious at how this creative gamble is going to turn out for me. If anything else it was a hell of a writing exercise.

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
And with that, the stanza is over and the final projects of the season have been submitted! We will do our best to get reviews and the final results out as soon as we can. Congrats again to everyone involved! This has been an amazing season and I've been truly honored to be a part of the legacy of the Sorcerer's Apprentice!

While you wait for reviews and the announcement of the winner, enjoy this slideshow of pictures from Figment and Yensid's interesting vacation!

giphy.gif

spacemt354

Chili's
Because it's the finale I don't want to give full reviews tonight as I usually do but I have read them and will give the "first reaction" thoughts

@TheOriginalTiki - Very creative, nuanced, but possibly at a risk! It's a lot to digest so I'm going to have to probably read it again to wrap my head around it to review it properly. The premise of the S.E.A. style characters is very compelling though and I'm a big fan of elaborate backstories, I just may be looking for more connections to the park, whereas this feels like its own entity, even if a very intriguing one.

@D Hindley - The map makes the park feel complete! Despite going the more traditional route, I feel like you continued the bright themes of the park especially with the multi-colored mountain range. The magazine was well made, visuals on point, some of the decisions (Mickey and Minnie adding more attractions near the entrance) I probably would have put that near the Mickey train station in fantasyland. This resort has been your passion project and it shows.

@Disney Dad 3000 - Continuing the magazine style - I really dig how you keep adding in more past SAU project ads as they go on. It's like we have our own Tarantino world. The strongest part of this ironically compared to Doug's was the Bollywood Mickey and Minnie - that was great. The Frontier area felt a little rushed though the attraction was neat; I think this project shined more in the smaller additions opposed to like Cars Land being the big hit of the DCA 5-year plan, and I did enjoy how you tied in your resort from last round.

TheOriginalTiki

@TheOriginalTiki - Very creative, nuanced, but possibly at a risk! It's a lot to digest so I'm going to have to probably read it again to wrap my head around it to review it properly. The premise of the S.E.A. style characters is very compelling though and I'm a big fan of elaborate backstories, I just may be looking for more connections to the park, whereas this feels like its own entity, even if a very intriguing one.

Oh, I know for a fact it was a risk. The thing was I could have incorporated some RCT3 screenshots and root images if I really wanted to, but instead I decided to go in the complete opposite direction with it and make the first project in the modern history of the game that's all prose, all the time. I very much plan on expanding this into a full novel in the future. I think what I have now is a really solid framework for a story if I can pad out the details, put in some more characters, and grow the dynamics and relationships in a more full-fledged way.

I totally get that I'm the underdog of these three from the perspective of tying it to Mumbai. To be honest, I didn't even really try because I knew it was @D Hindley's baby. My strategy for the final two rounds has always been to go against the curve, and I certainly think writing a literal novella qualifies as that. ;) I'm totally fine with third place. If I would have tried to go the artistic route there's no way I could have made anything even close to as good looking as my competitors so I think going the prose route was the right call at least as far as setting my project apart is concerned. By all means I'd like as much feedback as you can give me on the actual prose itself, not just the Imagineering parts of it. :) (Keeping in mind this is VERY MUCH a first draft and pretty much a sampling of what a full Sathington Saltwater novel would be like...the different documents, eccentric characters crossing over in each other's stories etc.)

On a side note, reading this over and there's definitely a couple continuity things I forgot to iron out. I left what happened to Sally a complete mystery (she ran away from the pier the night Sathington showed her the tunnel of love, wanting to get away from both him and her husband and start a new life) A bit more minor but in the first document I had the tunnel of love opening up in mid March of 1965 for some reason instead of the Fourth of July which is a really important plot point in document six because Sathington had a thing for timing major attraction openings to the Fourth of July and the Fourth of July represents his devotion to and love of Americana even after diving knee-deep into the Willy Wonka persona after loosing his hand in the war.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Like @spacemt354, I'm not doing full reviews tonight. I don't want them to seem rushed or full of sleepy typos. But I have fully read them and want to give a few quick thoughts. Mostly trying to praise my favorite aspects, and balance that with my main critique. Honestly though, all three projects are amazing! Any critiques are basically nitpicks at this point in the game. This is gonna be a very close race between three incredible projects!

@TheOriginalTiki this was an incredibly entertaining read and an incredibly creative and out of the box presentation. One part Great Gatsby, one part Tiger King, one part S.E.A., one part Verne... Not to mention a great cast of characters and a boardwalk theme which I adore! You definitely should write an actual book and consider me as your first buyer when you do. BUT as an imagineering project, the presentation overshadows the park addition. Do you go into enough detail for this as a theme park land and how this story connects to Mumbai Disneyland and how it is told in the park? It gets my imagination racing, but how many blanks should the readers be expecting to fill in for the context of this as a competition? This might be the review I'm both dreading the most to write and the most excited to write!

@D Hindley Mumbai has been a passion project for you from the start and seeing your incredibly high quality work finishing the park here is amazing! You take the basic Frontierland set up and do some truly unique and clever twists with it. Plus, some mostly solid additions to the rest of the park. BUT while this is an incredibly fresh take on the basic Frontierland, it is still just a new take on Frontierland. This might be a somewhat safe option for the theme. Safe isn't necessarily bad though. Sometimes the obvious choice is obvious for a reason: It's a good choice. Though it is still the safer theme compared to the other two projects.

@Disney Dad 3000 I loved the presentation and I think you had some incredibly strong ideas! My two personal ideas for what I would've done for this were either a Bollywood Studios land or a new take on Toon Town. Seeing those combined was such a simple yet inspired idea! I also loved how your project does such a good just building up a lot of smaller expansions, building the park as a whole rather than just a new land. BUT as much as I love the focus on a lot of smaller additions, it does make the project feel a bit unfocused. As I was reading, I kept feeling like it was building towards something, that Year 5 with the Lost Frontiers expansion would be the crown jewel of this project! But it feels like it just stops. A bit of an anti-climax, but I'm not even sure if that is a problem with the writing or with my own expectations of how these projects are usually put together. Bottom line, this is a project that focuses on many small expansions. The only question is, was that a stronger choice than using one bigger part as a centerpiece?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom